What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

simba

Sleeping Dragon
MPL,
i didnt put pin numbers cause i dont know what relay you are using..
the second timer is to get 19minutes there only 10 minute timers..
icm102delayschem.gif

green_tea

QUESTION!

If i plan on getting some new ballasts soon, should i go for 600W and just wait for the CMH 600W bulb to come out? Basically 400W isn't viable for a 3200W flip flop system.
(forget about running 8 ducts)

EDIT: so in short, anybody know the ETA for the 600 / 1000W CMH bulbs?

simba

Sleeping Dragon
dont get your hopes up on any thing over 400 for a while..

17 min is fine.. perfect.. (if aircooled only 10 minutes needed)
what brand model timer.how much...

Hanyz

Hi all :wave:

I read only circa 15 pages at the start of thread, so sorry if the next issue is somewhere....

See the Spectral Power Distribution diagrams. There is a vertical axis with "Relative Energy" label instead of physical unit (usually mW per square metr per 5nm per 1000W (metrical system)). IMHO that means the both vertical axis are not in ratio 1:1

The fact confirming my theory is amount of lumen output. Many of you surely know that lumens are connected to human eyes sensitivity and the peak of sensitivity is at 555nm (search Luminosity function on Wikipedia). So if diagram of CMH is "better" in area around 555nm, amount of lumens should be bigger, but it is not. Actually it is much lower. CHM has circa 29000 lumens, Philips SON-T pia Green Power (popular among Czech growers) has 58500 lumens. So the different ratio of axis looks like "bussiness trick"...:pimp3:

However... Did someone compare HPS and CHM bulbs in the absolutely same setup? The same room, the same variety etc. .... I expect it is somewhere in this thread but I cannot find it :confused:

Post scriptum- Sorry for mistakes. I am not native english speaker. :cuss: So I hope my description is clear...

EDIT: It is not possible to put URLs on ICmag? :frown:

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Hanz,, ya the LPW, Lumen is a PITA>. great thought though..

when we compare and show any light source (MH, HPS, CFL, Halogen, vs CMH)
they all have higher lumen rating vs the cmh but everyone has said cmh is WAY brighter.. (take any hps users here that switched to CMH they will tell you they think the cmh is brighter to look at.. at same wattages..

your right we peak sensitivity at xx nm but during day its diff than at night.. just a bit..
During day we see red better at night we see blues better..
the Horti lamps are the business trick.. IE high lumens = good plant growth LOL>.
im bout to run out so ill edit later today to try to explain better..
also a side example not hard numbers but same idea..
take 10 watts of energy at 600nm and then take 2-3 watts at 650nm the 3 watt plant will be bigger better its all about what nm ranges the light is at.. IE 650 can take in less but still output same growth.. (dont take out of context)

look at the EYE horti Blue with crappier Tech specs yet higher price (it would be a good lamp if it was cmh not wannabe-REDMH as i call it..they say its perfect for plants.. They would promote cmh if they had it for good profit..

Hanyz

simba- first... what does acronym LPW mean?

I probably know what you mean by different effect at different nm range. Something what you can see in the next picture, right? (plant activity spectrum line)

EDIT: I still cannot add picture (or any other URL) to my posts.... probably because of low amount of post... you can find it in my gallery

Last edited:

MPL

Hey I've checked out the Czech grow site. Very impressive grows in there.

Hanyz said:
simba- first... what acronym LPW means?

I probably know what you mean by different effect at different nm range. Something what you can see in the next picture, right? (plant activity spectrum line)

EDIT: I still cannot add picture (or any other URL) to my posts.... probably because of low amount of post... you can find it in my gallery

A

Azeotrope

Sammet,

It seems that the biggest market for 600w lighting is the horticultural market. At least in the U.S. That makes me wonder if they are not interested in pumping out the 600wers because they are not even marketing the 400wers in the horticultural market yet.

JungleBoi

Hanyz said:
simba- first... what does acronym LPW mean?

LPW = Lumens per Watt

przcvctm

simba-It's a Mars brand, solid state 10 amp max delay($41.00) and an Idec RH1B-ULAC120v relay($6.60).

Last edited:
U

UBER21

Simba I was reading a good half of this thread and mad props to you and AZ....I am deff purchasing the phillip 150w 4000k protective bulb as it seems like the best one on the market...but I still have questions on the ballast.?...Will a 150w security light mh fixture with internal ballast work with the phillip cmh bulb.....I have seen these fixtures with an enclosed ballast at the local home depot and was wondering if remote ballasted would work well with the cmh bulb? Im thinking as long as the ansi codes match everything should be good right?

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
uber,,
actually i just saw some Mh units at HD yesterday i was rather surprised but i was in a hurry so i couldn't thoroughly check out the wattages and ballasts.. as i was looking at that sexy Ridged Mini Drill.. needed something fast.. Dam 10yr Old Dewalt batteries just died..
but ya if you can match up Ansi codes then your golden..
most 39-100 watt Mh will be pulsed start.. some 150 i have found are not.. So i cant guarantee a 150 without the ansi..

Sammet

Med grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Azeotrope said:
Sammet,

It seems that the biggest market for 600w lighting is the horticultural market. At least in the U.S. That makes me wonder if they are not interested in pumping out the 600wers because they are not even marketing the 400wers in the horticultural market yet.

Ta for the reply. I'd switch over to CMH if they did a 600W but unfortunately I only have a 600W hps ballast. I'll just be patient and perservere with my hps.

U

UBER21

simba said:
uber,,
actually i just saw some Mh units at HD yesterday i was rather surprised but i was in a hurry so i couldn't thoroughly check out the wattages and ballasts.. as i was looking at that sexy Ridged Mini Drill.. needed something fast.. Dam 10yr Old Dewalt batteries just died..
but ya if you can match up Ansi codes then your golden..
most 39-100 watt Mh will be pulsed start.. some 150 i have found are not.. So i cant guarantee a 150 without the ansi..

Thanx Simba..... I was glancing thru on other stuff too...lol... when I said let me take a look at the security lights...Most are hps but a few that I saw were mh....and I remember seeing a few at 100w and 150w I have to write down the ansi codes to make sure they match....Simba are the ansi codes from the site you posted reliable to use in checking for the right ballast? I will write them down and use them in making the purchase for either the 100 or 150w ballast....Also if not do you have a recommended site to purchase the ballast for a 100w 150w mh...thanx bro....

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Two questions:

1) I have a 2x4x8 foot closet and my head says to buy 2x250w HPS ballasts and using the CMH lamps, but my heart says bigger is better and to jump up to 2x400w'ers. Taking into consideration that these lamps run a bit cooler than equivalent HPS wattages how much more difficult would it be to keep temps within an acceptable range if I were to upgrade to 400w'ers?

2) I am currently building a PC micro cab for a bonsai mom. Would a 50w CMH lamp be too much juice for her (i.e. pushing her to grow outside a "bonsai" size) or would I be better off using CFL's?

I understand that many variables come in to play with such broad generalities. But if anyone would like to share their opinions or thoughts on either or both questions it would be a kindness to one of the blissfully ignorant.

Namaste, mess

P.S. Welcome back Azeotrope it is nice to meet you. You and Simba have done the ICMag community a great service. Thanks!

Last edited: