Status
Not open for further replies.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

From a translation of "Daily Encouragement", by President Ikeda, published in the Seikyo Shimbun

Friday, February 13th, 2009
---- DAILY ENCOURAGEMENT ----
"A Buddhist text states: 'As practice progresses and understanding grows, the three obstacles and four devils emerge in confusing form, vying with one another to interfere...One should be neither influenced nor frightened by them' (WND-1, 501). Devilish forces arise in the most troublesome and confusing of forms, but if we can see them for what they are, we can defeat them. If we courageously face them head-on, they will retreat. Then we can experience a bright, clear, expansive life-state resembling the blue skies after a storm.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"Because I chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with my own mouth, I have been reviled, struck, exiled, and had my life threatened. However, in spite of all this, I have continued to exhort others to do likewise. Am I not then a votary of the Lotus Sutra?"

No Safety in the Threefold World
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 892)

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Quote: Friday, February 13th, 2009
"A Buddhist text states: 'As practice progresses and understanding grows, the three obstacles and four devils emerge in confusing form, vying with one another to interfere...One should be neither influenced nor frightened by them' (WND-1, 501). Devilish forces arise in the most troublesome and confusing of forms, but if we can see them for what they are, we can defeat them. If we courageously face them head-on, they will retreat. Then we can experience a bright, clear, expansive life-state resembling the blue skies after a storm.

WoW! This is so right-on I can't believe it.The more I study and the more I understand, the more those devils and obstacles put themselves in my face. It sometimes makes me want to just stop learning and growing, but what would be the sense of that...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Greetings to all in the group!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Desi did you receive your Gohonzon?!? I'm happy to have read your message! Many Thanks!

Chris and Babba, THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH! WOOOHOOO, PROTECTION TO THE FULLEST! I'm so glad to be in sychronization with the awesome rythym of the Protective Forces of Nature! Both of you (Babba and Chris) are manifestations of Shoten-Zenjin.

heavenly gods and benevolent deities
[諸天善神] (Jpn shoten-zenjin )

Also, Buddhist gods, protective gods, tutelary gods, guardian deities, etc. The gods that protect the correct Buddhist teaching and its practition-ers. Gods who function to protect the people and their land and bring good fortune to both. Heavenly gods and benevolent deities is a generic term for the Buddhist pantheon that includes Brahma, Shakra, the four heavenly kings, the Sun Goddess, the gods of the sun and moon, and other deities. Many of these gods and deities were traditionally revered in India, China, and Japan. They became part of Buddhist thought as Buddhism flourished in those areas. Rather than primary objects of belief or devotion, Buddhism tends to view them as functioning to support and protect the Buddha, the Law, or Buddhist teachings, and practi-tioners.The "Introduction" (first) chapter of the Lotus Sutra describes a scene in which the heavenly beings or gods gather to hear the preaching of the sutra. The "Peaceful Practices" (fourteenth) chapter of the sutra says, "The heavenly beings day and night will for the sake of the Law constantly guard and protect [those who practice as the sutra teaches]." In the Lotus Sutra, the gods are regarded as the guardians of those who embrace the sutra. In The Treatment of Illness, Nichiren (1222-1282) writes, "The fundamental nature of enlightenment manifests itself as Brahmaand Shakra, whereas the fundamental darkness manifests itself as the devil king of the sixth heaven" (1113). Here the gods are viewed as manifestations of the Buddha nature in one's life. The Golden Light Sutra reads: "Though this sutra exists in the nation, its ruler has never allowed it to be propagated. In his heart he turns away from it, and he takes no pleasure in hearing its teachings.... In the end, he makes it impossible for us [the four heavenly kings] and the other countless heavenly beings who are our follow-ers to hear this profound and wonderful teaching. He deprives us of the sweet dew of its words and cuts us off from the flow of the correct teaching, so that our majesty and strength are drained away.... And once we and the others abandon and desert this nation, then many different types of disasters will occur in the country, and the ruler will fall from power." This passage may be interpreted as indicating that the gods gain their strength from the Buddhist Law, and that they are the inherent functions of nature and society that protect those who uphold that Law.

Therefore, your protection of this thread is akin to a sincere reflection of your Buddhahood. I am very pleased to be in your company!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

From "Words of Wisdom", on Love, by President Ikeda on www.ikedaquotes.org. Happy Valentine's Day!!

True love should be transformative, a process that amplifies our capacity to cherish not just one person but all people. It can make us stronger, lift us higher and deepen us as individuals. Only to the extent that one polishes oneself now can one hope to develop wonderful bonds of the heart in the future.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Don't be Afraid. Don't be Defeated. Faith! Victory of Gold!

Don't be Afraid. Don't be Defeated. Faith! Victory of Gold!

"Grass without roots will die in no time and a river without a source will not flow far. A child without parents is looked down upon. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the heart of the "Life Span" chapter, is the mother of all Buddhas throughout the ten directions and the three existences of past, present and future."

The Essence of the "Life Span" Chapter
(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 184)

Like the Roar of the Lion, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
True Love is Everything!

True Love is Everything!

From "Words of Wisdom", on Love, by President Ikeda on www.ikedaquotes.org. Happy Valentine's Day!!

True love should be transformative, a process that amplifies our capacity to cherish not just one person but all people. It can make us stronger, lift us higher and deepen us as individuals. Only to the extent that one polishes oneself now can one hope to develop wonderful bonds of the heart in the future.

Thankyou Babba so much for this one from President Ikeda. I get more out of him than anything else.........how can that be slander?.........I don't think it can....because he transforms the writings of Nichiren into a poetic philosophy.

If that is a Buddha's Valentine, I try to make everyday one.....I've always loved everybody, not just one person. That is me.

Humility & Peace.........Desi

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Thankyou Babba so much for this one from President Ikeda. I get more out of him than anything else.........how can that be slander?.........I don't think it can....because he transforms the writings of Nichiren into a poetic philosophy.

If that is a Buddha's Valentine, I try to make everyday one.....I've always loved everybody, not just one person. That is me.

Humility & Peace.........Desi

Nichiren Daishonin urges us to "Rely upon The Law before the Persons." So as cool as President Ikeda is, I find it awesome that he has encouraged many of us to keep going back to the Gohonzon and getting back on track with Kosen-rufu in the 21st Century. Anyone or anything that comes between you and your Gohonzon is most likely fundamental darkness in some way shape or form. Beware of quick fixes and expectations of alchemy in the form of silver bullets is my two cents, and sometimes when people submit to a mentor they may lose focus on their personal goals which should always be running in the front of our lives with our Gohonzon, chants and daily practice. I like that President Ikeda and especially President Toda strictly encourage me to read The Goshos and do the hard work and homework for myself!

Hey Desi, Did you receive your Gohonzon? Any benefits from your renewed Buddhist practice Desi?

My best benefit since I lost my job has been I've been averaging a half hour a day since my layoff and tonight I'll complete my 15th hour (only 30 minutes left for that) towards 1 million daimoku (15 minutes at a time) some days under five minutes but a few days with an hour or two have kept me going strong. Over the past three years some months i chant alot other months barely anything but lately I've been accumulating tons of time with Gohonzon and really paving the way for better days. Speaking of better days, My lady and I are planning on getting married this year and we are working on setting up something, but it sure is stressful! I think preparing for matrimony is a huge benefit for me, psychologically and economically :)

Anyone else have any recent benefits or chanting related results to share with us? Babba, Socal, Bonz, Scegy, Mrs.Babba, and any other chanters spread the wealth of your good fortune!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Sorry for my absence everyone:) Was mrsB's birthday and we spent a few days out of town. Had a wonderful time!! Hope everyone is feeling fine and happy :) Much love to you all
Nam myoho renge kyo !

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HOLY SHIT!!!! I GOT ON!!!!!!!

This is the first time in almost two months that I logged on and got through!!!

DUDES!!!! I had almost given up hope!

HA HA HA! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Let me start reading some posts and I hope this isn't just a one-time thing. I have missed you all so much! But shit it's three-thirty AM. I'll wake up the wife if I keep typing. See you guys again soon! (Chris thanks for your email!)

Much love and deepest respect! I bow in humble obeisance to you all!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In Buddhism, the world we live in is called the 'saha world.' 'Saha' means 'endurance.' We all struggle with various problems and difficulties that press in upon us. What is crucial is whether we can endure and triumph over them. Life is a struggle for which we need an invincible spirit.

"Nichiren Daishonin, too, placed utmost importance on an invincible spirit. Indeed, we can see this spirit burning brightly throughout his writings.

"In 'On Prolonging One's Life Span,' he says in praise of his loyal disciple Shijo Kingo, an exemplary predecessor of our men's division members: 'He is a man who never gives in to defeat and who greatly values his friends' (WND-1, 955).

"The Buddha is known
as 'One Who Can Endure.'
Our perseverance then
is clear proof that we are
Bodhisattvas of the Earth."

SGI Newsletter No. 7713, Be Invincible in Spirit, from the March 2009 issue of Daibyakurenge, translated Feb.17th 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Happy Birthday Mrs. BABBA! Welcome Back PTD!

Happy Birthday Mrs. BABBA! Welcome Back PTD!

Good to see you PasstheDoobie! Very encouraging sign! Time to go chant some more :)

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK. I'm getting kind of dizzy and feeling a little light headed. I have to go back to bed! But two hours of speed reading and I can only say how much I love you all and am honored to share time in this saha world chanting and practicing the Daishonin's Buddhism with you.

I have no idea why the Universe exiled me for these last sixty days, but just so you know I am VERY involved with local activities and am being considered to become the leader of our International Group this year. The six kids are some of the most beautiful and happy Buddhas I have ever known, and their innate fortune continues to blow me away! My wife and I are more in love than ever and we chant together every day. Life is good in the Land of Eternally Tranquil Light. We have problems and challenges, but we kick their ass with Daimoku, and keep on going.

So to Bud, and SoCal, and Easy, and Hit, and Scegy, and Bonz, and Desi, and Sleepy, and En-light, and MrsB, and Wilson, and everyone else that I am forgetting in my fogginess--Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! (and good night!)

T

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thank you EasyMyohoDisco...and so HAPPPPYYYY to see Thomas back here again...now I can focus and spend more time here as things progress with renewed force.

Yes, there is a direct correlation between chanting and not in regards to how well things seem to be running along in this multiverse. Recently I let myself become distracted, and am now paying more respect as a new path unfolds out of literally nowhere, a return to this reality of ICMAG and the Chanting Growers...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Last edited:
E

EasyMyohoDisco

Very Good Gentlemen!

Very Good Gentlemen!

I just finished two (2) hours of daimoku and will do another hour in a bit! I started right after my post before and I must say I'm glad to read the followup immediately after chanting. Gonna spark a bowl drink some coffee and bring back the focus. It's funny but usually on Fridays I chant alot for some reason?

Anyway I gotta get this money and have to keep depositing daimoku for it!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

P.S. This is my ongoing list at the moment:

Complete education by 12/10.
Best Possible Financial Fortune by 6/9 (or sooner!).
5 Shakubuku by or before 1 million diamoku (just finished my 17th hour).
For me and my wife to get A's in school.
For my wife's job to continue improving and for me to find meaningful work.
Create more life long bonds with others.
Expand my consistency in everything (break the karma of losing focus).
Chant more everyday (=Happiness).
All my SGI chapter (local and Chanting Growers) members to prosper.
Maria will Win!
Mary and Jo to Win!
Happiness for my family.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo

Nam myoho renge kyo

Wow just had an incredibly challenging last couple days at work... show up here and what a wonderful site. All my chanting brothers with smiles on their faces. So glad to see the universe has chosen to let us all back here to spend some more time together. Really love all you guys!! So glad to see you T :)
Nam myoho renge kyo Like the Roar of the Lion

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
You Have To Make Time!

You Have To Make Time!

Quote: Friday, February 13th, 2009

WoW! This is so right-on I can't believe it.The more I study and the more I understand, the more those devils and obstacles put themselves in my face. It sometimes makes me want to just stop learning and growing, but what would be the sense of that...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Greetings to all in the group!

Payaso, today I'm off work, and now this quote really rings true after realizing it at work this week, by putting it to pratice.

Bro, your last post is so humble, all I can say is Yes!

Hey "T", Babba, Easy, SoCal, Bonz, Sleepy, Scegy, Hit, EnL, Wilson,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and of course Payaso, and Mrs. Babba!,........ love, desi!

Hitman

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo To All!

Peace to all! Keep striving, keep pushing. Lean forward and step into the head-wind. Daimoku all the way!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
History is made in small gatherings!
It is important that we value the presence of each participant,
rising and greeting them from afar and showing them the same respect we would a Buddha.*
Warmly welcoming and sincerely applauding members,
(for the efforts they made to be able to come or contribute to a meeting,)
let us create waves of appreciation and joy!

Daisaku Ikeda

* "The Fourteen Slanders", WND-1, Page 757, "Even an ignorant person can obtain blessings by serving someone who expounds the Lotus Sutra. No matter if he is a demon or an animal, if someone proclaims even a single verse or phrase of the Lotus Sutra, you must respect him as you would the Buddha. This is what the sutra means when it says, "You should rise and greet him from afar, showing him the same respect you would a Buddha."You should respect one another as Shakyamuni and Many Treasures did at the ceremony in the "Treasure Tower" chapter."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts