What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

asde

that "flashing" is normal in the first 5 minutes after firing because of the different boiling points of the ingredients, if it happens at any other time it can have different reasons but most of the time its a problem with the bulb/ballast

BlueHalo

Hello All. I am BlueHalo and I have been kickin it in the CFL Club for a few months now and have recently decided to make the switch from CFL's to a 400 watt CMH. For me it was an easy choice because not only are the cost per watts cheaper using a CMH but the light spectrum is superior to that of a 27 watt, 2700K of 6700K CFL. For most of my current grow I have been using 26,500 lumens of CFL's in a 3 X 3 NGB box to grow 6 WhiteBerry. They are now all in a scrog setup in the flower box up top using coco coir and Botanicare Nutes and are in week 4 of flower and As of tonight I will be switching over to a 400 watt CAP dual ballast with a 26 X 16 X 8 enclosed Lumenair reflector which will be exhausted using a 192 CFM Soler & Palau Mixed vent inline fan. Next week I will be putting in 2 X 27 watt UVB Bulbs to assist with the production of the trich's.

Just for giggles I put in a 400 watt HPS bulb that I had laying around to see if there was a heat difference between the HPS and the CMH. Guess what? after 5 minutes with each bulb in the reflector the CMH ran cooler and threw less heat. It will be interesting to see how it works in the cab tonight with temps and all. Here a few pics from a month or so ago when the girlz where still in veg. Will get a better camera and do some pics of them in flower. PUFF PUFF!!

amoril

Bluehalo, those whiteberry's look just like mine. That strain seems to be pretty stable / consistent. I may end up running it later, more thoroughly.

either way, im sure youll love your CMH.

BlueHalo

Thanx guys for the words of encouragement and for having me along for the ride. Tonight I found that I need to cut another hole in my cab to accommodate the 6" flange on the air cooled reflector but it got too late for me to do it because I didn't want to disturb my neighbors below me. So I'll do it in the morning and hopefully my ventilation will do the job to keep this beast cool enough for me to run it permanently.

Once this harvest is done I will be switching from Coco Coir to a SWC setup running Botanicare Nutes. So far they have treated me really good.

Amoril, Have you had any previous experience with the WhiteBerry Strain? From my experience so far from this strain (second grow with it) is that it does better if you don't top them and force them to branch out. My last grow I did this and the two colas weighed just as much as the one that I let grow straight up into one main cola. The one main cola was the size of a pringles can and after a 2 week cure came out to 58 grms. The ones that are in flower now (2) are made up of one main cola and are dusted with trych's. I am hoping with the CMH I will be able to bring my yield up to 1 gram per watt, hopefully.

Actually I am running 4 different strains in my setup. WhiteBerry, Tundra (Autoflower), Purple Lady, and Spoetnik. So far there is no sign of the Purple Lady actually having purple genetics and the Spoetnik doesn't even look like the picture from the seedbank I got them from. As they get closer to finishing (about 3 more weeks) I will have a clearer Idea of what they are, and more importantly, what they are not.

Thanx everyone for contributing to this awesome and informative thread! PUFF PUFF!!!:joint:

amoril

LOL, now you tell me

i topped mine. Oh well, live and learn. A 58g cured cola sounds pretty decent, to say the least. the pics Ive seen do appear to have a pretty hefty main cola though....so thats cool. Ill know for next time ;)

This is my first go with the 'berry, and wont be able to run it again this year, as my plate is full at the moment. Current order is Master Kaze (test grow for MNS), then sensi star, and then MNS black widow.

if I like WB this time around though, ill probably get a couple of packs to sort through when i get a chance.

BlueHalo

Hey all! Let me apologize in advance for being such a thread hog since coming to the CMH forum, but I'm sure that most of you know what it is like to have a new toy and the excitement that it brings.

So, I spent most of yesterday taking out that crappy mylar that I had in the cab (that shit is a bitch to put up and it can create hot spots) and put in White Panda Film. I also remodeled the ventilation system to accomodate the new air cooled reflector. Finally I fired her up and WHAM!! the light wouldn't come on. I had it plugged into my digital timer and couldn't for the life of me figure out why the ballast wouldn't come on. After about a half hour I finally realized that it wouldn't come on because I had the timer set to turn on the lights at 8:00 PM which is its usual time. However, it was only 6:00 PM and by this time I was fully medicated on some Romulan. Just another stoner moment in history.

Anyhoo, the temps are a stable 82 degrees and running beautiful! I will never go back to HPS ever again. PUFF PUFF!!!

To anyone interested in smaller wattage CMH lights for cabinets and tents, I recommend looking out for 100 watt Amerlux Murro II wall wash lights. It is a track light that is very popular among retailers for interior storefront illumination. With the economic downturn forcing many businesses to close, you can find these lights being sold off at places like eBay for pennies on the dollar.

What makes the Murro II so unique is that it is compact, simple to hardwire, and is usually paired with an electronic Vossloh Schwabe ballast though certain models may come with a traditional Advance magnetic ballast as a cheaper alternative. All in all, it is a great light for microgrowers, especially when you can find them easily under $20 apiece with a used bulb. The bulb that comes with the light is usually a Philips MHC100/C/U/M/3K. It isn't the ideal spectrum and the diffuse coating robs lumens but it should work acceptably if you can't afford to immediately replace the bulb. Two of these lights work great if you need something between a 150 and 250 watt CMH.

All that requires to hardwire the light is a Phillips screwdriver and a pig tail power supply cord. Remove the back panel, unscrew the track lighting connector, unscrew the wire nuts, wire up the pig tail to the existing wire, and assemble everything back together. It takes about 10 minutes to complete. If space is a consideration, the ballast portion of the light can be easily separated and remote mounted.

papnoaabl.jpg

Hello all,

Well, Its been 45 days and two harvests since I re-installed it on March 26th.

What can I say, the yield was down...significantly in both harvest with the last being the lightest.

My last harvest was down 20-25 percent.

As to the potentcy, well, I actually thoguht the first harvest was a bit leaker then usual...these are the plants that got the last three weeks of cmh.

I am smoking on the lastest harvest now...yes, I know a cure will imprive them but that is not in cards. It is better then the previous harvest but lighter in weight.

I do like the thermal benefits of the cmh.

With that said, if I had purchased the bulb for theraml properties I would have felt it was money well spent.

BUt I also purchased it for the superior plant growth...I have not realized it.

I think I would use this bulb in veg though and even early flower.

These are my experiences and conclusions.

Also, I do not think I was getting the penetration either but that is subjective as well.

minds_I

Yea, I'm with ya on this one. I have done a few grows with these bulbs and I'm not fired up on them at all. This is not to say that they do not grow good weed, but I really do not see any difference except yield is way down. I now use it to veg with a 400 watt eye and I suppliment with it in flower. I grew a strain with them and then grew the same strain with them as a suppliment bulb to the hps and the later was much better in all aspects. When I grew SS with them last year I could not believe the amount of leaf in the buds. But to each his own.

BlueHalo

Hey All! So I have been using the 400 CMH for over a week now and I do have to say that I am liking it alot thus far. The real test will be on my next grow with Spoetnik clones and seeing if there is much difference between my 400 watt hps of the 400 watt CMH.

Ok, so I have a grow issue that needs immediate attention. One of my Spoetnik cola's
has matured quicker than the rest of the other 5 cola's and will finish in another 2 weeks while the other 5 colas are about a month away as their pistils have yet to begin to show a color shift signaling maturation. So, how do I harvest just the one cola from the plant because I need to flush and dehydrate the plant of all nutrients, but I can't do this if I am still trying to keep the other cola's in full flower? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. PUFF PUFF!!!

BlueHalo

Thanx greenisgold. This grow I have managed not to get nute burn but I am however using the full recommended dose of Botanicare nutes which I think is composed of organic compounds. (it sure smells like it!!) I'm not sure though so don't quote me on it. I hope this wouldn't be considered "overdoing it."

Anyhoo, I can't wait to get Spoetnik cured and sampled. These plants are fuckin greasy!! You put your hand in there to move a leaf and when you pull it out it feels like you just put your hand in a bucket of ganja butter. Yummy!! PUFF PUFF!!

BlueHalo

WOW!! There really isn't many peeps out there using these bulbs or what?? Not a posting from anyone around here for a bit.

The only gripe that I have so far with this bulb is that it seems to take the pistils and glands a bit longer to ripen to perfection.
This won't be a tried and true fact for spoetnik until I can do a run with just good clones from my mother plant powerhouse. Next harvest I will have something up against to test this strains strength and weaknesses the Phillips Mastercolor 400 watt CMH.

AT THE MOMENT WE NEED MORE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THESE BULBS SO THAT TOGETHER WE CAN FIND WHICH STRAINS PERFORM BEST UNDER THESE LIGHTS AND WHICH ONES DON'T. PUFF PUFF!!!

divenosa

Just finished by run with 1600W CMH and yield was down, buds were fluffy (could have been high temps in the room) and lacked penetration on 2 foot plants. The trich production was better than usual though. I'm going to do a comparison run with a horti 400 HPSthe next round and will post the results using the same strain.

-BlueHalo: good to see you out there experimenting and posting.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

I think that the CMH train has run its course....

And judgijng from my results other then a temp drop or a veg light its all good..

For me, it sucked hard in flower and I have since stopped recommending them.

minds_I

BlueHalo

Hey, thanks for stopping by ~ Divenosa ~ and ~ Minds I ~ Thanks for the encouragement as well. Experimenting has resulted in the finest cannabis that this world has to offer the true connoisseur of fine dank. Too bad to hear about you heat issues Divenosa and way too bad that it sucked for you in flower like it has with me Minds I. It's taking them forever....Maybe the CMH will work better on the Blackberry strain that I am doing next along with Pure Power. PUFF PUFF!!!:joint:
.......Oh yeah, Puffing on some of the finest Blue Moonshine the West Coast has to offer.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Addendum: I think this light might preform better with a longer flowering time...but this is consistant with my understanding of mh they that take longer to finish anyway (something on the order of one to two weeks in my understanding).

A longer flower time is inconsistant wth my needs so with that said...

I agree experimenting is essentail.

The SPD make so much sense yet the results are not as promising...in my experience.

Never heard of blue moonshine, but I am sure it is the finest...as are most west coast strains. I am fortunate to have a couple of strains out of Shasta and Mendocino counties.

I also have a strain from an old friend at OG. He had a habit of spreading his seed around...almost sounds nasty.

Anyway, good luck all, I truely hope your results are better then mine with the CMH.

minds_I

taureauchien

ok guys, first post here.
i'm using currently a 250 cmh in veg, and 3 400 watt cmh in
flower (1200 watts tightly confined)
i switched to this from 1800 watts of hps ( 3 600 watt lights)

well so far all i can see is better heat control and much healthier
looking plants. cant really give a final bud report yet, i've got
a few more weeks to go.

i will say though that i've had many heat stressed plants and some sick plants, as well as a few outdoor plants moved indoors to these lights.
and within a week they were all turned around and starting to look really good.

i've been following this thread for months, getting opinions and up to recently everything was gung-ho for these lights.
now that a few grow reports recently posted, it seems that maybe there
is more needed to florish.

i've thought about combining cmh with hps to see how it would turn out.
but i need to finish this grow to get any personal opinions first.
i will say it has definately helped with the electric bill!

BlueHalo

Thanks for stopping by guys. ~ Taureauchien ~ I'm thinking that some genetics are more suited to CMH than HPS and vise versa so it will be interesting to see what your results will be using the CMH. Also, what are your genetics? I think that using a mixed spectrum will do better but a lot of us out here are space restricted and don't have the capabilities to run a dual bulb setup.

I'm with you on that one ~ Minds I ~ I don't need an extra week or two on flower. I have patients that I support and need both quality and quantity within a 6 to 8 week flowering time and not 8 to 10 weeks.

Oh yeah, My supposed Tundra (Autoflower) that I got from Attitude that turned out not to Autoflower on me will be ready to chop down tomorrow morning while the lights are off. I don't know what strain Attitude sent me but it is definitely NOT and Autoflower but is some strain of Indica. Only two colas are ready to harvest from one of the plants as the rest of the plants ( WhiteBerry and Spoetnik) are still 10% color change in pistil. The one that is getting chopped is around 80% matured pistils and calyx with milky trychs. PUFF PUFF!!!

I would really like to grow Blue Moonshine from DJ Shorts within the next couple of harvests along with Blackberry from Vancouver Seed Bank. What are on your wish lists?