What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
PassTheDoobie said:
Please post as often as you can--both of you!!! You two are missed here when we don't get to hear from you!

Thomas

1st time in since my last post of weeks ago. working 7days now for some time but its going to change soon. Love what I have been reading so far and have many more pages to read to catch up.

What an awesome thread!!! with such awesome people! Loving you all and chanting for everyone always. Keep the faith. Nam myoho renge kyo!!!

G

SoCal Hippy said:
1st time in since my last post of weeks ago. working 7days now for some time but its going to change soon. Love what I have been reading so far and have many more pages to read to catch up.

What an awesome thread!!! with such awesome people! Loving you all and chanting for everyone always. Keep the faith. Nam myoho renge kyo!!!

great encouragement Socal, coming from you it means a heck of alot! Thanks and glad your around! Yet another prayer answered!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Man, are we flowing here or what?

I have to say hi to "Delta" for striking a chord with many acknowledgements from our group. It hit me instantly, "Delta's quote", and I realized my chanting is 'faith' in directing proper and right actions so I can have a 'good day'.

Last week, it struck me that chanting is having faith, that good things will happen if I 'care' enough.............I do really care.....everything else is an excuse.........like depression, or being bummed that "things aren't going my way.".......you know?

Bonzo, you've been a blast bro! Man what killer posts! Your meeting, hala fucking luya!

Blatant, wow, so good to hear the truth!..........chanting works!

SoCal, thanks for checking in!

GanjaLord.............more wisdom!!.......this place is homing in big time!

PTD, you are as constant as life............you are my constant friend!

Easy, you are a well of inspiration!

Oh, I chanted personally for everyone today, saying your name first, except for the recent one's that are new to me today...........I chant now for you!........three times
each, at least........lol

Love you chanting growers!............Babba's tomatoes are ripe!.........and red red.....lol

scegy

hey my brothers, i've been busy with my life again, i'm still searching a place to live so it takes me a lot of my precious time:) i'm reading you every day i get up as usual but my head is full of other things so i'm just saying "I AM Nam Myoho Renge Kyo" for all of us ;)
here's a little something that i baked today, have a piece fellas :D

edit for bonzo:
man, remember me going to the meeting?i was dissapointed at first and confused, but as soon as i saw my dissapointment i knew what was wrong in the picture, and it wasn't them who invited me in their home :)

Last edited:
G

Yum Thanks Scegy, I was very hungary today too! It a few more hours time for a nap! Delicious!

Thanks Desi and you yourself are proof that the Mystic Law is an Ongoing Function in ever aspect of our lives, you last message embodies the 3000 realms in a single moment of life! Very nicely put!

Reverend Chris

Tranquility

Tranquility

I recently spent the day chanting

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

while speeding around the lake and

had a vision or three and an epiphany of sorts... and I cannot stop thinking about the words:

the poor long for riches
the rich long for heaven
but the wise desire tranquility

And I don't know where they came from... but they were written in the lake.

With peace and respect for the whole group,
~Chris

G

Reverend Chris said:
I recently spent the day chanting

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

while speeding around the lake and

had a vision or three and an epiphany of sorts... and I cannot stop thinking about the words:

the poor long for riches
the rich long for heaven
but the wise desire tranquility

And I don't know where they came from... but they were written in the lake.

With peace and respect for the whole group,
~Chris

I'll have three of what your having or had..... :woohoo: The Gohonzon 'speaks' to us in so many ways chris, I think its time you chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo before the Gohonzon and realized the 'meaning behind your words'. The environment reflects our LifeCondition and your vision on the lake should carry you to the nearest Gohonzon in the area! Chanting Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is known as the Daimoku, go chant your earnest Daimoku to the Gohonzon and speak with The Buddha of Beginningless Time face to face....

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SoCal my brother :) wooohoo
I bow in obeisance to you brother SoCal. So great to see you post up and awesome to hear things are going well. Hope to see more of you soon !!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How bout our brother Avid Learner?? .... about time he dropped in here and said hello. Thinking of you Avid hope all is going well!!
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!

fallenangel

PassTheDoobie said:
But for those that may be just be joining us, that takes the concerted effort of chanting every day. It would seem such a simple thing to do, but it isn't. Fallenangel says (as we all have), " i do love the way it makes me feel ." But he prefaced it with (as we all have) " i havent been chanting latley but i think ill try to do a little more tommorow ."

Why is that? Why--when something makes us feel so good, and it's free, and we can do it while we do anything else--DON'T we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo more often? Are there any good answers? Hmmm, it just seems every time we think to do it, it's the wrong time. Could that really be the case?

The Devil of the Sixth Heaven (one's own fundamental darkness) is so insidious!
wow .. that hit home . .ones own fundamental darkness is called the devil of the sixth heaven .. excuse me if these sounds like a stupid questions , what would be the suggested route to take if one was stuck in that kind of pattern ? also explain to me what ones own fundimental darkness means ?for some reason i feel like i might not be getting all of that.

G

fallenangel said:
wow .. that hit home . .ones own fundamental darkness is called the devil of the sixth heaven .. excuse me if these sounds like a stupid questions , what would be the suggested route to take if one was stuck in that kind of pattern ? also explain to me what ones own fundimental darkness means ?for some reason i feel like i might not be getting all of that.

chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism: fundamental darkness

fundamental darkness
[元品の無明] (Jpn.: gampon-no-mumyo)

Also, fundamental ignorance or primal ignorance. The most deeply rooted illusion inherent in life, said to give rise to all other illusions. Darkness in this sense means inability to see or recognize the truth, particularly, the true nature of one's life. The term fundamental darkness is contrasted with the fundamental nature of enlightenment, which is the Buddha nature inherent in life. According to the Shrimala Sutra, fundamental darkness is the most difficult illusion to surmount and can be eradicated only by the wisdom of the Buddha. T'ien-t'ai (538-597) interprets darkness as illusion that prevents one from realizing the truth of the Middle Way, and divides such illusion into forty-two types, the last of which is fundamental darkness. This illusion is only extirpated when one attains the stage of perfect enlightenment, the last of the fifty-two stages of bodhisattva practice. Nichiren (1222-1282) interprets fundamental darkness as ignorance of the ultimate Law, or ignorance of the fact that one's life is essentially a manifestation of that Law, which he identifies as Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. In The Treatment of Illness, Nichiren states: "The heart of the Lotus school is the doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life, which reveals that both good and evil are inherent even in those at the highest stage of perfect enlightenment. The fundamental nature of enlightenment manifests itself as Brahma and Shakra, whereas the fundamental darkness manifests itself as the devil king of the sixth heaven" (1113). Nichiren thus regards fundamental darkness as latent even in the enlightened life of the Buddha, and the devil king of the sixth heaven as a manifestation or personification of life's fundamental darkness. The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings reads, "Belief is a sharp sword that cuts off fundamental darkness or ignorance."

From source: The Soka Gakkai Dictionary of Buddhism

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Normally I would not come into this thread, but I have repeatedly been asked to tonight, and so here I am. Plato categorised the 4 levels of what we believe to be knowledge. The lowest of the 4 being belief, the next lowest being perception, the second to highest form of knowledge is mathematics and the highest level of knowledge is the knowledge of the forms which all come from the original form of the good. Mankind has always regarded Plato as being of value, as have I. I in no way wish to tell anyone else what to believe in, however I would rather people understood the difference between beliefs and knowledge. I cannot ever accept that the way to wipe away ignorance is to gain blind faith. Easydisco, here I am, if you wish to examine my views you may do so here or in my own thread, as I said I do not believe this thread is the correct place for me, but as with all beliefs accept that that may be wrong.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

We believe that the environment reflects the collective karma of those who inhabit it. We have come to accept a view, based on personal experience, that there is a means for individuals to change their Karma, and bring out their Buddha Nature. That is why we chant.

The belief is that the more people that chant, the more the environment of all living things is influenced as an effect of that cause. We are all devoted to achieve happiness in our daily lives and to hopefully express to society through our efforts, a reason to be curious about this NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO, and try it for themselves.

We believe at a point in time in the future, through the efforts of really nothing more than our daily practice, we can influence the numbers of people it will require to "Pacify the land, through the propagation of the law." Kosen Rufu. I.E.: If enough people chant, the ozone layer will heal, the droughts and floods will stop, the earth will become benign to it's inhabitants and people throughout the world will respect the sanctity of life, based on respect for the Buddha Nature in all things. (this is taken from a post by PTD on page 1)

Last edited:

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
GMT .... I think what your getting at is a good point but....blind faith is not what it is to have faith ....

I think ?

plato ... dosent make sense to me ... if the 3rd level is mathematics .... is that better than perception ... if so what does that mean ?

... I always enjoy talking to you, we have similar humours and experineces i feel and dont mean to undermine what you think at all ....

but I think questions as to a bigger belief is maybe why easy pointed you here ...
I believe ... and have knowledge.... that man will never understand life .... let alone plato ... : )
Because life is not static nor constant

I have experiences that lead me to belive that there probably isnt a greater force out there controlling us all

It's not that I feel like I know either .... and religions as a whole dont agree with me .... but people I can relate to

Im just here to share my experiences

but whatever your opinion your entitled to it ....

As always G to the M to the T
Peace

Oh yeah and if Im not making much sense it's because I havent smoked in 2 weeks (a long time for me)

Delta9-THC

Veteran
by the way .... everyone on this thread knows I would never not try to accept their practices and beliefs ...

Especially you PTD ... I have much respect for your efforts and beliefs ... I know you never give up hope

and feel your care and a compassion from you which dosent exist in many

I have seen many FAITHS
some of which even their most Loyal Practitioners couldnt explain well enough to convince themselves let alone others !!

... and this is not hurting anyone .... just trying to heal themselves and maybe a few others .... now thats not bad at all is it?

NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO

Peace

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi Babba, I have a great respect for you, but I'm afraid not for your beliefs, and I have no problem with you disagreeing with mine. You have always treated me with respect and I hope you feel I have treated you in the same way, however our belief systems are so different that we cannot reconcile them at any point. Therefore I will not insult you by trying to explain how I feel about your post above, but hope that that will not be a barrier to our future communication as those who treat others in the way that you do are good people in my book, no matter how wacky their personal beliefs are. (Very tongue in cheek and hope you dont take offence).

Hey Hey Delta 9, always a pleasure mate. Yes mathematics is a higher level of knowledge than perception. We know that 1+1=2 as that is the law of mathematics, however when we percieve a magician sawing a woman in half, we know our perception is telling us that something is happening that our intellect knows isn't. In the same way we must always mistrust what we perceive to be true as our perceptions can decieve us. No worries Delta, I'm always up for a theological discussion, having considered joining the church at one point, studying philosophy, and then other religions, I have come to the conclusion that the existence of God is irrelevant, whether he exists or not does not affect my life one way or the other. To take an action for the hope of reward is a selfish action whether hoping to be rewarded by an individual or a god. And selfish people are not to be rewarded in my book. I choose to be as good a person as I can be, not in the hope of reward, but because I want to be the best person I can be. Easy pointed me here due to my posts on the resources thread in the submissions forum, give it a read.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heya GMT great to see you stop in. As you respect me so I respect you. Wow you may be more buddhist then you think... the way of the buddhist is to respect all things and I for sure can see you do! I think the only part that your missing is the faith part :) Faith in the "mystic law" faith in what cannot always be explained with words. Thats the only difference I see... Thanks for stopping by brother I hope you will see your way to stop in and again and maybe discuss some more :) Im so in awe of the spark that we call life how could I not have faith in the mystic law.
Hope to see you soon friend :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Delta9-THC

Veteran
GMT said:
Hey Hey Delta 9, always a pleasure mate. Yes mathematics is a higher level of knowledge than perception. We know that 1+1=2 as that is the law of mathematics, however when we percieve a magician sawing a woman in half, we know our perception is telling us that something is happening that our intellect knows isn't. In the same way we must always mistrust what we perceive to be true as our perceptions can decieve us. No worries Delta, I'm always up for a theological discussion, having considered joining the church at one point, studying philosophy, and then other religions, I have come to the conclusion that the existence of God is irrelevant, whether he exists or not does not affect my life one way or the other. To take an action for the hope of reward is a selfish action whether hoping to be rewarded by an individual or a god. And selfish people are not to be rewarded in my book. I choose to be as good a person as I can be, not in the hope of reward, but because I want to be the best person I can be. Easy pointed me here due to my posts on the resources thread in the submissions forum, give it a read.

pleasures all mine ... and yes theology is a huge topic ...

I do see that mathematics has a definate answer whereas perception is always different from person to person ....

I dont do anything for selfish purpose it can lead to a load of trouble... and agree that being the best you can is the best way to be ....

but to dismiss others perceptions is just as selfish because in reality we would only hope to gain that ours is better than theirs ... (and no Im not talking about anyone in particular to make that clear )

I have no problems with religion .... just churches tend to misguide their followers ... and in the end its the people in the churches who distort the teaching ...

Very nice to have this discussion with ya!

hope your well ... speak soon in chat

Peace

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Thanks Babba much apreciated. Delta, I promise you that I try to be even more dismissive of my own perceptions than I am of others, as I'm always concerned I may have missed something when discussing other's perceptions. I've been in chat all night, where are ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.