What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

Sparky 6

Naa, I live in the states. Was just looking at some europe shops.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but all the GE and Phillips 150w CMH bulbs run off pulse start MH ballasts.

Venture Lighting (large company specializing in pulse start MH ballasts) lists a 150w CMH bulb for use in HPS ballasts. http://www.venturelightingeurope.com/pdf/data/en/200/x/00026.pdf

I would hope they know what they're talking about

That's another European link. If you live in the states you'll only confuse yourself looking at the bulbs offered in Europe.

NagChampa

That's another European link. If you live in the states you'll only confuse yourself looking at the bulbs offered in Europe.
I'm pretty sure HPS, volts, wats, amps, MH are all terms used internationally so I dont see how I'd get confused. Not to mention most manufacturers including Venture use ANSI

I'm just wondering if there's anyone out there who has found a 150w CMH bulb that works in a HPS ballast. My research is showing me there might be new products that can do this

NagChampa

Anyone heard of a 150w CMH for HPS ballast? Hydro shop said they didnt know of one but would call a few mfgs for me. In other news they got a 150w HPS to MH conversion bulb now.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I really wish they did a 150w CMH in HPS but i haven't seen one. I'd love to find one though so i didnt have to buy another ballast. I'm going to contact venture about their CMH, it sounds pretty good with a CRI of 90+ and 3k it should have a nic psectrum than a standard 150w HPS.

Also the GE constant color has a 150w CMH tubular version. I'm looking into them now, they have the same code as the venture ones.

Ty_Kaycha

Anyone heard of a 150w CMH for HPS ballast? Hydro shop said they didnt know of one but would call a few mfgs for me. In other news they got a 150w HPS to MH conversion bulb now.

Didn't you just ask the same/similar question in your post right before?

I'm guessing from the deafening silence, no one has used a 150w CMH in a HPS ballast.

You said you have seen online that they have them, Looks like you're guinea pig! Have fun & let us know how it turns out. Most on here prefer to stick with either Philips or GE. Guess there might of been problems with other brands, but then again maybe no one has tested it.

Look forward to your results!

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Does anyone know where the sell the 150w GE ConstantColor. Those are HPs compatible in the tubular bulb version. Also has a 3k and 42k, i wish i could see the spectrums though. I've emailed GE and a couple of companies about their CMH's.

NagChampa

Where di you hear that one was HPS compatible? Everything I read about Phillips and GE states the 150w uses MH ballast.

Does anyone know where the sell the 150w GE ConstantColor. Those are HPs compatible in the tubular bulb version. Also has a 3k and 42k, i wish i could see the spectrums though. I've emailed GE and a couple of companies about their CMH's.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I read it on GE's website. Its only the Constant Color tubular one though. I was looking through their CMH catalog and the brochure on their site.

Ty_Kaycha

I read it on GE's website. Its only the Constant Color tubular one though. I was looking through their CMH catalog and the brochure on their site.

Just looked on their site.
Their tubular CMH only come in 400 & 250.
http://xrl.us/bhkeyd
(shorten direct link to genet.gelighting.com product line)

Their 150 CMH screw-in bulbs only use either MH ballasts or their electronic ballast

What GE website were you looking at? I'm wondering if there's an international or europe site that might have different product line.

41hope

CMH in flower

CMH in flower

I have a 6x5 room with 2 air cooled 600hps, I want to add a 400w CMH with an open hood. Which reflector should I buy to spread light across garden I do not want to hook up to the 2 hps, I want the advantages of an open hood with CMH? Which 400 CMH GE or Phillips? GE better for flowering Phillips better for Veg? Is this true? Which Ballast should I Buy use least amount of electricity & heat, noise etc...?

what precautions are necessary to reduce all fire risks with CMH? if they are at dangerous temperatures and pressures it sounds like an irreversible accident waiting to potentially happen.

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
what precautions are necessary to reduce all fire risks with CMH? if they are at dangerous temperatures and pressures it sounds like an irreversible accident waiting to potentially happen.

As far as I know, all HID operate at dangerous temperatures and pressures and are subject to violent rupture. The protected version is open fixture rated because the glass and filament help to lessen the effect of catastrophic failure keeping any shrapnel inside the bulb itself. The unprotected doesn't, that is why an enclosed fixture is required.

As far as I know, all HID operate at dangerous temperatures and pressures and are subject to violent rupture. The protected version is open fixture rated because the glass and filament help to lessen the effect of catastrophic failure keeping any shrapnel inside the bulb itself. The unprotected doesn't, that is why an enclosed fixture is required.

oh ok. so for horticultural purposes the protected one is used?

so you are saying the protected bulbs keep everything inside in the event of an explosion? or is there still a substantial fire risk?

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Yes, the protected version is the one you want. The 4K bulbs are probably the better choice between it and the 3K version. Also, the bulbs are position specific, so, make sure it is rated for either horizontal or vertical use in your situation.

A risk maybe, but, substantial fire risk? Not any more so than HPS or MH, I would think.

NagChampa

oh ok. so for horticultural purposes the protected one is used?

so you are saying the protected bulbs keep everything inside in the event of an explosion? or is there still a substantial fire risk?

I've seen an exploded 400w CMH and it was all self contained. That was a PROTECTED bulb though. Many of the CMHs sold out there are unprotected and will fling extremely hot pieces of stuff all over your room.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Go to the first post in this thread to see a Philips bulb that failed. (scroll down to pic with red background) The unprotected CMH are very dangerous because unlike a MH or HPS bulb the insides will stay hot for a long time after exposure to air and will start a fire wherever they end up at. Please people always use protection. Wrap that rascal!

Azeotrope

Veteran
These little girls are 30 days old 12/12 the whole way under 1 Philips 4k 250w and 1 150w 3k Philips. Both CMH of course. The 150w runs on a Metrolight Digital/Electronic ballast designed for Ceramic Metal Halides. I run the unprotected 150w because the protected has UV block and my cab is metal. Philips makes a CDO-tt "master city" line of tubular CMH up to 250w and mostly found in 2800k for distribution in Europe. They and others also make digi/electronic ballasts specific to CDM/CMH bulbs up to 150w. Also mostly distributed in Europe. They can be ordered on-line as discovered by another member a few posts ago.

Kind Regards to all!!!!!!!:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts