how come the 400 has a
rated life (15,000 hrs horizontal)

of 5,000 hours less than

the 250 watt that has 20,000 hours?

thanks

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Philips was able to accomplish orienting the bulb in either horiz. or vert. positions using the same arc tube. The patented arc tube and cage allows this to be so, but at the expense of operating hours in the horizontal position.

Why the 250 is able to perform the same hours in horz position is a mystery to me, other than it probably has something to do with the mass of the charged salts.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
has it been mentioned that it would be cool if CMH came with an Gavita style bulb? I for one would try it out.

C

CTSV

"im comin over!!!!!!!!!"
Bring me some of thos city V2s when you come!

Thanks for the props. Would not have been possible without the info I got from you.

"eat a nug.. Fresh youll love it. IE GREEN SALAD>> spicy but good.."

Nothing like a good salad! I love eating some fresh buds.

wickedpete66

None of my digital ballasts will run this lamp, fortunately I kept my 400magnetic ballast. so I'm using this bulb in my veg room. I just purchased the growzilla dual lamp hood. I will be running a 400wt agrosun gold mh and a 400wt super agro hps lamp in flower room

I was contemplating buying another 400hps mag ballast, but the size of the digitals are just to accommodating to swap out, plus the digi's run normal bulbs just fine

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
pete, if it were me, I would use the mh in the veg and put the cmh in with the hps for flower. That combination is giving me the tightest and knarliest nugs I have ever grown.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
I'm going to grab 1 or 2 of these 400's this week & swap out the 2x600 lumis in my veg room.
Need to see the results with my own eyes, before I fork out a few K on new gear. :p

If all goes well? I'm goin' shoppin...

w/plant grid overlay

:rasta:

Last edited:
C

CTSV

Looks like a really well planned array, Chef. Can't wait to see it, 50 days into 12/12! :rasta:

G13 Diesel
51923DSCN1941.JPG

Last edited:

OsWiZzLe

wickedpete66 said:
None of my digital ballasts will run this lamp, fortunately I kept my 400magnetic ballast. so I'm using this bulb in my veg room. I just purchased the growzilla dual lamp hood. I will be running a 400wt agrosun gold mh and a 400wt super agro hps lamp in flower room

I was contemplating buying another 400hps mag ballast, but the size of the digitals are just to accommodating to swap out, plus the digi's run normal bulbs just fine

Pete the Growzilla with (2) 400 CMH blows.....for some reason u cant keep the lights any closer then 12 inches without burning the hell out of them....but then when i went one 600 watt hps and one 400 watt CMH it gave the perfect combo....plus the penetration on dual 400 cmh is weak bro....very weak...

Simba, i looked for the lamps you recommended in the UK, and the closest i can find is a G12 socket capsule lamp of 150w in either 3000k or 4200k.. it's Master colour 150w, both spectrums are universal op. position, 14000 lumen 12000 hour lamps.. no open fixture (protected) lamps here it seems

they just dont seem to sell the specific lamp here :(

i guess i could make a light hood/cool tube for a non protected lamp though

EDIT: i might order a lamp or two from the US and run on a UK (230vac 50hz) ballast, found the right lamp on a US store, protected 4k short tube

Last edited:
B

BlueberryNutz

i finally ordered mine a few days ago. hopefully my ballast will run the damn thing. if not i get to go buy more shit haha

C

CTSV

BlueberryNutz said:
i finally ordered mine a few days ago. hopefully my ballast will run the damn thing. if not i get to go buy more shit haha

Man, I love buying grow shit! Congrats on the purchase, you will never look back.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Get with the program people! CMH is worthless and produces crappy smoke. We know because Oswizzle says so ... what ... why is everyone laughing at me?

ThinkGREEN

...just one of Chromes chromeys ;)
ICMag Donor
hi,
this is a very interesting thread!
Just what I was looking for... :jump:
I`ve been eyeballing those CMH bulbs for a while now... now I finally got 2x for a RX7s socket.
The 2 I have:
1x CDM-TD 150W (942) for vegetation and
1x CDM-TD 150W (830) for flowering.

For my little experiment, I took an old HQI lamp apart and reconstructed it with a bigger DIY reflector + a new ballast.

In about 2 weeks, I`m planning on trying a sort of Low Level grow with those bulbs and a hydro system.

My question is, has anybody tried exactly those bulbs? They seem to be quite decent... :chin:

greetz
ThinkGREEN