What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Azeotrope

Veteran
Thanks. Just trying to locate them at a reasonable price. I have found them at some crazy $$....... Someone dropped me a possible contact that would make it reasonable if that works out.

rrog

Veteran
Mag ballasts for MH are the safest bet. That's what I'm considering. Greenheart, are you planning a vert grow?

Greenheart

Veteran
Yes it's vertville for me. That would be a 1000W MH magnetic then? I am about to replace a BlueEyeHorti that's been running on a convertable 1000W ballast.

honeyoil

I can confirm great results and a lower electric bill using a 12/5.5/1/5.5 light schedule. I am on my 3rd run having converted from 24/0.
No other changes, same strains, plants are just as big, if not a little bigger at the end of the veg cycle. 400W Horz CMH.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Just a note to all of you interested in the Philips 315w CDM Elite Agro. I spent a good amount of time with 3 different Philips authorized wholesalers today trying to locate an actual "Agro" for less than $392.00. Wholesalers have a cost of over $300.00 on the Agro right now and are required to order in case quantities (12pk). It is going to take some market demand increase to drive the cost down.

I am going to go with the standard 930 (3k) for now and see how it goes........ Might grab a 942 (42k) later and test it for fun.

Edit/Add - LightingSupply.com sells the PGZ18 sockets and it is an easy order.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Azeo, some time back I got a price quote from CED for the Agro, p/n 415216, for $114 plus freight. Maybe they got off onto the wrong line, but...... stud horse pricing!

Azeotrope

Veteran
Boy, that would be nice, but as you will see in the pm I sent, I am hunting.... CED in my area won't (or can't) sell Philips. I called and asked even though I know them as a Sylvania distributor..... Thet politely confirmed.

rrog

Veteran
Rives, you're obviously hot on the CMH. I'm wondering about this in veg, although a lot of people I really respect feel there's too much blue = flarfy bud for flower, unless red-enhanced with a HPS lamp also

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rives, you're obviously hot on the CMH. I'm wondering about this in veg, although a lot of people I really respect feel there's too much blue = flarfy bud for flower, unless red-enhanced with a HPS lamp also

Rrog, I think that the 315w lamps are a different animal than the standard CMH. As you can see in the below SPD charts, there is substantially less blue than in the Retro-White lamps. The Agro version looks really good to me, but I have some 930's to try first...if it turns out that more red will work better, I will supplement that portion of the spectrum with some 660nm leds.

"Standard" CMH Retro-White -
picture.php

315w 930 -
picture.php

315w "Agro" -
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

rrog

Veteran
Wow! Now that's interesting! That's quite a difference in the spectrum. Does a 315 (watt?) have enough juice to penetrate canopy? Or is it more suited to a low SCROG?

Thanks very much!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow! Now that's interesting! That's quite a difference in the spectrum. Does a 315 (watt?) have enough juice to penetrate canopy? Or is it more suited to a low SCROG?

Thanks very much!

I don't know yet. I have to get the damn things running!

rrog

Veteran
Actually, that 930 looks like the ticket. Appears to have higher red than the Agro, while having competent blue

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think that the Agro moves the peak out to the 660-670 range, and a bit less blue. They both look like very interesting lamps to me. The Philips ballasts will dim down to 50%, supposedly with virtually no impact on the spectrum. GEL (Global Energy & Lighting) has come up with a new design ballast for them that operates at a much higher frequency, gives a bit more light with an unbelievable lumen maintenance, and a usable life-span approaching LEDs.

2nd from the bottom on this page -
http://gel-usa.com/ceramatek.html

rrog

Veteran
Damn Rives! Such great stuff! I'm building a new room in the fall on 2013. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Thank you very much!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Take a look at the Cycloptics stuff. They are using the Agro lamp with a new reflector design, and are supposed to be swinging over from the Philips ballast to the GEL. The reflectors are open if that works for your room design, and seem to be coming down in price.

rrog

Veteran
Great, great stuff. Again, thanks so much. I will stay tuned for any updates you may have.