What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CFL Cab 3rd Run - 1 sqft - 5 Plants - 115w

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So let me get this right. No bottled or organic nute feedings with waterings, no ph testing/adjusting and you use tap water? Just a good soil with lots of nutrients for the whole plants cycle? And some training if you need to?

That's all?

That sounds great if so. So simple and your getting great yields. I'd love to hear more if your willing to share. Very interested in your soil mix as well.

You are correct. There are no additional bottled/organic/etc nute feedings. No ph testing and yes I use tap water the whole time.

There are also no drain holes in the containers cuz I can't stand watching nutes literally go down the drain.

I re-use my soil and have been for a couple years now.

I remove the excess soil from the rootball and run it through a 1/2" hardware cloth screen, then pitch the main root mass. This breaks up some of the roots into small pieces adding organic matter back to the soil. I also add nutrients back into the soil; guano, blood/bone meal, alfalfa meal, lime, greensand, plant-tone, etc (recently I started adding bio-tone too). I moisten and turn the soil over, let sit, occasionally stir, let sit and then use when needed.

I have 5 big rubbermaid tubs in rotation using this method.

Leviathan

:yoinks:blynx just wanted to say that ive been very impressed with your grows, i had no idea just how easy u have made things for yourself, i really respect your style mate, no drainage, no nutes aside from your soil ammendments, we should all be taking notes from you, your my minimalist mentor- care to share any of the exact details of your mix that youve found works best for u-:abduct::yoinks::abduct:

great grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BIOJenn

you got sum skillzzzz ..i would luv to see what you can do in a bigger unit with 42 watters. or 2-42w and 2-23w Red/Blue cfl's

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yoinks:blynx just wanted to say that ive been very impressed with your grows, i had no idea just how easy u have made things for yourself, i really respect your style mate, no drainage, no nutes aside from your soil ammendments, we should all be taking notes from you, your my minimalist mentor- care to share any of the exact details of your mix that youve found works best for u-:abduct::yoinks::abduct:

great grow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There really aren't any exact amounts (I do go a bit heavy on the bone meal cuz it's mostly a flowering mix), I just kinda pour nutes into the tubs and mix it up.

I actually usually don't 'make' a whole tub at once.

I will screen a rootball or two into the tub, add some nutes and water and stir. Then later (days or weeks), another rootball or two are added and some more nutes are added to the mix, watered and stirred.

If I do a whole tub at once, then I will do the same as above. Screen two rootballs, add nutes and water and stir, then screen two more rootballs, add nutes and stir, repeat until tub is full.

If I first mix up a layer making it homogeneous, and then mix up layers to make the tub homogeneous, I find it easier than trying to add all the nutes to a big tub of soil and then trying to mix it all at once.

Leviathan

i know your not into run off but id have to imagine that if you got alot more air to your medium your growth would explode, any thought to air pots? maybe a saucer under your container to catch runoff? i really think that might be your missing link-

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i know your not into run off but id have to imagine that if you got alot more air to your medium your growth would explode, any thought to air pots? maybe a saucer under your container to catch runoff? i really think that might be your missing link-

I think you are missing the point of no drainholes with my soil mix. There is plenty of air to the roots or else I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing, ie the plants would drown.

Leviathan

no i understand what your doing its just that ive always had an eye for how plants look above ground and how this corresponds to their underground enviroment. If u look at plants in areoponics, there usually slightly weepy looking even theough the growth is explosive as this kind of mirrors the roots in a medium of just humidity and little structual surport, look at coco, the plants are always almost perky and awake looking from the breathability as well as root support and then look at most soil grows and u can see how there slightly tired looking which isnt plant fatigue its just the slower metabolism in the cycle of wet to dry that makes them look so(keep in mind aeroponics is like 99 percent humidity, coco has much more air then soil and u yourself can attest to only watering once a week in your dirt, its just something i notice when ever i look at plants, the respiration of the medium i guess. thats why i asked u about if youve ever considerd useing air pots, when i did my second run in soil about 15 years ago i drilled holes up n down my containers for just this purpose even though i didnt know about air pots,, the babies gotta respirate-and the faster they go from almost fully saturated to almost full dry the faster n bigger they get within reason.

Dr 4 four

Nice grow blynx! Your total weights keep on increasing the more you tweak your process. Do you plan to use the same grow container or move to different one or possibly back to the half gallon containers? I forgot who said this or where....When watering a container with no drain holes the water will act as an agitator to push out old air. As the water gets absorbed or evaporates, new air is pulled back down into the soil. Or something to that nature happens.

RexDark

hey blynx, your yield is inspiring, what was your starting hight in the 3 grows, Im looking at something similar, what kind of soil did you use (any specific mix), any type of fertilizer you used? Do you water daily or ever 3 days or so? any other tips?

Dr 4 four

If you check out blynx's link for his first run, the 9 plants 70w cfl. He talks about his setup, grow medium, nutes, and even gives his thoughts.

hey blynx i just want your opinion based on this since you've done 3 sq foot grows, i am building a scrog box, 12x12x16, 16 inches tall or just 4 inches over a foot, and i am using a 4 inch tall box thats basically 12x12 just shaved under to fit inside of the cab, and a bag inside, with one plant, i want to let it fill up most of the screen, then flower it, with 5 inches from the actual screen, and 4 inches of colas if training goes to plan, do you think it plausible i could hit 28 grams with this one scrog? under 6 23-27w cfls (depending on what they have)

Buju09

Kudos, my only thing would be next run, experiment with some tie downs
..I did it with a non vertical height issue, and i got my stem to almost lay horizontal and the bud was a solid stick ( with the one that wasn't top'd) like a christmas tree from a half inch of the soil. But yeah awesome system, and results.

conehead

Good stuff & well document,Very inspirational to see a full grow in such an expertly put together pictorial layout. 10 points to you bud/bud.
Love my cannography, need a daily perve

cfltime

how long did you veg for? seed to veg....how long was that period? this is the perfect motivation for me.

just built a 3Wx2Dx3H CAB out of melanoma board Im SURE i will yield at least a half. still pickin out the strain though. probably some NL#5.

GREAT MOTIVATION!!!!

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how long did you veg for? seed to veg....how long was that period? this is the perfect motivation for me.

just built a 3Wx2Dx3H CAB out of melanoma board Im SURE i will yield at least a half. still pickin out the strain though. probably some NL#5.

GREAT MOTIVATION!!!!

I don't veg the plants in this cfl cab. I use it strictly for flowering, so the lights are always 12/12 in the cab.

I've never run a plant from seed in here and don't think it would be that efficient imo. I use clones, and they vary in age depending on how fast/slow they grow when put to soil. I go by size more than age.

When the cab is ready for a new round, I use whatever clones are handy and around 3-6" tall.

The amount of plants I run in the cab depends on how many are ready, what size, what strain and whatever whim I happen to have at the moment.

Latest posts

Latest posts