What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
i report my experience dude,isn't the sense of this 3d??
i don't have see these "impressing results" about the final product: much like cfl's buds...if the "great results" it's for the yeld(1gxw?) is another story..and i'm happy for you and your crew ;)

psyphish

Veteran
i report my experience dude,isn't the sense of this 3d??
i don't have see these "impressing results" about the final product: much like cfl's buds...if the "great results" it's for the yeld(1gxw?) is another story..and i'm happy for you and your crew ;)

Are you saying HPS would produce a better end product? Because that's just ridiculous. I just tested some Purple OG#18 yesterday that I gave cuts of to a friend, he grew it under a 600w hps and the weed didn't even get me high, as opposed to the 250w retro white grown plant that I took the cuts from. Also it barely had any smell or frost, even though he grew it in organic soil. He isn't a shitty grower so the only reason for the shit buds I can think of, is the HPS.

Are you saying HPS would produce a better end product? Because that's just ridiculous. I just tested some Purple OG#18 yesterday that I gave cuts of to a friend, he grew it under a 600w hps and the weed didn't even get me high, as opposed to the 250w retro white grown plant that I took the cuts from. Also it barely had any smell or frost, even though he grew it in organic soil. He isn't a shitty grower so the only reason for the shit buds I can think of, is the HPS.

that statement is equally ridiculous. ive seen plenty of herb test 20-25% under HPS. in the end,
we can only grow a plant as good as its genetic potential. the better your environment, the closer
you can get to 100% genetic potential. i've seen full potential from a well dialed environment and
HPS using the strains i run. ive smoked the same strains from a friend who was using CMH that weren't
as good. he was a good grower, but he hit some hiccups mid grow that limited the plant's development.
limited development or stalled plants don't always recover and finish their cycle in the time allotted for a grow.

psyphish

Veteran
that statement is equally ridiculous. ive seen plenty of herb test 20-25% under HPS. in the end,
we can only grow a plant as good as its genetic potential. the better your environment, the closer
you can get to 100% genetic potential. i've seen full potential from a well dialed environment and
HPS using the strains i run. ive smoked the same strains from a friend who was using CMH that weren't
as good. he was a good grower, but he hit some hiccups mid grow that limited the plant's development.
limited development or stalled plants don't always recover and finish their cycle in the time allotted for a grow.

Still, the most uninteresting/unmemorable dull highs I've experienced have always been from HPS grown buds. I don't think THC% should be the only indicator of quality. That said, I haven't smoked "medical grade" weed, because I'm in Finland. When I get to try good quality HPS grown weed I'll re-think my opinion.

C

Carbon.Chains

Still, the most uninteresting/unmemorable dull highs I've experienced have always been from HPS grown buds. I don't think THC% should be the only indicator of quality. That said, I haven't smoked "medical grade" weed, because I'm in Finland. When I get to try good quality HPS grown weed I'll re-think my opinion.

I really doubt the HPS is the problem here... :) perhaps it is just this strain that is better grown in your environment rather than your friends?
And indeed the %THC shouldn't be the sole indicator of high quality.
Possibly "the" dullest high I've had was from outdoors. (Imported "high quality" moroccan hash... Really not my cup of tea).
Yet I think we will both agree the sun can grow quite good plants.

Last edited:

psyphish

Veteran
I can't keep up with all these bulbs. Should I invest in a 942 Daylight or the new GreenPower? Would the GreenPower be noticeably better than the 930 "agro"?

Stoogots

Veteran
I can't keep up with all these bulbs. Should I invest in a 942 Daylight or the new GreenPower? Would the GreenPower be noticeably better than the 930 "agro"?

Obviously it depend on what you have to do...

942 Daylight for vegging only and i don't know how it works in flowering.
930 GreenPower or Agro for the whole cicle.

So far i have to say that i can't notice rilevant differences on plants flowering under the 2 different bulbs(GreenPowe /Agro)....but it's too soon.

What Kind of Ballast for 315w / 930's

What Kind of Ballast for 315w / 930's

We've used one of the now discontinued CMH bulbs in the past, and liked the results in a small grow space. ( The whole setup has been in storage for over a year. )

Either we can stock up on the old 400w bulbs ( if we can find them ) and use them when we set up another grow, ( whenever ) or convert the equipment to other uses ... ( ? ).

If we go with the newer, 315w bulbs, what kind of ballast is needed?

Can we use the same 400w HPS ballast we used with the CMH?

Do they run on any digital ballasts?

Do we need a special ballast from Philips?

dekabum

Veteran
Bass said:
Do we need a special ballast from Philips?

Yes you need a specific ballast for use a cmd 315 ..... search a "philips primavision" is a correct ballast for run with a cmd bulb (315watt) .... this ballast is much expensive ... but is a high performance elettronic/digital ballast.... the same is use in the dpapillon .....

I use this "new" dpapillon 315w in My grow .... is amazing .... :woohoo:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You will find prices ranging from about $80 to $500. I think that some of the astronomical ones are leftover stock from when they were first being introduced and the vendors are trying to recoup their losses. The T12 lamps are double-jacketed for use in open fixtures, the T9's should only be used in enclosed fixtures. There is a difference in the sockets also (PGZ18 vs PGZX18) so that the T9's cannot inadvertently be used in an open fixture.

I'm on the road and don't have access to my bookmarks at the moment, but you should be able to find the T12 Agro version for at/under a $100 if you look around. I doubt that there is a substantial difference between the older Agro's and the Green Power edition - there are more versions of these lamps than you can shake a stick at.

C

cannaisok

sry but where can i buy a pgzx18 lamp holder to connect the ballast with the 315/930? only can find on ali with min. order of 2000^^ any online shop in europe or the bay, i cant find anything... help me pls

fungzyme

sry but where can i buy a pgzx18 lamp holder to connect the ballast with the 315/930? only can find on ali with min. order of 2000^^ any online shop in europe or the bay, i cant find anything... help me pls

Had to go back to page 311 of this thread to find where it was mentioned , but
lightingsupply.com has it (or did when I got mine).

C

cannaisok

Thank you for fast reply! Does the pgz18 lampholder work with a pgzx18 bulb, did i understand that right? I found a philips ballast for 140€ and a agro930 bulb for 120€, i can get the diamond reflector or an aaw, do u think that would challenge the original dpalillon or at least come close to it? or should i just wait and get the original for chrismas=!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, the PGZ18 lampholder works with both the PGZ18 & the PGZX18 lamp configurations. You would need to exercise caution about using the T9 (PGZ18) lamps because they are only intended for use in an enclosed fixture, and fixture manufacturer's use the "X" configuration to insure that their liability is limited.

I can't help you with the reflector questions since I haven't used any of them. Habeeb may have some input on the dPapillon since he's been running a couple of them for a bit.

I don't know how shipping costs would impact things, but Cycloptics is selling the 315w Agro lamp for $120 (75€). https://www.cycloptics.com/415216

C

cannaisok

thanks again! I found cyclo too, but unfortunately they are shipping to canada and US only :-( the cheapest price in EU i found was like 109€+shipping, that is so stupid...
I wanted this setup like crazy since i heard of it 2months ago, but im not shure weather i should wait another month or two untill this lamps come to Europe finally... but i´m also afraid of paying 500€ ending up with bad results in a grow... i´m totaly against HID too and would never buy a set nowadays.
I have an led light with 126x3watts and x-lens in a 4x4closet and i tought a combination of AGRO bulb and led would rock the place. But all this problems with getting the parts together are annoying me a lot... sry 4 bad english i´m little angry bout myself
i spend so much time to find the right led light and now again only trouble with this lightning..
guess nobody can help me in that situation :p