Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2010 IC Mag 420 Cup-BREEDER OF THE YEAR
2010 IC Mag 420 Cup-Breeder Indica Cup 3rd Place - Killer Queen Redux
2010 IC Mag 420 Cup-Hash Cup 3rd Place - Cinderella99 by DGS for GN09 Collection

Well done DG!!!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

Much love and deepest respect from all of your fellow Chanting Growers!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Let's be sure to praise, from the very bottom of our hearts, all the dedicated efforts and selfless contributions our fellow members make, and give them all a really big round of applause. By encouraging each other we advance together and we are victorious together.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Where there is unseen virtue, there will be visible reward."

(Unseen Virtue and Visible Reward - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 907) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's speech, Seikyo Shimbun, April 23rd, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Though these are troubled times, please don't allow yourselves to be defeated. Be strong and wise and develop your abilities. "The Ikegami brothers, two of the Daishonin's followers, were from a family that was engaged in construction and engineering projects for the Kamakura military government. Due to slander by their colleagues, however, they were not contracted to participate in the reconstruction of the Tsurugaoka Hachiman Shrine. In other words, they had lost a job they had been counting on.

"The Daishonin wrote a letter to encourage the deeply disappointed brothers at that time, saying that this setback was surely 'the design of the heavens' (WND-2, 950). In short, it definitely had some profound meaning or significance for them. He also advised: 'Avoid any appearance of ill will or resentment [because of not obtaining the construction job].... Be sure to carry your saw and hammer in your hands or hook them at your waist, and always wear a smile' (WND-2, 950).

"Don't despair when things don't go as you had hoped. Don't become depressed and sorry for yourself. Be patient and persevere, putting down solid roots and creating the cause for more fortunate circumstances to present themselves in the future. Faith is about putting down roots of happiness in the soil of our present reality. Eventually sprouts will appear and flowers will begin to bloom in beautiful profusion signalling the arrival of a spring of victory and success.

SGI Newsletter No. 7978, YOUTH AND THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN, Work and Faith--Part 2 [of 2], from the February 18th, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 12th, 2010

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great work Forest :) Amazing my friend !!!
Way to go DutchGrown !!!!! wooooooooop !!!!!
Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oneness of Self and Environment

Oneness of Self and Environment

The Buddhist principle of the oneness of self and environment (esho funi) means that life (sho) and its environment (e) are inseparable (funi). Funi means "two but not two." This means that although we perceive things around us as separate from us, there is a dimension of our lives that is one with the universe. At the most fundamental level of life itself, there is no separation between ourselves and the environment.

Buddhism teaches that life manifests itself in both a living subject and an objective environment. Nichiren wrote, "Life at each moment encompasses...both self and environment of all sentient beings in every condition of life as well as insentient beings--plants, sky and earth, on down to the most minute particles of dust."

"Life" means the subjective self that experiences the effects of past actions and is capable of creating new causes for the future. The environment is the objective realm where the karmic effects of life take shape. Each living being has his or her own unique environment. For example, a person whose inner life is in a state of hell may perceive the environment of the inside of a crowded subway train as being hellish, while a person in the state known in Buddhism as bodhisattva (see January 1998 issue) might manage to feel compassion and a sense of camaraderie with the other people pressed around them.

People also create physical environments which reflect their inner reality. For instance, someone who is depressed is likely to neglect his home and personal appearance. On the other hand, someone who is secure and generous creates a warm and attractive environment around them.

According to Buddhism, everything around us, including work and family relationships, is the reflection of our inner lives. Everything is perceived through the self and alters according to the individual's inner state of life. Thus, if we change ourselves, our circumstances will inevitably change also.

This is a liberating concept as it means that there is no need to seek enlightenment outside ourselves or in a particular place. Wherever we are, in whatever circumstances, we can bring forth our innate Buddhahood, thus transforming our experience of our environment into "the Buddha's land"--the joy-filled place where we can create value for ourselves and for others.

As Nichiren wrote, "If the minds of the people are impure, their land is also impure, but if their minds are pure, so is their land. There are not two lands, pure and impure in themselves. The difference lies solely in the good or evil of our minds." ("Evil" means self-centered and shortsighted actions based on greed, arrogance, fear and aggression.)

This is simply illustrated by the state of the natural environment in different societies. In some rural environments, indigenous peoples show deep respect for their natural surroundings, not taking more than they need, and the riches of nature have been preserved, providing protection and sustenance in return. However, in developed areas where materialistic greed predominates, the environment has frequently been devoured and stripped, with catastrophic effects.

The single most positive action we can make for society and the land is to transform our own lives, so that they are no longer dominated by anger, greed and fear. When we manifest wisdom, generosity and integrity, we naturally make more valuable choices, and we will find that our surroundings are nurturing and supportive. Often, we cannot foresee the long-term results of our actions, and it is hard to believe that one individual's choices can really affect the state of the world, but Buddhism teaches that through the oneness of self and environment, everything is interconnected.

And the more we believe that our actions do make a difference, the greater the difference we find we can make.

[Courtesy April 1998 SGI Quarterly]

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The human mind is inconstant; it is ever changing and unfixed. I thought it
wondrous that you pledged faith in my teachings while I was in the province of
Sado, and your sincerity in sending your husband all the way here is even more
remarkable. The provinces we live in are far apart, and months and years have
passed, so I was concerned that you might slacken in your resolve. However, you
are increasingly demonstrating the depth of your faith and accumulating good
deeds. Surely this is not a result of practice over just one or two precious
lifetimes.

(WND, 491)
Reply to the Lay Priest of Ko
Written to the lay priest of Ko on April 12, 1275

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
From the time that I was born until today, I have never known a moment's ease; I
have thought only of propagating the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra. I do not know
how long I or anyone else may live, but without fail, I will be with you at the
time of your death and guide you from this life to the next.

(WND, 965)
Persecution by Sword and Staff
Written to Nanjo Tokimitsu on April 20, 1279

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Buddhism is reason. It doesn't exist apart from society, apart from reality.
That is why it is important for each of us to cultivate good judgement and
common sense. We must respect and harmonize with society's ways. Respecting the
life of each individual, we work among the people. This is the SGI's fundamental
creed.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Amber draws dust, and a magnet attracts iron particles; here our evil karma is
like the dust or iron, and the daimoku of the Lotus Sutra is like the amber or
the magnet. If we consider these [analogies, we can see why] we should always
chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

(WND, 142)
The Daimoku of the Lotus Sutra
Recipient unknown; written on January 6, 1266

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I hope you will always have the spirit to learn with a lively curiosity and
interest. When leaders are enthusiastic to keep on learning and growing, they
inspire others. New ideas emerge and spread. Fresh energy to advance surges
forth. Instead of pretending to know all the answers, assuming an air of wisdom,
let us always strive for greater understanding and insight into all manner of
things, so that we can continue learning together and spur one another to grow.
This is the kind of spirit I want to cherish.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
In the Latter Day of the Law, no treasure tower exists other than the figures of
the men and women who embrace the Lotus Sutra. It follows, therefore, that
whether eminent or humble, high or low, those who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo are
themselves the treasure tower, and likewise, are themselves the Thus Come One
Many Treasures.

(WND, 299)
On the Treasure Tower
Written to Abutsu-bo Nittoku on March 13, 1272

E

EasyMyohoDisco

MUGI WASSHIN! Doubt-free faith

MUGI WASSHIN! Doubt-free faith

Hello Brother Socal,

I was just looking at the characters of the Gohonzon last weekend my brother. The main reason behind this was to see where the Devil of the 6th Heaven was situated, as well as where Nichikan's signature appeared in relation to Nichiren Daishonin's. I believe that my life is fused with Nichiren Daishonin's essential spirit and I definitely just go and meet Nichiren on Eagle Peak in my mind, heart and soul whenever I chant in front of my Gohonzon. I also chant on the train on the way to work, but that is no-where near as good as chanting at home with my direct connection to Gohonzon. (= the "2 but not 2" axiom).

I was telling some members today about my last four years of practice and how I'm going to complete my first seven years of practice by the end of the current decade of my existence. I'm expecting quite a bit of accomplishment for my seventh year of practice for the members, the circles of life I'm involved in, our organization, myself. Sometimes the greater thought in my heart and life is when I see my friends that I've introduced to this practice have also introduced others to Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism, which have introduced others through their practice and so forth. This has been going on since the year I began my practice and continues to this day. The same holds true for friends like Babbabud and PasstheDoobs that are also involved in this direct lineage to the Gohonzon.

Nichiren says "At such a time, the three obstacles and four devils will invariably appear, and the wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat."(P.637 The Three Obstacles and Four Devils) regarding the appearance of the three obstacles and four devils for those who truly uphold The Lotus Sutra (our recitation of The Daimoku). Look again at the experience your daughter prepared which has globally impacted kosen-rufu, your own living legacy continues to spread kosen-rufu just as the Daishonin predicted. I continue to treasure your dedication towards our joint effort for kosen-rufu and appreciate all the proof you share.

Thank you brother Socal!

Deep Respect,
MyohoDisco

P.S.- Job well done DG! Let's keep winning and chanting together! Welcome back Swamp! Congrats Forest, I need you to share with others your experience, keep up the good work and keeping doing what do you do so well: NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO!

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
I was telling some members today about my last four years of practice and how I'm going to complete my first seven years of practice by the end of the current decade of my existence. I'm expecting quite a bit of accomplishment for my seventh year of practice for the members, the circles of life I'm involved in, our organization, myself.

EasyM, you always blow me away with your wisdom at this stage of your practice. You have some mission. I congratulate you.

At 4 years of practice for me I was a YMD Chapter Leader and a acting MD District leader in the SGI. Doing shakubuku activities practically 7 days a week. My wisdom at that point in my practice never can compare from where you are at right now. I am amazed and always look forward to your posts.

Mugi Wasshin! Let's do it.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My wisdom at that point in my practice never can compare from where you are at right now. I am amazed and always look forward to your posts.

Mugi Wasshin! Let's do it.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Yes, my Brother. But would you have had more wisdom if you would have had access to the kind of encouragement you share here with everyone else? That was then, this is now. There is no separation, only continuity. This is Easy's good fortune. At the same time it is your good fortune as well. There is no separation.

And THAT, is the most amazing thing that Easy understands! This understanding has come from the depth of his life. I was witness to this wisdom unfolding. Easy is my Brother, and closer to me than he can ever know. My pride in his achievement is without limitation.

And you too SoCal! As you said! "Mugi Wasshin! Let's do it!"

Together!:thank you:

Much love and deepest respect,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To offer an analogy, if in spring and summer one ploughs the field and plants it with seed, then in autumn and winter one may reap and store away the harvest, and all will proceed as one wishes it to. It may seem like a long wait from spring to autumn, and yet within the space of a single year one's wishes will be fulfilled. And in like manner, it may seem a long time to wait in order to enter the state of enlightenment and manifest our Buddhahood. And yet such a manifestation may be accomplished within the space of a single lifetime, and we ourselves can become Buddhas who possess the three bodies within a single body."

(On the Ten Factors - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 79) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, April 24th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In one of his writings, the Daishonin wrote to Shijo Kingo, who was facing various obstacles: 'Live so that all the people of Kamakura will say in your praise that Nakatsukasa Saburo Saemon-no-jo [Shijo Kingo] is diligent in the service of his lord, in the service of Buddhism, and in his concern for other people' (WND-1, 851).

"It is the quintessential power of faith that enables one to become a great victor in life on whom others can rely and depend--be it in the sphere of work, Buddhism, or society. Becoming such a victor is also brilliant proof of one's human revolution."

SGI Newsletter No. 7978, YOUTH AND THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN, Work and Faith--Part 2 [of 2], from the February 18th, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 12th, 2010

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"As Nichiren Daishonin writes: 'The Law does not spread by itself: because people propagate it, both people and the Law are respectworthy' (GZ, 856).

"It all comes down to our awareness of our mission and responsibility as leaders. It comes down to whether we are able to really exert ourselves bravely and vigorously in our efforts for kosen-rufu, taking pride and joy in them and seeing them as a source of good fortune and benefit. This is a point I'd like to emphasise.

"A life dedicated to kosen-rufu, aspiring for the happiness of all humanity, is the most wonderful life possible. As leaders of kosen-rufu, we may go through many hardships, but the joy and growth we experience will be all the greater as a result. We will savour a state of life hundreds and thousands of times more sublime than any millionaire or monarch.

"All of you, my friends are noble champions of this spirit."

SGI Newsletter No. 7976, DIVISIONAL REPRESENTATIVES CONFERENCE--PART 1 [OF 2], Create History with a Stand-alone Spirit, from the January 23, 2010, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated April 9th, 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.