What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is rare to be born a human being. The number of those endowed with human life is as small as the amount of earth one can place on a fingernail. Life as a human being is hard to sustain— as hard as it is for the dew to remain on the grass. But it is better to live a single day with honor than to live to 120 and die in disgrace."

(The Three Kinds of Treasure - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 851) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, July 14th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Chinese premier Zhou Enlai (1898–1976) once said: 'What is the best way to die? Dying in action on the battlefield in the struggle against oppression.... But if there’s no need for such a struggle, just exert yourself wholeheartedly in your work.'[1] In other words, he is urging us to devote ourselves tirelessly to the welfare of the people and continue to do so as long as we live.

"Please never forget that the unchanging path of mentor and disciple in the SGI is to strive unstintingly, for as long as we live, for the happiness of our friends, our fellow members, and all humanity."

SGI Newsletter No. 8557, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [39] “The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra”—Part 1 [of 3], from the April 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai monthly study journal, translated 6th July 2012.

[1] Translated from Japanese. Takeo Arai, Shu Onrai no Jissen: Shidoryoku no Himitsu (Zhou Enlai in Action: The Secret to His Successful Leadership), (Tokyo: Ushio Shuppansha, 1979), p. 234.

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
The Truth is the Truth

The Truth is the Truth

"A pleasant greeting can instantly forge positive connections. It can create goodwill, even if it is your first encounter or the other person is someone you have trouble communicating with.

"When greeting others, it doesn’t matter if your greeting isn’t returned. Taking the lead in greeting others is important. Those who can respect others will be respected in turn. Those who can greet others cheerfully, sincerely, and warmly are truly admirable. Greeting others is an art that reflects one’s life-state.

"If you’re going to say 'Hello' 'Good morning,' 'Thank you,' or some such thing, please do so brightly. That way, you’ll lift not only the other person’s spirits but your own. Your positive energy will also set the tone for a great day ahead.

"Don’t hesitate to greet people and make new friends. By activating people’s Buddha nature, we call forth the positive functions of the universe, which will manifest as support and assistance from those around us."

SGI Newsletter No. 8552, To My Young Friends—Leaders of a New Age, [4] To Youth Entering the Workforce—Part 2 [of 3], from the May 23rd, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 29th June 2012.

Thankyou Thomas, this truth gives me positive re-enforcement through my daily karmic duties! If you chant you can grow(pun) with natures way.

Love the Chanting Growers ;)

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
By the way, we're now entering our ninth year. Thank you everyone!

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is because there are members who are selflessly, behind the scenes, making dedicated efforts to support our activities, that the momentum of our kosen-rufu movement advances. To all of our leaders, please do your utmost to discover these precious and most valuable members and make sure that their hard work and efforts are truly recognised and appreciated!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered."

(On Prayer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 345) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, July 14th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Learning from the Daishonin’s spirit, we of the SGI have set forth to accomplish kosen-rufu throughout Japan and the world. That is why it is so important for the SGI— and, in particular, the youth division—to advance with the firm conviction that we are the pillars of Japan and the world.

"When the pillars are solid and sturdy, the structure will be sound. When young people have profound and powerful conviction, humanity’s hopes for the future will be bright.

"I have mentioned this many times in the past, but I will never forget what Mr. Toda said when I asked him why it was important for us to strive in our Buddhist practice without begrudging our lives. He replied:

"'On our planet, people kill each other in wars; our economies are based on the survival of the fittest, and do not necessarily lead to human happiness; and many of society’s leaders, who by rights ought to help others, instead often look down on and exploit people. And the same kind of thing is found in such spheres as politics, science, education, and religion. Call it humanity’s karma, but society is complex and full of contradictions. Nowhere can we find a fundamental path to happiness for all people. Only Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism sets forth the means for fundamentally transforming our karma. It teaches the path of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity[1]—of eternal fulfillment and satisfaction. There is no higher path in life than this. That is why, if you devote yourself wholeheartedly to your Buddhist practice, you will never have regrets.'

"A life dedicated to the Mystic Law is truly noble and sublime. By taking the lead in the struggle against the devilish nature of authority, the Daishonin taught us the essence of leading a life without regrets.

SGI Newsletter No. 8557, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [39] “The Actions of the Votary of the Lotus Sutra”—Part 1 [of 3], from the April 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai monthly study journal, translated 6th July 2012.

[1] Eternity, happiness, true self, and purity are known as the four virtues. Describing the noble qualities of the Buddha’s life, the four are explained as follows: “eternity” means unchanging and eternal; “happiness” means tranquillity that transcends all suffering; “true self” means true and intrinsic nature; and “purity” means free of illusion or mistaken conduct.

Last edited:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
"And yet, though one might point at the earth and miss it, though one might bind up the sky, though the tides might cease to ebb and flow and the sun rise in the west, it could never come about that the prayers of the practitioner of the Lotus Sutra would go unanswered."

(On Prayer - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 345) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, July 14th, 2012

That's very encouraging...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"(When water is clear, the moon is reflected. When the wind blows, the trees shake.) Our minds are like the water. Faith that is weak is like muddy water, while faith that is brave is like clear water."

(Reply to the Lay Nun Nichigon - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 1079) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, July 15th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Now is the time for you to experience the essence of human revolution! Now is the time to begin your real struggle for kosen-rufu!"

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren's disciples cannot accomplish anything if they are cowardly."

(The Teaching, Practice, and Proof - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 481) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, June 24th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Prejudice is simply the unconscious acceptance of unsupported ideas. Buddhist dialogue is a struggle against such prejudice."

SGI Newsletter No. 8542, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 3, Gentle Breeze 12, translated 20th June 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The sutra states, 'Those persons who had heard the Law dwelled here and there in various Buddha lands, constantly reborn in company with their teachers.'"

(The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page ) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, July 16th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When one comes to realise and see that each thing--the cherry, the plum, the peach, the damson--in its own entity, without undergoing any change, possesses the eternally endowed three bodies, then this is what is meant by the word ryo, 'to include' or all inclusive."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 784, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 200) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, June 25th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Is there such a thing as a good personality or a bad personality? Is it bad to be timid? If everyone were assertive, the arguing would never stop! What about being quiet? If everyone were talkative, how could we stand the noise? It takes all kinds of people—vivacious, chatty people, people who listen quietly and intently, people who don’t say a lot but whose every word is worth its weight in gold. Many people find it difficult to speak in public or feel nervous when meeting someone new for the first time. I laud those who summon up their courage and break through their nervousness.

"...If you make a sincere effort, you can transform all your perceived shortcomings into strengths. And especially when you work towards a great goal that is bigger than yourself, you can make positive and valuable use of your unique personality traits in a way that is true to yourself."

SGI Newsletter No. 8543. Dialogue for the Future: Traveling the Path of Victory Together with You, A dialogue series addressing members of the junior high school division and high school division. [2] Let Your Unique Personality Shine!, from the June 1, 2012, issue of the Mirai [Future] Journal, translated 21st June 2012

Bonzo

Veteran
NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO :whee:

Good to see you Thomas! :woohoo:

tryin' to get some of my thoughts in a post...i think WAY too much...my thinking turns to procrastinating way too much...

things are great...but my life condition could and should be way better...if things are great why dont i FEEL as though they are?

i'll be back :D

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Good to see you Thomas! :woohoo:

tryin' to get some of my thoughts in a post...i think WAY too much...my thinking turns to procrastinating way too much...

things are great...but my life condition could and should be way better...if things are great why dont i FEEL as though they are?

i'll be back :D

Nam myoho renge kyo

Bonzo

Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

he he he Babba :D it IS as simple as that Babba...the crazy thing is i know and feel it with all my heart all the time...so why dont i open my Butsudan? as some of you know i am what is called a "fortune baby"...my mom took me with her to her meetings at her friend Setsu's house when i was a wee tot...Nam Myoho Renge Kyo has been runnin' through my head and heart for as long as i can remember...cant explain it but its just allways been there...brings me back to procrastination...do i like to suffer? no i dont...but alot of my life has been spent in self induced suffering...to a degree...so pain is familiar...like an old coat...am i afriad to throw away my old coat?

dont get me wrong...im not depressed and negative all the time...im sober...my bills are paid (this month) i have food and a house...things could be and have been WAY worse...put it this way...lately when i ride my bike i dont feel as gratefull to have 2 legs to peddle and two eyes to see my way...

poor fuckin' me huh!? haaaaaaa that made me laugh!! true though...sounds like a load of self pity...thats horseshit! gotta snap out this...

crazy huh...:crazy:

im gonna open the doors on my butsudan...

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
he he he Babba :D it IS as simple as that Babba...the crazy thing is i know and feel it with all my heart all the time...so why dont i open my Butsudan? as some of you know i am what is called a "fortune baby"...my mom took me with her to her meetings at her friend Setsu's house when i was a wee tot...Nam Myoho Renge Kyo has been runnin' through my head and heart for as long as i can remember...cant explain it but its just allways been there...brings me back to procrastination...do i like to suffer? no i dont...but alot of my life has been spent in self induced suffering...to a degree...so pain is familiar...like an old coat...am i afriad to throw away my old coat?

dont get me wrong...im not depressed and negative all the time...im sober...my bills are paid (this month) i have food and a house...things could be and have been WAY worse...put it this way...lately when i ride my bike i dont feel as gratefull to have 2 legs to peddle and two eyes to see my way...

poor fuckin' me huh!? haaaaaaa that made me laugh!! true though...sounds like a load of self pity...thats horseshit! gotta snap out this...

crazy huh...:crazy:

im gonna open the doors on my butsudan...

"It is important that we put daimoku first. We must start by earnestly chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Why do we chant? To strengthen our lives and bring out our potential to the fullest extent.

"Nichiren Daishonin writes: 'The mighty sword of the Lotus Sutra [Nam-myoho-renge-kyo] must be wielded by one courageous in faith. Then one will be as strong as a demon armed with an iron staff' (WND-1, 412).

"We need to break through the limitations of our lesser self and devote ourselves wholeheartedly to spreading the Mystic Law—discarding the negligent tendency to cut corners and do the least amount of work possible and the arrogance to think that our own shallow strategies will somehow carry us through. Nothing is more powerful than chanting daimoku based on the vow to win for the sake of kosen-rufu."

SGI Newsletter No. 8532, Humanistic Teachings for Victory, (3) The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra—Winning Based on Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Put Daimoku First, from the 7th March, 2012, issue of the Soka Shimpo, translated 7th June 2012

:laughing: [HA! I had this quote qued up before I signed on and saw what you had written Bonz! See? Gohonzon knows everything. What you are experiencing is the negative influence of karma created by your own deeds. Rinse off the dust of slander with the pure water of faith in the Gohonzon! I am counting on the fact that you will indeed open the doors of your Butsudan. AND CHANT DAIMOKU!!!]

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.