What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

D

Drek

Hi JH.

Yeah, you wanna avoid looking at the arc. :) It saturates the retina real fast.

Nice of him to eat the mistake. They look like fantastic lamps, all things being equal. They're listed as 4k/3700k technical, and the price is excellent. They're still listed on amazon at $120 ea!

D

Drek

Day 53

Trifoliate
picture.php

nr nodes

Thought I should post about my ongoing deal acquiring six 330 cdm's from Ebay, posted earlier. After the USPS hammered the first batch, the guy reshipped to make up the difference, but he shipped three 860's by mistake. I offered to pay for 'em, too, but he came back with another apology, told me to keep 'em & has re-re-shipped three 330's.

He's a Prince & will receive excellent feedback when this all finishes up. Making it right when things go bad is a lot harder than when it goes well from the start.

I test fired the 860's last night. Dunno how it relates to PAR value, but they are extremely bright in terms of what the eye sees, that same sort of golden sunshine as the 330's. I barely glanced at the pigeon egg sized ceramic element, had a white spot in my vision for at least 10 minutes or so. With free $100 lamps, I may have to buy a vert hood for my scheduled rework.

My autoflowers for seed project isn't quite what I'd hoped. The 330 worked well in veg, I think, but the promix ultimate seed starter mix sux- there's very little nutrition in it. I'll go back to light warrior next time. Then I up-potted to recycled soil that I made too hot, got clawing & some tip burn, flushed 'em rather thoroughly. They're under the dual arc now. Yield won't be very good, but I don't really need it, anyway. I'll pick the best male in a few days, segregate him to delay pollination. I'll have f1's of Spyder & (Ultraviolet X Spyder) for the future.
What ballasts are you using for the 860s?

Jhhnn

Veteran

Jhhnn

Veteran
Received the re-replacement 330's today & they all tested good. The seller really did right by me & his ebay feedback reflects that. A truly stand-up guy.

D

Drek

I grabbed a box of those 860's as well JH. Too cheap not to buy.
They're like the BMW of halides for next to nothing. lol.

D

Drek

I think the sun systems is a better purchase, imho. The parkade lamps contain used ballasts and those fixtures are designed for permanent mounting, not for horti use. For a buck and a half more I'd prefer the Sun unit.

D

Drek

Durban Poison - 57 Days with seeds.

More seeds appearing than I expected! :) Little buggers...and maturing at different rates. I figure another week or two? Plants are just getting water now, but are still good and healthy. It's good to let the seeds mature I think; the mature ones are bigger and look better. Could've grown them out a bit more in veg(they're around 30" in height), but I wasn't quite sure how they would react when being switched over; these plants didn't stretch at all, so that's good to know. The buds are pretty dense. No complaints about the Retro; good lamp; could use a better reflector tho.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
I think the sun systems is a better purchase, imho. The parkade lamps contain used ballasts and those fixtures are designed for permanent mounting, not for horti use. For a buck and a half more I'd prefer the Sun unit.

I see 'em in pairs or in fours, mounted to a long square collar around a drilled vertical 4x4 with a cable come-along & a pulley. In the right space, they could be cranked up & down with ease. Slip a steel pin through the 4x4 under the collar at whatever height you want.

They'd be no hotter than non-vent hoods & hard to break. Gotta have 240v, however.

Do they have some new pricing out? They were substantially higher than that when first introduced.

i spoke to flip sheridan over there. super nice guy, and very willing to discuss room design, and various elements of a build out. i took a look and can't find my notes from the conversation, but that's the number i recall, and am fairly confident its an accurate quote he gave me.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i spoke to flip sheridan over there. super nice guy, and very willing to discuss room design, and various elements of a build out. i took a look and can't find my notes from the conversation, but that's the number i recall, and am fairly confident its an accurate quote he gave me.

I've spoken with Flip a number of times, starting back before the release of the reflector, and he is indeed a very nice guy. I'm glad to see that they are getting more competitive - I think that they have a hell of a product if you can deal with the heat from an open fixture. He was doing preliminary work on an enclosed, vented hood also, and I would really like to see that one released.

i subscribe to the open fixtures and cooling the room school of thought. i see it as the less spectrum altering, lumen/umol blocking material between bulb and leaf the better.

D

Drek

I like open fixture too, but I have A/C and constant fresh air coming in to the area, and another small fan moving things around as well.

Latest posts

Latest posts