What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

floydfanx6

hey guys im really sorry im sure its been covered in this thread but im a stoner,,i want to use a 150 watt cmh as stated in the first post it will work with most digital hps ballasts,will it work with a 150 watt hps security light? what kind of ballast do i neeed a 150 watt digi,or a 150 watt mh ballast ?thanx guys!

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Mr, Bomb. adv tech site has a note
"Shipping UPDATE 08/28/2009 We had a few issues with our Carriers, Rest assured all orders have been processed and will arrive shortly. We have been Promised these issues wont arise from either Carrier."

Id say they know bout the problem and fixing it..

Woall, Yups that would work perfectly..

floydfanx6, for 150 watt CMH you need either.
1. Magnetic Core Metal Halide Ballast ANSI M90
2. Electronic Ballast Designated for CMH Use
those are the only two options available..
Get a 150 Watt Metal Halide Security Light. that is a M90 Ballast.

Free your CMH BudSHots...haven't seen to many Photos lately..

C

coxswain

If ya can get a VS 250 HPS ballast that would be Great.. they rock..
i wouldnt go potted version for parts replacement but VS Lasts LOng lOng time..

I'm a bit confused with all this naming.

VS has MH ballasts and HPS ballasts. Some are even made for both(HS/HI). VS naming scheme is HS for HPS and HI for Metal Halide.

I have some questions:
What's the difference between HI and HS ballasts?
Do I need an ignitor?
If so what kind? There are the ones for HS and HI lamps.
Tehere are Pulse and Superimposed ignition systems. What's the difference?
Do I need a capacitor?

This is their product search site. If I chose EM ballasts/250W/HS&HI I get this product.
NAHJ250.578F230/240/252V/5 .

Is this _all_ I need to fire up a 250 CMH HPS retrofit lamp or do I need stuff like ignitor and capacitor?

Thanks if someone cleares this up for me.

simba

Sleeping Dragon
Cox,
--Superimposed ignition system
Superimposed ignitors generate defined ignition pulses in the stipulated voltage range independently to the ballast.As the network frequency only plays a subordinate role,these systems can ignite at 50 or at 60 Hz.Defined pulses are generated during every half wave.
--Pulse ignition system
Pulse ignition systems utilize the windings of the inductive ballast to generate the pulse.For this reason,these ballasts must be capable of with standing the loads associated with high ignition voltages.The additional design effort particularly applies to dimensioning the creepage and clearance distances.By generating high-energy pulses,the pulse ignition system is also suitable for long conductor distances between the ignitor and the lamp.

In pulse ignitors the high-voltage pulse is produced in conjunction with the ballast. The ignitor uses a separate tap on the ballast, specially developed for pulse technology and designed for high ignition voltages. As the high-voltage pulse is generated in the ballast for the ignition process it is possible to achieve very high ignition energy.

id go for Pulse.. but thats me..

honestly VS Catalog Bites.and with EU i allways get things Backwards. Way to many choices. for the same thing LOL..
. however if you hit up a local hydro shop and grab a Magnetic Ballast for 250 watt HPS (tell them Philips SonT Plus) and you will be golden..

C

coxswain

honestly VS Catalog Bites.

Mening it sucks?
Tell me about it. And if you want to register to get more information their site returnes some stupid SSL error. They don't support SSL 3 which is pathetic. Their web pages clearly lag behind their products whic are supposed to be of high q.

Anyway .. thanks for clearing up things a bit more.

Hey simba, first off fantastic thread, sooo much info, I'm havin a little trouble wading through it all. I'm interested in doin a cmh micro grow and am lookin for a little advice, or at least a point in the right direction. My grow area is 2ftw x 1.5ftd x 4fth. I think a 250 will be too much to cool effectively so I'm thinkin 2 70s or maybe 1 150 but I dont know where or which ballasts to use for these lil fellows, any thoughts? Thanx for the help

Two things, I converted around the same time as Simba after I saw him convert... guys you need to go back and read the beginning of this... Simba was an HPS guy through and through until he saw the evidence like me... I never did an HPS grow, I had the benefit of people showing me the superiority of CMH before hand.

Secondly I would say two 250W vs 1 400W either CMH or HPS would be wise, it's only 100 more W but, the increased penetration should be worth it.

Though I certainly see why people don't do it, since the ballasts for a 250 and a 400 are sooooooo close together to not warrant getting two.

Spangli

multi lamps

multi lamps

Two things, I converted around the same time as Simba after I saw him convert... guys you need to go back and read the beginning of this... Simba was an HPS guy through and through until he saw the evidence like me... I never did an HPS grow, I had the benefit of people showing me the superiority of CMH before hand.

Secondly I would say two 250W vs 1 400W either CMH or HPS would be wise, it's only 100 more W but, the increased penetration should be worth it.

Though I certainly see why people don't do it, since the ballasts for a 250 and a 400 are sooooooo close together to not warrant getting two.
Hiya LeoRex

With two 250W CMH you can easily replace one 600W HPS.:joint: Tested and works.
100W minus over the same area :woohoo: Not to mention the ventillation is also consuming less.

Peace:abduct:

asde

Hiya LeoRex

With two 250W CMH you can easily replace one 600W HPS.:joint: Tested and works.
100W minus over the same area :woohoo: Not to mention the ventillation is also consuming less.

Peace:abduct:

hard to believe.. what kind of 2x250w cmh? i dont know any beeing able to replace an 600w hps yield wise but maybe you just mean it continues growing or your using for vegitation only?

Spangli

hard to believe.. what kind of 2x250w cmh? i dont know any beeing able to replace an 600w hps yield wise but maybe you just mean it continues growing or your using for vegitation only?

Just the simple horizontal ones. If you have the right strain you can easily have the same yield under the 2X250 like under 1X600.:woohoo:
For vegetative growth these rock :joint:
If you havent seen anyone you should test yourself and let the others thinking about it wether it can be done or not :dueling: Believe your eyes bro ;)
The same with the 400W one pound is easy to do with it:yoinks:

Peace

asde

what is the simple horizontal one?
just tell me the brand and model :wallbash:
well what did you yield under 600w hps? what do you get with 2x250w cmh?

oh yeah one pound under 400w cmh? retro white?

amoril

i cant speak specifically for Spangli, but generally when someone refers to a 250w or 400w CMH in this thread, theyre referring to the Philips MasterColor 4000k Retro-White from advanced tech lighting.

www.advancedtechlighting.com

select your wattage, and vertical or horizontal, then buy.

asde

well im just sayin with 500w retro white your not going to yield anything close to the 600w hps. if you have an awesome strain maybe you can get 3/4 of what the hps yield, im using an 150w cmh with 3k and more light/w than the retro white and its not like i yield 1.5g/w zzz

asde

Who said 1,5G/W?
'->
If you have the right strain you can easily have the same yield under the 2X250 like under 1X600.:woohoo:

Spangli said:
it is not about light / W it is about the spectrum and as Simba told you and everyone here full SPD

actually it is about light / W because both bulbs have similar spectrums while the 3k got an higher ppf for sure, exactly what made the hps superior for ages - yield wise

asde

Or the 1X600W in your interpretation is equal to having 900G under a 600W?

your math is wrong, with 600w hps you can yield 1.25g/w or more so the 2x250w cmh should yield 1.5g/w or more to keep up with the 600w :joint:

you stoned? no problem

asde

maybe you should think about it when your not high?? what you said is equal to saying 1.5g/w - in the end.
you totally lost track dude.. just dont tell people false things especially when your trying to make them waste money the same second (waste for those who are after max quantity)

asde

Who said any G/W data?????
You still do not answer my question man who said G/W data? It was you man
i did answer your question.

Spangli said:
I am not trying to make anyone waste his or her money...... If you think so then everyone here with fine result wanna make you waste your money huh?
you did: telling people false things, if they dont believe, telling them to test theirself.
the difference between people who report about their nice quality and people like you telling cmh is the max yield monster is simple and if you dont get .. well

Spangli said:
If you say I am telling false things then why this thread is here for almost two years???
So who lost track dude?
point?

instead of trying to hide your failure just accept it, right now your just blabling like you dont understand your own words, not to mention the others

Latest posts

Latest posts