What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
E-HC1H151Z HID Floodlight with 120-volt ballast. Includes 150-watt HPS ED17 lamp. This it?

If so, No!!! A 150 HPS uses an HPS ballast. A 150 CMH uses a MH Ballast. 250-400 CMH use HPS.

MHHSP

Just ordered my new CMH today. Its a 400 watt bulb and I will be running it on my 400 watt HPS ballast from HTG supply. Hopefully everything works out right.

MHHSP said:
Just ordered my new CMH today. Its a 400 watt bulb and I will be running it on my 400 watt HPS ballast from HTG supply. Hopefully everything works out right.

You should be good to go when it comes in.

Uncle Remus

Just upgraded from a 250w to a 400w'er...Looking forward to comparing yield between the two

Last run with the 250 I pulled just over 5 oz's from 3 plants :rasta:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
SOB<, something is wrong with ICMAG.. i have been wondering why no emails for response to post.. duh.. it just didnt email me.. and it has done this before..
I apologize,, i should be keeping a better eye on it..

Night..
in my experience the different environments (temps humidity, etc) is what i think caused it..
i have had good results taking same mom cuts indoors and out.. with both looking simulur.. (but that was when i was in a nice place and outdoor air coming straight threw grow room and out again.. (so they had same air and humidity temps etc as outdoor (even when rained)
Media could also be a factor..
as u can tell these are just guess comparisons..between my experiance and yours.

Sarek, I have not seen them for public release..
Forget lifelight there selling enclosed rated lamps for open fixture and NOT TELLING YOU ENCLOSED ONLY>> adv tech just had a pic of a cmh that a cust had BLOW and if it not been for the Protection from Philips they would have lost they house.. IMPHO and IMPHO..
ill find there pic again..

as far as 600+ for horti The only cmhs out there above 400 are NOT FOR HORTI>>
there spd is for Commercial Lighting IE a soccer/football/baseball field/pitch/whtvr..
they are Not Open Fixture rated and when they blow a SS1 wont save u..
The glass needs to be THICK> or HIGH in the air like 100feet to ensure particals are cool by the time they hit the ground..
im sure adv tech would have a better lamp if it was out there.. remember there not out for profit rather efficiant/econmical Products for the Consumer..

Mr. C,
Ya theys not here yet for us..
trully think 300 watt CMH (not the first batch from philips though there v2 of cmh v2)
putting out same power as 400 infact More.. (just more efficient SPD output)
remember cmh can be customized however since there primary market is Commercial lighting we have to wait for a spd that works for us.. (they currently like green yellow for lumen but we want less there and more red blue.. (be the Beesnees of horti lamps)

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Thats what they look like as they are basically MH lamps but with the HPS arc tube material instead of quartz clear glass..
that plus a lil change of salts, etc gives it the higher lumen maint, and even effects spd and HEAT...

S

ShoeboxSherman

This thread, along with Hoosierdaddy's and Freezerboy's grow thread convinced me. My 400W CMH arrives this week, I can't wait to see how it does in my closet/cabinet bubbler.

mAKo BuDz

Correct me if im wrong (im still learning), but dont these cmh bulbs have a lower lumen output than hps? is there a big difference or does the white light make up for it??

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
mAKo BuDz said:
Correct me if im wrong (im still learning), but dont these cmh bulbs have a lower lumen output than hps? is there a big difference or does the white light make up for it??
I think that you will find your answer in the first pages of this thread.

Just completed the first run on a 400W CMH.

Used the nice "green" Coolstar ballast & very pleased with it..

Yet to sample but I REALLY like the lower heat & even move the natural white color during flowering.

You can really read the leaves better with the cmh spectrum unlike the red hps...

mAKo BuDz

hoosierdaddy said:
I think that you will find your answer in the first pages of this thread.

Yeah i read all that, what i should of asked is, do you still need to keep the min of 5000 lumens per sq/ft or can it be lower with these lights? i dont want any less lumens per sq/ft if its going to effect my babies, if it doesn't sweet, its all good..

Last edited:

knna

For an accurate answer, use my sheet.

As general rule of thumb, 1000lm (a Klm) of HPS produces 12 uE, and a Klm of MH, about 16 uE.

So to know photon emission or density, multiply Klm (or Klux) of the HPS by 12 and by 16 in the case of MH (4000K) or CMH (4000K). The Phillips retrowhite is very close (over 15.9 uE/Klm).

If you want to convert recomendations based on HPS, multiply them for 12/16 (=3/4) to know equivalence for the CMH: 5000lm/sq ft of HPS equal to 3750lm/sq ft of CMH.

If you compare the total emission of 400w HPS to 400w CMH, the 55Klm of a typical 400w HPS equal to 41,25 Klm of CMH. As the Phillips retrowhite emits 40Klm, it means it emits slighty less photons than the equivalent HPS, but its mostly due the CMH emit more photons of shorter wavelenghts that hold more energy per photon.

In terms of only production, it means a slight advantage for HPS on low-medium light densities environments and an advantage for CMH on high density environments. Up to 50-60w/sq ft, advantage for HPS, over that, and especially when using over 75w/sqft, advantage for the CMHs (it means larger advantages for CMH are when used on small spaces; ive stated this at the beggining of the thread). This is specially true on non CO2 enriched environments.

Notice the advantage on photon output of HPS happens with the 400w models: the lower the wattage, the higher the advantage for CMHs. Note im letting quality considerations completelly out of this analysis.

Peace,
knna

darippa

simba,
would a 400w cmh bulb be ok to use with a 430w hps ballast? found a pretty good deal locally and need to make sure before picking it up. thank you.

R

riverrat7

Quick question. Will 400w CMH's outperform the MH's for vegging?

I only veg indoors then throw them outside to flower.

Thanks

Mackawber

I too bought a CMH 400 watt. I got one of those access discount magnetic ballasts to power it. It seems to work well. Last night the power went out for 3 minutes but it refired with no problems. The plants seem to want it closer so I have it about 18" off the top. I don't know what I'm going to do about flowering. I have a 600 watt HPS I could use but I'm inclined not to. I'm at day 19 of veg and getting ready for my first transplant to one gallon size container. Final transplant will be to 5 gallons during flowering. My main problem is controlling temps--I don't have an air conditioning unit yet so the temps last week got up to 85F. Cooler weather should be arriving soon.