What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Azeotrope

Veteran
I changed from a 315w cmh to 320w leds. Not looking back. I did like the cmh, but leds are just so much more efficient. I get over 300 umol/s more light at the same wattage.

You are not getting the same kind of spectral coverage and that is important if you want your plants to really reach full potential.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I'm actually in the process of running my first plants under led after switching from 630 nanolux(3100/4100mix) to hlg 550rspec. So far the plants under it love it

Dandelo

so far im sold on CMH over LED, gotta think about longevity and maintenance. Do you know how to tell when one of the thousands of diodes is underperforming, how do you replace the diodes when they start to deteriorate or fail completely?

Dandelo

not to say there arent some kickass LED fixtures/options out there now, like some others said I just dont have that kind of $ to throw around.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
so far im sold on CMH over LED, gotta think about longevity and maintenance. Do you know how to tell when one of the thousands of diodes is underperforming, how do you replace the diodes when they start to deteriorate or fail completely?

I dunno. My light is made up of four boards with 308 leds each. One board costs 100€ now, which is less than a philips 315 agro. I run my boards soft and at 320w I produce 900umol while a 315 philips agro produces 590umol. I can lose quite a few leds before the efficacy drops to cmh levels and a board costs less than a bulb. In a few years those leds will cost very little. Leds have surpassed hid in every respect other than startup cost. CMH and HPS are, of course, every bit as good as they were a couple of years ago, it's just that leds are more energy efficient.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
That's what I looked at when I made the switch. Any light you go with is going to have an upfront cost but after the first cycle it's paid for and everything after that is what you save on it. If I can run the same quantity /quality for 100 watts less per fixture that's good for me.

Horselover Fat

Veteran
That's what I looked at when I made the switch. Any light you go with is going to have an upfront cost but after the first cycle it's paid for and everything after that is what you save on it. If I can run the same quantity /quality for 100 watts less per fixture that's good for me.

My grow is limited by space (2x4) and by power consumption. I can't really use much more than 300w or temps become hard to control. For me it's not so much about saving money in electricity, but producing the most with the resources available.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
The only LED fixtures worth any consideration at this point are the FLUENCE line by Sylvania.

I beg to disagree with you old boy.
These things are changing rapidly.
I am using this (these) with great success. Unbelievablely bright. The brightest I have ever seen The plants adore this. Cheap enough to try.

Ahh man. Thinking about CMH takes me back in time on this forum. The old retrowhite 400, the 860w cmh...both with high CRI's. Then the 315w came along...the agro...and that was nice. Now Philips is pushing LED's for cannabis (philips if I remember, shunned cannabis before it was becoming legalized)...and LED's seem to everywhere. Where has the time gone.

FCDobbs

Im getting ready to do a grow after a long absence. I have a 4x4x8 area I can use. DWC is what I am doing. Im really looking at Growers Choice master pursuit 1000w cmh. The last grow I did was with the original 400w cmh conversion bulb. Has anyone used this light? This is NOT the DE system.

Thanks for any input other than buy an led.......

The 315w agro is pretty much the best lamp(or one of the best) for cannabis. But it's lacking in UV. It's damage rating is next to nothing.

So maybe, it's not really the best lamp for cannabis.

The Philips MP1000 metal halide rocks (as an all the way through lamp)...with a good temp of 3500k and high UV output. Plus it's protected for open fixture. :) I just finished a run with it and the buds are gooey and sticky and turned purple. Awesome!
https://www.usa.lighting.philips.co...etal-halide-protected/928601179601_NA/product

Last edited:

FCDobbs

The 315w agro is pretty much the best lamp(or one of the best) for cannabis. But it's lacking in UV. It's damage rating is next to nothing.

So maybe, it's not really the best lamp for cannabis.

The Philips MP1000 metal halide rocks (as an all the way through lamp)...with a good temp of 3500k and high UV output. Plus it's protected for open fixture. :) I just finished a run with it and the buds are gooey and sticky and turned purple. Awesome!
https://www.usa.lighting.philips.co...etal-halide-protected/928601179601_NA/product

Uh yeah. probably not gonna go with a straight metal halide. Given this is a CMH thread I was looking more for input on different CMH lights. Thanks though.

Uh yeah. probably not gonna go with a straight metal halide. Given this is a CMH thread I was looking more for input on different CMH lights. Thanks though.

There's really only one. The Philips CDM 315w agro. It was the original and the best. I was on these forums way back when it first came out. No other manufacturer puts out a comparable lamp. The 400 watt retrowhite cmh was nice too, but you can't find them anymore.

https://growershouse.com/philips-mastercolor-cdm-elite-315w-cmh-agro-lamp-t12-3100k

FCDobbs

you could be right. I have the original 400 watt Phillips conversion bulb. I was very happy with it which is why I am now looking at the dual 500 from Growers Choice. It can be dialed down if it turns out to be too much light for a 4x4.

you could be right. I have the original 400 watt Phillips conversion bulb. I was very happy with it which is why I am now looking at the dual 500 from Growers Choice. It can be dialed down if it turns out to be too much light for a 4x4.

I would be kinda worried about the longevity of the technology....before investing too much money. That's why I like Philips...their tech tends to at least hang around for a while...and why I like standard metal halide.

I've never heard of a 500w ceramic metal halide. I know it's not a philips lamp (at least as far as I know). How long will the bulb be available for? etc. The Philips MP1000 is my choice for now, for 4' x 4' as a good metal halide for cannabis. I don't use a tent. Nice lamp...lots around...standard tech.

If and when I convert to LED it will be Philips specially designed agro.

I kinda get the feeling the 315w agro has been discontinued...although I may be wrong. If it has been it might be good to stock up on a half a dozen. I would try to source and original lamp and ballast. The 315w lamp had a specially designed orange electronic ballast...low frequency.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Ad...719501?hash=item3da8aa040d:g:BWgAAOSwQwRfLe83

I don't know what other OEM's are using.

Last edited:

FCDobbs

https://www.growersc.com/mp1000

This is the fixture. I do have some concerns about longevity. I thought maybe I'd get a couple extra sets of bulbs. given they are rated at 20k hrs and I only grow occasionally it should last a while.

I do believe cmh will be around a while. The spectrum is good. what should have died out a long time ago is HPS. shit spectrum with 1000 watts pushing it through. I would love to see some real comparisons of 1000w cmh vs hps. At the end of the day I guess most any light will grow. its just what you are comfortable with.