What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
EasyM, nous sommes frères de l'éternel passé destinés à se battre pour kosenrufu avec notre maître Nicherin Daishonin.

Tenez-vous la foi Mugi Washinn!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Peace is the universal wish of humankind. Where is the key to peace, however, to be found? The American peace scholar Dr. Elise Boulding once said to me: 'Peace is not only about taking action in times of danger, it is also about assisting each other in daily life. The family and the local community are key starting points.' Peace, in other words, is not some distant dream, but a reality that starts where we are right now. Dr. Boulding said she always made a point of getting to know her neighbours, because when people know each other, they are more likely to help and assist each other. This is where peace begins.

"Many might find it bothersome to get to know their neighbours, or the thought of doing so just never even occurs to them. How admirable, therefore, is our behaviour as human beings in that we care about our neighbours and strive to make our community an oasis of friendship and trust.'

SGI Newsletter No. 7880, THE LIGHT OF THE CENTURY OF HUMANITY, Fostering Friendship in the Community—Part 1 [of 2], from the Sep. 20th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Oct 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I entrust you with the propagation of Buddhism in your province."

(The Properties of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol. 1, page 1117) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, October 29th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Chanting for our friends and fellow members to become happy and for them to be able to change their karma is a source of great good fortune in our own lives, too. Let's lead a life full of deep appreciation and gratitude (for the wonderful opportunities we have as a result of our practise.)

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"From this single element of mind spring all the various lands and environmental conditions."

("The Unanimous Declaration by the Buddhas of the Three Existences regarding the Classification of the Teachings and Which Are to Be Abandoned and Which Upheld" - WND, Vol.2, page 843) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, October 8th, 2009

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im so sorry this thread has been moved even after Gypsy said it could stay.
Nam myoho renge kyo

Last edited:

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo - here we are and here we stay.

Evil forces abound. Let's chant harder to offset their misery and spitefullness.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo - things change over time, and some people's attitudes become inappropriate after wielding power for too long.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo - we need to post something every day to keep this at the top of the list in the GROWER's FORUM.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Payaso

Veteran
"Chanting Namu-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is more than just trying to force a change in the way you think. It is a method of developing your inner spirit. It is at once a form of meditation as well as a determination and a cause (in terms of cause and effect, or karma) to alleviate your suffering, increase your happiness, and impact the lives of others in an extremely profound way."
~from the Nichiren Buddhist Association of America

Payaso

Veteran
Pointing to another world will never stop vice among us; shedding light over this world can alone help us. -- Walt Whitman
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Payaso

Veteran
If you chant Myoho-renge-kyo with deep faith in this principle, you are certain to attain Buddhahood in this lifetime. That is why the sutra states, "After I have passed into extinction, [one] should accept and uphold this sutra. Such a person assuredly and without doubt will attain the Buddha way."5 Never doubt in the slightest.
5. Lotus Sutra, chap. 21.
This writing by Nichiren was taken from:
Nichiren. The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin. Trans. The Gosho Translation Committee. Tokyo, Japan: Soka Gakkai, 1999.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo - here we are and here we stay.

Evil forces abound. Let's chant harder to offset their misery and spitefullness.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo - things change over time, and some people's attitudes become inappropriate after wielding power for too long.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo - we need to post something every day to keep this at the top of the list in the GROWER's FORUM.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

We've pretty much been doing that, and did so for years before you so graciously stickied us upon your return. No problem. Obstacles are validation and to be expected. At times like this, I just remember the inscription on the Gohonzon that says, "Nyaku noran sha zu ha shichibun." or "Those who vex and trouble [the practitioners of the Law] will have their heads split into seven pieces."

Karma and cause and effect are absolute, so just let it go.

Thank you ICMag for having us!!! :wave:

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! for my seedlings and plants is the best growing technique in the world at this moment.

:witch2::pumpkin::witch:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The mission of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth is to bring people together and shine as treasures of the local community and society at large."

SGI Newsletter No. 7880, THE LIGHT OF THE CENTURY OF HUMANITY, Fostering Friendship in the Community—Part 1 [of 2], from the Sep. 20th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Oct 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The verse section of the chapter states, '... single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha, not hesitating even if it costs them their lives.' As a result of this passage, I have revealed the Buddhahood in my own life."

(Letter to Gijo-bo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 389) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, October 30th, 2009

supervaca

Apologies

Apologies

First of all, I was noticed by a friend about the discussion going on this thread about some of my old posts. I haven't read the whole thread, but I woud like to clarify some points that, maybe becouse of my bad english, were misunderstood:

1) I am NOBODY to critizice what any other living being do;I am not a judge but a humble servant of any living being (including pot-soking chanters, group in wich I AM , even if I now this is not the best thing for my spiritual development, let's be sincere).
2) It was NOT MY INTENTION AT ALL to say that pot-smoking chanters are bad or anything like that !!! Every soul has its path; some are born in pristine high consciousness becouse of the mercy of their pious acts in their past lifes; some as myself still have to work much harder; so were born in tougher circumstances, or have a different "learning school", as we have to try all by ourselves; even if that hurt us ... Is a more painful school, for sure slower; but oneof the most respectful of them; as it fronts life fully .
So we have to smoke, travel, try, suffer.... and then back again....
All of us ar lost soul, working thi best... who am I to citicize your path, being mine filled with more rocks than yours?

But we have to admit one thing: when you fulfill long years of sincere searching, and leave all material world to just serve all othes souls thru praying for them; waking up every day in the night to just open your soul to The Vibration.. fasting, etc... you realize smoking ganja is , at this point, not necessary anymore believe me, please... as it is just a pale curtain over reality; a nice curtain indeed; maybe a necessary curtain for me in a moment of my life, as it OPENED SOME DOORS on my soul that were tightly closed: the door of pity, service to other fallen souls; the door you send your ego away (or at least you sincerely try), the door of a new FULL perception f your position as an eternal servant of a servant...
There, you remember ganja and is like when you remember once , you stole a candy in a shop; and you're mother got you .....

Please, acceptmy most humble excuses if I was misunderstood or I offended anyone; I was talking from MY personal vision and experience on this matter; not saying is better/worse/whatever...not judging ... who am I to judge?? Let's not have so many prejudices and listen to the real words on everyone, please...
Om shanti

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Hey Vaca,

No offense but, this thread is about chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!, it is not about Hinduism, Hinayana Buddhism and most Mahayana Buddhist Schools other than our niche Nichiren Buddhist school of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! to the Gohonzon. This is not the venue to repudiate your guilty feelings about being a marijuana smoker and trying to levy those thoughts upon our group. Take it easy and take a step back if you wish to continue this unfulfilling and fruitless dialogue.

In my opinion there is only one way to embrace your Buddhahood in this lifetime and that is to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! which reminds me I should be chanting right now!

Sincerely,
MyohoDisco

E

EasyMyohoDisco

How do you practice Nichiren Buddhism?

How do you practice Nichiren Buddhism?

There are three basics in applying Buddhism: faith, practice and study. They are the primary ingredients in the recipe for developing our innate enlightened condition, or Buddhahood. All three are essential. With this recipe, we will experience actual proof of our transformation in the forms of both conspicuous and inconspicuous benefit. The recipe is universal. These basics are the same in every country where this Buddhism is practiced.

Faith
-- in Buddhism, faith is based on experience. Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism emphasizes obtaining "actual proof" of the teaching’s power. Faith begins as an expectation or hope that something will happen. At the start of our journey, if we are willing to try the practice and anticipate some result, we will then develop our faith brick by brick as examples of actual proof accrue.

Practice -- To develop faith, we must take action. We strengthen our wisdom and vital life force by actualizing our Buddhahood each day in a very concrete way. Practice in Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism consists of two parts: practice for ourselves and practice for others. Practice for ourselves is primarily the chanting of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Each morning and evening, believers participate in a ritual that, along with chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, includes recitation from two significant chapters of the Lotus Sutra chapters which explain that each individual holds the potential for enlightenment and that life itself is eternal. This ritual has been traditionally referred to as gongyo (literally, "assiduous practice"). Practice for others consists of action based on compassion to help give others the means to make fundamental improvements in their lives, similar to what we are undergoing through our own engagement with Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings. The development of our compassion through such practice for others is also a direct benefit to us.

Study -- To gain confidence that this practice is valid, and to understand why your efforts will bring about a result, it is essential to study the tenets of this Buddhism. The basis of study comes from the founder himself, Nichiren Daishonin. More than 700 years ago, he instructed followers in the correct way to practice; and his writings, which have been preserved and translated into English, give us valuable insight into how this practice will benefit us today.

The Soka Gakkai International (SGI) was formed to support practitioners of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism and help them teach others about it on a global scale. Today, there are some 12 million members in 190 countries, and the American branch is called SGI-USA.

The SGI has prepared numerous study materials that offer deeper looks at Buddhist theory, as well as practical applications through members’ testimonies. There are also English translations of the original teachings of Buddhism, such as the Lotus Sutra. By helping to build understanding and confidence, the study material provides vital encouragement for us especially at crucial moments.

The basic prayer or chant is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. This is the name of the Mystic Law that governs life eternally throughout the universe. Nichiren Daishonin revealed this law as the underlying principle contained in Buddhism’s highest teaching, the Lotus Sutra. All life is an expression or manifestation of this law. Thus when we chant this Mystic Law, we attune our lives to the perfect rhythm of the universe. The result is increased vital life force, wisdom, compassion and good fortune to face the challenges in front of us.
The translation of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is as follows:

Nam -- Devotion. By devoting our lives to this law through our faith, practice and study, we will awaken the life-condition of Buddha, or enlightenment, inside ourselves.

Myoho -- Mystic Law. As Nichiren Daishonin explained in one of his writings: "What then does myo signify? It is simply the mysterious nature of our life from moment to moment, which the mind cannot comprehend or words express. When we look into our own mind at any moment, we perceive neither color nor form to verify that it exists. Yet we still cannot say it does not exist, for many differing thoughts continually occur. The mind cannot be considered either to exist or not to exist. Life is indeed an elusive reality that transcends both the words and concepts of existence and nonexistence. It is neither existence nor non-existence, yet exhibits the qualities of both. It is the mystic entity of the Middle Way that is the ultimate reality. Myo is the name given to the mystic nature of life, and ho, to its manifestations" (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p. 4; see "Suggested Readings").

Renge -- Literally, the "lotus flower," which seeds and blooms at the same time. This represents the simultaneity of cause and effect. We create causes through thoughts, words and actions. With each cause made, an effect is registered simultaneously in the depths of life, and those effects are manifested when we meet the right environmental circumstances. Life itself is an endless series of causes and simultaneous effects. Chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the deepest cause we can make in order to produce our desired effect.

Kyo -- Sound or teaching. This is how the Buddha has traditionally instructed — through the spoken word, which is heard.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Vaca! That was very sincere and we appreciate your effort to clarify yourself. Many of us may still find you presumptive of the effects we are able to achieve in our lives without observing all of the precepts. I am pretty sure, from the path you described, that you were not practicing Mahayana faith. Are you Theravada?

At any rate, just to clarify to you some differences you may be unaware of, please understand that we do not seek what we refer to as "acquired enlightenment", which is what you described. We seek to reveal our original enlightenment.

Without trying to offend you, and as arrogant as it may sound, the teachings we follow actually dismiss the enlightenment one derives from the practices you describe as being inferior and not relevant to the realities of modern times. We reveal through our lives, moment by moment and day by day--through all of our imperfections, and our efforts of faith and action immersed in the sea of suffering--that we in fact live in the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light: the Buddhaland wherever, we are. The powers of our lives and faith are well documented here for the last five and a half years.

We are Nichiren Buddhists and as such, revere only the Lotus Sutra of Shakyamuni, but only as interpreted by Nichiren. It is from the title of Kumarajiva’s translation of the Lotus into Chinese that the mantra that we chant, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is derived. We practice a completely different Buddhism than you. The Mahayana schools and sutras go back almost two thousand years, so these differences are not new. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo was revealed in 1253 in Japan, based on the teachings revealed in the Lotus Sutra.

It is from these teachings that we observe the Precept of the Diamond Chalice. It is based on this truth that we are able to enjoy our lives without the Dogma of obsolete prohibitions. Smoking a joint with my wife before we go to bed has nothing to do with lacking compassion or fulfilling my vow to propagate the Law in the Latter Day. I continuously pray for the happiness of others and devote my life in concrete ways to serving them. I not only pray, I take action and I do that in the context of complex society.

We all may smoke pot, but so long as we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, we all reveal the power of our Buddha Nature. It’s there. It’s real. Several of us are in our mid-fifties, and a couple of us have been practicing this Buddhism for over 35 years. So please understand why we reacted so strongly.

You completely dismiss the concept of our capacity to do this out of hand as though we are naïve to think otherwise. We only do this practice because of the actual proof we see in our daily lives. If we saw nothing, it is unlikely we would continue to chant. (But we’ll never know since we always do!)

Keep reading!

Thomas

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
inherent enlightenment
[本覚] (Jpn hongaku )

Also, original enlightenment; or, depending on context, originally enlightened or eternally enlightened. Enlightenment, or Buddhahood, that is originally inherent in human life. Often used as an equivalent of the Buddha nature. The concept of inherent or original enlightenment is contrasted with acquired enlightenment (shikaku), the view that enlightenment occurs as a result of carrying out Buddhist practice, dispelling illusions, and developing wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts