What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Letter to Gijo-bo / WND pg. 389

Letter to Gijo-bo / WND pg. 389

I have carefully reviewed your question about the Buddhist teachings. The blessing of the Lotus Sutra is a state of life that can only be understood between Buddhas. It is an inner enlightenment that even the wisdom of Shakyamuni’s emanations throughout the ten directions may be no match for. That is why, as you well know, even the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai commented on the character myo, saying that it is defined as beyond ordinary comprehension.(1) As for this sutra, however, it is divided into various practices. These are the teachings that were known only by men such as T’ien-t’ai, Miao-lo, and Dengyo. The Great Teacher Dengyo in particular, even though he was the reincarnation of T’ien-t’ai, sent envoys to T’ang China on many occasions in an effort to resolve the doubts of others. So what is really important is that the teachings of the mutual possession of the Ten Worlds, of the hundred worlds and thousand factors, and of three thousand realms in a single moment of life are the essence of this sutra. These teachings are described in the work entitled Great Concentration and Insight.

Next, the teaching of the “Life Span” chapter is what I, Nichiren, personally depend on. Although T’ien-t’ai and Dengyo also understood it in a general way, they never put it into words or proclaimed it. The same is true of Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu. The verse section of the chapter states, “. . . singlemindedly desiring to see the Buddha, not hesitating even if it costs them their lives.” As a result of this passage, I have revealed the Buddhahood in my own life. The reason is that it is this sutra passage that has enabled me to embody the Three Great Secret Laws, or the reality of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, that is found in the “Life Span” chapter. But keep this secret, keep it secret.

The Great Teacher of Mount Hiei [Dengyo] journeyed to China and received instruction on the point of this passage. “Single” of “single-mindedly” means the one pure way, and “mind” means all phenomena.(2) That is why the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai, explaining the Chinese character for “mind,” said that its four brush strokes represent the moon and three stars, and that this implies that the mind of the effect [of Buddhahood] is pure and clean.(3) I, Nichiren, say that “single” stands for myo, or mystic, “mind” for ho, or law, “desiring” for ren, or lotus, “see” for ge, or flower, and “Buddha” for kyo, or sutra. In propagating these five characters, practitioners should “not hesitate even if it costs them their lives.”

“Single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha” may be read as follows: single-mindedly observing the Buddha, concentrating one’s mind on seeing the Buddha, and when looking at one’s own mind, perceiving that it is the Buddha. Having attained the fruit of Buddhahood, the eternally inherent three bodies, I may surpass even T’ient’ai and Dengyo, and excel even Nagarjuna and Mahakashyapa. The Buddha wrote that one should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.(4) This is what I mean when I emphatically urge you to give up even your body, and never begrudge even your life for the sake of the Lotus Sutra. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Nichiren

The twenty-eighth day of the fifth month in the tenth year of Bun’ei (1273)

Reply to Gijo-bo

Background

This letter was written at Ichinosawa on Sado Island in the fifth month, 1273, to Gijo-bo, who had been the Daishonin’s senior at Seicho-ji temple in Awa Province. Nearly a month earlier, Nichiren Daishonin had written The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind, in which he had explained both the object of devotion in terms of the Law and the correct practice for attaining enlightenment in the Latter Day. This letter briefly restates the profound contents of The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind.

Nichiren Daishonin says that, of all the chapters of the Lotus Sutra, the “Life Span” chapter is particularly important to him. He quotes a passage, “. . . single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha . . . ,” and notes, “As a result of this passage, I have revealed the Buddhahood in my own life.” He declares that in his capacity as the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law he has realized and embodied Nam-myoho-renge-kyo of the Three Great Secret Laws, which is implied in the depths of the “Life Span” chapter.

This is one of the earliest references in his writings to the Three Great Secret Laws: the invocation (Nam-myoho-renge-kyo), the object of devotion (the Gohonzon), and the place of worship (the sanctuary).

Notes

1. This statement is found in the introduction to The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra.
2. The “one pure way” refers to the true aspect inherent in all phenomena.
3. Source unknown.
4. This statement is found in both the Nirvana Sutra and the Six Paramitas Sutra.

scegy

Helloooooooooooo!

My Friends of the Great Mystical Law!

I just came back from Trets Europe SGI center that was hosting Young Summer Course for us Nichirens.

Will be short today, because i want to catch up some sleep..WHY you ask?
Well, from tuesday to sunday i was waking up at 5:30, running, chanting, studying, having dialogs, hearing experiences, laughing, being happy, taking on challanges...etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. and most importantly Opening My Heart!

Write down your determinations!
Chant More Daimoku!
Enjoy Daimoku!
Share your experiences, open your heart to Everyone!
STUDY!
Help others to become trully happy! Build your Mentor-Disciple relationship!
Be happy,gratefull to have the oppurtunity to encounter challanges because they make you grow!
Be gratefull!
Accept the Daimoku Sensei is sending us!
Substitute Chanting-Daimoku for heavy smoking!

Daimoku you from the very deepest depths of my Heart to Every single Person here that encouraged-es me in builiding my own Happiness

I will strive no matter what!

p.s.

I will write down some experiences tomorrow, my girlfriend awaits!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo​

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin states, "The wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat."* Strengthening our faith more than ever, let's drive back the raging storms of obstacles and negative forces! Let's confront them with a challenging spirit and win!**

Daisaku Ikeda

*"Something uncommon also occurs when an ordinary person attains Buddhahood. At such a time, three obstacles and four devils will invariably appear, and the wise will rejoice while the foolish will retreat." - "The Three Obstacles and Four Devils", WND-I, page 637

** "People leading lives of minor good who practice faith only for their own benefit will certainly not encounter obstacles, but those leading lives of major good dedicated to altruistic bodhisattva practice will most definitely be assailed by devilish functions...

"Just like lotus flowers that bloom unsullied by the muddy water in which they grow, we [the members of the Soka Gakkai] boldly plunge into the midst of forces hostile to the correct teaching people of small and medium good who commit slander of the Law and resolutely seek to redress their grave error and wrongdoing. It is only natural, therefore, that the three obstacles and four devils will furiously descend upon us. Indeed, their appearance earns us the name of 'practitioners.'

"We mustn't be fainthearted 'believers' who only desire minor benefit for themselves and are too fearful to battle devilish functions. Authentic 'practitioners' are those who throw themselves wholeheartedly into battling the three obstacles and four devils for the sake of the great benefits of attaining Buddhahood in this lifetime and advancing kosen-rufu for the happiness of people everywhere. All members of the Soka Gakkai are noble 'practitioners of the Lotus Sutra' of the modern day."
(SGI Newsletter No. 7832, SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series LEARNING FROM THE WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN: THE TEACHINGS FOR VICTORY [6] "Letter to the Brothers" Part 3 [of 3])

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Each of you should summon up the courage of a lion king and never succumb to threats from anyone. The lion king fears no other beast, nor do its cubs."

(On Persecutions Befalling the Sage - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 997) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 24th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin says,
"(Because I have expounded this teaching, I have been
exiled and almost killed. As the saying goes, 'Good
advice grates on the ear.')
But still I am not discouraged."*
Let's take on every challenge confidently,
and charge ahead with the courage of a lion king!
Chanting abundant and sincere daimoku,
let's be in perfect unity so that we can ensure absolute victory!

Daisaku Ikeda

*"The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood" - WND-I, page

E

EasyMyohoDisco

I'm so pleased to be a part of this movement! It gives me strength and reminds me of my honor of being a CHANTING GROWER!

Keep up the good fight my friends and family.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood / WND pg.746

The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood / WND pg.746

The “Expedient Means” chapter in volume one of the Lotus Sutra states, “The wisdom of the Buddhas is infinitely profound and immeasurable.” A commentary says that the riverbed of reality is described as “infinitely profound” because it is boundless, and that the water of wisdom is described as “immeasurable” because it is hard to fathom.(1)

Is not the meaning of the sutra and the commentary that the way to Buddhahood lies within the two elements of reality and wisdom? Reality means the true nature of all phenomena, and wisdom means the illuminating and manifesting of this true nature. Thus when the riverbed of reality is infinitely broad and deep, the water of wisdom will flow ceaselessly. When this reality and wisdom are fused, one attains Buddhahood in one’s present form.

The sutras expounded prior to the Lotus Sutra cannot lead to Buddhahood because they are provisional and expedient teachings that separate reality and wisdom. The Lotus Sutra, however, unites the two as a single entity. The sutra says that the Buddhas open the door of Buddha wisdom to all living beings, show it, cause them to awaken to it, and induce them to enter its path. By realizing this Buddha wisdom, one attains Buddhahood.(2)

This inner enlightenment of the Buddha is far beyond the understanding of voice-hearers and pratyekabuddhas. This is why the “Expedient Means” chapter goes on to say, “Not one of the voice-hearers or pratyekabuddhas is able to comprehend it.” What then are these two elements of reality and wisdom? They are simply the five characters of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Shakyamuni Buddha called forth the Bodhisattvas of the Earth and entrusted to them these five characters that constitute the essence of the sutra. This is the teaching that was transferred to the bodhisattvas who had been the disciples of the Buddha since the remote past.

The Lotus Sutra states that Bodhisattva Superior Practices and the others will appear in the first five hundred years of the Latter Day of the Law to propagate the five characters, the embodiment of the two elements of reality and wisdom. The sutra makes this perfectly clear. Who could possibly dispute it? I, Nichiren, am neither Bodhisattva Superior Practices nor his envoy, but I precede them, spreading the five characters to prepare the way. Bodhisattva Superior Practices received the water of the wisdom of the Mystic Law from the Thus Come One Shakyamuni and causes it to flow into the wasteland of the people’s lives in the evil world of the latter age. This is the function of wisdom. Shakyamuni Buddha transferred this teaching to Bodhisattva Superior Practices, and now Nichiren propagates it in Japan. With regard to the transfer of teachings, it is divided into two categories: general and specific. If you confuse the general with the specific even in the slightest, (3) you will never be able to attain Buddhahood and will wander in suffering through endless transmigrations of births and deaths.

For example, the voice-hearers in Shakyamuni Buddha’s lifetime received the seeds of Buddhahood from Shakyamuni in the distant past when he was the sixteenth son of the Buddha Great Universal Wisdom Excellence. Therefore, they could not attain enlightenment by following Amida, Medicine Master, or any other Buddha. To illustrate, if a family member brings home water from the ocean, the entire family can use it. But were they to refuse even a single drop of that water and instead go looking for water from some other ocean, it would be terribly misguided and foolish. In the same way, to forget the original teacher who had brought one the water of wisdom from the great ocean of the Lotus Sutra and instead follow another would surely cause one to sink into the endless sufferings of birth and death.

One should abandon even one’s teacher if he or she is misguided, though there will be cases where this is not necessary. One should decide according to the principles both of the world and of Buddhism. Priests in the Latter Day of the Law are ignorant of the principles of Buddhism and are conceited, so they despise the correct teacher and fawn on patrons. True priests are those who are honest and who desire little and yet know satisfaction. Volume one of The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra states: “Those who have yet to attain the truth should humble themselves before the highest principle, which is comparable to heaven, and feel abashed before all the sages. Then they will be monks with a sense of shame. When they manifest insight and wisdom, then they will be true monks.”

The Nirvana Sutra states: “If even a good monk sees someone destroying the teaching and disregards him, failing to reproach him, to oust him, or to punish him for his offense, then you should realize that that monk is betraying the Buddha’s teaching. But if he ousts the destroyer of the Law, reproaches him, or punishes him, then he is my disciple and a true voice-hearer.” You should etch deeply in your mind the two words “see” and “disregard” in the phrase “sees someone destroying the teaching and disregards him, failing to reproach him.” Both teacher and followers will surely fall into the hell of incessant suffering if they see enemies of the Lotus Sutra but disregard them and fail to reproach them. The Great Teacher Nan-yüeh says that they “will fall into hell along with those evil persons.”(4) To hope to attain Buddhahood without speaking out against slander is as futile as trying to find water in the midst of fire or fire in the midst of water. No matter how sincerely one believes in the Lotus Sutra, if one is guilty of failing to rebuke slander of the Law, one will surely fall into hell, just as a single crab leg will ruin a thousand pots of lacquer. This is the meaning of the passage in the sutra, “Because the poison has penetrated deeply and their minds no longer function as before.”(5)

The sutra states, “Those persons who had heard the Law dwelled here and there in various Buddha lands, constantly reborn in company with their teachers,”(6) and “If one stays close to the teachers of the Law, one will speedily gain the bodhisattva way. By following and learning from these teachers one will see Buddhas as numerous as Ganges sands.”(7) A commentary says, “Originally one followed this Buddha and for the first time conceived the desire to seek the way. And by following this Buddha again, one will reach the stage where there is no retrogression.”(8) Another commentary says, “In the beginning one followed this Buddha or bodhisattva and formed a bond with him, and so it will be through this Buddha or bodhisattva that one will attain one’s goal.”(9) Above all, be sure to follow your original teacher so that you are able to attain Buddhahood. Shakyamuni Buddha is the original teacher for all people, and moreover, he is endowed with the virtues of sovereign and parent. Because I have expounded this teaching, I have been exiled and almost killed. As the saying goes, “Good advice grates on the ear.” But still I am not discouraged. The Lotus Sutra is like the seed, the Buddha like the sower, and the people like the field. If you deviate from these principles, not even I can save you in your next life.

With my deep respect,
Nichiren

The third day of the eighth month in the second year of Kenji (1276), cyclical sign hinoe-ne

To Soya

Background

This letter is addressed to Soya, a lay follower who lived in Soya Village in Shimosa Province. His full name and title were Soya Jiro Hyoe-no-jo Kyoshin, and he is thought to have been an officer of the high court of the Kamakura shogunate. He had converted to Nichiren Daishonin’s teachings around 1260 and became one of the leading believers in the area, together with Toki Jonin and Ota Jomyo.

In 1271, Soya became a lay priest and was given the Buddhist name Horen Nichirai by the Daishonin. Horen built two temples and lived at one of them until he died in 1291 at the age of sixty-eight.

In this letter, the Daishonin first quotes the “Expedient Means” chapter of the Lotus Sutra and states, “The way to Buddhahood lies within the two elements of reality and wisdom.” Reality indicates the ultimate truth that the Law permeates all phenomena in the universe. Wisdom, on the other hand, means the ability to perceive and understand this truth. When this wisdom exists — when the “water of wisdom” fills the “riverbed of reality”— it is known as the fusion of reality and wisdom. This is enlightenment. In other words, one illuminates and manifests the Law in one’s own life.

The Daishonin stresses that Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the Law that unites both reality and wisdom; it is the seed of Buddhahood for all people in the Latter Day. This Law is to be propagated by Bodhisattva Superior Practices at the beginning of the Latter Day. The Daishonin states that he is the first one to embark on this great mission, by which he is really indicating that he is the original teacher who will lead all people to enlightenment.

Next, he points out that any teacher or disciple who ignores those who commit slander of the Law will fall into hell. This amounts to a compassionate warning about the responsibility believers have to protect the Buddha’s teaching.

Notes

1. This commentary is based on passages from The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra and The Annotations on “The Profound Meaning of the Lotus Sutra.”
2. The wording of the Japanese text has been expanded for clarity. In the “Expedient Means” chapter of the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni reveals the “one great reason” why the Buddhas make their advent in the world. He says it is to enable all people to realize their inherent Buddha wisdom.
3. The general refers to an overall or surface view, and the specific, to a deeper, more sharply delineated view. In the “Entrustment” chapter of the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni makes a general transfer of the sutra to all the bodhisattvas present, but in the “Supernatural Powers” chapter, he spe cifically transfers the essence of the sutra, or the Mystic Law, to Bodhisattva Superior Practices and the other Bodhisattvas of the Earth.
4. This phrase is found in a passage from On the Peaceful Practices of the Lotus Sutra, which reads: “If there should be a bodhisattva who protects evil persons and fails to chastise them . . . then, when his life comes to an end, he will fall into hell along with those evil persons.”
5. Lotus Sutra, chap. 16.
6. Ibid., chap. 7.
7. Ibid., chap. 10.
8. Profound Meaning.
9. The Annotations on “The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra.”

scegy

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo​

Coming back soon with an experience to share with you, and Thomas i'm also sending you Daimoku!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I came home from work today and the mrs had a new friend. She found herself a year old female cat... from the animal shelter. She seems to be a real lover ... is spade and so far shows to be a great hunter. Since we lost our kitty of 17 years we have been over run by lizards and ground squirrels. Will be nice to have a "helper" on board. I find the timing of things to be just amazing :) She is a pure black cat with bright greenblue eyes. Such a friendly girl... just thought I would share.
Nam myhoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm smiling! Congratulations on your new family member!

I'm worried about SoCal, I'm worried about Desi, and I've never stopped worrying about Bonzo. I sure hope I hear from my family members soon!!!

Deepest respect,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The challenging spirit for kosen-rufu is the
very entity of Myoho-renge-kyo.
There is absolutely nothing that we need to be afraid of.
Let's tap all the Buddha's wisdom and strength that we
need and cheerfully win every challenge that we take on!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is said that, if a teacher has a good disciple, both will gain the fruit of Buddhahood, but if a teacher fosters a bad disciple, both will fall into hell. If teacher and disciple are of different minds, they will never accomplish anything."

(Flowering and Bearing Grain - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 909) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 3rd, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ours is a faith based on courage.
Once we overcome our trials and tribulations
we can experience an expansive state of life
like that of Nichiren Daishonin, who says:
"I feel immeasurable delight (even though I am now an exile)"*.
Let us win a thrilling victory!

Daisaku Ikeda

*The True Aspect of All Phenomena, WND-1, Page 386. "Because I view things this way, I feel immeasurable delight even though I am now an exile."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It must be ties of karma from the distant past that have destined you to become my disciple at a time like this. Shakyamuni and Many Treasures certainly realized this truth. The sutra's statement, 'Those persons who had heard the Law dwelled here and there in various Buddha lands, constantly reborn in company with their teachers,' cannot be false in any way."

(The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 217) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 5th, 2009

Leviathan

this week has been a breeze, ive chanted daily for up to one hour and on my way to work today i recieved all green lights and at the grocery store i even was first in line, (i went twice mind u) I love how chanting nam- myoho- renge -kyo , takes away the upsetting things in life and makes them more endurable, i guess were all just chant to are spiritual box kind of people and we should feel good about that fact that were warriors , if we have a problem we look into ouselfs first, then we chant to our gohonzon for as many hours as it takes to get over some minnor thing that the average person could just forget, no we go the extra mile as a boddisattva in struggle because sometimes those green lights are needed as your late for a life changing meeting, or with a diabetic whos blood sugar is dropping and you really need a snack for them, when I look back at the previous weeks 6 hours chanting im happy inside that my friends blood sugar didnt have to drop to low and I owe it all to my diamoku-you should have seen the lines, thank you nichiren for the express lane at safeway.
Please go back if you would, to post 10384 and edit your "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" to read exactly that. Thanks!

Best regards,

Thomas

not a problem sir. i have mild dyslexia and at times i just want to let it be. wont happen again.

Last edited:
E

EasyMyohoDisco

I'm also having a great week. Just had my annual work review and it was awesome! My told me if I'm not a director in the company by next year he will be very disappointed! I'm very pleased with the last few months and have quite a bit of chanting to do in order to make the next few months better for me to do kosen-rufu.

My mission is clear when I'm chanting more and practicing my faith correctly!

Thanks for the continuous support, I couldn't have done it alone.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Congrats to my friends on their recent benefits! Keep up the good daimoku, the rest of the way will be paved in increasing good karma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts