What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is like the roar of a lion. What sickness can therefore be an obstacle?"

(Reply to Kyo'o - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 412) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, May 1st, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No matter how strong the winds of adversity may blow, or how bad the situation might get, never retreat even a single step. Boldly challenge the situation, tell yourself: "Now is the time to turn it around". Stand up once again and, firmly based on faith, create a glorious, unprecedented history!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"This I will state. Let the gods forsake me. Let all persecutions assail me. Still I will give my life for the sake of the Law."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 280) Selection source: Study: "Bonds of Mentor and Disciple", page 4, Seikyo Shimbun, April 13th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Challenging yourself to contribute to kosen-rufu even in some small way although you're extremely busy--that spirit is truly noble. The benefit you gain when you make an earnest effort to participate in SGI activities, even if it's only for a short time, is immense. Remember, the more challenging your circumstances, the greater the opportunity you have to grow and develop. As Nichiren Daishonin assures us: 'A hundred years of practice in the Land of Perfect Bliss cannot compare to the benefit gained from one day's practice in the impure world' (WND-1, 736).

"What matters is that your heart is directed toward kosen-rufu. The key is to have the attitude: 'Even though I can't attend the meeting today, I'll do my utmost at work, regarding everything as part of my Buddhist practice'; or 'I'm going to knuckle down today so that I can finish up all my work and have time on the weekend for activities'. or 'No matter how busy or tired I am, I'll chant some daimoku to support everyone's efforts, even if only a minute or two.' If you have this outlook, you have already won. Such strong inner resolve will activate the protective forces of the universe and allow you to move in a positive direction without fail.

"Everyone has their own unique situations and circumstances."

SGI Newsletter No. 7978, YOUTH AND THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN, Work and Faith--Part 2 [of 2], from the Feb. 18th, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 12th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"And could not this illness of your husband's be the Buddha's design, because the Vimalakirti and Nirvana sutras both teach that sick people will surely attain Buddhahood? Illness gives rise to the resolve to attain the way."

(The Good Medicine for All Ills - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 937) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 7th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"As the great Russian author Leo Tolstoy wrote: 'Life is a process of challenging your limitations and expanding your capacities.' It could be said that limitations are really nothing more than illusions created by one's own mind."

SGI Newsletter No. 7974, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 2, Light of Learning 37, translated April 6th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Nichiren is like the plant, and my teacher, the earth."

(Flowering and Bearing Grain - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 909) Selection source: Living Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, April 11th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The greater the effort involved, the more power a personal experience has to impart hope to others. One's own trials and tribulations end up being a light of hope for others."

SGI Newsletter No. 7977, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 23: Chap. 2, Light of Learning 41, translated April 9th, 2010

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gosho: "The Supremacy of the Law"-Part 1 of 3, WND, vol. 1. pp. 612-13.

Theme: Sharing a Common Desire for People's Happiness. -LB pg. 46.

Buddhism is a teaching that enriches our lives and helps us develop outstanding character and humanity. Employing the profound wisdom of Buddhism that is the starting point of human revolution, we can greatly contribute to our own happiness as well as the happiness of others, which is the original purpose of all religions. Any religious tradition that forgets to put people first invariably grows self-righteous and dogmatic.

Ideally, the adherents of the various world religions would strive in a spirit of friendly competition to lead others to happiness. As Soka Gakkai members, we need to ponder how best to convey to people everywhere the true value of Nichiren Daishonin's humanistic Buddhism, which is based on the Lotus Sutra's lofty ideal of universal enlightenment. Today as global pioneers of an age of humanistic competition, we are working hard to develop ourselves and also foster others. We are noble trailblazers spreading a religion for all humankind in the 21st century. Let's advance confidently with this pride. -President Ikeda LB pg. 48.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^As Trichy made sure we are all aware of it....^^^^

Happy Birthday Chris! Don't forget to post birthday wishes at Trichy's link everyone!

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

Wilson!

Here's my new butzudan. I am amazed. My dear friend Dan made this unique butzudan and has gifted me this incredible work of striking craftmanship & beauty. He taught me gongyo in Hollywood, Ca. 34 years ago. He lives in a tent. He is a true wild man. A brother time traveler Bodhisattva. He helped build the floating island stage for the '75 Hawaii convention. There are so many who have given their sweat and treasure to our movement.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=17970&pictureid=368652

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Oh boy Wilson, that is a STUNNING piece of work. Kudos to you and your friend!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Gosho: "The Supremacy of the Law"-Part 1 of 3, WND, vol. 1. pp. 612-13.

Theme: Sharing a Common Desire for People's Happiness. -LB pg. 46.

Buddhism is a teaching that enriches our lives and helps us develop outstanding character and humanity. Employing the profound wisdom of Buddhism that is the starting point of human revolution, we can greatly contribute to our own happiness as well as the happiness of others, which is the original purpose of all religions. Any religious tradition that forgets to put people first invariably grows self-righteous and dogmatic.

Ideally, the adherents of the various world religions would strive in a spirit of friendly competition to lead others to happiness. As Soka Gakkai members, we need to ponder how best to convey to people everywhere the true value of Nichiren Daishonin's humanistic Buddhism, which is based on the Lotus Sutra's lofty ideal of universal enlightenment. Today as global pioneers of an age of humanistic competition, we are working hard to develop ourselves and also foster others. We are noble trailblazers spreading a religion for all humankind in the 21st century. Let's advance confidently with this pride. -President Ikeda LB pg. 48.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The Lotus Sutra is like the lion king, who rules over all other animals."* Having great confidence and conviction in our hearts, let's chant and go all out to share our philosophy with others. Let's make every effort to build heart-to-heart bonds with others. There is nothing more powerful than our faith.

Daisaku Ikeda

* Gosho: The Drum at the Gate of Thunder. WND-1, pg 949

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"At such a time, the three obstacles and four devils will invariably appear, and the wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat."

(The Three Obstacles and Four Devils - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 637) Selection source: "Myoji no gen", Seikyo Shimbun, May 4th, 2010.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"If we can look beyond the diverse distractions of daily life--the noisy surface of an information society that appeals only to people’s nerve endings--we will discover an innate capacity to appreciate genuine reality, to hear the heartbeat of that which is truly worth living for."

SGI Newsletter No. 7986, SGI President Ikeda’s Peace proposal, Towards a New Era of Value Creation, translated April 28th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wilson! That is a beautiful Butsudan! The fortune to receive it is a reflection of the faith of the receiver. How wonderful for you to have such a good friend! How wonderful for your friend that he has someone who has touched his life in such a way as to want to express his appreciation with such a sincere gesture. You are both very lucky men!

I bow in humble obeisance,

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts