What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EasyMyohoDisco

Hi Bentom,

What's up Buddy? Thanks for the offer, but Nichiren Daishonin's advent in the world was to really enable everyone to cherish each and every individual. Through the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin, we have studied why the Heart Sutra is really of little (minuscule) to no value for people living in our modern day. Here is the definition from the SGI Dictionary first:

Heart Sutra
[般若心経] (Skt Prajnaparamita-hridaya-sutra; Chin Pan-jo-hsin-ching; Jpn Hannya-shin-gyo )
Also known as the Heart of Wisdom Sutra. A short sutra containing the essence of the Wisdom sutras and briefly describing the nonsubstantiality or emptiness of all phenomena. Translated into Chinese by Hsüan-tsang in 649, its full title is the Heart of the Perfection of Wisdom Sutra. The original Sanskrit text and its Tibetan translation are extant, and there are several other Chinese translations, including that of Kumarajiva. Many commentaries on the Heart Sutra were produced in China and Japan, and in Japan it is one of the most popular sutras, revered particularly by the Zen and True Word (Shingon) schools

The reason why I don't immediately disregard this teaching of the historical Buddha, Shakymuni (or Siddartha Guatama), is because Kumarajiva also translated it as a means to exercise preservation and ultimate respect for the the Buddha of True Effect (Shakymuni) because Nichiren (The Buddha of True Cause) did not yet appear in this world when this translation from Sanskrit to an older form of Chinese was made. However, this Heart Sutra directly lends support to the erroneous and non-beneficial practices of the Zen and True World schools, which Nichiren heavily admonished throughout his lifetime.

It really boils down to what is the correct teaching for The Latter Day of the Law (now or the fifth five hundred year period [since Shakymuni] that will last for over 10,000 years). Nichiren proved with his life and many chanting growers also agree the actual proof we obtain in this practice is the validation of The Lotus Sutra above all other Sutras. To me it is like comparing a teaching that enables the way for all against other teachings that only try and piecemeal an expedient means to lead those with an ancient frame of mind towards the true intent of The Lotus Sutra, which is to enable all people to attain Buddhahood in this lifetime. The Heart Sutra does not say that women can attain Buddhahood in this lifetime, where would that leave the women in your life or Mrs.Babba, Stonegirl, Little Ms. Disco, Little Ms. Doobie, Little Ms. Doobie Jr., Trichy, Dutchgrown, GeorgiaLou, and many others....

Here is some info on the Lotus Sutra (from: http://www.sgi.org/buddhism/buddhist-concepts/the-lotus-sutra.html ) :

THE LOTUS SUTRA

"A core theme of the sutra is the idea that all people equally and without exception possess 'Buddha nature.' The message of the Lotus Sutra is to encourage people's faith in their own Buddha nature, their own inherent capacity for wisdom, courage and compassion."

The teachings of Shakyamuni, the historical founder of Buddhism, are recorded in an enormous body of texts, known as sutras. The manner in which the philosophy of Buddhism is presented within the sutras varies widely. This can be explained by a number of factors. During the some 50 years over which Shakyamuni shared his teachings with the people of his day, he traveled widely throughout India. Rather than expounding his philosophy in a systematic manner, his teaching mainly took the form of dialogue. Meeting with people from a wide range of backgrounds--from ministers of state to unlettered men and women--he sought to respond to their questions and doubts. Most of all, he sought to provide answers to the fundamental questions of human existence: Why is it that we are born and must meet the inevitable sufferings of illness, aging and death?

The sutras were compiled in the years following the death of Shakyamuni; it is thought that the Lotus Sutra was compiled between the first and second century C.E. In Sanskrit it is known as the Saddharmapundarika-sutra (lit. "correct dharma white lotus sutra"). Like many Mahayana sutras, the Lotus Sutra spread through the "northern transmission" to Central Asia, China, Korea and Japan. Originally entering China in the third century C.E., the Lotus Sutra is said to have been translated into several different versions of the Chinese, of which three complete versions are extant. The fifth-century translation of Kumarajiva (344-413 C.E.) is considered to be particularly outstanding; its philosophical clarity and literary beauty are thought to have played a role in the widespread veneration of this sutra throughout East Asia.

The title of the Lotus Sutra in Kumarajiva's translation, Myoho-renge-kyo, contains the essence of the entire sutra, and it was on the basis of this realization that Nichiren (1222-1282 C.E.) established the invocation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as his core Buddhist practice.

The Lotus Sutra is considered the sutra that fulfills the purpose for Shakyamuni's advent in the world, expressed in these words: "At the start I took a vow, hoping to make all persons equal to me, without any distinction between us." In other words, the purpose of Shakyamuni's advent was to enable all people to attain the same state of perfect enlightenment that caused him to be known as "Buddha," or "awakened one."

The Lotus Sutra contains a number of concepts that were revolutionary both within the context of Buddhist teachings and within the broader social context of the time. Many of these are not stated explicitly but are implied or materialized in the dramatic and even fantastic-seeming events portrayed in the text. Much of the genius of later scholars of the sutra, such as T'ien-t'ai (538-597 C.E.), lay in their ability to extract and systematize these principles.

A core theme of the sutra is the idea that all people equally and without exception possess the "Buddha nature." The message of the Lotus Sutra is to encourage people's faith in their own Buddha nature, their own inherent capacity for wisdom, courage and compassion. The universal capacity for enlightenment is demonstrated through the examples of people for whom this possibility had traditionally been denied, such as women and people who had committed evil deeds.

In many sutras a number of Shakyamuni's senior disciples are condemned as people who have, through arrogant attachment to their intellectual abilities and their self-absorbed practice, "scorched the seeds of their own enlightenment." The profundity of Shakyamuni's teachings in the Lotus Sutra, however, awakens in them the spirit of humility and compassion. They realize that all people are inextricably interlinked in their quest for enlightenment, and that if we desire happiness ourselves, it is imperative that we work for the happiness of others.

In this sutra, moreover, Shakyamuni demonstrates that he actually attained enlightenment in the infinite past, not in his current lifetime as had been assumed by his followers. This illustrates, through the concrete example of his own life, that attaining enlightenment does not mean to change into or become something one is not. Rather, it means to reveal the inherent, "natural" state that already exists within.

As Daisaku Ikeda has written, the Lotus Sutra is ultimately a teaching of empowerment. It "teaches us that the inner determination of an individual can transform everything; it gives ultimate expression to the infinite potential and dignity inherent in each human life."

I hope this helps and please keep on posting! Thank you!

Mondo respect,
EasyMyohoDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDisco!

bentom187

Veteran
my appologies folks,i thought i made a good discovery on youetube and got ahead of myself without checking the correct sutra for you .
i didnt know it discriminated against women,i thought all sentiant beings would be able to attain enlightement,conciousness is conciousness to me anyway.

i observe as many lessons from buddhisim as possible,it doesnt matter that somone may have been slightly ignorant back then, i know the difference and ignore those small foul ups.

i thought your post was informative thank you.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

HI Bentom,

Thank you so much! I did not intend any disrespect or did not want to put down your kind offer either! However, as per the guidance I have received from this thread over the last five (5) years, it has become absolutely clear to me that I should err on the side of caution when it comes to how I practice Buddhism. The methods and approaches we take will always vary, but as long as we find a middle way and work together to gain a better understanding each day then I am very comfortable and happy.

After reading your post, I feel at ease because I also have read many other types of Buddhist doctrines and in particular those that even try to split hairs with this particular form of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism which is practiced and protected by the SGI. The Soka Gakkai International has really helped me find the right books, senior members in faith and references to continue to grow in faith everyday.

Truly faith is a marvelous thing, but even more potent is our daimoku. By chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo everyday to the Gohonzon, I am gaining Buddha wisdom and also learning to advance with a greater purpose based on the happiness of all humans throughout the world. I recently read that in the Latter day of The Law (now) there are two kinds of countries: those that actively seek to destroy the Mystic Law and those that passively slander the Mystic Law. Truly our mission as Bodhisattvas of Earth is just beginning with every next day. I welcome the challenge of having to assume my true identity as Sovereign, Teacher and Parent to all people.

In this age we live, who is better equipped than the Bodhisattvas of the Earth to fight slander and usher in an age of Peace during this time of uncertainty? Its us Bentom! 187 on the Devil of the Sixth Heaven and onward and upward my friend!!!

I salute your kind heart and desire to spread happiness! Thanks again friend, I appreciate your post.

Here's what I've been doing lately....
:cathug::rtfo::headbange:smoke out::yay::plant grow: "AND LOTS OF CHANTING WITH YOUTH DIVISION!"

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Iron, when heated in the flames and pounded, becomes a fine sword."

(Letter from Sado - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 303) Selection source: "Yuki no Izumi", Seikyo Shimbun, April 17th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In the Lotus Sutra only the Buddha's disciples from beginningless time were entrusted with the mission of propagating the Mystic Law in the Latter Day, which is to say, those propagating the Law in the present age are just such disciples and Bodhisattvas of the Earth. For disciples of the Daishonin, genuine faith and practice are found within the courageous struggle to further kosen-rufu in the Latter Day of the Law. As the Lotus Sutra states: 'He or she is the envoy of the thus come one. He has been dispatched by the thus come one and carries out the thus come one's work' (LSOC10, 200).

"...The Bodhisattvas of the Earth do not act because someone tells them to. Because their lives are dedicated to the Mystic Law inherent in the universe, they spontaneously chant daimoku and contribute to world peace and the welfare of society, as naturally as plants and trees grow from the earth.

"...Josei Toda always said: 'The Soka Gakkai is a gathering of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth entrusted by Nichiren Daishonin to propagate the Mystic Law in the present age, the Latter Day of the Law. It is an organisation functioning in complete accord with the Buddha's intent and decree.'"

SGI Newsletter No. 8211, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 24: Chap. 2, Vigilant Safeguarding 43, translated April 14th, 2011

Once you get this you will dedicate your life to the propogation of the message at any cost! This is because the power in this practice is beyond anything in the physical world. It is impossible to not spread this message when you see what it does to your life, knowing that it can do the same to everyone else's, so long as they choose to walk the path for themselves!

Thank you PTD! I appreciate your efforts immeasurably. ( Cuban bows in obeisance to PTD, and passes him a big phat doobie of Chemdog X SSSDH IX (someone I know crossed this. ;))

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We invite you to read more of the thread!

We invite you to read more of the thread!

thanks EMD, i found a great website that offers some insight to this very subject,i have just read the article in the link,it has straightened some things out for me.
this thread and its supporters are great theres plenty of enlightenment here,myho renge kyo.

But also understand and respect what this thread is about, Brother Bentom. The thread isn’t about Buddhism in general--or even specifically the teachings of the historical Buddha, Shakyamuni of India. We are all Nichiren Buddhists. And what this thread is about is Nichiren Buddhism, and Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Please don’t post links that are in conflict with that.

And I say that in respect, and with a real understanding that you probably don’t understand why that would be such a big deal, but it is. The facts behind why this is so are the reason this thread is approaching 1000 pages. Most of that is doctrine, not personal commentary.

So read the thread Brother! And try chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! And please do me the personal favor of doing your best to spell it correctly. Even if you don’t understand why, please understand that some of us think it really important to tell you that.

Thank you!!!

Thomas :wave:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Yet you must grit your teeth and never slacken in your faith. Be as fearless as Nichiren when he acted and spoke out before Hei no Saemonnojo."

(Letter to the Brothers - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 498) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, April 16th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'The Benefits of Responding with Joy' (18th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra teaches each of us to strive in accord with our own ability to 'put forth effort in preaching and expounding' the Law (LSOC18, 286). There's no need to feel pressure to do things a certain way. The important thing is to chant to the Gohonzon honestly, and talk to others sincerely and confidently. Through such continued efforts, we will naturally come to develop a life-state in which we can warmly embrace and support others. The desire to help others will well forth within us.

"In any case, the more we summon forth our courage and talk to others based on chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the more we will be able to help them form a connection with the Daishonin's Buddhism, contributing not only to their happiness but also our own.

"The ancient Indian poet Tiruvalluvar wrote: 'Don't turn away, thinking it is hard work; with right effort you'll come through.'"

SGI Newsletter No. 8203, OUR BRILLIANT PATH TO VICTORY, The Great Light of the Westward Transmission of Buddhism--Part 2 [of 2], from the February 19th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 6th, 2011

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of the efforts that we have made
to help others to form a connection with Buddhism
will become priceless treasures and adorn our lives.*
Let's muster up all our courage and share this Buddhism
with as many people as we possibly can!
Let's have conversations that are brimming with sincerity
and that really do strike a chord in other's hearts.

Daisaku Ikeda

*"Single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo and urge others to do the same; that will remain as the only memory of your present life in this human world."- "Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra", WND-I, page 64

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'The Benefits of Responding with Joy' (18th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra teaches each of us to strive in accord with our own ability to 'put forth effort in preaching and expounding' the Law (LSOC18, 286). There's no need to feel pressure to do things a certain way. The important thing is to chant to the Gohonzon honestly, and talk to others sincerely and confidently. Through such continued efforts, we will naturally come to develop a life-state in which we can warmly embrace and support others. The desire to help others will well forth within us.

"In any case, the more we summon forth our courage and talk to others based on chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the more we will be able to help them form a connection with the Daishonin's Buddhism, contributing not only to their happiness but also our own.

"The ancient Indian poet Tiruvalluvar wrote: 'Don't turn away, thinking it is hard work; with right effort you'll come through.'"

SGI Newsletter No. 8203, OUR BRILLIANT PATH TO VICTORY, The Great Light of the Westward Transmission of Buddhism--Part 2 [of 2], from the February 19th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 6th, 2011

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So read the thread Brother! And try chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! And please do me the personal favor of doing your best to spell it correctly. Even if you don’t understand why, please understand that some of us think it really important to tell you that.

Thank you!!!

And for the record, having someone tell me I had mis-spelled Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and insisting I correct it, inititated the beginning of my practice almost forty years ago.

Bowing in humble obeisance,

T

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The True Entity of Life (The True Aspect of All Phenomena) continued

The Highest Praise for the Votaries

When one is praised highly by others, he feels there is no hardship he cannot bear. Such is the courage which springs from words of praise. The votary born in the Latter Day of the Law who propagates the Lotus Sutra will encounter the three powerful enemies, (note) who will cause him to be exiled and even sentence him to death. Yet Shakyamuni Buddha will enfold in his robe of mercy those who nonetheless persevere in propagating. All gods will make them offerings, support them with their shoulders and carry them on their backs. They possess supreme good fortune and qualify as leaders of all mankind. Thus extolled by Shakyamuni Buddha, Taho Buddha and all of the other Buddhas and bodhisattvas, the seven ranks of heavenly gods and five ranks of earthly gods, Kishimojin and her ten daughters, the Four Heavenly Kings, Bonten, Taishaku, King Enma, the gods of the waters and winds, the gods of the seas and mountains, Dainichi Buddha, Bodhisattvas Fugen and Monju and the gods of the sun and the moon, Nichiren has been able to endure countless harsh trials. When praised, one does not consider his personal risk, and when criticized, he can recklessly cause his own ruin. Such is the way of common mortals.

(note)[Three types of people described in the Kanji (13th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra who will persecute those who propagate the sutra in the evil age after the Buddha's death. They are: 1) lay people ignorant of Buddhism who denounce and persecute the votaries of the Lotus Sutra; 2) arrogant and cunning priests who slander them; and 3) influential figures who induce those in power to exile or execute them.] [Inserted by PTD: As you read below, be aware that the Buddha "Taho" referred to below, is the Buddha many of you know as "Many Treasures"]

As a common mortal, Nichiren Daishonin was exiled and even sentenced to death. Still, against all odds, he valiantly continued to spread the Law. Why? Here he explains the reason. It was because, in the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni, Taho, all the other Buddhas, and all bodhisattvas and heavenly gods give only the highest praise to those who propagate the sutra in the Latter Day of the Law. In short, the Daishonin was entirely committed to the Lotus Sutra.

"Shakyamuni Buddha will enfold in his robe of mercy those who . . ." means that he will entitle the votaries of the Lotus Sutra to be his true disciples. He will recognize them as his own children and embrace them with his unbounded mercy. "All gods will make them offerings, support them with their shoulders and carry them on their backs" signifies favorable changes in the votaries' surroundings. To become 'the future leaders of mankind" means that they will increase in wisdom and become perceptive, reliable leaders of the people in all areas of society. These suggest the benefits which accrue from doing shakubuku.

Then comes the phrase, "Thus extolled by Shakyamuni Buddha, Taho Buddha . . ." From the Buddhist standpoint, this means that one who embraces the Mystic Law can set everything in motion --- be it the universe, natural surroundings, or people --- and that rhythm will work to protect him. To be praised "by Shakyamuni Buddha, Taho Buddha and all of the other Buddhas" denotes that all the Buddhas in the entire universe will protect the votary of the Lotus Sutra. How reassuring! Wherever he goes, a bright world of human revolution will always unfold before him, where everything is tuned to the rhythm of the mystic Law.

Specifically, "Shakyamuni Buddha" indicates the enlightened wisdom that wells up in the votary's life. "Taho Buddha (Many Treasures)" signifies the actual verification of faith by the blessings the votary receives in the objective world, that is, in his life and environment. "All of the other Buddhas" denotes the Buddhahood within all the people he finds around him. To be praised by bodhisattvas means that everything in nature and society will work in such a way as to protect him. Not only will he himself be able to fully manifest the Bodhisattva power inherent in him --- he power to save and give happiness to other people --- but the leaders of society, who base their actions on mercy, will also support him and be willing to work for him. The seven ranks of heavenly gods and five ranks of earthly gods (the latter include the Sun Goddess, Tensho Daijin) are deities of Japan who are said to have existed since before the time of the first emperor. All of these deities in heaven and on earth will function as Buddhist gods, just as an old saying goes, Heaven knows, earth knows, man knows."

I will touch only briefly on Kishimojin and her ten daughters, since they are quite well known. They were vicious demons before meeting the Buddha, but in the Lotus Sutra they rank among those creatures who protect the votary. They used to feed on the lives of people; now they devour the evil in human lives and promote good. For those who embrace the Mystic Law, they appear as functions to remove causes for unhappiness. The Four Heavenly Kings, Bonten, Taishaku and King Enma symbolize the functions that maintain order in the universe, nature and society. With respect to society, for instance, they denote its leaders, and the power to act for social good.

The gods of the waters, winds, seas and mountains are blessings and functions of nature. Waters and winds have their respective uses and powers. Mountains and seas have lives of their own. All of them are manifestations of the life of the Mystic Law. Therefore, they always work to protect those who practice the Mystic Law. No matter how strong the winds of difficulty or how high the waves of hardship, believers in true Buddhism are invariably protected, as countless experiences testify.

Dainichi is one of the Buddhas present in the ceremony of the Lotus Sutra. He represents one aspect of life force. Fugen refers to learning and Monju, wisdom. The votary of the Lotus Sutra will be enveloped in the light of learning and wisdom. The god of the sun signifies the sun's energy, which nurtures all living things and thereby provides human beings with their glowing life force. The god of the moon symbolizes all that is serene. Casting its soft light, it brings calmness and peace to the people's minds. Thus, all things in the universe, both animate and inanimate, help, protect, embrace and work for those who maintain faith in the Mystic Law.

Now to go on to the phrase, "Nichiren has been able to endure countless harsh trials." We live in the saha world, one in which people have to bear all sorts of suffering. It is such a harsh world that whenever we try to do anything at all, we face severe obstacles. Since we must endure anyway, let us do so for the propagation of the Mystic Law. There may be times when we will have to carry out that task even at the cost of our lives. However, when we endure for the sake of the Mystic Law, the Buddhas and Buddhist gods will never fail to come and protect us. This is the Daishonin's conviction that accrued from his enlightenment.

The phrase, "When praised.... Such is the way of common mortals," is an insightful thrust into human psychology. They tend to sacrifice themselves when they are praised as well as when they are slandered. In the former, they gladly take on pain. But if they are condemned or criticized or scorned, they often do something foolish and reckless, not knowing that it will thereby bring about their own ruin.

That phrase teaches us a good lesson we must not forget. In our struggle for kosen-rufu, it is important that we praise other members for their efforts and achievements. Encouragement will make them more courageous and build their confidence to continue their march forward.

[Inserted by PTD: The Buddha Dainichi = The Buddha Mahavairochana; Bodhisattva Fugen = Bodhisattva Universal Worthy; Bodhisattva Monju = Bodhisattva Manjushri]

(to be continued)

bentom187

Veteran
But also understand and respect what this thread is about, Brother Bentom. The thread isn’t about Buddhism in general--or even specifically the teachings of the historical Buddha, Shakyamuni of India. We are all Nichiren Buddhists. And what this thread is about is Nichiren Buddhism, and Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Please don’t post links that are in conflict with that.

And I say that in respect, and with a real understanding that you probably don’t understand why that would be such a big deal, but it is. The facts behind why this is so are the reason this thread is approaching 1000 pages. Most of that is doctrine, not personal commentary.

Thank you!!!

no problem,will do.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

As Disciples of Nichiren Daishonin

No matter what, maintain your faith as a votary of the Lotus Sutra, and forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple.

Beginning with this passage, the Gosho teaches the correct path of faith which the Daishonin's disciples should follow, and describes the practice --- exactly how to go about propagating the faith in the Gohonzon. First, the Daishonin tells us to make a firm resolution --- which is essential to our faith --- to "maintain your faith as a votary of the Lotus Sutra" and "forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple." This is as important a teaching as it is famous. It is not too much to say that this phrase, short as it is, contains the key to attaining Buddhahood as well as the fundamental spirit of the Soka Gakkai.

I can feel the Daishonin's outpouring mercy in the words "no matter what." From the infinite past we have lived and died countless times. We have gone through an endless cycle of life and death wrapped in fundamental ignorance, like persons groping their way through the darkness. Fortunately, in this lifetime we have been able to encounter the Mystic Law and meet the original Buddha from the remotest past. This is the rare opportunity to dispel the darkness that envelops the cycle of life and death and discover the true, eternally unchanging entity of life. It is the one chance in a lifetime to enable ourselves to live a happy and secure life, unfettered and undefiled by anything, strolling in a garden of blossoms in the brilliant sun of the Mystic Law and under the crystal-clear sky of eternal enlightenment. That is why the Daishonin emphasizes that "no matter what" situation we may face, in this lifetime we must always maintain our faith. The phrase "no matter what" is crucially important to all of you, and I want you never to forget it.

"Maintain your faith as a votary of the Lotus Sutra" speaks of the practice of faith according to the Law, and "forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple" speaks of faith in terms of the Person. Specifically, "a votary of the Lotus Sutra" denotes Nichiren Daishonin himself. Actually, the Lotus Sutra was preached exclusively for the Daishonin. He alone read with his entire being everything written in the Lotus Sutra. He is the only person who declared that Shakyamuni's Buddhism had become powerless in the Latter Day of the Law. He is the one who revealed his identity as the original Buddha, emitting a brilliant light and dispelling the darkness throughout the ten thousand years of the Latter Day and on into eternity. And the Gohonzon is the perfect embodiment of the life of the original Buddha. For us to embrace the Gohonzon throughout our life is to "maintain your faith as a votary of the Lotus Sutra." Even understanding this much, we have still only scratched the surface. Our practice must always be underlined by the fundamental awareness that we are "Nichiren's disciples." Without that consciousness, we can never be "votaries of the Lotus Sutra" in the full sense.

Within our daily practice, to be conscious of being "Nichiren's disciples" is to live in the organization where people work together in itai doshin (perfect unity based on the same faith) to realize kosen-rufu. Indeed, the Soka Gakkai is the organization directly connected to the life of the original Buddha, Nichiren Daishonin, and the group of people devoted to the attainment of kosen-rufu. The continually increasing opposition given us by the three powerful enemies and the three obstacles and the four devils (note) is proof that we are practicing exactly according to the Gosho. Therefore, to "forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple" means to share the same destiny as the Soka Gakkai. Even if we embrace the Gohonzon, we won't be able to achieve anything without a fundamental awareness of being "Nichiren's disciples." The Daishonin clarifies this in The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life, one of the most important Gosho, as follows. "Without the lifeblood of faith, it would be useless to embrace the Lotus Sutra." Practice derives from faith, as Nichiu Shonin, the ninth High Priest, says, "For one to practice is itself faith."

(note)[The three obstacles are: 1) bonno-sho: obstacles due to the three poisons --- greed, anger and stupidity; 2) go-sho: obstacles due to karma created by committing the five cardinal sins. Go-sho also means opposition from one's wife and children; 3) ho-sho: obstacles due to painful retribution caused by actions in the three evil paths --- Hell, Hunger and Animality. Ho-sho also refers to obstacles caused by one's superiors (sovereign, parents, etc.). The four devils are: 1) bonno-ma: obstructions arising from the three poisons; 2) on-ma: the obstacle of the five components --- form, perception, conception, volition and consciousness. These five components cause men many kinds of suffering; 3) shi-ma: the obstacle of death. The sufferings of death or the untimely death of other believers lead one to doubt Buddhism; and 4) tenji-ma: obstruction by the Devil of the Sixth Heaven, which occurs in the form of oppression by men of influence and power and is the most difficult of all to conquer.]

To "forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple" is of utmost importance, for that alone is the direct way to attaining Buddhahood. People tend to think that attaining Buddhahood means to become some ideal personality set apart from ordinary people because they envision Buddhas as having the dignified appearance used to describe Shakyamuni. Nichiren Daishonin is a common mortal and at the same time the original Buddha. Herein lies the source of the supremacy of his teaching and the truth of Buddhism. Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism sheds powerful light on human nature as it is manifested in ordinary people, so even we, common mortals, can relate to it. For us, attaining Buddhahood means to dedicate ourselves to the loftiest mission in the world. This itself is manifesting the Buddhahood inherent in our lives. Going one step further, when you have resolved to "forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple" no matter what, you are already living in the state of Buddhahood.

There is a famous passage from the Gosho which states, "Winter never fails to turn into spring." Now we can see that it means that winter is spring. The phrase "never fails" has considerable significance. It is synonymous with "definite" or "certain." It also means 'equal. The same is true of the passage from The Opening of the Eyes: "Even if the gods desert me and all kinds of difficulties befall me," and another in the same Gosho: "Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbor doubt in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood."

In connection with the phrase, "forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple," let me explain why the faith on which the Soka Gakkai rests produces great benefits. Buddhism expounds the principle of four powers. These are the powers of faith, practice, the Buddha and the Law. In the Daishonin's Buddhism, the powers of the Buddha and the Law indicate those of the Gohonzon, since it embodies both the Person and the Law. Only the powers of faith and practice can bring forth the powers of the Buddha and the Law, the limitless powers of the Gohonzon. Our first president, Mr. Makiguchi, devoted himself to propagating the Law at the cost of his life. The second president, Mr. Toda, exerting magnificent powers of faith and practice, also dedicated his life to spreading true Buddhism. The blessings accumulated through their efforts are so great that now the powers of the Gohonzon brilliantly shine upon those who practice the faith of true Buddhism with the Soka Gakkai. Positive proof lies in the growth of the Soka Gakkai; it has developed into an organization global in scale that walks the Middle Way of Buddhism. It is a truly living religion, and for that, we cannot thank our first two presidents too much.

(to be continued)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"What is the poison? It is the three paths of earthly desires, karma, and suffering that are our lot. What is the medicine? It is the Dharma body, wisdom, and emancipation. And what does it mean to change poison into medicine? It means to transform the three paths into the three virtues: the Dharma body, wisdom, and emancipation.... This is what the attainment of Buddhahood in one's present form means."

(What It Means to Hear the Buddha Vehicle for the First Time - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 743) Selection source: "Chie no hikari", Seikyo Shimbun, March 29th, 2011

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo." From 'The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon' (WND-1, 832).

"The Gohonzon exists within us. The supremely noble life-state of Buddhahood shines nowhere but in our own lives as people dedicated to the cause of kosen-rufu. Consequently, no matter what happens, as long as we maintain strong faith, we will be fine. There is nothing to worry about. Nothing is more precious than the individual human beings who uphold and practice the Mystic Law."

SGI Newsletter No. 8191, LIVING THE GOSHO: WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT FROM SGI PRESIDENT IKEDA, (4) The Gohonzon Exists within Us, translated March 28th, 2011, from the March 26th, 2011, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, the Soka Gakkai daily newspaper.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

I'm chanting! I'm Chanting! I'm Chanting!

I'm chanting Daimokuuuuuuu! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is Daimoku!
Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
:dance:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran

In the Same Mind

If you are of the same mind as Nichiren, you must be a Bodhisattva of the Earth. And since you are a Bodhisattva of the Earth, there is not the slightest doubt that you have been a disciple of the Buddha from the remotest past. The Yujutsu chapter states, "I have taught these people since the remotest past." There should be no discrimination among those who propagate the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo in the Latter Day of the Law, be they men or women. Were they not Bodhisattvas of the Earth, they could not chant the daimoku.

How are we to become of the same mind as Nichiren Daishonin? It is possible only when you "maintain your faith as a votary of the Lotus Sutra, and forever exert yourself as Nichiren's disciple," that is, when you practice his teaching with your thoughts, words and deeds. This phrase contains the principle of shitei funi, oneness of master and disciple. Funi is an abbreviation of nini funi, meaning "two and yet not two." Superficially, master and disciple are two; there is clearly a difference in standpoint. But, in the ultimate depths of life, they are one and the same.

The oneness of master and disciple constitutes the essence of the relationship between the two, as it is taught in Buddhism. Therefore, true disciples of Nichiren Daishonin are those who "are of the same mind as Nichiren," that is, those who make his mind their own and stake their life on accomplishing the noble mission he left unfinished. Those who give only lip service or pretend to be carrying out their responsibility will sooner or later be severely reprimanded by the Daishonin.

A passage from Reply to Lord Ueno reads, "Since Nichiren was born, he has not known a day or even a moment of ease. He has concentrated solely on spreading the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra." Those who concentrate on the mission for kosen-rufu and take responsibility for it just as did the Daishonin --- in other words, those who "are of the same mind as Nichiren" --- are undoubtedly Bodhisattvas of the Earth. And if we are definitely Bodhisattvas of the Earth, there is not the slightest doubt that we have been "disciples of the Buddha from the remotest past." Let me explain why. When Shakyamuni preached the Yujutsu chapter of the Lotus Sutra, innumerable Bodhisattvas of the Earth emerged from the ground. Bodhisattva Miroku, on behalf of the astonished assembly, asked the Buddha what and who they were. Thereupon the Buddha answered, "I have taught these people since the remotest past," meaning that Bodhisattvas of the Earth are disciples of the Buddha from the remotest past.

Superficially, "the Buddha" in the above passage indicates Shakyamuni, who expounded the essential teaching or the latter half of the Lotus Sutra. But actually the term denotes the Tathagata --- Nichiren Daishonin, the Buddha in the Latter Day --- who embodies the fundamental law by which all Buddhas attain enlightenment. The passage therefore means that Nichiren Daishonin has taught us, Bodhisattvas of the Earth, ever since the remotest past.

We can interpret this to mean that those who are directly connected to the life of Nichiren Daishonin are Bodhisattvas of the Earth and, as such, his true disciples. It was the first president, Mr. Makiguchi, and our mentor, President Toda, who put that into practice in contemporary society. It was especially true for President Toda who, while in prison, attained the realization that he himself was a Bodhisattva of the Earth and a legitimate disciple of the original Buddha, Nichiren Daishonin. From that moment on the Soka Gakkai was destined to become an organization of Bodhisattvas of the Earth, a group of true disciples of Nichiren Daishonin. The Soka Gakkai has advanced and will continue to advance together with Mr. Toda, a leader of unparalleled humanity, as we make his spirit our own. How highly the original Buddha will extol those who belong to this great, vibrant organization! There is nothing that should worry you or cause you fear.

In the life philosophy, "the Buddha from the remotest past" signifies "the Buddha" inherent within our own lives- namely, the Tathagata of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. That the Bodhisattvas of the Earth are disciples of the Buddha from the remotest past indicates that our life, based on the Buddhahood of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo existing deep within us, manifests the functions of the Four Bodhisattvas-Jogyo, Muhengyo, Jyogyo and Anryugyo. I am convinced that if we hold ourselves completely responsible for the great mission of kosen-rufu, rack our minds and drive our bodies to accomplish this mission, the life of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo will always give us the power to go on, to live our faith. The Daishonin states in the Totaigi Sho (The Entity of the Mystic Law), "In the final analysis, the entity of the Mystic Law of the Lotus is composed of the bodies, born of father and mother, of the disciples and followers of Nichiren who believe in the Lotus Sutra.... The Buddha of the Lotus, the entity of the Juryo chapter of the essential teaching, is the disciples and followers of Nichiren." He also explains to embrace the Gohonzon is to attain Buddhahood. Therefore, when we continue our mission exactly as the Daishonin directs, his life will surge forth from within us like a spring. I have always maintained this conviction --- even when I had no one to depend on and had to make decisions all by myself I am also firmly convinced that everything the Daishonin taught is perfectly true, as he stated it.

Now let us go on to the next line, "There should be no discrimination among those who propagate the five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo in the Latter Day of the Law, be they men or women." Those who spread Myoho-renge-kyo, or Nam-myoho-renge-kyo of the Three Great Secret Laws, in this age in the Latter Day are Bodhisattvas of the Earth. Those who spontaneously assume the responsibility of devoting themselves to propagating true Buddhism are all equal as they walk the greatest path of life, no matter what their lot or status. Those who "propagate" Buddhism are the most respect worthy of all, as the Fugen chapter of the Lotus Sutra states, "Most certainly you should arise and greet him from afar, and respect him in the same way as you do the Buddha." It is therefore one of the gravest sins to look down upon, censure or slander the Soka Gakkai, the religious organization devoted to spreading true Buddhism.

"There should be no discrimination . . . be they men or women." Men and women are completely equal in that they are Bodhisattvas of the Earth. The social differences between male and female arise because of the different roles they play. Certainly there are occupations that are more suitable for men than for women, and vice versa, although it is not impossible to take on an occupation traditionally held by the other sex. Discrimination on the basis of sex cannot be justified, and salaries should be fixed according to the occupation and not the sex. However, there are inevitable differences between individuals. The real problem arises when such differences stem not from the type of work but simply on the basis of sex, which violates the human equality of both sexes. The attitudes fostered by religion are often influential in social attitudes toward the respective status of each sex.

Many religions, past and present, assume some kind of male dominance. For example, the Christian and Islamic gods are usually envisioned as male. In Buddhism only men were thought to be able to reach salvation by sects whose doctrines derived from the pre-Lotus Sutra teachings. In contrast, Nichiren Daishonin declares that those who propagate the Mystic Law are Bodhisattvas of the Earth, be they men or women. Denying that any difference existed between men and women as far as their religious mission and capability were concerned, Nichiren Daishonin advocated genuine equality between the sexes. I want all of you to know that Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism endorses the dignity of all human beings with this great democratic principle.

"Were they not Bodhisattvas of the Earth, they could not chant the daimoku." Only Bodhisattvas of the Earth can chant daimoku. In the eternity of life, to be able to live as a human being is a rare and precious thing when we consider all the other innumerable forms of life. Buddhism defines human as the "correct vessel for the true teaching." Because we are human, we can follow the correct path to the higher states of life, and eventually enlightenment. The correct path is the religious faith which makes people truly human. But when we have no such source of humanity, we lack vitality, become rigid in our ideas and behavior, and become a weak and lifeless fossil. Truly religion is important, but it is very difficult to find a religion with the power to let us attain happiness. How fortunate we are to have faith in the true religion, and proud that we chant the daimoku!

"Were they not Bodhisattvas of the Earth, they could not chant the daimoku," states the importance of continuous, wholehearted chanting, no matter what may happen. Only Nam-myoho-renge-kyo can save us from all trouble. The original mission of bodhisattvas is to fulfill their vows. The Bodhisattvas of the Earth vowed to propagate the Lotus Sutra to the world. Therefore, we Bodhisattvas of the Earth should pray and chant daimoku mindful of our oath to work for kosen-rufu. Without this thought, we cannot chant daimoku as Bodhisattvas of the Earth.

(to be continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.