What's new

CFL Perpetual Grow

muddy waters

CFL--those are some pretty plants, way to go.

and nice strains. i have a question about the sage--does it really smell anything like sage? for those of us originally from the western U.S., white sage is one of the sweetest scents around. good stuff. i used to chop up bits of it and smoke it with bud, giving the joint a menthol effect and disguising the smell somewhat.

Sat--so just having a fan blowing on a light can reduce the lumen output!? i never realized that. so would i be diminishing my light if i hook up another two computer fans to blow over the bulbs themselves? this would be a great justification for my laziness about installing them! right now i just have the two comp fans doing exhaust; don't know yet whether there will be heat build-up as i haven't installed the door yet, either...

4iiii'z

SatGhost said:
the other thing is that many people try to run their lights as cool as possible, and wind up killing the lumen output. i'm lucky enough to own a very good light meter, and i can assure you guys that you don't want to be running those cfl's (or hid's) at a lower temp than what they were made for, the idea is just to prevent them from over-heating. i tested this a 23w cfl, and the output was halved by one small pc fan running at 9 volts, blowing on it from one foot away.

I can find no evidence to back up your claim

:chin:

G

hey Shaman those plants are looking great.

MW, i'll have to try that sage thing. have you tried curing them together in jars, and then not actually smoking the sage? i would love to know if the flavours would fuse together that way, hmmm...

regarding the lights, yeah it's all about the bulbs operating temp. if ambient air temps are already high, then you might need those extra fans after all. i'm sure you can use a thermometer to measure the air temps above the bulb in an 'average' setting, to get the mark you're aiming for inside your cab. of course, this will give you air/radiant temps and not the temp inside the bulb, damn i wish i was there with my light meter to help all you brothers out.

4iiii'z, could you find any evidence to prove me wrong? sorry mate i am only perpetuating what i've seen with my own eyes and what i know to be true about the principals of artificial lighting.

G

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I wanted to update you on the clones. The first 2 pics are the Blueberry clone I transplanted. It’s starting to setup nicely. You can tell the roots are starting to grow when the clone starts to show signs of new growth. Clones won’t do any growin till the roots are formed. The last three pics show the second blueberry clone that started growin roots the other day. When the roots begin to develop, they grow quickly. I will be transplanting this one later today. You can see the yellowing of the larger leaves which is a sure sign the roots have started to develop. The last 2 pics proves it. Remember, these clones are in plain tap water, no powders, gels or spells used during the process. I am not against using any type of cloning supplements, but if your patient, there not needed in my opinion.

Hey Muddy,
Besides having the same name, SAGE is nothing like the herb. Actually, it wasn’t named after the herb, its actually an abbreviation of the name Sativa Afghani Genetic Equilibrium, hence the name S.A.G.E. Its one of the top strains IMO. I wish it smelled like the herb sage. When it gets close to the finish, it stinks! A good dank smell.
Shaman

Blueberry 1

Blueberry 2

Blazed_Out

Nice grow there CFL Shaman!
From your past experience, how much did you yield on your plants? I know it'll differ from plant to plant, but I just want to know what to expect since I'm in a CFL grow myself (1st CFL grow) in a cab. I'm used to growing with HID's but can't this time round.
This is like a little test for me and a start in using techniques such as LST to keep big plants small a bushy.

G

Hi Blaze,
I don't grow plants anymore taller than 2'. With the cfls, I get about a 1/4 - 1/2 oz of dried bud depending upon the strain.
Good luck with your grow

4eye,
I am sorry if CFLs and info about them are bizarre in your world.
No offense taken
Shaman

Last edited:

4iiii'z

actually - its the fact you wait for buds b4 taking cuttings, I find bizarre
but hey - what ever works

personally Ive found these cuttings to be lacking vigor

(*)^(*)

G

Here are some updated bud pics of the grow. The Blackberry bud is currently being flushed for harvest in a week. The Sage bud should finish about 3-4 weeks from now. The Blueberry has about 6 - 7 weeks left. The last pic is a sage clone that just started to produce roots. The two blueberry clones are currently in veg.
Shaman

Blackberry

Sage

Blueberry

Sage Clone

G

Hi Sat,
The Blackberry should be ready by the end of the week. I moved it to another room to finish, since I needed the space for the Blueberry and Sage. I'll post some pics of the Blackberry when it finishes. I took these pics about 2 days ago.

I've grown out about 2 packs of Dutch Passions Blueberry and always seem to get females that hermie frequently. I pulled off a couple of male buds on this one as well.
There also seems to be irregular branching and mutated leaves associated with their strain. I don't mind since all the grows I had produced potent buds. Not really any purple colors, but as long as the smokes good, I could care less about the color.
Shaman

Lower Blackberry Bud

Blueberry

Sage

4iiii'z

CFL Shaman said:
always seem to get females that hermie frequently. irregular branching and mutated leaves

thats a normal reaction,
for a plant pulled out of flower & re-vegged

I would seriously consider changing your methods
stop taking clones from a plant that has been in a 12/12 cycle
you should see no more hermies or mutated leaves

:joint:

G

Hi 4eye,
No offense meant, but you have no idea what your talking about. I don't want to turn this thread into going back and fourth with you. My methods are just fine, I'll let my pics do the talking. None of my plants are revegged and DP Blueberry is known for the mutated leaves and hermie problem. I was letting people know about it if they decide to grow it for themselves. All my clones are just fine and healthy.
Shaman

Bluberry Bud

Sage Bud

G

I thought I would post some updated pics. The first pic is the Blackberry that has been cut and dried for a couple days. It only yielded 1/4 oz dried. The smoke is decent and the color is nice, but I cut it from the next round because the Sage and Blueberry are better smokes and producers.
The next 2 pics are of the Sage plant and a bud closeup. After a week of PK 13/14 and a week of plain water, the buds are starting to swell. I'll probably let it go for another 10 days.
The last pic is the Blueberry. I firgure another 3 - 4 weeks left. I'll post some pics of the next batch, a sage and a blueberry clone that are both rooted and currently in veg.
Shaman

Dried Blackberry

Sage

Sage Bud

Blueberry

Latest posts

Latest posts