What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzo

Veteran
Hello my friends! how are you all? from what i've just read ,sounds like everyone is doin' GREAT!!

I made it to work today and had a killer day!! I could'nt have done it without all your support and this thread, and alot of chanting!!!! We cut of at 4, and on the way home i stopped at the SGI Freindship Center and chanted in front of the Gohonzon with about 10 other people for about an hour, i left there smiling from ear to ear.

Kinda wierd but very cool is that my line of sight becomes fixated on the Gohonzon, i have think about blinking or my dang eyes would dry out!! But time just flies by when im there chanting. Faith seemed to be my main focus while chanting.

Good goin' Tree, keep acin' em bro! NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO!!!

Hi T! I hear and feel the ROAR louder that ever, its kinda trippy but i dig it, i dont know how to explain it but my life, my attitude and my state of mind seem to be changing from the inside out, it feels GREAT!! Cause i have allways been my own worst enemy, NO MORE!!

Howdy easy! Im glad you got some herb! Seedy or not, it worked eh? Sounds like no seeds tomorrow!!

Nice to meet you 2the left! Sounds like you had yourself rip ROARIN' good time!!! Hope to see you more often!!

wow, thats all i can say is wow!!

peace

bonz

>>>nam myoho renge kyo>>>!!!!!!!!!

Bonzo

Veteran
Hiya HIT! You musta slipped in there on me while i was typing. Could'nt agree with you more bro!

bonz

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Wow Always way to go you have hooked it up big time. Ive heard such great things about the Florida Cultural Center and all the events that happen there. Way to take the big step and get involved Always:) Sounds like its time to ask someone at the meeting when you can get your Gohonzon. Youll be surprised how quickly you can obtain your Gohonzon once you decide to really let them know thats why you are there. They sort of get a laugh now about telling the story of when I showed up and the FIRST thing I said when introduced was "How do I recieve my Gohonzon"? I had been chanting for awhile by then and knew.... to carry my practice further I really needed to recieve my Gohonzon. So pretty much every chance I got I would ask how soon I could recieve my Gohonzon. Good luck to you all .... congrats to all that have made it to thier first meetings you have just met some ppl who will always treat you as family and always be encouraging.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

PS
I recieved my Gohonzon Ocotober 12, 2005. A much anticipated day for sure. Also for those of you that arent aware October 12th is the Anniversary of the inscribing of the Gohonzon. Much love to you all. Thanks to all the Bodhisattvas that frequent this mystical thread.:)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!

scegy

bonzo: we can do it all, togheter :D i wish you many many many many many days like this one, keep it real and come out of there!;)

scegy

you know what guys, chanting with goa trance really makes good vibes :) wooohooo
btw guys, i don't seem to find the page where doobie pasted the chanting lyrics, anyone knows where it is ?
i found em, man this is hard to learn, i guess i'll be going to the chanters again to learn from them a lil bit easier, lazybones :D

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This Gohonzon is the essence of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all the scriptures. It is like the sun and moon in the heavens, a great ruler on earth, the heart in a human being, the wish-granting jewel among treasures and the pillar of a house. When we have this mandala with us, it is a rule that all Buddhas and gods will gather round and watch over us, protecting us like a shadow day and night, just as warriors guard their ruler, as parents love their children, as fish rely on water, as trees and plants crave rain, or as birds depend on trees.

[ On Upholding Faith in the Gohonzon, WND Page 624 ]

Hitman

Good morning comrades!

Bubba- No wonder why I like October so much and always feel that good things happen to me during this month. I've always been hired in October as I look back like I was feeling invincible at the time. Funny story about you wanting your Gohonzon so bad! You're very encouraging!

Doob- I love the part where it says all the people cried on their ink stones when heard and saw the Gohonzon.

Bonzo- I'll never forget the first time I opened the Daimoku book, the tears just started flowing out of my eyes. I felt like I had been hooked up or connected to a great force! No joke. I hear when people saw the DaiGohonzon, the big one on Mount Fuji, people would weep tears of joy as they chanted. Pretty awesome!

Scegy, that's great! See if you can get the booklet with the giant letters in it. It is very easy to see and learn. You'll have it memorized in no time. I like to say it nice and clear. In the front it tells you how to pronounce the words and sounds. Like "A" as in father. It's bigger than the little booklets. Good on the eyes. T-Doob will know where to get one I bet.

Hey Doob, I want to know where my closest Gohonzon is in me neighborhood and I'm determined to find it thanks to you!

Easy- keep grinding

2Left- You're the man. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Forgive me for any names I forgot, I love you all fellow chanters!

I want to be a teacher who shakabukus all his students!

Hit

G

Bonzo said:
Hello my friends! how are you all? from what i've just read ,sounds like everyone is doin' GREAT!!

I made it to work today and had a killer day!! I could'nt have done it without all your support and this thread, and alot of chanting!!!! We cut of at 4, and on the way home i stopped at the SGI Freindship Center and chanted in front of the Gohonzon with about 10 other people for about an hour, i left there smiling from ear to ear.

Kinda wierd but very cool is that my line of sight becomes fixated on the Gohonzon, i have think about blinking or my dang eyes would dry out!! But time just flies by when im there chanting. Faith seemed to be my main focus while chanting.

Good goin' Tree, keep acin' em bro! NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO!!!

Hi T! I hear and feel the ROAR louder that ever, its kinda trippy but i dig it, i dont know how to explain it but my life, my attitude and my state of mind seem to be changing from the inside out, it feels GREAT!! Cause i have allways been my own worst enemy, NO MORE!!

Howdy easy! Im glad you got some herb! Seedy or not, it worked eh? Sounds like no seeds tomorrow!!

Nice to meet you 2the left! Sounds like you had yourself rip ROARIN' good time!!! Hope to see you more often!!

wow, thats all i can say is wow!!

peace

bonz

>>>nam myoho renge kyo>>>!!!!!!!!!

Ohh bonz in under two weeks! Ohh BONZO CONGRATS! I am so very pleased. That is faith manifesting in action my friend. VERY WELL DONE! I am so pleased this will certainly be a great day! Thank you for once again proving the power of the law to me buddy, you fucking really made me happy with that post brother, i know where its coming from and also have that same gratitude. :woohoo:

ALWAYS YOU sound like a very long time member and I am sure you have been chanting to the Gohonzon for quite some time ;) Thank you for the fantastic expirience and wow another Bodhisattva on his way now reunited with Nichiren Daishonin. When you receive Gohonzon we will congratulate you again dear brother, same goes for Bonzo and Mr. Scegy and Treehugger and Delta and everyone else!

Much love to Babba SOCAL and T for further facilitating more shakubuku! Kosen-rufu is gaining incredible momentum via the chanting growers!

I am so lucky to be born during this time and share this with you all! Congrats my friends and comrades.

:wave:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Always! Have fun at your meeting tonight and have fun at your meeting tomorrow. No matter what, do what you're supposed to do! We'll all be waiting to hear from you the next time!

Thomas

Hit, I hope that helped. DG, Delta, and TH ought be checking their local SGI website to find the Gohonzon nearest them. It could be only a block away! You never know unless you ask!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Scegy, those were phemominal posts. Thank you and continue!

Bonz! Congratulations on your great day!!! Seems like everyone is having them right now.

What say we all have another one!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Embankments of Faith / WND pg. 625

The Embankments of Faith / WND pg. 625

In your letter you asked how the retribution varies according to the degree of slander against the correct teaching. To begin with, the Lotus Sutra was taught to lead all living beings to the Buddha way. Only those who have faith in it, however, attain Buddhahood. Those who slander it fall into the great citadel of the hell of incessant suffering. As the sutra states, "If a person fails to have faith but instead slanders this sutra, immediately he will destroy all the seeds for becoming a Buddha in this world. . . . When his life comes to an end he will enter the Avichi hell."(1)

There are many degrees of slander: shallow and profound, slight and heavy. Even among those who embrace the Lotus Sutra, very few uphold it steadfastly both in mind and in deed. Few are the practitioners who are able to uphold this sutra. But those who do will not suffer serious retribution even if they have committed minor offenses against the sutra. Their strong faith expiates their offenses as surely as a flood extinguishes tiny fires.

The Nirvana Sutra states: "If even a good monk sees someone destroying the teaching and disregards him, failing to reproach him, to oust him, or to punish him for his offense, then you should realize that that monk is betraying the Buddha's teaching. But if he ousts the destroyer of the Law, reproaches him, or punishes him, then he is my disciple and a true voice-hearer."

This admonition urged me on, and I spoke out against slander in spite of the various persecutions I faced, because I would have become an enemy of the Buddha's teaching if I had not.

Slander can be either minor or serious, however, and sometimes we should overlook it rather than attack it. The True Word and Tendai schools slander the Lotus Sutra and should be severely rebuked. But without great wisdom it is hard to differentiate correctly between their doctrines and the teachings that Nichiren spreads. Therefore, at times we refrain from attacking them, just as I did in On Establishing the Correct Teaching for the Peace of the Land.(2)

Whether or not we speak out, it will be difficult for those who have committed the grave offense of slander to avoid retribution. Our seeing, hearing, and making no attempt to stop slander that, if we spoke out, could be avoided, destroys our gifts of sight and hearing, and is utterly merciless.

Chang-an writes, "If one befriends another person but lacks the mercy to correct him, one is in fact his enemy."(3) The consequences of a grave offense are extremely difficult to erase. The most important thing is to continually strengthen our wish to benefit others.

When a person's offense is minor, admonishment is sometimes called for, but at other times it may be unnecessary, for there are those who may correct themselves without being told. Reprove a person for slander when necessary, so that you can forestall for both of you the consequences of an offense. Then, you should forgive that person. The point is that even minor slanders may lead to serious ones, and then the effects one must suffer would be far worse. This is [what Chang-an means when he writes], "One who rids the offender of evil is acting as his parent."(4)

Many such examples of slander are also found among Nichiren's disciples and lay believers. I am sure that you have heard about the lay priest Ichino-sawa. Privately he is considered one of Nichiren's followers, but publicly he still remains in the Nembutsu school. What should be done about his next life? Nevertheless, I have presented him with the ten volumes of the Lotus Sutra.(5)

Strengthen your faith now more than ever. Anyone who teaches the principles of Buddhism to others is bound to incur hatred from men and women, priests and nuns. Let them say what they will. Entrust yourself to the golden teachings of the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha, T'ien-t'ai, Miao-lo, Dengyo, and Chang-an. This is what is signified by the expression, "practicing according to the Buddha's teachings." The Lotus Sutra reads, "If in that fearful age one can preach this sutra for even a moment, [one will deserve to receive alms from all heavenly and human beings](6)." This passage explains that in the evil age of the Latter Day of the Law, when evil persons stained by the three poisons prevail, anyone who believes in and upholds the correct teaching, for even a short time, will receive offerings from heavenly and human beings.

Now you should make a great vow and pray for your next life. If you are disbelieving or slander the correct teaching even in the slightest, you will certainly fall into the great citadel of the hell of incessant suffering. Suppose there is a ship that sails on the open sea. Though the ship is stoutly built, if it is flooded by a leak, those on the ship are sure to drown together. Though the embankment between rice fields is firm, if there is an ant hole in it, then surely, in the long run, it will not remain full of water. Bail the seawater of slander and disbelief out of the ship of your life, and solidify the embankments of your faith. If a believer's offense is slight, overlook it, and lead that person to obtain benefits. If it is serious, encourage him to strengthen his faith so that he can expiate the sin.

You are indeed an unusual woman since you asked me to explain the effects of various degrees of slander. You are every bit as praiseworthy as the dragon king's daughter when she said, "I unfold the doctrines of the great vehicle to rescue living beings from suffering.”(7) The Lotus Sutra reads, "If one can ask about its meaning, that will be difficult indeed!"(8) There are very few people who inquire about the meaning of the Lotus Sutra. Always be determined to denounce slander against the correct teaching to the best of your ability. It is indeed wonderful that you should be helping me reveal my teachings.

Respectfully,

Nichiren

The third day of the ninth month

Reply to the lay nun and wife of Abutsu-bo

Background:

This letter is dated the third day of the ninth month, with no year indicated, though it is believed to be 1275, a year and a half after the Daishonin's return from exile on Sado Island. It is addressed to the lay nun Sennichi, the wife of Abutsu-bo.

The letter is a reply to a question the lay nun has asked about the effects of different degrees of slander against the correct teaching. The Daishonin says, "If a believer's offense is slight, over-look it, and lead that person to obtain benefits. If it is serious, encourage him to strengthen his faith so that he can expiate the sin." But attention should be paid to his warning, "Even minor slanders may lead to serious ones, and then the effects one must suffer would be far worse." The Daishonin praises the lay nun Sennichi for asking a question about slandering the correct teaching.

Notes:

1. Lotus Sutra, chap. 3.
2. This work attacks chiefly the doctrines of the Pure Land school.
3. The Annotations on the Nirvana Sutra.
4. Ibid.
5. The ten volumes of the Lotus Sutra consist of the eight volumes of the Lotus Sutra proper and two related sutras, the Immeasurable Meanings Sutra and the Universal Worthy Sutra. Ichinosawa (d. 1278) was a lay priest of the Pure Land school. In the fourth month of 1272, while still in exile on Sado, the Daishonin was transferred from Tsukahara to the relative comfort of Ichinosawa's estate. In another letter, written to the wife of the lay priest Ichinosawa, the Daishonin expresses misgivings at entrusting a person such as Ichinosawa, whose commitment to faith is unclear, with a copy of the Lotus Sutra, but says that he feels bound to do so by an earlier promise.
6. Lotus Sutra, chap. 11.
7. Ibid., chap. 12.
8. Ibid., chap. 11.

Hitman

Chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and raise your life condition and attract your fortune like metal filings to a magnet.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'Single-mindedly desiring to see the Buddha' may be read as follows: single-mindedly observing the Buddha, concentrating one's mind on seeing the Buddha, and when looking at one's own mind, perceiving that it is the Buddha."

(Letter to Gijo-bo - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 389) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, August 25th, 2006

G

this thread is the pinnacle of buddhist guidance and encouragement after the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, many of which can be found on this thread.

I am preparing a writeup on faith and todays post was very helpful to say the least, I am pleased that I can reference posts and apply them/ incorporate them into my life as I please. I read today over 65 pages of passthedoobies posts on this site and have seen so much emotion and love poured into this thread, I am happy to proclaim that I admire PTD not only as my friend but as a special mentor in my life that has facilitated on numerous occassions of Myoho Occurrances that are beyond words, The GOHONZON speaks to all of us thru others thru results thru everything! Be aware be preceptive be ready because at any moment your faith you'll sail you across the sea of delusion into deeper and wiser depths of exsistence.

Shit, I used to read this thread in my underwear unemployed smoking joints picking my nose, now I dress nicely, smell nicely, work everyday, feel nicely (usually), and present the Lotus Sutra and my master Nichiren Daishonin's guidance with love and compassion for all everyway I can.

This thread is my "district" and my home but we all know we have to go out into the world and engage others since this practice is not a solitary practice! Beware of being an isolationist since that is a pitfall of the internet, but then again aren't we all ocean people in here? Its happening as we speak, Empowerment to the People via wise and loving guidance!

Its an honor to share that with each of you. Very much so!

NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO!

Last edited:
easy im actualy not a long time member at all. its not even been a year yet, but these have been the best months of my life, hands down. you should see the faces i get when i tell people how i found out about buddhism, i cant lie to them... :canabis: hehe
but anyway i was gona post on satarday after i actualy recieved it.... but thanks to PTD's overwhelming enthusiasm everyone knows already :moon:
but.... i SHOULD be getting my gohonzon on satarday, they actualy are setting up a pretty big meeting just for me, i feel nervous as hell to be honost, i got no idea what to expect.
other then all that i had a awsome day, i finaly got up the courage to quit my job. 10-14 hour shifts in an unair-conditioned warehouse lifting 10-50lb boxes into EXTREMELY dusty trucks. i swear i choke up a black ball every morning.
peace and love to u all and ty for the nice words
always.
nammyohorengekyo!

p.s. scegy if ur talking about gongyo i havnt even scratched the surface, i got a website of a slow recite if u want it leme know

G

easydisco said:
Thank you my three mentors! Today was the first day I chanted in front of my butsudan with the gohonzon inside. It will be enshrined on wednesday night and I will host a small meeting in my abode! I am very very excited!

Yesterday was incredible at the meeting where I recieved my gohonzon there was about 20 others recieving their gohonzon and over 1500 people in a very large city auditorium! It was exceptional! The presentations, the speakers, and most importantly my first fast gongyo (super fast gongyo) was great! Then when I recieved my Gohonzon on the stage my district leader whom I just recently met a few minutes prior to the commencement of the ceremony greeted me at the bottom of the stage while I was holding my diploma into SGI and my Gohonzon in my right hand high in the air with a sincere feeling of triumph, and the district leader Augustine gave me a boquet of flowers! My friends I almost cried from the joy! The practice of Shakubuku on this site has propagated a new member a new Bodhisattva of the Earth! I did gongyo this morning at my own pace very happily chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo while meditating on the good in my life. I am very very happy to be among you all and even though we are not officially sanctioned by Sensei I honor and appreciate you all as my own "district", my brotherhood propagating Kosenrufu, my pillars of knowledge, my fellow Bodhisattva's of the earth!

I love you all as I love the world we live in! Together we are making a difference, initiating me into SGI has been a triumph! If you only knew what I went through to get HERE to this moment in my life in this thread on this forum! The victory is the faith in commencing my own Human REVOLUTION will lead to what I have been seeking most of my life, which is PEACE! Peace within myself, Peace within my enviroment, Peace for those around me and most IMPORTANTLY PEACE FOR ALL ON THE UNIVERSAL SCALE!

My sincere appreciation and gratitude for my daily nourishment on this thread and for all the incredible things that manifest in my life as a result!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

always this is my post after recieving Gohonzon, the day after to be percise, my Buddha Birthday is March 26,2006. Yes I am a very fresh member but at the next Kosen-rufu World Peace Gongyo I am supposed to be accepting some sort of Leader status since I have been diligently practicing and trying to reinvigorate my district although its been mostly an internal uphill battle.

Guys and Gals wanna know a secret, a few months ago I started chanting feverishly for certain things and guess what I got them and when I got them I didn't really want them 100% so I umm, tried to back off them or in other words "ease off". Be careful what you wish for is all I'm saying if you earnestly pray with faith, believe me its on the way.

I almost threw up and became very ill when I realized that what I chanted for at one point manifested since a part of me was still seeking earthly deluded desires. OHH man ohh man, PHEW! No skin off my back but it could've gotten very ugly if your following my drift. and no please do not expect me to be more specific because yes I can be bashful at times. Ohh my god I still get goosebumps realizing that shit I never would've believed could materialize was actually coming to fruition before my eyes, and I felt too "shy" once again to accept because the truth is I realize or at least I think that my "greater mission" will benefit with a little more sacrificing, but then again I might be getting deluded again. Ohh shit, I need to go chant then write my report for tomorrow and post it here. Let me get to that and post more later, but today was a doozy in a good way for sure, I got totally blind sided recently with these gifts from the Gohonzon.

ohh and my dealer came back, but him and his buddies are dry as the desert! lol, all i know is that maybe thats a good thing too. Gohonzon always provides even when we refuse to recognize it!

Ohh man ohhh man, this life is amazing!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is easy to sustain our concern for someone who is before our very eyes, but quite a different thing when that person is far away, even though in our heart we may not forget him. Nevertheless, in the five years. . . that have already passed since I came to live here in the mountains, you have sent your husband from the province of Sado to visit me three times. How great is your sincerity! It is firmer than the great earth, deeper than the great sea!

[ The Sutra of True Requital, WND Page 933 ]

G

PassTheDoobie said:
It is easy to sustain our concern for someone who is before our very eyes, but quite a different thing when that person is far away, even though in our heart we may not forget him. Nevertheless, in the five years. . . that have already passed since I came to live here in the mountains, you have sent your husband from the province of Sado to visit me three times. How great is your sincerity! It is firmer than the great earth, deeper than the great sea!

[ The Sutra of True Requital, WND Page 933 ]

I have been asking Gohonzon Buddha (Nichiren Daishonin) in my prayers to give me the strength I need to keep improving despite everything thru the causes I make so that in my next life I will have the Gohonzon much sooner and have a greater influence for the purpose of Kosen-rufu. Also I chant to rid myself of the bad karma I have accumulated impeding my progress in certain arenas of life. Its getting much clearer as I read and re-read and re-read this thread then reference the Goshos.

Its very likely although many of us on this thread never shared a meal in this current life, yet I am sure among us we have been growing to this point thru countless kalpas. I believe in the fact you all can make everything you need possible, as I know the Gohonzon provides everything.

Have faith, Arouse Deep Faith, Know that the struggles impeding us at any given moment are capable of great calamities which should equal to us, PROFOUND VICTORY! Strategize then Win!

Lead Winning Lives!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The American Renaissance thinker Henry David Thoreau (1817-62), whose writings I have read avidly since the days of my youth, wrote in his masterpiece Walden: "To him whose elastic and vigorous thought keeps pace with the sun, the day is a perpetual morning." This is even truer for those of us whose lives are dedicated to the Mystic Law. While causing the sun of time without beginning to constantly rise in our lives, we are able to forever enjoy a morning of hope imbued with the four virtues of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity. No dark despair can be found in such a life.

(Source: SGI Newsletter No. 6941. August 22, 2006. From SGI President Ikeda's Speech the Representative Leaders Conference Commemorating July 3-Part 1 [of 3]. The Mentor-Disciple Relationship Is the Source of Victory)

Status
Not open for further replies.