What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Bodhisattva Never Disparaging was for many years cursed and humiliated, beaten with sticks and staves, and pelted with tiles and stones by countless monks, nuns, laymen, and laywomen because he venerated them by uttering the twenty-four characters that read: “I have profound reverence for you, I would never dare treat you with disparagement or arrogance. Why? Because you are all practicing the bodhisattva way and are certain to attain Buddhahood.”6 Bodhisattva Never Disparaging p.323was Shakyamuni Buddha in one of his past lifetimes.

--- https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/36

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
DURING the two thousand years of the Former and Middle Days of the Law, those who embraced Hinayana or provisional Mahayana Buddhism as the basis of their faith and practiced these teachings in earnest could generally obtain the benefit of enlightenment. However, though they believed that this benefit had come directly from the sutras on which they had chosen to rely, in light of the Lotus Sutra, no benefit ever originated from any such provisional teachings. The reason [they were able to attain enlightenment] is that all these people had already established a bond with the Lotus Sutra during the lifetime of the Buddha, though the results they gained varied according to whether or not their receptivity had fully matured. Those whose capacity to understand the Lotus Sutra was fully mature attained enlightenment during the lifetime of the Buddha, while those whose capacity was inferior and immature [could not attain enlightenment at that time. But they] reappeared in the Former Day of the Law, and by embracing provisional Mahayana teachings such as the Vimalakīrti, Brahmā Excellent Thought, Meditation, Benevolent Kings, and Wisdom sutras, they gained the same proof of enlightenment as that obtained by those of higher capacity during the Buddha’s lifetime.
Thus the Former Day of the Law possessed all three: teaching, practice, and proof, whereas in the Middle Day of the Law, there were teaching and practice but no longer any proof. Now in the Latter Day of the Law, only the teaching remains; there is neither practice nor proof. There is no longer a single person who has formed a relationship with Shakyamuni Buddha. Those who possessed the capacity to gain enlightenment through either the provisional or true Mahayana sutras have long since disappeared. In this impure and evil age, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo of the “Life Span” chapter, the heart of the essential teaching, should be planted as the seeds of Buddhahood for the first time in the hearts of all those who commit the five cardinal sins and slander the correct teaching. This is what is indicated in the “Life Span” chapter where it states, “I will leave this good medicine here. You should take it and not worry that it will not cure you.”

---->https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/57

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
The Dharma Teacher Chih-i declared that the teachers of Buddhism had these three works ranked upside down. The ruler of the Ch’en dynasty, in order to determine the truth of the matter, thereupon summoned a group of more than a hundred men, including the Administrator of Priests Hui-heng, the Supervisor of Priests Hui-k’uang, the Dharma Teacher Hui-jung, and the Dharma Teacher Fa-sui,3 all among the most eminent leaders of the ten schools of the north and south, and had them confront Chih-i in debate.
The Dharma Teacher Chih-i said: “The Lotus Sutra itself says, ‘among the sutras, it holds the highest place.’4 It also says, ‘Among the sutras I [Shakyamuni] have preached, now preach, and will preach, this Lotus Sutra is the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand.’5 The Immeasurable Meanings Sutra makes clear that the sutras the Buddha already ‘has preached’ here refer to ‘the teaching of great wisdom and the Flower Garland teaching of the ocean-imprint meditation’ and so forth. And with regard to the sutras he ‘will preach,’ the Nirvana Sutra says, ‘. . . from the prajnā-pāramitā (the teachings of the perfection of wisdom) he brought forth the Nirvana Sutra.’ These scriptural passages show that the Lotus Sutra is superior to the Flower Garland and Nirvana sutras; they make it abundantly clear, clear as could possibly be. You should understand accordingly.”
Rebuked in this manner, some of his opponents simply shut their mouths, others spewed out abuse, while still others turned pale. The Ch’en ruler then rose from his seat and bowed three times, and all the hundred officials pressed their palms together in reverence. Powerless to prevail, the leaders of the other schools conceded defeat. Thus it was established that the Lotus Sutra holds the highest place among the teachings of the Buddha’s lifetime.

---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/171

easyDaimoku

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nam myoho renge kyo[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I apologize to everyone I have not been around more, but I has diagnose with MS last year. I trying to improve my health everyday but having this thread helps me everyday and beyond.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I a
[/FONT]

Brother Forest,

I’m going to chant for you to overcome your karma and illness! The power of your prayer is infinitely capable of change. Let’s change our karma together.

We’re always together in spirit in front of the Gohonzon everyday and night! Catch us there friends!

Chanting growers say: “Don’t be Afraid. Don’t be Defeated. Faith! Victory of Gold!”

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
In explaining the identity of the four great bodhisattvas described here, volume nine of Supplement to “The Words and Phrases,” following the explanation given in volume nine of Words and Phrases, says, “The four leaders described in the sutra passage here represent the four virtues. Superior Practices represents the virtue of true self. Boundless Practices represents the virtue of eternity. Pure Practices represents the virtue of purity. And Firmly Established Practices represents the virtue of happiness.
“There are times when a single person possesses all four of these principles. To transcend the two types of death [birth and death in the six paths and birth and death in the higher realms] is known as Superior Practices. To go beyond the two opposing views that life is cut off after one existence or that it is eternally the same is called Boundless Practices. Because one overcomes the five categories of illusions and entanglements,2 that state is designated Pure Practices. And because one is as perfect in virtue as [the Buddha who attained enlightenment under] the bodhi tree, that state is named Firmly Established Practices.”
Nichiren and his followers, who now chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, are all followers of these bodhisattvas who emerged from the earth.

---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/ott/PART-1/15

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Point One, concerning “the phantom city” (kejō)

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: The word ke, or “phantom,” refers to the element of form or the body. The word jō, or “city,” refers to the element of the mind. The provisional teachings declare that these two elements of body and mind are characterized by impermanence. But the message of the Lotus Sutra is the assertion that this impermanence is in fact a state of permanent abiding. That is, the phantom city is identical with the treasure land, the place where the treasure is to be found. In effect, now Nichiren and his followers, people who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, gain enlightenment into the fact that our bodies and minds are the Wonderful Law itself, namely, that the phantom city is identical with the treasure land. The Ten Worlds are all of them phantom cities, and each of these Ten Worlds is a treasure land.
Or again, the phantom city is the nine worlds [other than Buddhahood], and the treasure land is the state of Buddhahood. From the phantom city to the treasure land is a distance of five hundred yojanas. This distance of five hundred yojanas is symbolic of the illusions of thought and desire, of the dusts and sands that impede religious practice, and of darkness or ignorance. To understand that these five hundred yojanas of earthly desires are the five characters of the Wonderful Law means to realize that the phantom city is identical with the treasure land. In this statement that the phantom city is identical with the treasure land, the single word “identical” is symbolic of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Each moment of life in the phantom city is a moment of life in the treasure land.
The provisional teachings assert that the elements of our p.73bodies and minds are characterized by impermanence. But the Lotus Sutra asserts that they are permanently abiding. To wipe out all attachment to this concept of impermanence means to wipe out the phantom city.
Again, the phantom city is our skin and flesh, and the treasure land is our bones. To gain enlightenment into the fact that these two elements of our bodies and minds are the Wonderful Law is to grasp the essential substance of the statement that the phantom city is identical with the treasure land. That essential substance is the realization that impermanence and permanence are simultaneous and inseparable, that that which accords with changing circumstances, that which is unchanging, these are tranquil and shining in a single moment of life.
Each of these moments of life is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, a moment of life in which one exercises a faith that is free of doubt. One should give particular thought to the word “identical” in the statement that the phantom city is identical with the treasure land.
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/ott/PART-1/7

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
On Upholding Faith in the Gohonzon

I HAVE received the various articles that you so kindly sent.
I am entrusting you with a Gohonzon for the protection of your young child. This Gohonzon is the essence of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all the scriptures. It is like the sun and the moon in the heavens, a great ruler on earth, the heart in a human being, the wish-granting jewel among treasures, and the pillar of a house.
When we have this mandala with us, it is a rule that all the Buddhas and gods will gather round and watch over us, protecting us like a shadow day and night, just as warriors guard their ruler, as parents love their children, as fish rely on water, as trees and grasses crave rain, and as birds depend on trees. You must trust in it with all your heart.
With my deep respect,
Nichiren

The twenty-fifth day of the eighth month

Reply to the lay nun Myōshin
---> https://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/73

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
“Nichiren Daishonin writes: ‘Iron, when heated in the flames and pounded, becomes a fine sword’ (WND –1, 303). Truly great individuals never allow even the most challenging circumstances to defeat them. Instead, they use those obstacles as a springboard for growth and as an opportunity to learn more and improve themselves.’”

Daisaku Ikeda

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
"Even a feeble person will not stumble if those supporting him are strong, but a person of considerable strength, when alone, may fall down on an uneven path."

(Three Tripitaka Masters Pray for Rain
- WND, Vol. 1, page 598)