What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

drymouth

I know this has been asked 100 times, so the phillips 400w will work with any 400w hps ballsat? was thinking of getting a 400w hps ballast off of growlightexpress. I know htg sells them to but had a bad run in with a few of there products. Oh, and if I buy a diy ballast kit on advanced technology could I add say a regulre sunlight supply socket on it?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I know this has been asked 100 times, so the phillips 400w will work with any 400w hps ballsat? was thinking of getting a 400w hps ballast off of growlightexpress. I know htg sells them to but had a bad run in with a few of there products. Oh, and if I buy a diy ballast kit on advanced technology could I add say a regulre sunlight supply socket on it?

As long as it is a 50-60 hertz, magnetic core and coil ballast, yeah, it'll work.

Most ballast kits don't normally include the socket. The vendors that supply them with their ballast, do it as a benefit of buying from them. Even then, you can use your choice of appropriate sockets.

this bulb is the missing link in the first half of flower. i wouldnt bother growing without this lamp anymore. To me there are now officially 3 stages: veg, first half of flower, and latter half (loosely associated with npk: veg-N, first half-K, latter half-P. The plant just sets up beautifully to crop, manages its space so well and growth is so hardy, as WR said fan leaves dont just pluck off these plants are rigorous. My girls love the potash (K) during onset of flower under CMH as i said prev. and show trichs noticably earlier than mh/hps. I use EWC teas with guanos and sea kelp ratioed with twice as much K than P. (roughly 3-4-8 total ratio, not sure about N but precisely 1:2 p:k ratio) I back off K slowly until day 14 Flower im at 3-4-6 and day ~28 im at 1:1 p:k. This is 60-65-day maturation mostly indica.I am adding 1w 680 nm led's soon and things will really get interesting.

Azeotrope

Veteran
Glad you are pleased with the CM. The difference in vigor is hard to dispute. I am a HUGE believer in the 1:2 - 1:2.5 P:K ratio in early to mid flower as well. The Trich production comes early as you have found.

Glad to see another CMH'r on board. Good growing to you and stay safe!

Azeo

someone in a fluoro vs. hid thread postulated that quality is depleted by the high amount of IR, or radiant heat given off by the HPS. I am still curious as to how potency is so greatly increased by the intro of cmh, i think temps could be a factor, surely that brilliant spectrum is a large factor tho. If I were an Alaskan or a citizen of any area that goes periods without sunlight, I would have to have some of these on hand. Reminds me of beach sunshine w white sands or midday skiing sunshine. To some extent in the intensity i use it they satisfy the part of my mood that desires sunlight...maybe ive been sittin under the artificial light too long...lolSeriously tho anyone ever try to read a book under a CFL? I keep incandescents n my reading lamp bc i prefer their (somewhat) even spectrum, cfls hurt my eyes for intesive/demanding use of my eyes; i use those Y-sockets and put a 9w of both 6500k/2700k cfl in all other sockets. If I could I would have a cmh in every socket in my house!

onegreenday

Veteran
I switched back to 1K hortilux & patients say the med's are not as
strong. same plants/clones & regimen (pretty much)

The CMH flowers seemed denser, more crystals & other
aspects that escape me but they prefer cmh over hps.

I switched back to 1K hortilux & patients say the med's are not as
strong. same plants/clones & regimen (pretty much)

The CMH flowers seemed denser, more crystals & other
aspects that escape me but they prefer cmh over hps.

would you have any dry nug shots for comparison purposes? or any shots for that matter? sorry if it is in the thread. but what was your lighting set-up with CMH's? Specifically how far was the reflector from the tops?

onegreenday

Veteran
sorry no camera available. Sunlight Supply 36" vertical parabolic
2 - 400's side by side . get the canopy up close under the umbrella.

I may switch the 1k vertical hortilux to 3 - 400 watt CMH horizontals and move
them on my new Agramover (reflector track mover)

mahalo

Would those of you that have these CMH bulbs tell me:

Do you see green in the end of the bulb like i seen in the picture of the first page of this thread?

Thanks

Maikowjai

without blue light your budds wont reach there true potential, some people refuse to grasp this or they believe there enhanced hps bulbs are enough blue which there not.

Tommasini

Hello to all! A soon to be new grower here. To begin, I have read and studied the art/science of indoor growing to death - and have finally accepted the utilization of CMH grow lights.
I am in the beginning stages of purchase, and have come upon the possible existence of 600 watt (or larger) cmh bulbs?

Thank you

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Hi Maj. Is your operating position: horizontal or vertical? (bulbs that is) LOL

Sorry, missed this. I run my bulbs horizontally but I am thinking about getting vertical bulbs when I replace them. People seem to get better yield per watt with vertical.

mahalo

Sorry, missed this. I run my bulbs horizontally but I am thinking about getting vertical bulbs when I replace them. People seem to get better yield per watt with vertical.

I was thinking the same thing, i may try running these HOR vertical as I've seen a post suggesting it can be done.

But for now I'd like to know why I don't have green at the end of the bulb, anyone have a clue?:laughing:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
This is just my best guess, so please don't take it as gospel, but, the first one I bought had a clear end and the next two, green. It may just be a company ID design change, rather than anything that needs to be generally known. So, yours just may have been New Old Stock.

GL!

mahalo

This is just my best guess, so please don't take it as gospel, but, the first one I bought had a clear end and the next two, green. It may just be a company ID design change, rather than anything that needs to be generally known. So, yours just may have been New Old Stock.

GL!

Could be, although Philip's tech said I should return. By-the-way the green was in the lamp, just not in the tip where it belongs.

NorCalFor20

Smokes, lets go
Veteran
OK experienced CMH user here , looking for other SERIOUS CMH users imput

so. i got 4x8 tents.... i use 2 for flower 2 for veg....

my flower tents currently running 2x 1000w hortilux super hps (4x8 tents)

i am wondering will there be benifits from adding a 400w cmh? or should/can i add 2 to each tent bringing each tent to 2800w? or will 1 be fine? i am trying to gain benifits from CMH spectrum... do the 400w cmh have UV output? or will i need reptile bulb for decent uV?

also i am setting up the veg rooms (also 4x8 tents) i was orgianlly going to use 2 432w T5's per tent.... but now im thinking iwant to use CMH? how many do i need for a 4x8 Tent? i am considering using 4x 400w per 4x8 tent (the tents contain 24 bucket ebb n grow systems)

any and all advice welcome, thank you

onegreenday

Veteran
best to buy a few & check em out 1st.
I'm flowering in CMH only now no more HPS
The bud is nicer.

so it's about blending the smaller 400 CMH to get
the intensity up.
3 side by side (blending/ all lamps parallel) with a mover
down across the canopy, with the reflector side light leading the way
down the canopy row.

the T5 might cover better than 2- 400 watt CMH