What's new

cfl question!

Texasheat

Ok so i recently purchased some 42 watt daylight cfl's from home depot, after my seedlings sprouted i noticed thier stretching and the leaves are standing straight instead of laying down. i checked the spectrum rating and i noticed its 5000k is this bad or do i neeed a diff rating?

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Ok so i recently purchased some 42 watt daylight cfl's from home depot, after my seedlings sprouted i noticed thier stretching and the leaves are standing straight instead of laying down. i checked the spectrum rating and i noticed its 5000k is this bad or do i neeed a diff rating?

You're fine. :D
5000K has more blue in it. You'll have a shorter bushier plant than if you used 2700K (like you would during flower). Great veg lamp. :D

You should have that CFL within about 6" or so of your seedlings. :D Happy plants stretch for the sky with their leaves.... plants with too little light, stretch for the light with their stems(before falling over, usually). :D

Stay Safe! :tree:

S

Sirus

I am very close to embarking on my own first trial...but from my

research you should be fine with that K rating. I am going to be

running 8 T5's on my sprouts/seedlings at a rating of 6500K. For

veg I have two lamps, a Hortilux Blue at 5000K and AgroMax Gold

at 2300K if I remember correctly. How far are your cfl's from the

plants? I know I have read stretching can be caused by having

the light to far away. Good luck in you endeavors. :smoke:

Internode

Get yourself a HID lamp if you're serious about growing.
But . . .growing in Texas? I live next door where it's legal. It feels like I am living next door to a rabid attack dog since TX is just across the border. You'll need to grow sativas unless you spend a fortune air conditioning the grow room.

weeeduh

I was over at 1000bulbs checking out some options for florescent lighting. Interestingly enough, I came up with the same wattage bulb 42w as my preferred fluorescent.

I was also doing a comparison of the t5 bulbs and ballasts over at home harvest, here -> http://homeharvest.com/highoutputfluorescentssunblaze.htm

So what I am comparing is lumens and price. First thing I noticed is that the 2ft t5 bulbs are rated at 2000 lumens, where as the 42w cfl is rated at 2800 lumens.

The next t5 bulb up is the 4 ft bulb at 5000 lumens.

So I have to wonder, how efficient is that 5000 lumens going to be because clearly parts of the bulb are going to be at least 24 inches away from the center of your plant. It just seems like it would be easier to focus a cfl than a t5. And for the price of the ballast I was looking at the 2ft 8 bulb, $229 bucks! I could get a 20 pack of 42 watt cfls and focus light all over the place.

So the T5's are definitely energy efficient. 2000 lumens for 24 watts. Its like 83 lumens/watt. But then at 2800 lumens for 42 watts we get 67 lumens/watt with the cfl. That is 25% less efficient as far as power usage and the life spans are about the same for comparable bulbs http://www.promolux.com/english/bulbspecs.html about 10,000 hours.

The other reason I will start up with the cfl bulbs rather than t5's is space efficiency. I don't mind sacrificing 25% of watts used to be able to place my lights where I need them.

I was really close to going with the t5s despite that, but the other thing I noticed is that cfl's come closer to hps light spectrum than the t5's. The t5's do a better job at filling in for MH or cool temps for vegging, but I think the cfl does a better job at flowering temps.

Of course I am a total n00b to indoor growing, so I could have completely missed something, I'd much rather go with a 400-600 HID aircooled system, but really the difference in price is just amazing to me. So I ordered my 12 cfl 42 watters. for 150 bucks shipped. I got 50/50 warm 2700k and full spectrum daylight 6500k

Next stop homeboy de pot for wood.

ithinkiam

Of course I am a total n00b to indoor growing, so I could have completely missed something, I'd much rather go with a 400-600 HID aircooled system, but really the difference in price is just amazing to me. So I ordered my 12 cfl 42 watters. for 150 bucks shipped. I got 50/50 warm 2700k and full spectrum daylight 6500k

Next stop homeboy de pot for wood.

I've been using CFL's for my grow and it's been working just fine. Growing the herb doesn't have to cost you a fortune, especially if it's just a small personal grow indoors.

Strykaar

I'm curious, has anyone actually run a grow from start to finish with CFL's? And if so, how was the harvest? I'm vegging a plant right now under 6 23W CFL's, and I was pondering getting a nice little 150W HID. Is it -absolutely- necessary, or can I run the CFL's to the end?

Fresh Start

I'm curious, has anyone actually run a grow from start to finish with CFL's? And if so, how was the harvest? I'm vegging a plant right now under 6 23W CFL's, and I was pondering getting a nice little 150W HID. Is it -absolutely- necessary, or can I run the CFL's to the end?

You're gonna want to get some 42 watt red light CFL's if you want to flower them( I think 6500 k??) But to answer your question, of coarse CFL's will get you through your grow!Check out the micro grow section, people do CFL grows all day over there.

An HID light is not completely necessary. And you'd be surprised what can be accomplished with florescents. Its really about preference and situation/set-up. Here is my grand daddy purple flowering under three 42watt and two 23watts CFL's @ day 21.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=14603&pictureid=319205

Strykaar

Beautiful picture Fresh. Gives me a happier feeling. :p I think I'm still going to splurge and get the HID, just because. But if I ever decide to do a micro grow, I'll look into some higher wattage CFL's. Thanks for the reply and advice.

Stay green.

Strykaar

And also, isn't the higher spectrum (6500k) bluer light? I thought the lower end (2700k) was red, for flowering. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
I'm curious... has anyone with less than 20 posts actually read more than 20 posts?

Seriously though. This site has thousands of examples of successful grows. Your question is like asking a sod company if they sell grass. :D

Welcome to the best source of cannabis cultivation on the web. Dig in and get your brain wet. :D

Stay Safe! :tree: :blowbubbles:

p.s. In answer to your question.... you're fine without changing your ligths.

Strykaar

Thanks for the response Hydro, albeit a slightly rude one. :) I'm still a newb to the forum, and while not having an immense amount of time to research every little thing, sometimes like to get a hastier more personal response. Kapeesh? Oh and thanks for the welcome, it's a pleasure to be here. :D

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thanks for the response Hydro, albeit a slightly rude one. :) I'm still a newb to the forum, and while not having an immense amount of time to research every little thing.
I'm blunt. No apologies here.

I've answered thousands of questions on here by kids like you. :D From what you state here.... (you're on limited time) your best bet is to just hang out for a few months first. Read, read, read, read read.

Read the stickies, use the search function. Read everything you can on what you're interested in.

After you can't find new information anymore.... formulate your SPECIFIC questions (You'll have them by then... I guarantee you.) and post the on up here. :D You'll find PLENTY of knowledgeable folks that are more than happy to help you out.

OR.... you can keep posting, without reading, and look like a chump.

Your choice. :dance013:

Stay Safe! :tree: :blowbubbles:

Strykaar

Haha! We may get along alot better than I originally thought. As for being a kid, far from it, but I appreciate you making me feel younger. I read around the forums for a week or so before finally joining up. Just trying to learn and grow like everyone else, and hopefully share some of my own knowledge and experience in the process. And don't say blunt right now. >:C

Strykaar

Nice HC. Thanks for that link to a thread of links. :p Immensely more helpful than being told to just go read.

basspirate

Hey Strykaar, welcome! I wanted to quickly chime in and mention that I have seen some absolutely badass grows with CFLs. That clown who said you need an HID hasn't come outta the cave for a while; I guess he's right in that if you are "serious" (about going commercial) you would wanna go HID.

The micro thread is really going to have the most info on growing with cfls, in my expierience, even if you are making a big setup. If you are thinking about sticking 12 CFLs into one big unit, I would like to suggest considering twosmaller cabs. A lot of people might think it's more work than it's worth, but once you start dealing with all of the heat issues and whatnot, it can be a bit easier to handle. A lof of folks, myself included, build grow cabs out of rubbermaid tubs. They are durable, easily cut/manipulated, stealthy if needed and...cheap!

If I were you, I'd just digest as much as you can from this site; I think Dr. Bud Greengenes' Sea of Green with CFL thread should be mandatory reading for anyone who wants to grow a personal stash. It will inform and inspire to the max. Sure, it's easy to ask questions by posting a thread, but you can find the answers you are looking for usually pretty easily by looking at grows that are similar to what you are working towards.

Lastly, I've noticed these mods on here will give people a healthy little push towards independence when it comes to answering questions. Hydro's right on, there is everything you need to know and volumes more right here in these forums. If I can be of any help with my still relatively new skills; feel free to hit me with a visitor message. You may also know, but once you get past 50 posts you can send people private messages if you have specific questions.

At any rate, welcome again and the best of luck. May your buds be dense!

Latest posts

Latest posts