What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Baba Ku

Veteran
I looked at it as it may work out if you only have a MH ballast. How is that another way to look at it?

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
I had to use one HPS bulb from week #4 flowering to week #8 flowering; due to a two month old CMH bulb failure.

The HPS bulb really seemed to drag things down. (Hortilux)

At eight weeks flowering: back to all CMH. It seemed to really help save the yield. Only water and a little molasses, added...:)

Last edited:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
So I had been planning to build a new grow cab featuring a 400w CMH and 4x55w PLLs (one in each corner, vertically) like this:

But then my girlfriend and I decided to buy an actual house. So lately I've been thinking about what I might do if I had a house with a basement that I wouldn't have to worry about landlords or neighbors snooping around.

I've spent a lot of time looking at vert grows since they seem to be a good way of making better use of your lights.

Does anyone have specs on the real-life penetrating distance of a vert 400w CMH? I'm considering running 2x400w CMH vertically, and I want to get started on the design.

I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might offer.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
So I had been planning to build a new grow cab featuring a 400w CMH and 4x55w PLLs (one in each corner, vertically) like this:

But then my girlfriend and I decided to buy an actual house. So lately I've been thinking about what I might do if I had a house with a basement that I wouldn't have to worry about landlords or neighbors snooping around.

I've spent a lot of time looking at vert grows since they seem to be a good way of making better use of your lights.

Does anyone have specs on the real-life penetrating distance of a vert 400w CMH? I'm considering running 2x400w CMH vertically, and I want to get started on the design.

As far as I can tell from the specs, with a mean lumen output of 29,600, this means I can go about 2-2.5ft before the light drops below 5000 lumen per sq. ft. So I guess I wanna know if you were doing this, would you make a 4x4x8 room with the bulbs hung in the center? If not, what WOULD you do?

I appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might offer.

Thanks so much!

41hope

CMH Vert

CMH Vert

I'd like the same info also are horizontal bulb different than vertical bulbs? In other words if I've been growing with hoods and I take the socket and bulbs out and hang the bulb and grow vertically?

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
I'd like the same info also are horizontal bulb different than vertical bulbs? In other words if I've been growing with hoods and I take the socket and bulbs out and hang the bulb and grow vertically?

Yes, you can, but bulb life will be reduced. They do make vert cmh however.

I run 2 CMH bulbs vertically; one on each side of a 600w horizontal HPS. I obviously prefer the CMH;s and believe my plants do as well.

Anti- how can I measure the penetration you;re asking for? I will help, I'm just not sure how to find the answer you're looking for but think I can help if you explain it to me!

B

BigTex

I have a 1000w phillips ceramalux bulb. According to the box the arc tube in this lamp contains sodium and mercury. I thought it was an HPS but it looks to be mostly blue spectrum. I think it's HPS but has a 30% increase in blue spectrum. Can anyone tell me if it's HPS or MH or what the heck it is? And is it good for growing and/or flowering?