What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Buddhism means putting the teachings into practice. Practice equals faith. With
sincere prayer and action, our desires cannot possibly fail to be fulfilled.
When you continue to apply yourselves to your Buddhist practice toward
kosen-rufu, solidifying and gaining mastery in your faith, you will find that
all your prayers will definitely be answered.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Strength is happiness. Strength is itself victory. In
weakness and cowardice there is no happiness. When you wage a
struggle, you might win or you might lose. But regardless of
the short-term outcome, the very fact of your continuing to
struggle is proof of your victory as a human being."

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
All these things I have done solely to repay the debt I owe to my parents, the
debt I owe to my teacher, the debt I owe to the three treasures of Buddhism, and
the debt I owe to my country. For their sake I have been willing to destroy my
body and to give up my life, though as it turns out, I have not been put to
death after all.

(WND, 728)
On Repaying Debts of Gratitude
Written to Joken-bo and Gijo-bo on July 21, 1276

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Nichiren Daishonin writes, "If you light a lantern for another, it will also
brighten your own way" (Gosho Zenshu, p. 1598) please be confident that the
higher your flame of altruistic action burns, the more its light will suffuse
your life with happiness. Those who possess an altruistic spirit are the
happiest people of all.

Daisaku Ikeda

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Tad-ya-ta Om Be-kan-dze Be-kan-dze Ma-ha Be-kan-dze Ra-dza Sa-mung-ga-te So-ha!
the_medicine_buddha_with_white_tara_green_tara_to50.jpg

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
(It's always the new guys with less than fifty posts!) Hey puff, pretty picture but not appropriate for this thread, though I am sure you meant no offense. Since you've now been told, to do it again would be very offensive. Please don't!

This thread is about Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, as you'll be able to tell when you take the time to read it.

Thanks!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is the heart that is important."

(The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1000) Selection source: Soka Gakkai member's experience, Seikyo Shimbun, November 30th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Gandhi wrote: 'Manliness consists in struggling. It is such struggling that moulds us. Hence be fearless and fight on. Never lose heart, and, if [you are thrown] down though you may have fought with all your strength, do not get dejected in the least. Be on your feet again and resume the fight.”

SGI Newsletter No. 7887, 34th SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING--PART 1 [OF 2], Lead Vigorous, Vibrant, Victorious Lives!, from the Nov. 24th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Nov. 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To accept is easy; to continue is difficult. But Buddhahood lies in continuing faith."

(The Difficulty of Sustaining Faith - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 471) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 1st, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Gandhi further stated: 'If we would but learn the lessons that have to be learnt from our adversity, it will not have been lost upon us. We would emerge from the trial a community richer in social virtues, stronger in the justice of our cause.' If we're always just having a good time, laughing and enjoying ourselves, never experiencing any suffering or hardship, we will not be able to gain anything truly profound or meaningful. It is adversity and challenge that develop character."

SGI Newsletter No. 7887, 34th SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING--PART 1 [OF 2], Lead Vigorous, Vibrant, Victorious Lives!, from the Nov. 24th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Nov. 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buddhism elucidates the principle of "cherry, plum, peach and damson."* A cherry blossom is a cherry blossom and a plum blossom is a plum blossom. There is absolutely no reason or need for us to compare ourselves with others. Chanting daimoku overflowing with confidence in ourselves, let us all blossom fragrantly in our own unique and special ways!

Daisaku Ikeda

* Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 784, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 200, "When one comes to realise and see that each thing--the cherry, the plum, the peach, the damson--in its own entity, without undergoing any change, possesses the eternally endowed three bodies, then this is what is meant by the word ryo, 'to include' or all inclusive."

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
PTD - Today's posts of yours REALLY spoke to me. Thank you very much for those words.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[To those outside looking in, for the record, PassTheDoobie IS NOT an SGI leader, nor have I been since starting this thread. As a matter of fact, I wasn't practicing with the SGI when I started this thread. A few years ago, I began practicing with the SGI again, but have no formal position, nor do I plan to. I lead by life condition, and not position within the organization.

When asked, I declined, with full knowledge that my relationship with this thread and a position of responsibility within the SGI organization were not compatible. I am currently supporting an all out remonstration with my local SGI organization as a general member. To characterize me as being a ‘Gakkai Joe’ is so fucking ludicrous that it makes me laugh my ass off!

What’s wrong with all you haters! You’re all such fucking idiots! Mark, I’m sure you must be Nichijew. If not, at least he admits to being a mental case. Anyone who will not accept the responsibility for their experiences—whatever they are—and blame others as though they are victims, doesn’t walk the walk, even if they are very good at talking the talk. Karma is karma and Buddhism teaches that you are responsible for ALL of your experiences.

I think anybody with a brain would find the things that I post that are attributed to Daisaku Ikeda as being generally uplifting and inspirational. A lot of people are struggling in this world and some of them might read these things and be given hope. Does that make me a disciple of Daisaku Ikeda? Does that make me worthy of hate?

You guys are kind of odd, frankly.]

Understanding More and More the Bullshit Daisaku Ikeda Goes Through Every Day,

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
[PS: Also, for the record, I receive more benefit and probably live the most wonderful life of anyone that I personally know. I have actual proof coming out of my ass. All I can say is that what I do sure works for me—and has been for a very longtime.]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Therefore, when you chant myoho and recite renge, you must summon up deep faith that Myoho-renge-kyo is your life itself."

(On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 3) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, December 3rd, 2009

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The present time corresponds to the first five hundred years of the Latter Day
of the Law. Passages of the sutra clearly state that at this time Bodhisattva
Superior Practices will appear and bestow the five characters of
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo on all the people of Japan. And they reveal that he will
face exile and execution. I am also like the envoy of bodhisattva Superior
Practices because I spread this teaching.

(WND, 1011)
"This Person Advances through the World"
Written to Ikegami Uemon no Tayu Munenaka on December 3, 1279

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Faith is the secret to happiness for all people. When you truly forge your mind
of faith, you will become an eternal victor throughout the three existences of
past, present and future. Strong faith enables you to display your wisdom
appropriately, so that you can take advantage of change and move forward in the
direction of victory and hope.

Daisaku Ikeda

Status