What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

jdubz206

microwido -

That sounds like a great setup. Go for it, you should get some nice buds out of that system. As far as a reflector goes, it really depends if you need an AC reflector or non-AC. Eco Enterprise has a nice selection of reflectors: http://www.ecogrow.com/index.cfm/page/43/mid/8/nid/34/Reflectors.html

If you're interested in AC reflector, definitely check out the "Air cooled reflector testing w\digital footcandle meter" thread by Pico: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=51325&highlight=air+cooled+footcandle

simba

Sleeping Dragon
i have to chime in on reflectors NO to Hydrofarm. Yes to PL, sunlight supply SS1 original, unifier, SS2 Original yes to some HTG Copies of PL..
lately we kinda keen on the SS SS1 original (for aircooled or not), and unifier (for non aircooled) from sunlight supply..those are both Rectangle layout 4 under a 400 cmh no worries..

SuperSun Original (make sure you get side non dimpled and with external Socket) you dont want dimpled sides to a reflector.. (for more Penetration)
http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/...R_SUN_REFLECTOR&title=Reflectors&type=product

Last edited:
M

Microwido

jdubz206 said:
microwido -

That sounds like a great setup. Go for it, you should get some nice buds out of that system. As far as a reflector goes, it really depends if you need an AC reflector or non-AC. Eco Enterprise has a nice selection of reflectors: http://www.ecogrow.com/index.cfm/page/43/mid/8/nid/34/Reflectors.html

If you're interested in AC reflector, definitely check out the "Air cooled reflector testing w\digital footcandle meter" thread by Pico: http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=51325&highlight=air+cooled+footcandle

Thank you, TY, TY! Ok I am going to go with Non-AC. 2 more questions;

1. Since I cannot post links, should I get the Maxwing reflector, or the Max-Light reflector at HTGsupply?

2. Should I get the Metal Halide or HPS Ballast? The Metal Halide is cheaper, but I was told to use the HPS.

Thanks in advance!!

Naturally

simba said:
i have to chime in on reflectors NO to Hydrofarm. Yes to PL, sunlight supply SS1 original, unifier, SS2 Original yes to some HTG Copies of PL..
lately we kinda keen on the SS SS1 original (for aircooled or not), and unifier (for non aircooled) from sunlight supply..those are both Rectangle layout 4 under a 400 cmh no worries..

SuperSun Original (make sure you get side non dimpled and with external Socket) you dont want dimpled sides to a reflector.. (for more Penetration)
http://nationalgardenwholesale.com/...R_SUN_REFLECTOR&title=Reflectors&type=product
simba, are you saying the CMH's wont work in the Hydrofarm Radiant 8" AC hoods ?

Also there okay to run in 6" cool tubes, right ?

Thanx

M

Microwido

FreezerBoy said:
If you're using CMH bulbs, you want an HPS magnetic core ballast.

TY!

I have one last question before my purchase.

1. Since I cannot post links, should I get the Maxwing reflector, or the Max-Light reflector at HTGsupply?

hurricane

Naturally said:
simba, are you saying the CMH's wont work in the Hydrofarm Radiant 8" AC hoods ?

Also there okay to run in 6" cool tubes, right ?

Thanx

They will work just fine. Simba's just saying in his experience and testing, the hoods he mentioned give him the light throw he wants. I have a daystar AC 6" hood covering a 3x3 area, but its likely not optimal as the hood emits a roughly 3.5'x4.5' pattern. Any hood will work, its just a mater of how evenly and what shape the reflected light lands in. Take note that the highest rated CMH is 400W, so if you already have the 8" hood great, but i would guess even a 4" air cooled hood, if not in series with other hoods, would be fine. Cooltubes are also not suggested, they are best at removing heat which wont be a huge issue(although still needs to be managed, just not like a 600HPS)

Hurricane

Last edited:

Poker_Toker

Hey simba how is the Phillips Metal halide 4200K Master Color compare with this cmh? its the only bulb i can get local around the 4000k.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
the philips master color cmh is ours.in a few ways. and NOT what you want for a few reasons..
the standard master color runs on MH pulsed ballasts (not what everyone has) and more restrictions than hps retrowhites
Not open fixture rated unless you get the protected version and on the Larger wattages they WILL cut more UV.. (HPS doesnt cut uv like them)

HPS retro whites are allot easier to deal with as they are Standard HPS Glass jackets IE fits in ALL reflectors that are out for HPS.. the standard Master colors are Large Jacketed Like standard M400u Not small.. and later if you do choose to go away from CMH (you wont) but that MHP wont do any good on HPS.. (worse case you can use a hps ballast again for flower)

adv tech sells all Philips Master color CMH lamps but for Horti they only suggest the cdm250 or cdm400 for horti.. for 20-150 Protected is Recommended/ really Pushed.. Safety is always #1 concern

K means nothing so i couldnt say to that..

Last edited:

jdubz206

I thought there was a problem with my ballast, turns out the bulb I just bought is broken or something. It won't fire up and was just flickering. It was really working the ballast too. I'm returning the bulb tomorrow.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
what kind of flickering how long did it go for..
like 5 seconds what exactly it do to ya...

jdubz206

it wouldn't flicker to it's normal bright light, it would just flicker extremely fast. when i looked at the actual bulb, inside the arc tube it looked like a single bolt of electricity or lightning just flickering around. i popped my old hps bulb in and it turned right on.

G

Length of wire from ballast to hood/bulb? Age/Quality of ignitor? You need to remember or realize that the CMH takes a good kick.

just recieved my CMH bulb, came fast for sure and was packaged well. Bulb looks great nothing broken, going to fire it up today so I will let you guys know how it goes. ;) I am excited.

jdubz206 said:
it wouldn't flicker to it's normal bright light, it would just flicker extremely fast. when i looked at the actual bulb, inside the arc tube it looked like a single bolt of electricity or lightning just flickering around. i popped my old hps bulb in and it turned right on.
Same thing happened to me. I sent mine back and hopefully a new one will fix it. If not then it has to be the ballast/ingitor/length of cord, etc.
How far from the hood is your ballast? The bummer about this is that I'm using the length of cord that was supplied with the ballast.

JohnnyToke

1st CMH Harvest Today

1st CMH Harvest Today

My 1st grow under CMH concluded today. 4 clones under 2 x 400 cmh's.

2 plants had a few seeds on lower branches from hermie banana action. :cuss: the other 2 are pure. :rasta:

a few shots.

M

Microwido

Johny that looks pretty sweet! What strain is that? Also, let us know what the dried weight is because I am going to use pretty much your setup with white widow and would like to know all that I can. I plan on doing 12 plants with 2 CMH 400w, and supplement with about 6 CFLS. What was your power bill like and how long did it take from start to finish.

Thanks for the info.