What's new

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
And from that initial exchange between strangers living a great distance and many states apart, which mystically began on 10-12, they fell in love and got married!

It is wonderful to have you both back. We hope to see you post again soon!

T

Wow! It is great to see SG and GordyP back here as I have been away for awhile, also.

Making steps to rekindle my faith. After meeting personally with PTB in July, the shit has hit the fan in my life. Timing is everything and the reasons for why things happen the way they do are sometimes confusing, even to a Buddha.

My prayers for all Chanting Growers absolute Happiness!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
T'ien-t'ai states, "By observing the fury of the rain, we can tell the greatness
of the dragon that caused it, and by observing the flourishing of the lotus
flowers, we ca tell the depth of the pond they grow in." Miao-lo says, "Wise men
can perceive the cause of things, as snakes know the way of snakes." When the
skies are clear, the ground is illuminated. Similarly, when one knows the Lotus
Sutra, one understands the meaning of all worldly affairs.

(WND, 376)
The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind Established in the Fifth
Five-Hundred-Year Period after the Thus Come One's Passing
Written to Toki Jonin on April 25, 1273

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Those who say "I'll do it," who are willing to take on a challenge even if they
are alone, are true winners. The determination, the commitment to take action
yourself, is the force that leads to victory. As Buddhism teaches in the
principle of a life-moment possesses three thousand realms, our mind or attitude
can change everything.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am being so attacked by Devils! That actually is encouraging to me because at my age and after all my years of faith, I understand that these obstacles are my good friends. This resistance is proof of my path. My life is flush with good fortune! I am the Buddha.

And so are you!

T

Chant about this coming Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is important in life is that
we make an unceasing effort to improve ourselves.
Setting detailed goals helps us to challenge ourselves
with a strong sense of purpose and enthusiasm.
Let's make each and every day a fresh new departure point in our growth.

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"My mentor, second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda, while imprisoned for his beliefs by the wartime Japanese militarist authorities, awakened to the fact that the Buddha is life itself and proclaimed his identity as a Bodhisattva of the Earth.

"In a defiled age when people’s lives were being trampled by the scourge of war, Mr. Toda embraced the supreme principles of respect for the dignity of life and human revolution. After the war, he called forth one Bodhisattva of the Earth after another from throughout the desolate and shattered land.

"He consistently encouraged those who were struggling with life’s harsh realities, telling them: 'We are Bodhisattvas of the Earth, who have intentionally chosen to be born as we are, suffering from many problems, to spread the Mystic Law. Once you fully recognise this, the day will surely come when you can declare from the bottom of your heart, "I have won!"'

"The Bodhisattvas of the Earth, whose lives are one with the Mystic Law, fear nothing. Transforming even the heaviest karma into mission and freely and joyfully carrying out their human revolution, they can impart limitless hope, courage, and confidence to those who are struggling or suffering."

SGI Newsletter No. No. 8826, Fulfilling Our Unique Mission in This World, from the September 2013 issue of the Daibyaku Renge, translated 16th Aug. 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"However, as for the matter of becoming a Buddha, ordinary people keep in mind the words 'earnest resolve' and thereby become Buddhas."

(The Gift of Rice - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1125) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, September 1st, 2013

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Life is a challenge of win or lose.
By applying new creative ideas,
making fresh new determinations,
and putting new thoughts into action,
let's open up the way to a victorious tomorrow!

Daisaku Ikeda

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Although I and my disciples may encounter various difficulties, if we do not harbour doubts in our hearts, we will as a matter of course attain Buddhahood."

(The Opening of the Eyes - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, page 283) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, September 2nd, 2013

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
How wondrous it is that, around two hundred years and more into the Latter Day
of the Law, I was the first to reveal as the banner of propagation of the Lotus
Sutra this great mandala that even those such Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu,
T'ien-t'ai and Miao-lo were unable to express. This mandala is in no way my
invention. It is the object of devotion that depicts Shakyamuni Buddha, the
World-Honored One, seated in the treasure tower of Many Treasures Buddha, and
the Buddhas who were Shakyamuni's emanations as perfectly as a print matches its
woodblock.

(WND, 831)
The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon
Written to Nichinyo on August 23, 1277

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
The Gohonzon is the essence of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all the
scriptures. It is like the sun and the moon in the heavens, a great ruler of
earth, the heart in a human being, the wish-granting jewel among treasures, and
the pillar of a house.

(WND, 624)
On Upholding Faith in the Gohonzon
Written to the lay nun Myoshin on August 25, 1275

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Advancement -- Nichiren Daishonin teaches the spirit that "not to advance is to
retreat." The point is to continue forging ahead despite any storms or hardships
that may arise, to be fearless and advance like a lion.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Life flashes by in an instant. By devoting our lives to Buddhism, we will live a
life of complete fulfillment. We are selling ourselves short if we fail to
attain such a wonderful state of life.

Daisaku Ikeda

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Sorry I haven't been around or made it out to see everyone! I'm also challenging obstacles, but the difference between my approach/reactions and PasstheDoobies is Minutes of Daimoku juxtaposed against Hours of Daimoku! Therefore, I gots alot of chanting to do!!! Lucky 7 years of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the Gohonzon in my home has been loaded with new changes, challenges, developments, dreams and results. Boy oh Boy do I rejoice when I read Nichiren telling Shijo (or me perhaps) CHILL OUT AND Don't ruin all your good fortune! I also grately and truly appreciate from the bottom of my heart the transcription of the salient points recently posted from the orally transmitted teachings. Every letter of Nichiren's translated writings is worth infinite duplication. Nichiren's writings are the keystone of my library and life philosophy.

MUGI WASSHIN MY FRIENDS!

CrazyDog

Veteran
Come, let's boldly take on the challenge of talking with others
and developing new friendships!
What is more important than anything else is to have compassion
and to boldly and resolutely chant for the happiness of our friends.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings (pg 237-238)

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings (pg 237-238)

All the Twenty-eight Chapters of the Lotus Sutra Are Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

23. Former Affairs of the Bodhisattva Medicine King

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: This chapter describes how the bodhisattva Medicine King will propagate the Lotus Sutra in the period after the Buddha has entered extinction. In the phrase “burning his body” and “burning his arms” used in the chapter, in effect, the word “burn” means to glow or shine. “Glow” here has the meaning of wisdom. Wisdom is able to burn away the body of earthly desires and the arms of the sufferings of birth and death.

The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai in his original state is the bodhisattva Medicine King, and when he appears as an expounder of the Law, he is Shakyamuni. And in his aspect as one who can do away with the grave ills of living beings, he is the bodhisattva Medicine King or the Thus Come One Medicine Master [the Buddha of healing].

Again, in his aspect as one who benefits others, he is Medicine King, while in his aspect as one who attains enlightenment, he is Medicine Master. When these figures Medicine King and Medicine Master appeared in the world, they were the Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai. As Medicine King he propagated the Lotus Sutra in the period after the Buddha’s extinction, and as Medicine Master he brought benefit to living beings for a period in the Middle Day of the Law. When the time was appropriate, they appeared in bodhisattva form, and in accordance with their names they showed their meaning. This is what the Buddha [Shakyamuni] expounded.

Bodhisattva Medicine King propagated the doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life in Great Concentration and Insight. And this doctrine of three thousand realms in a single moment of life is none other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

[five more to share...]

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry I haven't been around or made it out to see everyone! I'm also challenging obstacles, but the difference between my approach/reactions and PasstheDoobies is Minutes of Daimoku juxtaposed against Hours of Daimoku! Therefore, I gots alot of chanting to do!!! Lucky 7 years of chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the Gohonzon in my home has been loaded with new changes, challenges, developments, dreams and results. Boy oh Boy do I rejoice when I read Nichiren telling Shijo (or me perhaps) CHILL OUT AND Don't ruin all your good fortune! I also grately and truly appreciate from the bottom of my heart the transcription of the salient points recently posted from the orally transmitted teachings. Every letter of Nichiren's translated writings is worth infinite duplication. Nichiren's writings are the keystone of my library and life philosophy.

MUGI WASSHIN MY FRIENDS!

HERE'S THE TRUTH!!! I AM POSTING THEM FOR YOU LITTLE BROTHER!!! THERE IS NOTHING IN YOUR LIFE THAT DIMINISHES WHO YOU ARE. EVERYTHING IN ALL THE TEN WORLDS AND THREE THOUSAND REALMS IS CLEAN AND PURE. THERE ARE NO PHENOMENA OUTSIDE OF THE LAW. EVERY ASPECT OF EVERTHING IN YOUR LIFE IS THE BUDDHA—EVEN WHEN YOU SPEND TIME IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER.

KNOW THAT! YOU CAN TAKE IT TO THE BANK. CHILL OUT AND DON’T RUIN ALL YOUR GOOD FORTUNE!

Much love and deepest respect,

T:tiphat:

Keep chanting for G-man. He's holding up well, able to sit with kids and on-hold for at least a week or two. Please don't stop chanting for him.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings (pg 238-239)

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings (pg 238-239)

All the Twenty-eight Chapters of the Lotus Sutra Are Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

24. The Bodhisattva Wonderful Sound

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: This bodhisattva Wonderful Sound is a bodhisattva who propagates the Lotus Sutra. Therefore he manifests thirty-four different forms, illustrating the principle of the mutual possession of the Ten Worlds and preaching the Law so as to bring benefits to others.

Further, because he represents the wonderful sound of the Wonderful Law, all the sounds of the Ten Worlds are wonderful sounds of the thirty-four bodily forms manifested by this bodhisattva. And because these are the wonderful sounds of renge, the lotus, it means that the sound of all the Ten Worlds and three thousand realms are all undefiled, clean and pure.

It is customary to say that the Great Teacher Jikaku was a reincarnation of the Bodhisattva Wonderful Sound. According to this view, when he received the teachings in T’ang dynasty China, he learned the technique for prolonging the voice when chanting so as to produce wonderful sounds and transmitted this technique to Japan. Why, then, did he slander the Lotus Sutra by declaring that it is inferior to the Mahavairochana and other sutras?

In fact, the sound of the Dharma realm are all of them none other than the sound of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

[four more to share...]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am being so attacked by Devils! That actually is encouraging to me because at my age and after all my years of faith, I understand that these obstacles are my good friends. This resistance is proof of my path. My life is flush with good fortune! I am the Buddha.

And so are you!

T

Chant about this coming Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, today, I KICKED SOME DEVIL ASS!!! Fuckin' stomped it! Obliterated it. Total fucking Poison into Medicine. What a satisfying and inspiring experience! I'm going to go kick some more.

Wanna join me?

This stuff never ceases to amaze me. It's mystic, it's magical, and it's 100 percent me! You can't get better than that man!

I mean really!!!!!!!.......

Much love and deepest respect,

T :peacock: