What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Although at heart you are of the same mind as Nichiren, since your person is in service to your lord, it would have been extremely difficult for you to have avoided the offense of complicity in slander. How admirable it is that, despite this, you communicated this teaching to your lord and urged him to take faith in it. Even though he may fail to accept it now, you have managed to avoid the offense of complicity.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 461
On Recommending This Teaching to Your Lord and Avoiding the Offense of Complicity in Slander
Written to Shijo Kingo on September 26, 1274

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
What the Lotus Sutra, T’ien-t’ai, and Miao-lo intend to say is that the act of accepting and upholding or protecting and embracing one verse of the Lotus Sutra surpasses the act of making offerings to all living beings, or making offerings to arhats, or even of filling the entire major world system with the seven kinds of treasures as an offering to all Buddhas.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 973
The Unmatched Blessings of the Law
Written to the lay priest Nishiya

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The wise course is to control and make correct use of knowledge. Buddhism is a means for developing wisdom, and it teaches how to overcome the four inherent sufferings or sorrows-birth, aging, illness and death-in order to lead a happy, meaningful life. In addition it teaches how to control desire rather than be controlled by it.

Wisdom for Modern Life by Daisaku Ikeda
(Buddhism Day by Day)

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Buddhism is concerned with the present and the future. Instead of looking back at the past, we should always live our lives gazing from the present towards the future."

Daisaku Ikeda

E

EasyMyohoDisco

"The number of those endowed with human life is as small as the amount of earth one can place on a fingernail. Life as a human being is hard to sustain – as hard as it is for the dew to remain on the grass. But it is better to live a single day with honor than to live to 120 and die in disgrace. Live so that all the people of Kamakura will say in your praise that Nakatsukasa Saburo Saemon-no-jo is diligent in the service of his lord, in the service of Buddhism, and in his concern for other people."

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 851
The Three Kinds of Treasure

Written to Shijo Kingo on September 11, 1277

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only
within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus
Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

(WND, 832)
The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon
Written to Nichinyo on August 23, 1277

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Faith means making a hundred percent effort ourselves -- in our daimoku
and in our actions. When we practice in this way, the Buddhist gods
will lend us their protection. We mustn't have a complacent, dependent
attitude in faith, chanting haphazardly without definite goals and
making only halfhearted efforts in the belief that we'll automatically
be protected. Depth of determination and unshakable character are
vital. Those possessing these qualities are second to none in faith.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Faith, which at first glance may appear weak, is actually the most
powerful force in the world. Many people put on a show of being strong,
but true strength has nothing to do with appearances. On the contrary,
we usually find that the weaker the individual, the greater his or her
bravado or outward display of strength.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Where can we find happiness? Happiness is not found in a tranquil life free of storms and tempests. Real happiness is found in the struggles we undergo to realize our goals, in our efforts to move forward.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
A sword is useless in the hands of a coward. The mighty sword of the Lotus Sutra must be wielded by one courageous in faith. Then one will be as strong as a demon armed with an iron staff. -Nichiren

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Life is filled with trials and tribulations. There may be times when, in the face of indescribable hardship, we feel like giving up. But we mustn't. No matter how bleak our situation appears, we must never abandon hope. In any struggle, it is up to us to resolve that we will not be defeated; it is up to us to be absolutely determined to win. Everything will open from there."

SGI Newsletter No. 7635, Reflections on Jiro Nitta’s The Flower of Fuji --Part 2 [of 2], from the Aug. 24th, 2008, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated Sep. 25th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"I entrust you with the propagation of Buddhism in your province."

(The Properties of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1117) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, September 26th, 2008

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The meaning of this passage is that those who obtained benefit during the Former and Middle Days of the Law received “conspicuous” benefit, because the relationship they formed with the Lotus Sutra during the lifetime of the Buddha had finally matured. On the other hand, those born today in the Latter Day of the Law receive the seeds of Buddhahood for the first time, and their benefit is therefore “inconspicuous.”

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 474
The Teaching, Practice and Proof
Written to Sammi-bo on March 21, 1275

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Those who strengthen their faith day by day and month after month are genuine practitioners. Our daily practice of gongyo, therefore, is important, as well as is attending meetings every month. We must not let our faith grow weak. We must make it stronger today than yesterday, stronger this month than last. Buddhist practice is a succession of such untiring efforts, the ultimate goal of which is attaining the summit of Buddhahood.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good friends are lifelong treasures. Good relations between others are the basis of a happy, peaceful society. It's important to try to be enthusiastic about getting together with other people and developing our friendships.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Great events never have minor omens. When great evil occurs, great good follows."

(Great Evil and Great Good - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1119) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, September 24th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Striving together with the same heart as one's mentor--this has been the guiding spirit and wish of the first three presidents. It is directly connected to the spirit of Nichiren Daishonin and Shakyamuni Buddha, who championed the highest cause of the happiness of all people. By striving with the same heart as our mentor, we can overcome any arrogance or self-complacence in our own lives."

SGI Newsletter No. 7630, 21st SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING--PART 4 [OF 4], Imparting Hope to Others, translated from the Sep. 10th, 2008, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun on Sep. 19th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Say Desi, Where ya been? It's been a week. And hey Scegy! Are you OK? Hit? How is everybody? SoCal? Bud? (No jam yet...) I am sure Easy is kicking ass too!

I have always stayed in touch with my homeland by reading the online editions of CNN and the Chicago Tribune /LA Times everyday. Then I started adding Time (and Real Clear Politics) and Newsweek (and MSNBC).

I found the New York Times for the first time recently and can't seem to get enough. It got me reading the Washington Post, Politico, Huffington, The Democtratic Stategist. I apologize but I am a politcal junkie and this happens every four years.

My mom was a democratic ward volunteer. It's the one legacy she instilled in me in the brief time she was alive during my life. I have voted a straight democratic ticket in every election I have ever participated in since kindergarden.

But make no mistake about it, America's shit flows downstream to the rest of the world. We really are all connected now. This is truly the time for kosen rufu.

Much love and deep respect to all my friends. Thank you for being in my life! PS: I talked to Bonz. He and his mom are chanting everyday.

They are fighting hard but very economically challenged right now. Please keep sending them Daimoku! He sounded strong, let's help propel him to victory in his challenge, just as I pray you all are also victorious in yours!

I'm chanting hours a day. I hope you are too!

T

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Whether we are in earnest or merely making an empty gesture becomes evident from what actions we subsequently take. A new history will only be created when we make earnest and committed effort."

SGI Newsletter No. 7621, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 21: Chap. 4, Jewelled Crown 17, translated Sep. 10th, 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.