What's new

Cep's Outdoor Odyssey

FatherEarth

Veteran
You going to thin those globes out at all? They look ultra dense, looking like a lot of bud sites on those girls. Nice work :)

I get that there is a structuring associated with water when it is interacting with the hydrophilic parts of cells, but how is the "structure" held outside those environments? We can talk about esoteric subjects in this thread. I'd need to know more about a product like that before I dropped $600 on it.

I use a Berkey filter at home. You can filter raw sewage through it apparently.

Reading through the thread now. Just got to here and I know there's a bunch of info coming up with astera. Before I get to there is there a runoff with the Berkey filter. My ro system has a waste of like 2 to 1 and I really want to lower water usage on the property. I was just reading their website a bit but I didn't notice anything quickly. Are you happy with yours? What size did you get or model rather.

Finally finished this thread. Damn cep you are doing real great. Everyone who is contributing here I truly thank. I owe each of you a beer or a joint if your not the drinking type. Please hold me to it if we ever meet. Taking things one step ahead for sure. I just wish I knew a few years ago, I have been wasting so much time. Here's to the future!

C

Cep

I don't know if I'll thin anymore. How late is too late? I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Reading through the thread now. Just got to here and I know there's a bunch of info coming up with astera. Before I get to there is there a runoff with the Berkey filter. My ro system has a waste of like 2 to 1 and I really want to lower water usage on the property. I was just reading their website a bit but I didn't notice anything quickly. Are you happy with yours? What size did you get or model rather.

Sorry I should've said I use it for drinking water. I'm very happy with it, but it could only supply a small hobby grow.

This is a plant that will probably die:
picture.php

Visible rot near the base. Not the first time I've seen hemp canker in the plot and I think my application of preventative was too late to take in the soil or wasn't viable. I'll be running mycostop through the driplines because I'm seeing uneven growth in some plant canopies:

picture.php

The left side of the shell on the above pictured plant has a section with slower growth that I suspect is linked to fungus in that side of the root system.

The mistake I feel I made was waiting to till in last years straw (likely harboring overwintering fungal pathogens). I started working the soil in May because it finally got dry enough. Even though I used biodigester there is still some old residue left in the soil. Pathogens will always be present but getting more complete decomposition of the previous years waste is a good way to reduce their populations.

I also feel that clones are more susceptible than seed starts. I've noticed on several plants over the years that the roots of clones can strangle each other or crack open in odd places especially when the plants are growing fast. Both these occurrences are opportunities for disease to take hold. I feel more confident with seed plants because the root system seems to develop in a way that limits strangulation by adjacent roots.

It pains me to grow a sick plant and I'm in a melancholy mood looking at the plot today. However, I'd like my threads to be realistic/transparent.

Most farmers in other industries grow from seed and so did I the first year I was at this property. I went to clones because of the uniformity but mono cropping is something I dislike about modern agriculture. I don't think I'll do it again.

On the upside I was coerced to plant a bunch of sick cush plants three weeks back and was able to turn them around with some foliar love:

picture.php

They're chugging along and should yield respectably.

Interesting post. I never paid much attention to fungal infections. Seems I should start. I was also thinking the same thing as you for next year and run all from seed. It is what I did this year and am really happy about results. I think I am going to build a dedicated greenhouse on site for vegging and sexing seeds. I have a few hundred I've made and I really want to see what they can do. On the indoor I was also thinking about stopping clone production for now and start running seedstock. The mono crop thing has never been me either. I know that's how you hit the numbers etc but, I just love cannabis so much, all strains and forms. Being in pain looking at the garden was how my last run went. Chopping down for harvest was a feeling of, thank god that's done time to make everything perfect again. Life got in the way of my ladies and they definitely told me. Either way, great thread, great plants and this isn't even a setback, just a learning experience about prevention.

C

CaliGabe

On the upside I was coerced to plant a bunch of sick cush plants three weeks back and was able to turn them around with some foliar love:

View Image

They're chugging along and should yield respectably.
That 'cush' aka Green Crack? That 'foliar love' helping a bunch of friends this year. Next year believe they start with better soil and think all will.

C

Cep

I guess mono cropping isn't what I meant because I'm still mono cropping cannabis for the most part. What I mean is I'd like more variation. Any industry that relies on clones runs into serious problems in the long run, bananas are a good example. I do have some odd balls in the mix this year though. Spilanthes/Acmella "toothache plant", this one is a fun party trick:
picture.php

Gabe, yes same plant. A good one at that.

I picked up some Agtec netting. It's cheaper than hortinova and seems like the same thing.
picture.php

Also have been doing soil drenches with 55 gallon barrels hooked up at the head of each row. The hard line runs from a reservoir. All I have to do is shut the valve to the lines, open the valve to the barrel and it back fills with the pressure from the res. My well water is .6EC, mostly Ca & Mg but there's also bicarbonates and a pinch of Iron. I've been mixing Humacarb, SRP, various N sources in small amounts, the Biological Advantage products, enzymes.

picture.php
picture.php

C

CaliGabe

In Cali Green Crack is a whored out bitch and pretty much has run its course. Grown great its pretty darn good IMO. Pretty much the same story with Blue Dream.

C

Cep

I don't want to hear about her past Gabe. She is pretty, smells good and treats me right!

theJointedOne

Veteran
I concur, prob with most cush you see out west here is its commonly one of the go to mersh strains....and most stuff grown mersh style is just ok at best.

Ive seen lots of pounds of outdoor gc over the years from the 530. Most of it is just ok, but then other varieties from the same grower are also "just ok". When i find some amazing, hawaain punch smelling frosty zesty cush, usually the growers other stuff is also on that level.

what im trying to say is lots of crappy greenrush/old school growers grow the shit out of gc, and to them if its green its good. I see much more crappy bud than good these past 5-7 years.

C

Cep

They just want to have sex. No boys allowed on the property.
picture.php
picture.php

Also have a leaf side by side. Both test at 19.5 brix and above 7.0pH. Foliar applications heavy in P, S, and a little N don't seem to be able to drop the pH below 7. Soil drenching isn't changing much either. I'm not sure how concerned I should be because I'm not really seeing many bugs. There were a few white flies on the plant with stem rot but thats it.
picture.php

The leaf on the left is from Odyssey, leaf on the right is from a black cherry soda. Could be that some varieties are more forgiving of high K soils.

talktosamson

Veteran
Plants are huge this year Cep, looking fantastic. Show is just about getting ready to start here shortly, cant wait to see what happens.

Looking great cep! I personally love the variation I get with all my seed plants. It would be boring to me to have them be all the exact same.

C

Cep

Stretch is done on the odysseys
picture.php
picture.php

The sub par health cush plants have really hit their stride. I really enjoy tending this row, this plant size is so easy to manage:
picture.php

Will take a second round of petiole samples soon. I've been adding gypsum, epsom, calphos, ammonium sulphate, and various micros in sulphate form through the drippers. Interesting to see how that changes the tissue values.

FatherEarth

Veteran
Wow those are looking superb.

So does this oddessy have an autoflower quality? Seems the ones I got are starting to flower on their own, w 17 hour days. Shes stacking and Im not sure why. Looks like its going to yield nicely though.

Tell us about that toothache party trick plant...?

C

Cep

Odyssey is just fast. Not much trouble with pre flowering outside surprisingly. I didn't have supplemental lighting this year either.

The toothache plant produces a local anesthetic, thought to be spilanthol. Instant numbing. The first time I chewed a flower up I was drooling like a cretin. It's not really unpleasant, just startling how strong and fast the onset is.