What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Cali smoke

Azeotrope said:
Looks like you are off to a good start!! I might suggest that you just run the CMH the whole way through. Especially in the last 3wks when the blue and UV output of the CMH will help them resin/harden up. Much better than the HPS.

Is this recommended based on experience with testing two different grows out using the cmh and another with the HPS?

I've heard the exact opposite,
(from ***** forums)

"I'm kind of a big deal..."

Thunderlips420 on the way to the growroomThunderlips420 on the way to the growroomThunderlips420 on the way to the growroom
View user gallery
Default Why not CMH for flowering?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarcel
Hello,

After reading this thread, I've just ordered a 400W CMH for my first grow indoor, I will received it probably next week :)

I'm surprised that not a lot of growers have tested CMH !

Thunderlips420, why don't you recommend this bulb for flowering ?

Do you think an HPS will be better for flowering ??

Thank you very much !

(PS : sorry for my poor english, I'm French)

LEMARCEL-Well- I did something of an experiment. Mon Oncle grows to mirror each other's batches-and for my side of the test, I used one plant per the (4) my uncle grew. Based on the results, compaing yields, I would not recommend the CMH for flowering. I also did a single grow of GN Bubbilicious-and-although it was not BAD, it could have been better. I know, I am no perfect gardener, and my methods could be the worst-but imho, let the CMH do what it does best(according to *ahem* spec charts and merchants)-vegging.
I gave the same uncle three DP Blueberry plants recently-that grew 2 ft in three weeks. It may not sound like much, but I was impressed with the light for vegging. I used PBP Veg , and I kept the plants no closer than 8 inches from the light.

I am gathering my pics and such to document my current grow-FMS X line C99x GF. I used the CMH to veg them 3 .5 weeks, and now they are sitting under a 600w HPS with an elect. ballast. The plants vary in height-24,22,and 36 inches.

Bonne Chance
TL420

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
although i appreciate the comments.. jsut saying i don't recommend without data makes me wonder..

according to the specs its a flower lamp
if your calling it a veg lamp look at the EYE BLUE it would be the Veg lamp IE higher Blue to Red ratio (but at the cost the cmh more than makes up for lagin in veg.. (now dont go disecting that)

what was the end weight vs controll side.. (just asking..)

i have no qaums with peeps saying no good but only if they back it up with Hard evidence..

Cali smoke

simba said:
although i appreciate the comments.. jsut saying i don't recommend without data makes me wonder..

according to the specs its a flower lamp
if your calling it a veg lamp look at the EYE BLUE it would be the Veg lamp IE higher Blue to Red ratio (but at the cost the cmh more than makes up for lagin in veg.. (now dont go disecting that)

what was the end weight vs controll side.. (just asking..)

i have no qaums with peeps saying no good but only if they back it up with Hard evidence..

I'm also wondering the same thing, I got that post from your thread at ***** forums. Not sure if I should veg with the 400w CMH then switch to 600w HPS, or do 400w CMH paired with 250w HPS... Or 400w CMH and 250w 10,000K MH (for flowering)...

Last edited:

Cali smoke

If you check your thread " CMH Ceramic Metal Halide HPS Retro white" the 50th post is by a member named Thunderlips420, he posted that.

I'm just looking for the best combination to maximize yield with this bulb, since I see a lot of people supplementing the 400w cmh with additional lighting, so that tells me it's not sufficient on it's own compared to what you can get with say a 600w HPS.

Maybe 400w CMH + 250w CMH would be a good combination for flowering? I'm just guessing now. :p

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
oh i thought ya said i was asking..
with that said.
it all depends on setup and $$ availl
a cmh on its own will produce Wonderful results..

but you can always give it a kick..
i wouldn't recommend a 400 10k unless it was between 2 400 cmhs (multi cmh lamp setup) my gen rule of thumb half as many watts of Main CMH for the supplemental 10k or White Son's- (for the spring-sumer-fall) Kick..

Last edited:

Cali smoke

simba said:
oh i thought ya said i was asking..
with that said.
it all depends on setup and $$ availl
a cmh on its own will produce Wonderful results..

but you can always give it a kick..
i wouldn't recommend a 400 10k unless it was between 2 400 cmhs (multi cmh lamp setup) my gen rule of thumb half as many watts of Main CMH for the supplemental 10k or White Son's- (for the spring-sumer-fall) Kick..

I c, so would you recommend an HPS (White Son's) or MH (10k) as supplementary light for the flowering stage?

Last edited:

simba

Sleeping Dragon
none is needed however
during Early to mid Flower development a boost of red White-son
Mid to late flower development 10k MH
(these are more for the fanatics..not needed to produce good results.. )
when i say White-son is not bad choice,, there are few better options Just dont have final tests done yet.(keep finding new lamps)
the 10k is more of a natural finishing agent. (IE Tells the plant winter is coming) shortened version

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Azeotrope said:
Looks like you are off to a good start!! I might suggest that you just run the CMH the whole way through. Especially in the last 3wks when the blue and UV output of the CMH will help them resin/harden up. Much better than the HPS.

Hey, I run 2 reptisun 10.0 UVB bulbs in my 2ft X 2ft cab and I run them all the time. Plants seem to react differently to the UVB. If they are exposed young enough to it they can grow into it just fine. If they are exposed later in life they get cooked. So my vote would be uvb exposure all the time so they get used to it rather than periodically cooking them.

RubbaDub

Sorry to post back to back like this. Consider it a sign that this thread has gotten my attention. What kind of reflector would you recommend for someone on a tight budget for use with CMH bulbs? I'm thinking of going with a standard batwing unit for now. I found a PL knockoff at HTG that I'm also considering: http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=48176 Any suggestions are appreciated.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
Last Dance with Mary Jane

Last Dance with Mary Jane

1% amber trichs. Won't be long now. 400 CMH....zero effort grow. WW's. Threw the seeds in dirt, water and/or nutes once every 3-4 days.

Growing is so easy.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
3D ya it depends on the strain.. how much uv u adding etc..
cmh adds uv.. so when you add an extra kick its usto uv.. (if you overdo UV no mater how much prep it gonna cause issue)

rub dub.. ya that megalux aint bad for the price.. or the quad.. Im between the two...
(speaking of Reflectors.. Batwings no way with CMH... I dont recommend..get at least a Megalux.. (cheapest alt to Batwing.)

PB lookin Great.. even with half painted wall..
PB hit me up.. ill get u some PandaFilm..

green_tea

Since the largest bulb is 400W's what kind of coverage would be a good shoot for it?

(clearly 3x3 gets you ~45W / sqft) but what about for these bulbs since you can put it soo freaking close? should i still plan on being able to cover a 3x3 area? or should i reduce that to 2x3 of course the more i think about it, it probably depends on the reflector i get :/

I'm looking at doing a grow with 10+ of these (10 total in for the flowering room; on a flip flop to keep power at a constant 2kw) what kind of coverage could i expect with 5 of these per area?

I was going to throw the old hps into mix a couple weeks into flowering to replace the current MH burning in the grow space but the more I have read the more I am intrigued by this technology and the fact that I can run it in my ballast I already have going is a plus. I ordered one already from advanced lighting and for 53 bucks why the hell not. I have always been told higher lumens better pot but now that I have read up on the science and biology of plants a little more and about indoor lighting as it pertains to horticulture I learned that just isn't the case. I can't wait to try it out in my grow room cause the old mh is coming right out and the hps will sit on the shelf for this go the CMH is taking over. :)