What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Curious as to how hot they get, safety, good brands, etc.

Also, interested the Boulder set up vs the LEC...

All opinions are appreciated

They get pretty damn hot. If you've ever used a magnetic ballast, it is a transformer in there that is generating the heat. They are completely safe if set up properly - transformers are one of the most widespread electrical components used, and are in almost every electrical device. There are probably hundreds of good brands, and just as many cheap offshore ones. You can sometimes find some excellent quality industrial gear on eBay, but you would usually have to package it up - most small transformers are open frame but there are some that come in factory enclosures.

Amazon has some pretty cheap (very!) "voltage converters" that are already packaged and ready to go, but I would want to substantially oversize them because of their origins. The link below will take you to one that would probably work for one 315w ballast.

http://www.amazon.com/Goldsource%C2%AE-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-ST500/dp/B0022QOSDK/ref=pd_sim_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0F1H6EE8C1G0DSA4MMSK

On another note, I see that Welthink is offering a 120/240v ballast for the 315 on Amazon & eBay that has a pretty damn stiff price. They are around $450 for a ballast, lamp, and base adapter. The Welthink led fixtures seem to be pretty good units from the reports that I've seen from their users.

Last edited:
D

Drek

Hey Rives

Man your grows have been sweet; your canopy is always so even!

You're an Electrician? I'm HVAC refrigeration, and heating.

What setup are you using these days, still the 315's?

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you.

Yes, I'm an electrician. I'm currently set up with 315s - (2) in a 4x4 tent, and (1) in a 30" x 30", and I use the "VolksLED" in my sig for vegging. I've been meaning to pick up one of the 942 versions of the 315 to try vegging under, but haven't gotten around to it yet. It'll have a tough chore beating the Volks, but sometimes I need to cover more area and I haven't gotten around to assembling my satellite LEDs either!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the link. Nope, hadn't heard of X5 being used in that manner, I think that HGL has some X5 lenses though. I've slowed way down on following the LED tech. I think that the white spectrum works better for the plants (and certainly for me!), and it is one hell of a lot more expensive to make white light with LEDs than it is the 315.

redclover

If you guys are interested in LEDs I can get you a very nice deal on Area 51s. They're made for horticulture, great spectrums, warranty, descent coverage, and CREE QUALITY!!! I'm going 2 white and 2 red/blue panels. I can have more coverage and efficiency for less money than several 315 kits I will miss that UV, but I could always supplement. Hopefully down the road these kits will be a good value.

D

Drek

CMH lamps hardly emit any significant UV, afaik. UV rays hurt people, and Philips can't have that. Their spectrum and intensity together, are what make them akin to sunlight. There might be a little UV in there, but not much.

I for one do not want to use a grow light that will burn my eyes out, no matter what the effect on plants. Wear sunglasses or don't look directly at the arc tube. :cool:

L

Luther Burbank

The consensus these days is UV causes damage as opposed to growing a better plant.

D

Drek

Radiation definitely causes damage, however, the plant has mechanisms for both blocking and utilizing that radiation. So radiation is both a good and bad thing.

Humans generate much needed vitamin D (not as available through other means) from solar radiation, but are also burnt by it. A plant without UV (indoor vs outdoor) would be lacking imho.

Optimal outdoors is the best, harmful radiation and all.

e_24

Thanks, miles. That's steep. They're trying to market a miracle, A Miracle, I tell You! and I doubt it's all that. Old Craigslisters like me are going to be using 330w CMH bulbs from Advanced on scrapped out industrial 400w MH ballasts for some while, I think. Or just sticking with what we've got. In a coupla years, a coupla Benjamins should net them regular off Craigslist. They have strange powers, those Benjamins.

As a hobbyist, I'd have to be nuts. I got kids to feed! Big ones, too, eat everything in sight.

Thank you sir! Just what I needed. It's good to know all I need os a magnetic metal halide ballast to run the330!

Got to see the 315 at my local shop. 699 for the 315w sunlight supply version, and 599 for the 220w? Veersion. Steep

I would love to have their reflector though, it looks well thought out on vertical bulb placement.

Jhhnn

Veteran
Wow, somebody is hoping to make a killing by combining an $80 ballast, a $70 lamp, and a $15 adapter for a mere $450.

It would be good to get feedback from somebody that is using one. As I mentioned above, their LED fixtures always looked pretty good.

I think they may have misquoted the price of the ballast to LargePrime. It's the only thing that makes sense.

The sale price from advanced lighting looks like about the best deal currently available-

http://advancedtechlighting.com/cdmmw.htm

Genuine Philips ballast & mogul base bulb. Add a lamp cord receptacle, power cord & step up transformer- the latter only if you don't have 240v.

I wonder about the efficiency of step up transformers, about how much using one would negate the power saving advantages.

Fortunately, I can use 240v- been planning on it- and I'd really like to reduce system heat output. OTOH, the brute force approach w/ my current 1000w system is hard to set aside, as is the fact that it's paid for.

D

Drek

CMH lamps hardly emit any significant UV, afaik. UV rays hurt people, and Philips can't have that. Their spectrum and intensity together, are what make them akin to sunlight. There might be a little UV in there, but not much.

I for one do not want to use a grow light that will burn my eyes out, no matter what the effect on plants. Wear sunglasses or don't look directly at the arc tube. :cool:

I'd like to amend this post by saying that I honestly don't know at what distances Philips takes their UV readings...maybe not at 12 in. So, I would still be careful around these lights in terms of retinal burn, with us being so close to them.

Anyone have any other data on actual UVA/B output up close to these lights? (retro white and/or 315 watt) Even though these lights are protected, it does feel like there is some damage potential up close.

Jhhnn

Veteran
The glass stops most harmful UV. Inline aquarium water UV sterilizers have quartz tubes for that reason. Def don't run a bulb where the outer envelope is compromised.

I think they may have misquoted the price of the ballast to LargePrime. It's the only thing that makes sense.
nope.
Go on alibaba and find welthink and send them a RFQ. First they will say 50, then 80 once you explain its a Low freq square wave electronic ballast.

Also that was a order of 20.

redclover

I've read that our special ladies produce even more trichomes to protect themselves from harmful UV. Don't know if that's just a myth. I've grown with every type of indoor light, and CMH gives me the most resin. I don't know if it's from genetics, UV, more blue, or all of the above...

Jhhnn

Veteran
nope.
Go on alibaba and find welthink and send them a RFQ. First they will say 50, then 80 once you explain its a Low freq square wave electronic ballast.

Also that was a order of 20.

You kinda forgot to mention the discount for quantity earlier....

Latest posts

Latest posts