What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Ok I stirred up a bring ruckus with my last question but I've decided I don't really want to wire up my own ballast kit I just wanna buy a plug and play S51 ballast to run the retro whites.. can anyone reccomend one? thanks

From my countless hours of research I discovered that they're all pretty much the same. Do you have a hydroponic shop in the area? I got one here that is run by a guy that also does ballast repair, etc. and I bought a used one there for only $50 and it works fine.

Wiring up a ballast is pretty damn simple, though. You can always use an old PC case to mount it in, etc. Be creative, but don't shy away from DIY because you think it's hard. We're talking about a few wires and plenty of diagrams to be found.

**Plenty of videos to be found on YouTube to help guide you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8uYjMsWT3s

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
true i know I shouldn't be scared of wiring up a ballast, as long as i can match colors and keep them seperate I will be good, but I just like the idea of paying a few more bucks and having a unit plug n' play ready. Oh well I guess I will go with the DIY.

can I get away with a cheap one like the "plusrite"?

http://1000bulbs.com/product/89422/PLUSRITE-7259.html

or should I go for one more high end like the Howard?

http://1000bulbs.com/product/3193/BH-S040071C211K.html

Also I only need a 4 tap, correct?

5 tap is for the option to go up to 480 volts?

true i know I shouldn't be scared of wiring up a ballast, as long as i can match colors and keep them seperate I will be good, but I just like the idea of paying a few more bucks and having a unit plug n' play ready. Oh well I guess I will go with the DIY.

can I get away with a cheap one like the "plusrite"?

http://1000bulbs.com/product/89422/PLUSRITE-7259.html

or should I go for one more high end like the Howard?

http://1000bulbs.com/product/3193/BH-S040071C211K.html

Also I only need a 4 tap, correct?

5 tap is for the option to go up to 480 volts?

"tap" is the input voltage so a 4 tap is 120/208/240/277v input. A 4 tap is perfectly fine for your needs. You'll only use one of those input wires, probably 120vac.

Plusrite will work fine for you.

If you'd honestly rather spend a few bucks more and get a pre-built unit then do it. Don't let me talk you out of what you really want/feel you should do.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The cheaper models will have the same level of functionality of the higher-priced models. The higher-priced ones are a little less likely to have manufacturing defects that cause "core rattle", which is the characteristic buzzing sound that many ballasts make from the laminations in the transformer core vibrating. I prefer the Advance, Howard or Sola.

So can the greenbeams 315w setup match the output of a 600hps or at least come close.

can anyone link me to store that sells the 315w ballast by itself.
Also anyone know the price of the dna complete package setup(315)

I know the 315w is a superior light. But how far off is the 330w as far as output and efficiency go. Just contemplating if its even worth it.

tenthirty

So can the greenbeams 315w setup match the output of a 600hps or at least come close.

I know the 315w is a superior light. But how far off is the 330w as far as output and efficiency go. Just contemplating if its even worth it.

Match the output????
I'm getting the same weight in flowers that I did with the 600w HPS. The quality and smell is improved.

Don't know about the DNA system.

I have a source for digital low freq. ballast specifically for the 315w Elite, however I haven't tested one out yet.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Going to be good.......

Going to be good.......

Hey all. Been really busy. Here are 6 girls (clones) in about 14-16gallons of organic with water/teas only. They were vegged from near death (AKA-beer cup suspended animation) for 10days under the 315w 942 and were 13days 12/12 under it.

Put the 930 in 2days ago......

Added the orca film finally. Excellent product!

Regards,

Azeo

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
"tap" is the input voltage so a 4 tap is 120/208/240/277v input. A 4 tap is perfectly fine for your needs. You'll only use one of those input wires, probably 120vac.

Plusrite will work fine for you.

If you'd honestly rather spend a few bucks more and get a pre-built unit then do it. Don't let me talk you out of what you really want/feel you should do.

Ok thanks

The cheaper models will have the same level of functionality of the higher-priced models. The higher-priced ones are a little less likely to have manufacturing defects that cause "core rattle", which is the characteristic buzzing sound that many ballasts make from the laminations in the transformer core vibrating. I prefer the Advance, Howard or Sola.

thanks alot rives! You are a wealth of information, it is unbelievable!

So I was thinking, unless I go Vert I am gonna need a Hood to put the CMH in correct? so would I be better of just purchasing a cheapy 400w Magnetic HPS setup and then just switch out the bulb and be good to go?

What do you guys think? I think buying all the parts seperatly will probably end up coming out to the same price?

How did you guys go about starting your 400w Retro White setups?

fungzyme

Ok
So I was thinking, unless I go Vert I am gonna need a Hood to put the CMH in correct? so would I be better of just purchasing a cheapy 400w Magnetic HPS setup and then just switch out the bulb and be good to go?

That's what htg supply does:

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-400-Watt-Ceramic-Metal-Halide-Grow-Light.asp

Might be worth looking at - you can pick and choose among several hoods (for extra $, of course). I've gotten other stuff from them and been happy, but I have no experience with this. They include a GE bulb, though. Their HPS package deals are similarly cheap.

Greenheart

Veteran
How did you guys go about starting your 400w Retro White setups?
I purchased a 400W magnetic HF powerhouse ballast, a verticle style all systems cordset, the retrowhite bulb, and some metal plumbers tape (metal strapping with holes) for hanging it. The ballast is a convertible as a personal preference to keep my options open in the future. The bulb runs on the HPS setting.

The first time I purchased an HID setup I went batwing reflector time passed and now it sits in a corner with no socket assmebly gathering dust. Reflectix is awesome.

pHive.8

Vendor
I respectfully disagree and these new startups are I can certainly say inspired and driven by Daddy Philips...It is Philips who pushed and designed a CMH bulb then it noticed the large horti following...Philips is also knowledgeable enough to know that LED's still cant cut the mustard horti wise in comparison to hid...THIS IS VERY APPARENT THAT THEY ARE MOVING IN ON THE HORTI MARKET WITH THIS CMH TECH...to say no means you cant see

That example is a HID/LED Hybrid system

you are free to disagree.

you just have to know how many employees philips has in the Horti HID business and in the Horti LED business.

there are hardly any good people left in HID, the Horti LED business is growing fast in turnover and number of Employees.

Turnover in HID is 10x more than that of LED, but LED Horti has 10x the manpower.

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
That's what htg supply does:

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-400-Watt-Ceramic-Metal-Halide-Grow-Light.asp

Might be worth looking at - you can pick and choose among several hoods (for extra $, of course). I've gotten other stuff from them and been happy, but I have no experience with this. They include a GE bulb, though. Their HPS package deals are similarly cheap.

I have heard only trust Philips bulbs because they are they only ones with an open-fixture rating...

I do not want to buy their CMH light kit, I want to buy their HPS light kit, which is for some reason $60 cheaper... And then screw in my CMH bulb and be completely ready to go. i understand my total cost will be the same as their CMH kit once I buy my own bulb but I don't trust the GE I want Phillips for in case I ever go vertical...

Here is the HPS kit...

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-400-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light.asp

I think I will purchase off their ebay store though...

I purchased a 400W magnetic HF powerhouse ballast, a verticle style all systems cordset, the retrowhite bulb, and some metal plumbers tape (metal strapping with holes) for hanging it. The ballast is a convertible as a personal preference to keep my options open in the future. The bulb runs on the HPS setting.

The first time I purchased an HID setup I went batwing reflector time passed and now it sits in a corner with no socket assmebly gathering dust. Reflectix is awesome.

From what I have seen any 400w Mag HPS ballast is gonna run me around $100 so I figure I might as well spend another $20 get a HPS bulb and reflector for pretty much free? Am I right?

Will I have any problems trying to run a Retro White into this setup?

http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTGSupply-400-watt-High-Pressure-Sodium-Grow-Light.asp

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
@ soursmoker

@ soursmoker

^^^ all that should work very well with Retro-White CMH bulbs.

Don't wait too long to get your bulbs; while supplies last.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ordered the 315w Philips fixture yesterday, I chose the agro bulb. I just hope the reflector will be able to cover my 80x80cm tent properly.

ps. could someone tell me why my buds get frostier under the 250w retro white than the 400w retro white? Does the 400w have less uv-b or something?

[edit] It came. [URL=http://imageshack.us/a/img802/5271/dsc0146vm.th.jpg]View Image[/URL]

can I ask what hood that is? not into CMH, and you don't have 50 posts for messages..

Thanks

soursmoker

East Coast, All Day!
Veteran
^^^ all that should work very well with Retro-White CMH bulbs.

Don't wait too long to get your bulbs; while supplies last.

yes I know, I need to get on it ASAP thinking bout buying one Vert and one Horizontal.

Anyone know if you can run the Horizontals Vertically or vice versa?
I think Ill buy one of each and stop being a cheap ass...

Mag ballasts are typically around $100, plus hood and bulb... So it's a pretty good deal for an open reflector kit. Nothing wrong with having an HPS bulb laying around, too. Never know when you might need it or want to use it.

yes thats what i am thinking exactly...

http://www.1000bulbs.com/
this place got bulbs and ballasts on the cheap. good customer service too. forgot one of my ballasts and i had a dead bulb. sent a replacement bulb without asking me to rma or prove it, sent my ballast express.

this is where I plan on ordering the bulbs from... I am going to get my ballast from the $120 HPS kit though. damn good deal if I say so myself...

Greenheart

Veteran
It looks like a free HPS bulb to me no reason to buy the cmh kit when you can get everything with a hps bulb and a retro for the same cost.