What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's transform sorrow into joy. Let's transform dispair into hope. That is why we chant! Let's make up our mind that we will win no matter what and advance based on daimoku.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When we revere Myoho-renge- kyo inherent in our own life as the object of devotion, the Buddha nature within us is summoned forth and manifested by our chanting of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. This is what is meant by 'Buddha.'"

(How Those Initially Aspiring to the Way Can Attain Buddhahood through the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 887) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, April 26, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In an age where the future is uncertain, wisdom and courageous action will open the way forwards. The supreme wisdom and best course of action come from chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, for nothing surpasses the “strategy of the Lotus Sutra.” There is no impasse we cannot break through based on faith in the Mystic Law. Let’s challenge all of life’s inevitable struggles with a positive spirit, always making our way with joy and vigour."

SGI Newsletter No. 8495, On Our Shared Journey for Kosen-rufu, (8) All Our Efforts for Kosen-rufu Are Transformed into Benefit, from the 1st April, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated 24th April 2012.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's having a clear and confident voice of truth and justice that inspires the heart of the person we are talking with. Remember that "The voice carries out the work of the Buddha."* For the sake of our friends let's muster up the courage and talk with them about this Buddhism!

Daisaku Ikeda

*"Ongi-kuden"- Gosho Zenshu, page 708, "The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings", page 4

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The aim of the Lotus Sutra is to enable all living beings to attain enlightenment. To make that possible in the Latter Day, the Daishonin uttered the mighty lion’s roar of the daimoku, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, revealing the fundamental Law of the universe on April 28, 1253. From that time on, while battling great persecutions, he strove tirelessly to teach and convert all people.

"The Daishonin understood that the enlightenment of all people, including eminent priests and samurai warriors, could only be possible through having firm conviction in the Buddhist teachings and establishing unshakable faith based on selfless dedication to the Law.

"On September 21st, 1279, twenty farmers who were followers of the Daishonin were arrested on false charges of stealing rice in Atsuhara, Suruga Province (present-day central Shizuoka Prefecture), a region where the Daishonin’s followers were facing a storm of harsh oppression. The incident is known as the Atsuhara Persecution.

"Those farmer-believers, however, remained unflinching in their faith, refusing to recant even when they were tortured. In the end, three central figures in the group—Jinshiro, Yagoro, and Yarokuro—who remained passionately committed to their faith to the end, were executed by the authorities.

"They were all farmers, not priests. In addition, they’d been practising this Buddhism for less than a year. Even so, they had been able to establish selfless faith that enabled them to attain Buddhahood in this lifetime. Twenty-seven years after the Daishonin began to chant daimoku, they stood as proof that his vow to lead all living beings to Buddhahood could be fulfilled. The Daishonin’s conviction, 'Can there be any doubt that . . . the great pure Law of the Lotus Sutra will be spread far and wide throughout Japan and all the other countries of Jambudvipa [the entire world]?' (WND-1, 550), was no doubt further reinforced
by this.

"'The Law does not spread by itself: because people propagate it, both people and the Law are respectworthy' (GZ, 856)."

SGI Newsletter No. 8505, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 2, Shared Struggle 40, translated April 27th, 2012.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Now, no matter what, strive in faith and be known as a votary of the Lotus Sutra, and remain my disciple for the rest of your life."

(The True Aspect of All Phenomena - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 385) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, April 16th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Daishonin discusses 'treating one’s friends with courtesy' (WND-2, 636). He says: 'Although one may encounter them ten or twenty times in the course of a single day, one greets them courteously as though they had travelled a thousand or two thousand miles to see one, never showing them indifference' (WND-2, 636).

"This resonates with the spirit of discussion meetings and other SGI activities. If someone rushes in late, we should greet them warmly and thank them for making the effort to attend in spite of their busy schedule. The SGI must always be a realm of warmth and reassurance.

"Courtesy doesn’t mean empty formality. It’s our sincerity that counts, our respect for the other person, which manifests in our voice, our expression, and our actions.

"'The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behaviour as a human being' (WND-1, 852), asserts the Daishonin. It would be no exaggeration to say, therefore, that the aim of Buddhism is to teach us the highest path of human behaviour, which is exemplified by the practice of respecting others demonstrated by Bodhisattva Never Disparaging[1] in the Lotus Sutra.

"Referring to the passage from the Lotus Sutra, 'If you see a person who accepts and upholds this sutra, you should rise and greet him from afar, showing him the same respect you would a Buddha' (LSOC28, 365 [LS28, 324]), the Daishonin describes it as 'the foremost point [Shakyamuni] wished to convey to us' (OTT, 192).

"Underlying the teaching of treating one’s friends with courtesy is the importance of respect for all people."

SGI Newsletter No. 8487, Learning from the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin: The Teachings for Victory, [36] “The Four Virtues and the Four Debts of Gratitude.” Youth, Become Champions of Humanism Who Shine with the Supreme Philosophy of the Mystic Law!, from the January 2012 issue of the Daibyakurenge, translated April 6th, 2012.

[1] Bodhisattva Never Disparaging: A bodhisattva described in the “Bodhisattva Never Disparaging” (20th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra. This bodhisattva, Shakyamuni in a previous lifetime, would bow respectfully to the four kinds of believers—monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen—greeting them with the words: “I have profound reverence for you, I would never dare treat you with disparagement or arrogance. Why? Because you will all practice the bodhisattva way and will then be able to attain Buddhahood” (LSOC20, 308 [LS20, 266–67]). However, he was attacked by arrogant people, who beat him with sticks and staves and threw stones at him. The sutra explains that his practice of respecting others’ Buddha nature became the cause for him to attain Buddhahood.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Today I'm determined to chant 5 hours for a successful exam this week and for my constant gratitude (and eternal appreciation) for the chanting growers and my friends who truly helped me start this practice. I'll be chanting for you today! I'm so fortunate to be able to make this determination based on faith in the Gohonzon.

Like the roar of the lion, "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!"

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is our young people who will open up a new era. There is no need for you to be afraid of making mistakes. Boldly, cheerfully, and so that you have no regrets, let's win in today's challenges!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I entrust you with the propagation of Buddhism in your province."

(The Properties of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1117) Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, April 28th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Propagation succeeds through winning the trust of others as a human being."

SGI Newsletter No. 8504, The New Human Revolution––Vol. 25: Chap. 2, Shared Struggle 38, translated April 27th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Friendships are life's treasures. Let's cherish our old friendships and at the same time let's take every possible opportunity to make new ones. Associating with good people creates for a wonderful opportunity to improve ourselves.*

Daisaku Ikeda

*"How gratifying! You have associated with a friend in the orchid room and have become as straight as mugwort growing among hemp." ("A friend in the orchid room" indicates a person of virtue. The implication is that the company of a virtuous person works as a good influence, just as one is imbued with fragrance on entering a room filled with orchids. It is said that mugwort supported by hemp plants grows upright.) - "On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land", WND-I, page 23

easyDaimoku

Veteran
President Ikeda's Most Recent Guidance:

President Ikeda's Most Recent Guidance:

April 29, 2012

--TO MY FRIENDS--
Take precautions to
prevent traffic accidents.
Let's abide by traffic regulations
such as adhering to set speed limits
and not using mobile phones
while driving.
Remaining accident-free is victory.

Translation of "To My Friends" published in the Seikyo Shimbun, based on President Ikeda's recent guidance, with universal value and application.

--わが友に贈る--
 交通事故に注意!
 制限速度の厳守
 携帯電話の禁止など
 ルールを守れ!
 無事故が勝利だ。

--WAGA TOMO NI OKURU--
KOTSU IKO NI CHUI!
SEIGEN SOKUDO NO GENSHU
KEITAI DENWA NO KINSHI NADO
RURU O MAMORE!
MUJIKO GA SHORI DA.

easyDaimoku

Veteran
"Little streams come together to form the great ocean, and tiny particles of dust accumulate to form Mount Sumeru. When I, Nichiren, first took faith in the Lotus Sutra, I was like a single drop of water or a single particle of dust in all the country of Japan. But later, when two people, three people, ten people, and eventually a hundred, a thousand, ten thousand, and a million people come to recite the Lotus Sutra and transmit it to others, then they will form a Mount Sumeru of perfect enlightenment, an ocean of great nirvana."
The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 579
The Selection of the Time
Written to Yui in 1275

easyDaimoku

Veteran
May 1st:

Easy's words of Appreciation

Today we begin our day with daimoku
Today we refresh our vow
Winning at everything we do
Helping Everyone we can!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"But my life from the beginning has been based upon firm conviction. I have no intention now of reversing my course, nor will I ever reproach [those who persecuted me]. Evil persons too will be good friends to me."

(Why No Protection from the Heavenly Gods? - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 432) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 30th, 2012

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
May, the month for renewing our great vow for kosen-rufu is here.
Nichiren Daishonin's words call to us:
"This is my vow, and I will never forsake it!"*
Let's courageously clear the way
towards victory for kosen-rufu
and victory in our own lives.

Daisaku Ikeda

(*)"Opening of the Eyes, Part Two," WND I p. 281

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'When a tree has been transplanted, though fierce winds may blow, it will not topple if it has a firm stake to hold it up. But even a tree that has grown up in place may fall over if its roots are weak.'

- From “Three Tripitaka Masters Pray for Rain” (WND-1, 598).

"People who have the support of others are strong. They are undefeatable. With the solid support of good friends, we can weather all storms of adversity to achieve a life of happiness and victory.

"Offering encouragement means imparting boundless strength.[1] Having sincere dialogues with others is simple and low key, but it is the way to forge the strongest heart-to-heart bonds and build the most unshakable trust."

SGI Newsletter No. 8501, Living the Gosho: Words of Encouragement from SGI President Ikeda, (75) Encouragement Imparts Boundless Strength, from the April 21st, 2012, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, the Soka Gakkai daily newspaper, translated April 26th, 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.