What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Rather than offering up ten thousand prayers for remedy, it would be better simply to outlaw this one evil."

(On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 15) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 8th, 2008

E

EasyMyohoDisco

At the start of the Latter Day of The Law it was Hemp, Now it is Cannabis!

At the start of the Latter Day of The Law it was Hemp, Now it is Cannabis!

From the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mugwort that grows in the midst of hemp or a snake inside a tube [will as a matter of course become straight], and those who associate with people of good character will consequently become upright in heart, deed and word. The Lotus Sutra exerts a similar influence. The Buddha will look upon one who simply puts faith in this sutra as a good person.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 1128
The Bodies and Minds of Ordinary Beings

Recipient and date unknown

"puff puff then pass the cannabis and make good karma by always sharing and caring..." ~EasyMyohoDisco

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
It is easy to sustain our concern for someone who is before our very
eyes, but quite a different thing when that person is far ways, even
though in our heart we may not forget him. Nevertheless, in the five
years... that have already passed since I came to live here in the
mountains, you have sent your husband from the province of Sado to
visit me three times. How great is your sincerity! It is firmer than
the great earth, deeper than the great sea!

(WND, 933)
The Sutra of True Requital
Written to the lay nun Sennichi on July 28, 1278

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
We accumulate great good fortune through our earnest prayers, devotion
and efforts for the sake of Buddhism, kosen-rufu and humankind. Prayer
without action is not the way of Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism.

Daisaku Ikeda

Hitman

Chanting has been feeling very soothing lately, pretty amazing. It's like when I start to chant I feel like, man, I needed this bad.

Peace to everyone. I haven't been keeping up but it's sure good being here.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Bubba's gardenia is beau!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The doctrine of lessening one's karmic retribution in the Daishonin's Buddhism is none other than the principle for redirecting our lives toward happiness right at this very moment--here, now, just as we are. Similarly, transforming our karma is none other than changing those inner life-tendencies that keep us trapped in negativity and unhappiness and solidly putting ourselves on a positive path.

Therefore, the present moment in which we wage this struggle is vitally important. In "The Opening of the Eyes," the Daishonin cites the passage from the Contemplation on the Mind-Ground Sutra, which states: "If you want to understand the causes that existed in the past, look at the results as they are manifested in the present. And if you want to understand what results will be manifested in the future, look at the causes that exist in the present" (WND-1, 279). Our present is the result or effect of our past causes. At the same time, the present itself becomes the cause that will shape our future. The three existences--past, present, and future--are all contained in the present, in this instant. The important thing is how we change our attitude or inner resolve at this moment. This is because we can freely create our future through our determination and action right at this very instant.

SGI Newsletter No. 7595, SGI President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series, LEARNING FROM THE GOSHO: THE HOPE-FILLED WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN, [9] "Lessening One's Karmic Retribution". Translated on August 7th, 2008.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There have been many people throughout the history of our movement who have betrayed their mentors to whom they were greatly indebted, caused suffering to their fellow members, and tried to harm the Soka Gakkai. All of you have seen the wretched and hellish state of life into which these unfortunate individuals have subsequently fallen. No matter what clever arguments they might present to justify their actions, they have engineered their
downfall through their own self-betrayal.

I'll never forget the words the youthful Mongolian president Nambaryn Enkhbayar shared with me during our meeting (in February 2007). They were some lines from a Mongolian folk song: "We speak of hell, but where does hell come from? / Breaking a vow you have made--that is hell."

In the course of life, we are bound to meet with various hardships and occasional unexpected storms of destiny. It is also certain, in the light of the Lotus Sutra and the Daishonin's writings, that the Soka Gakkai--an organization of votaries of the Lotus Sutra--will be targeted for attack by the three powerful enemies of Buddhism. And it is also only natural that individuals who have abandoned and betrayed their faith out of envy or ingratitude will plot against us. Each such challenge presents what the Daishonin calls a "crucial moment" (WND-1, 283). What counts at that time is whether one remains true to one's vow for kosen-rufu--as the Daishonin declares: "This is my vow, and I will never forsake it!" (WND-1, 281). This is the key to attaining Buddhahood in this lifetime and securing a state of happiness that will endure throughout eternity.

SGI Newsletter No.7586 - SGI President Ikeda's Essay, The Light of the Century of Humanity, "Celebrating the Start of the Ikeda Kayo-kai". Translated on July 28, 2008

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In the same way, to forget the original teacher who had brought one the water of wisdom from the great ocean of the Lotus Sutra and instead follow another would surely cause one to sink into the endless sufferings of birth and death."

(The Essentials for Attaining Buddhahood - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 747) Selection source: Learning from Gosho, Seikyo Shimbun, August 9th, 2008

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The important thing is to keep working for kosen-rufu to the very end.
On any journey, we cannot hope to reach our destination if we stop
halfway. Likewise, if despite our good fortune in meeting and embarking
on the unsurpassed way of Buddhism, we stop halfway, all the efforts we
have made thus far will have been in vain; we will not be able to
attain Buddhahood.

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
“Strength is Happiness. Strength is itself victory. In weakness and cowardice there is no happiness. When you wage a struggle, you might win or you might lose. But regardless of the short-term outcome, the very fact of your continuing to struggle is proof of your victory as a human being.”

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"The gratification of desire is not happiness. If it were, as Socrates noted, a person who spends his life scratching an itch would have to be considered happy. Genuine happiness can only be achieved when we transform our way of life from the unthinking pursuit of pleasure to one committed to enriching our inner lives, when we focus on "being more" rather than simply having more."

- Daisaku Ikeda

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Everyone in Japan, from the sovereign on down to the common people, without exception has tried to do me harm, but I have survived until this day. You should realize that this is because, although I am alone, I have firm faith.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 614
The Supremacy of the Law

Written to Oto and her mother, Nichimyo, on August 4, 1275

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Just as flowers open up and bear fruit, just as the moon appears and invariably grows full, just as a lamp becomes brighter when oil is added, and just as plants and trees flourish with rain, so will human beings never fail to prosper when they make good causes."

(The Third Day of the New Year - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1013) Selection source: Living Buddhism, Seikyo Shimbun, August 10th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"But my life from the beginning has been based upon firm. I have no intention now of reversing my course, nor will I ever reproach [those who persecuted me]. Evil persons too will be good friends to me."

(Why No Protection from the Heavenly Gods? - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.2, page 432) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 11th, 2008

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Daishonin states,
"Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is like the roar of a lion. What
sickness can therefore be an obstacle?"*
By overcoming our cowardice,
the great state of our lives will definitely unfold.
Faith is all about summoning up the ultimate courage.

Daisaku ikeda

* "Reply to Kyo'o" - WND, Vol.1, page 412

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Everyone in Japan, from the sovereign on down to the common people,
without exception has tried to do me harm, but I have survived until
this day. You should realize that this is because, although I am alone,
I have firm faith.

(WND, 614)
The Supremacy of the Law
Written to Oto and her mother, Nichimyo, on August 4, 1275

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Success is not a matter of accumulating more of this or that; it is not
measured in quantity. It means changing the quality of your life.
Wealth, power, fame and knowledge alone cannot make you happy, no
matter how much of these you acquire. Nor can you take them with you
when you die. But by improving the quality of your life you will at
last approach true happiness."

"Worldly success and good circumstances based on luck can easily crumble. They are as transient as an illusion. But the state of Buddhahood, once attained, can never be destroyed, not for all eternity. We will enjoy an existence overflowing with good fortune and immense joy in lifetime after lifetime."

"The important thing is to take that first step. Bravely overcoming one small fear gives you the courage to take on the next.”

Quotes - Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The important thing is to overcome the sorrow that accompanies any type of separation, such as death or divorce. The vital thing is to continue advancing. Do not look back. Just forge on. There are many reasons why people bid farewell to one another. People have their own thoughts and situations. The deep scars within your heart may not heal quickly. Yet brace yourself so you can look forward. You should strive to move on, cutting through the clouds in your heart. As long as you advance, new hope will be born. The sun will rise. Only when you continue to advance can you encounter an even better, more wonderful you.

Daisaku Ikeda

E

EasyMyohoDisco

What are you going to do to make today the best day yet?

What are you going to do to make today the best day yet?

Friday, August 29, 2008

[As a youth] he received great wisdom from the living Bodhisattva Space Treasury. He prayed to the bodhisattva to become the wisest person in Japan. The bodhisattva must have taken pity on him, for he presented him with a great jewel as brilliant as the morning star, which Nichiren tucked away in his right sleeve. Thereafter, on perusing the entire body of sutras, he was able to discern in essence the relative worth of the eight schools as well as of all the scriptures.

The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 650
Letter to the Priests of Seicho-ji

Written to the priests of Seicho-ji temple on January 11, 1276

Myoho-renge-kyo! is the king of all sounds/utterances/words/phrases/combinations of words/peace inducing happiness and vibe revealing goodness we all universally have loaded with appreciation of this phrase leads one to fight for others and oneself!

5 hour toso going on this weekend, join me will yah! I'm doing it for us.

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! = Release your Courageous Conviction = Make it Happen

Status
Not open for further replies.