What's new

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The great power of our chanting daimoku permeates the entire universe!
Therefore, it is absolutely certain that
the protective forces of the universe will assist and protect us.
Let's all advance without any fear in our hearts!

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Kosenrufu

Kosenrufu

Wide propagation, or wide proclamation and propagation. A term from the Lotus Sutra that literally means to declare and spread widely. The "Medicine King" (twenty-third) chapter of the Lotus Sutra reads, "After I [Shakyamuni Buddha] have passed into extinction, in the last five-hundred-year period you must spread it abroad widely (kosen-rufu) throughout Jambudvipa and never allow it to be cut off." Nichiren (1222-1282), identifying himself as the votary of the Lotus Sutra, made it his lifelong mission to fulfill the above injunction of the Buddha, that is, kosen-rufu. He saw widely propagating his teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which he identified as the essence of the sutra, as the fulfillment of that mission. Nichiren wrote in his Selection of the Time, "Can there be any doubt that, after this period described in the Great Collection Sutra when 'the pure Law will become obscured and lost,' the great pure Law of the Lotus Sutra will be spread far and wide (kosen-rufu) throughout Japan and all the other countries of Jambudvipa?" (550). In The True Aspect of All Phe-nomena, he also wrote, "At the time when the Law has spread far and wide (kosen-rufu), the entire Japanese nation will chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, as surely as an arrow aimed at the earth cannot miss the tar-get" (385).In On Practicing the Buddha's Teachings, he wrote: "The time will come when all people will abandon the various kinds of vehicles and take up the single vehicle of Buddhahood, and the Mystic Law alone will flour-ish throughout the land. When the people all chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the wind will no longer buffet the branches, and the rain will no longer break the clods of soil. The world will become as it was in the ages of Fu Hsi and Shen Nung" (392). He meant that the spread of the Mystic Law would bring about peace in society and nature.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Life is best lived by being bold and daring. People tend to grow meek when they taste failure, face a daunting challenge or fall ill. Yet that is precisely the time to become even bolder. Those who are victors at heart are the greatest of all champions.

Daisaku Ikeda

Bonzo

Veteran
SoCal Hippy said:
"Life is best lived by being bold and daring. People tend to grow meek when they taste failure, face a daunting challenge or fall ill. Yet that is precisely the time to become even bolder. Those who are victors at heart are the greatest of all champions.

Daisaku Ikeda

Thank you SoCal i needed that one, as i do most of them sight now on my life lots and lots of turmoil and i have to be the one to grab the bull by the horns and just work it out even though it involves my step grandfather and mother,
Remember yesterday i said iws going to try i hour every mirning , well i got 1/2 hour in and it ghanged my morning and possibly everyone in this househilds life.

its unreal ill tell ya some details later , im late for a meeting

peace

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

E

EasyMyohoDisco

My Happiness is HERE AND NOW!

My Happiness is HERE AND NOW!

Reading and Participating in this thread then joining the SGI for kosen-rufu, helped me find my happiness.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All disciples and lay supporters of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the spirit of many in body but one in mind, transcending all differences among themselves to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim. This spiritual bond is the basis for the universal transmission of the ultimate Law of life and death. Herein lies the true goal of Nichiren's propagation. When you are so united, even the great desire for widespread propagation can be fulfilled.

[ The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life, WND Page 217 ]

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SGI President Ikeda's Daily Encouragement for February 15

Life is full of unexpected suffering. Even so, as Eleanor Roosevelt says: "If you can live through that [a difficult situation] you can live through anything. You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along./' That's exactly right. Struggling against great difficulty enables us to develop ourselves tremendously. We can call forth and manifest those abilities lying dormant within us. Difficulty can be a source of dynamic new growth and positive progress.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Our present tribulations are like moxibustion; at the time, it is painful, but because it has beneficial after-effects, the pain is not really pain."

(On Persecutions Befalling the Sage - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 998) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, February 5th, 2007

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
According to the Buddhist teachings, prior to Shakyamuni slanderous monks would have incurred the death penalty. But since the time of Shakyamuni, the One Who Can Endure, the giving of alms to slanderous monks is forbidden in the sutra teachings.

[ On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land, WND Page 23 ]

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ill be at the San Fran SGI center on sunday chanting in front of the big Gohonzon for you all :) Off for a little R&R for the mrs birthday:) Much love to you ALL !!!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Happy Birthday Nichiren Daishonin and Happy Birthday Mrs. BABBA!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

:wave: Miss you!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

SGI President Ikeda's Daily Encouragement for February 16

I hope you will always live in unity with Nichiren Daishonin pursuing faith as disciples who are "of the same mind as Nichiren." Unfazed by the petty jealousies of others, please move forward boldly with joy and laughter.

A Quote from Nichiren Daishonin's Gosho - "Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life"

"All in all, the disciples and believers of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in perfect unity (itai doshin), transcending all differences among themselves to become as indivisible as fish and the water in which they swim. This spiritual bond is the basis for the universal transmission of the ultimate law of life and death."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bodhisattva Superior Practices received the water of wisdom of the Mystic Law from the Thus Come One Shakyamuni and causes it to flow into the wasteland of the people's lives in the evil world of the latter age. This is the function of wisdom. Shakyamuni Buddha transferred this teaching to Bodhisattva Superior Practices, and now Nichiren propagates it in Japan.

[ The Essentials for Attaining Buddbahood, WND Page 746 ]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And Happy New Year Everyone!!!

And Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Year of the PIG!

I bow in obeisance to all!

Deep Respect,

Thomas :wave:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"During the Former and Middle Days of the Law, the five impurities began to appear, and in the Latter Day, they are rampant. They give rise to the great waves of a gale, which not only beat against the shore, but strike each other. The impurity of thought has been such that, as the Former and
Middle Days of the Law gradually passed, people transmitted insignificant erroneous teachings while destroying the unfathomable correct teaching. It therefore appears that more people have fallen into the evil paths because of errors with respect to Buddhism than because of secular misdeeds."

(Gosho:Encouragement to a Sick Person, WND p. 78)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grass without roots will die in no time and a river without a source will not flow far. A child without parents is looked down upon. Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the heart of the "Life Span" chapter, is the mother of all Buddhas throughout the ten directions and the three existences of past, present and future.

[ The Essence of the "Life Span" Chapter, WND Page 184 ]

Bonzo

Veteran
hello my friends!!! How are you all!

I have a question that is kinda that is kinda personal not to me but to all of you or maybe its not maybe theres one right way and thats it or maybe you all have your own way of answering this particular Quertion:

When asked "what does Nam myoho renge kyo mean" how or what do ya'll say to that?and i done mean being asked by a 3 year old or something , just an average person who is curious.

peace and much love

bonz

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally, I always express it as "Return or Devotion of Oneself to the Mystic Law of Cause and Effect through the Teachings of the Buddha." In my mind I always understand I am saying, "Return or Devotion of Oneself to the Mystic Law of Cause and Effect through the Teachings of the Buddha of Beginningless Time." I then break it down as:

"Nam"--To Return to, or Devote Oneself to

"Myo"--Mystic; or that which is beyond the capacity to perceive

"Ho"--Law; or unchanging principle

"Renge"--Lotus Flower; symbolic of the simultaneity of the Law of Cause and Effect which we believe governs all things

"Kyo"--Sutra; or the teachings of a Buddha

That is just my way of expressing it! I hope that helped. Is this what you were asking Bonz?

However one expresses its meaning, the explaination should be from one's heart. I'm sure yours is. You will not find a word for word "correct meaning" since as with all things not English in their origin, translation provides for a lot of nuances in the way it is interpreted.

T

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.