What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group (2013-∞)

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Point Four, on the passage “At that time the bodhisattvas, respectfully complying with the Buddha’s will and at the same time wishing to fulfill their own original vows, proceeded in the presence of the Buddha to roar the lion’s roar and to make a vow.”

The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings says: To comply with the Lotus Sutra is what is meant by “respectfully complying with the Buddha’s will.” By the Buddha’s will is meant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

Now when Nichiren and his followers chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, it means that they are “respectfully complying with the Buddha’s will.”

---> http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/ott/PART-1/13

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo!!

The first treasure I chanted to materialize through my faith in my Gohonzon was my sidekick and best pet ever. She's going to turn 10 on Mothers day.

One of the biggest items on my bucket list was earning a sincere and compassionate apology from my biggest antagonist in this life and it happened on the day of my 11th anniversary from recieving my Gohonzon.

These days when I write about the time before and around the inception of my Buddhist practice, it seems like I was another person back then. The truth is, the seeds of faith, practice and study have bloomed a mother fucking cornucopia of delight and wonder.

Much love to each of you! Please keep chanting amd supporting our precious youth!!

easyDaimoku

Veteran
Good Fortune in This Life

Good Fortune in This Life

EARLY in the New Year(1)I received your greetings from your messenger. Let us congratulate each other! And I have received your various gifts, including seventy slabs of rice cake, a bamboo container of sake, a horseload of taros, one paper bag of river laver, two bundles of radishes, and seven yams. These articles demonstrate your warmhearted sincerity.
The eighth volume of the Lotus Sutra says, “Their wishes will not be in vain, and in this present existence they will gain the reward of good fortune.”(2) It also states, “In this present existence he will have manifest reward for it.”(3) The Great Teacher T’ien-t’ai said, “The Son of Heaven uttered not a single word in vain,” and “The words of the DharmaKing contain no falsehoods.”(4)If one is a worthy ruler, one never lies, even if it would bring about one’s ruin. How much more is this true of the Thus Come OneShakyamuni, who, when he was King Universal Brightness in a previous existence, returned to the palace of King Spotted Feet [to be executed] because he observed the precept against lying! When he met King Kāli in another past existence, he declared that those people who speak little truth or tell great lies will fall into hell. In addition, referring to the Lotus Sutra, the Buddha himself declares there, “The World-Honored One [has long expounded his doctrines and] now must reveal the truth,”(5) and furthermore, it was expounded at the assembly where Many Treasures Buddha and the Buddhas of the ten directionshad gathered as if the sun, the moon, and countless stars were ranged side by side. If there are any falsehoods in the Lotus Sutra, what then can people believe in?

Those who offer even a flower or a stick of incense to such a sutra have offered alms to a hundred thousand million Buddhas in their previous existences. Moreover, in the Latter Day of the Law of Shakyamuni Thus Come One, when the world is in chaos, and the ruler, his ministers, and the common people all alike hate the votary of the Lotus Sutra; when this votary is like a fish living in a puddle during a drought, or like a deer surrounded by all sorts of people, those who visit this votary on their own will obtain far greater blessings than they would by making offerings with their mind, mouth, and body for the space of an entire kalpa tothe living Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings. The golden words of the Thus Come One are clear.

The sun is brilliant, and the moon, clear. The words of the Lotus Sutra are brilliant and clear, clear and brilliant, like the reflection of a face in a bright
mirror, or the image of the moon on clear water. Yet could the Thus Come One’s pronouncement “In this present existence they will gain the reward of good fortune,” or his proclamation “In this present existence he will have manifest reward for it” possibly be empty only for Nanjō Shichirō Jirō? It is certain that, even if there were an age when the sun rises in the west, or a time were to come when the moon emerges from the ground, the Buddha’s words would never prove false. Judging from this, there cannot be the least doubt that your late father is now in the presence of ShakyamuniBuddha, the lord of teachings, and that you will receive great blessings in your present existence. How wonderful, how splendid!

Nichiren"

The nineteenth day of the first month in the second year of Kenji (1276)

Reply to Nanjō

(The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Volume 1, Pages 654-655)

Background

This letter was written at Minobu when the Daishonin was fifty-five years old. Its recipient was Nanjō Shichirō Jirō Tokimitsu, commonly known as Nanjō Tokimitsu, a staunch follower of the Daishonin and the steward of Ueno Village in Fuji District of Suruga Province.

In the letter, citing the Lotus Sutra, the Daishonin says that those who serve the votary of the Lotus Sutra in the Latter Day of the Law, even for a short time, will gain incalculably greater good fortune than those who serve Shakyamuni Buddha for an entire kalpa. Since all Buddhas have attested to the truth of the Lotus and it contains not a particle of falsehood, no doubt can exist that Tokimitsu’s sincerity not only will bring him great blessings in his present existence, as the sutra promises, but also will benefit his deceased father.

1. According to the traditional Chinese and Japanese calendar, the New Year is also the beginning of spring.
2. Lotus Sutra, chap. 28.
3. Ibid. The full passage reads, “If there is anyone who offers alms to them [those who accept, uphold, read, and recite this sutra] and praises them, then in this present existence he will have manifest reward for it.”
4. A rephrasing of two passages in The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra.
5. Lotus Sutra, chap. 2.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I firmly uphold the teaching that the Lotus Sutra is supreme among the sutras the Buddha has preached, now preaches, and will preach.7 Moreover, I chant the daimoku, which is the heart and core of the entire sutra, and I urge others to do likewise. Although the mugwort growing in a hemp field or wood marked for cutting with an inked line8 may not be straight to begin with, they will as a matter of course become so.

In the same way, one who chants the daimoku as the Lotus Sutra teaches will never have a twisted mind. For one should know that, unless the mind of the Buddha enters into our bodies, we cannot in fact chant the daimoku.

---> http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/84#para-28

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

What inspired Shakyamuni to devote himself to religious practice over kalpas equal in number to dust particles in an effort to attain Buddhahood? It was nothing other than the ideal of filial devotion. All the living beings of the six paths and the four forms of birth are our fathers and mothers. Therefore, as long as Shakyamuni was unable to treat them all with filial devotion, he refrained from becoming a Buddha.

The Lotus Sutra offers a secret means for leading all living beings to Buddhahood. It leads one person in the realm of hell, one person in the realm of hungry spirits, and thus one person in each of the nine realms of existence to Buddhahood, and thereby the way is opened for all living beings to attain Buddhahood. The situation is like the joints in a piece of bamboo: if one joint is ruptured, then all the joints will split. Or it is like the move known as shichō19 in the game of go: if one stone is declared “dead,” then many stones will “die.” The Lotus Sutra also is like these.

Metal has the power to cut down trees and plants, and water has the power to extinguish any kind of fire. In like manner, the Lotus Sutra has the power to bring all living beings to the state of Buddhahood.

Among the living beings of the six paths and the four forms of birth there are both men and women. And these men and women all were our parents at some point in our past existences. Therefore, as long as even one of these fails to attain Buddhahood, then we ourselves cannot become Buddhas.

Hence people of the two vehicles are referred to as those who do not know how to repay their debt of gratitude, and it is taught that they will never be able to attain Buddhahood. This is because they do not universally manifest their sense of filial devotion.

The Buddha became enlightened to the Lotus Sutra, and as a result of the filial devotion that he showed to the mothers and fathers of the six paths and the four forms of birth, his person was endowed with blessings.

p.513And these blessings enjoyed by the Buddha can be transferred by him to people who put their faith in the Lotus Sutra. It is like the food eaten by a loving mother, which turns into milk for the nourishment of her baby. For the Buddha has said, “Now this threefold world is all my domain, and the living beings in it are all my children.”20

----> http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/62#para-66

Stan G.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo:tiphat:
I and all sentient beings, until we achieve enlightenment, go for refuge to Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha.

Last edited:

Stan G.

From the hearts of all refuge objects, lights and nectars
stream down and dissolve into myself and all living
beings, purifying negative karma and obstructions,
increasing our lives,, our virtues, and Dharma realizations.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
:woohoo:

Stan G.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
With my body, speech, and mind, humbly I prostrate,
And make offerings both set out and imagined.
I confess my wrong deeds from all time,
And rejoice in the virtues of all.
Please stay until samsara ceases,
And turn the Wheel of Dharma for us.
I dedicate all virtues to great enlightenment.:tiphat:

Stan G.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
May the whole ground
Become completely pure,
As level as the palm of a hand,
And as smooth as Lapis Lazuli.
:tiphat: