What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Jhhnn

Veteran
It's a damn good idea to stick within NEMA standards to protect yourself from the short-term memory impairment that we all court on here (sockets that match the lamp application, in this case). Also, I would be less concerned about UV than the bulb exploding/potential fire danger. The internal pressures are extremely high in CMH lamps, and they have the potential to go off like a grenade, complete with high-temperature shrapnel.

Yep, tell it the way it is- the fire danger is too high. Bet it'd really get going good with a vent fan feeding it fresh air. Yowser!

Plan for the worst, be grateful when it doesn't happen. Stick with open rated bulbs in open fixtures.

I dunno if my homeowners' policy covers me if my grow burns the house down, & I don't want to find out.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Raveshing Rives,
How far from canopy would you put an LEC with a 930 Agro? I do have a light mover collecting dust atm.

I've never run the 315s without a lens on the hood, so I don't know how much that helps protect the plant, but my plants have gotten within a couple of inches of the lens when I ran out of headroom and had no ill effects. I think that if you keep the LEC high enough above the plant to get decent light distribution, it will work fine. I try and keep mine 12"-16" above the tops, and it seems to work well. In my big tent, they need a little more clearance to reach the edges, while the small tent can run closer to the fixture.

hey I am all for safety. I got a sprinkler system in my grow room.

But
1) We don't even have a source for PGZX18 sockets in the US that I am aware of. Do we?
2) Red was talking about making a move right away, and I was talking to him.

But ya, if you are thinking of running the t9 bulbs, you need a protected fixture. If running naked vert, run a t12.

redclover

But
1) We don't even have a source for PGZX18 sockets in the US that I am aware of. Do we?

But ya, if you are thinking of running the t9 bulbs, you need a protected fixture. If running naked vert, run a t12.

True. I like the T12s with more UV. The pgzx18 socket from cycloptics looks like the terminator.

spachal

Veteran
Hallo, I have a question about Philips 315W and reflector. Do you think that I can use reflector like adjust-a-wings with this lamp?

I orderd from ATS combo 315Watt ED37 variant, but I don't know which shape and how big reflector I can use. There is cheaper copy of adjust-a-wings reflector in local stores: http://www.waveflector.cz/index.php (Waveflector XL), size 50 x 66 x 15 cm, with ED40 (should be compatibile with ED37).

Do you think that this kind of reflector is 'suitable' for Philips 315 lights? Thanks for info! :]

Bump .. What kind of reflector are you using for 315w? Is it possible to use adjust-a-wing reflector type, will I need heatshield/diffuser also?
Thanks for your help! :]

Bump .. What kind of reflector are you using for 315w? Is it possible to use adjust-a-wing reflector type, will I need heatshield/diffuser also?
If you go back a few pages you can see rives using a 600W reflector.

The problem with a 315W horizontal mount make a hot spot directly under the bulb. Not a big problem, but...

spachal

Veteran
Thanks! :] I didn't noticed that post from rives, but there is really a lot of pages in this thread, so I missed this post ..

So if I'll use this wing reflector and diffuser, probably I can eliminate hot spot? Till today I used only LEDs, so I have no experience with MH/HPS, please excuse my newbie questions .. :]

redclover

You didn't ask, but for posterity...

This run is t12's in reflector wings, and if the plant gets within 4" i get bleaching.

I would personally start bare vert at 6" with T12 and 3' with LEC. If I can keep my 5x5 cool enough during summer, then I'll just stick with the 860w.

I'd also like to supplement with some red dominate LEDs above plants, while keeping vert bulb in middle of canopy.

dojoking

Does anyone sell the dPapillon 315W ( http://www.epapillon.com/index.php/products/d-papillon ) in the United States? I can't seem to find a distributor any where online. I am interested in this particular reflector design specifically. It looks like it would be very efficient with getting heat up and out of a cabinet design i am thinking about using.

Also, does anyone think that there will be an issue with heat in an non-air cooled 2'wx4'Lx6.5'H cabinet with 4"(3) exhaust fans pushing out the top of the cabinet? A cabinet design similar to this http://www.actechwi.com/product-p/brn-700p.htm

redclover

Does anyone sell the dPapillon 315W ( http://www.epapillon.com/index.php/products/d-papillon ) in the United States? I can't seem to find a distributor any where online. I am interested in this particular reflector design specifically. It looks like it would be very efficient with getting heat up and out of a cabinet design i am thinking about using.

Also, does anyone think that there will be an issue with heat in an non-air cooled 2'wx4'Lx6.5'H cabinet with 4"(3) exhaust fans pushing out the top of the cabinet? A cabinet design similar to this http://www.actechwi.com/product-p/brn-700p.htm

The paps spread light out too much. They'd be awesome paired up.

dojoking

The paps spread light out too much. They'd be awesome paired up.

I thought the same about pairing two of them up but. I figured the heat with two 315w bulbs might be to much for the cabinet i mentioned in the previous post considering it will just have intake and exhaust fans not hooked up to a cooling system. The room it will be in will probably have an ambient temp around 70 F.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gonna try and clear some things up, or how I see thingss ( my opinion ) , take it or leave it, fine with me..

Raveshing Rives,
How far from canopy would you put an LEC with a 930 Agro? I do have a light mover collecting dust atm.

depends on factors such as room size, plant canopy at that grow.

I think it's collecting dust for a reason.. simplicity always wins, never seen where it's "benefited" to be not simple.. over simple setups. "less shit the better" I say

But

yes, type in google for suppliers

you can use any reflector given you have the right socket / can mount it, and DIY improvise if need be ( that I mean drilling holes to line up with the socket holes to attach.. )

I think diffusers are a waste of time, but never measured them, as I didn't have a meter when I did have one

If you go back a few pages you can see rives using a 600W reflector.

The problem with a 315W horizontal mount make a hot spot directly under the bulb. Not a big problem, but...

technically a 250/400/600 watt model ( bell lighting )

Thanks! :] I didn't noticed that post from rives, but there is really a lot of pages in this thread, so I missed this post ..

So if I'll use this wing reflector and diffuser, probably I can eliminate hot spot? Till today I used only LEDs, so I have no experience with MH/HPS, please excuse my newbie questions .. :]

think more heat..

I wouldn't worry too much about hot spots.. just get growing, you can always add one later if you really want

there is a distributor

I think there will be a high heat level you don't want.. I would suggest, moving to a tent with an inline if an inline doesn't fit in your cab. you could also possibly run it on the dimmer to lower heat load. kinda odd cabinet size I think for looking at CDM.. I would run 2x CDM at 200 watts each in that area.. perfect fit if you get an inline.. otherwise, kinda an odd space, as there will be one side with totally lost reflected light ( I think maximizing a space really helps for efficiency / better return of investment )

Just found out that the dpapillon is sold in the states but only works on 220v. So now I am looking at piecing together a reflector, Philips 315W Green Power CDM-TP (formerly the 3100K ceramic metal halide lamp, and ballast. Leaning towards the "Gavita Triplestar 600" at the moment. http://sunlightsupply.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/product/906005_Tech-Guide.pdf

amazon.com .. voltage converter, unless you have 220 nearby to plug into..

if you build you still need a voltage converter regardless..

I don't know what is required as far as the ballast is concerned. It looks like more reading is needed.

well you need 600 volt SO wire cord ( did I get that right rives? ) to run from socket to ballast, power cord, voltage converter, PGZ socket, bulb, reflector.. and if you want dimming, need a I think it's a 10 volt power supply, dimmer knob.

Latest posts

Latest posts