What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chainmaille

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I didn't know whether to start this thread in the Art forum or here. On the one hand, it's jewelry (an artistic expression), but technically, it's chainmaille. Yes, the same thing as medieval armor! Does anyone else make their own x-mas/b'day/Valentine/anniversary/etc. jewelry gifts?

I stumbled across a site dedicated to chainmaille that has several hundred weaves with instructions for a few hundred of them. It's non-commercial, has zero ads and there are no restrictions on viewing any page there, even if you don't sign-up. But, you have do have to register to post.

I had a few feet of 10 and 12 gauge electrical wire consuming nothing, but contributing nothing. Threw about $40 at it and started making my own rings and made a few pieces that were given to family and friends. The thickness of the wire made big honkin' bracelets (and a necklace) and they were more masculine because of it. Since then, I bought some 18 gauge thermostat wire and a roll of 20 gauge craft wire. This is a couple pics of what I'm doing now.

The triangle part is the center piece for a handflower and with the earrings, making a set for my daughter. I intend to use the triangle part (a weave called Aura) of the earrings to make a bracelet for the said handflower and a weave called JPL for the finger ring. The earings are made with black onyx beads (from a broken necklace) and 1/8" and 1/4" 18awg rings; the hooks were store bought. The centerpiece is made out of the same black onyx beads and 3/16" 12awg wire.

The top bracelet was one of the first I made and is two 1 in 1 chains connected down the middle. At 3/16" I.D. rings, the thickness of the 12 awg rings prevented making it wider. But, I like how the upright rings roll over to the side making the middle rings stand up!

The bottom bracelet is made of 3/16" I.D 18awg rings and the weave is called Alligator Back. lol...Ya, I know, I need to work on the clasp.

Make no mistake, am no jeweler, but would love to see some of the talent here! Please feel free to post anything chainmaille or even wire-wrap jewelry you've made!

You can find the site I mentioned, here:
M.A.I.L. (Maille Artisans International League)
http://mailleartisans.org/

Like I said, it's a non-commercial site. No advertising! You have to register to post, but you don't have to sign-up to view any page there!

Peace!

Edit: Double-checked the link too. Thanks!

Last edited:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Thank you for your very kind words! But I wouldn't go so far as to say impressive.
Impressive to me would mean a saleable product! Still, it's hardly difficult to do, you close one ring and open up a second ring. Loop it through the closed ring, then close it. Done!

I realize that's pretty simplistic and there's a bit of a learning curve, but when you get right down to brass tacks, that's basically it. It's repetitive and takes a bit of time, but I don't mind that. Probably the hardest for me to wrap my head around was the aspect ratio. The ratio of wire thickness to ring I.D. Some weaves are fairly specific and a ring's aspect ratio outside that (up or down), won't work.

Ya...It's been fun! I've enjoyed making the rings as much or more than weaving them!

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
I like it! I think you could sell those no problem - esp. at a renaissance fair.

Any plans to use stainless in the future, or copper and stainless for a 2-tone look?

sprinkl

Veteran
That's cool stuff :)

Here's what I('m supposed to) look like while butchering meat at my job...

03PARIS1-popup.jpg

How do you make that stuff? What equipment do you need?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I like it! I think you could sell those no problem - esp. at a renaissance fair.

Any plans to use stainless in the future, or copper and stainless for a 2-tone look?

Would like to, but, not many of them around here. Still, there are flea markets, county fairs, consignment shops, etc. I'd settle for enough money to cover the cost of materials, though.

I'm not set-up for heavy duty, saw cutting. So I'll get pre-made SS rings, eventually. Bright and anodized aluminum, too! The copper was handy, easy to coil and cut. Besides, "it shines up real purty." There's a bunch of types of rings to use, rubber rings, titanium, niobium, and a few others (even flat washers).
Silver and gold are to high dollar, so I haven't even given that a thought.
That's cool stuff :)

Here's what I('m supposed to) look like while butchering meat at my job...

View Image

How do you make that stuff? What equipment do you need?

Was no real butcher, but cut meat for a local grocery for a while. lol...Would have loved to had a glove!

I can post some pic's if you want, but it's just four 2"x4"'s screwed end to end to make a box and clamped upright to my work bench/desk. Drilled holes opposite of each other and run a steel rod through both. Clamp off the wire to the rod inside the box, turn the rod and wind the wire around it. Slide off the coil, secure it, and cut down one side.

I haven't yet figured out a sliding system that I can either slide the Dremel across the coil or slide the coil through the Dremel's cutting wheel. Right now, I'm free handing it!

festerous

Veteran
Stainless are a real pita to work with but very strong and make great wallet chains in round maille or even byzantine. Brass and Copper is always a good money maker along with anodized aluminium dice bags. If you buy rings make sure you get saw cut if you are planning to sell sell them. Very time consuming hobby, hard to break even on a shirt that takes 2 month's to make when you can "buy it now" for $80. About what it would cost to buy the rings in anything other than galvanized. My daughter sell's allot of earrings and bracelets.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Stainless are a real pita to work with but very strong and make great wallet chains in round maille or even byzantine. Brass and Copper is always a good money maker along with anodized aluminium dice bags. If you buy rings make sure you get saw cut if you are planning to sell sell them. Very time consuming hobby, hard to break even on a shirt that takes 2 month's to make when you can "buy it now" for $80. About what it would cost to buy the rings in anything other than galvanized. My daughter sell's allot of earrings and bracelets.

Thanks for the tips! tbh...I don't really see myself selling much more than what I can get for materials...lol...and maybe a dollar or two in my pocket. After that, it will be more a labor of love. I like going from raw materials (lol...short of smelting!) to "purty!" I have an adjustable speed Dremel, but even at the lowest speed setting, it leaves burrs. Ya, from all I can gather, cutting anything more than brass or bronze is going require a bit more than I'm willing to put into. So, buying some rings is on the list! :D

Lately, life has been more problematic, so I haven't finished the hand-flower, yet. But, will get around to it sooner or later and post a pic here.

Thanks again for the tips! :tiphat:

festerous

Veteran
The Experimenter's kits from "the Ring lord" are a good place to start.
Also be sure to pick up a few pounds of their floor sweepings to defer the cost of shipping.
The Floor sweepings are dirt cheap and contain some of the more expensive metals they carry.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
As a matter of fact, have ordered a stretch of sterling silver from them for a project for my daughter! lol...Ya, have a covetous eye for TRL's products! And I'll give the floor sweepings a closer look! Thanks, again! :tiphat:

festerous

Veteran
The floor sweepings are so cool because of the wide array of aspect ratios available to experiment with.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I have six, 3' steel rods of 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and 7/16 inches diameter and am semi-looking for 3-5-7/32" rods longer than a foot or two and is hard to find! lol...Fat fingers and poor eyesight limits anything less than 3/32 inch ring anyway, and that's pushing it!

I also have three 4' wooden dowels of 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4 inches that I want to use for about 60' of 7g aluminum wire I got from an old clothes line. But, I don't see using those for more than a very few times anyway, as winding will deform the wood. I did use about 10' of it for 7/16" rings and made a short piece of Coyote Maille for practice. I don't really like it though, it rubs off to easily and turns everything to "sooty" looking.

I wouldn't mind making a coif or even a hauberk, but it would only be for family, though. In particularly for my son-in-law. He's descended from German immigrants in the St. Louis area, and grew up playing D'n'D, so chainmaille hold's a degree of interest for him.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
FWIW, almost two months later! I redesigned the hand-flower a bit.

12awg 1/4" rings, 4mm(?) black onyx beads. The ear hooks are store bought, 18awg 1/8" and 1/4" rings for the Aura units, and 18awg 1/8" rings for the finger ring...part.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Damn dude, that's some fine work. Any older pieces to show? Might be neat to see how your skills and imagination have progressed.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Thanks, man! I appreciate that! :D

Anything other than the two bracelets in the first post, have been given away. But, I've been wanting to make a Viperscale bracelet out of 3/16" 20gauge craft wire for a while, now. I was hoping that others would post up a few pic's of their own work, so I'll have to see about making a couple more pieces.

Latest posts

Latest posts