What's new

Cedar Grove Compost

GoneRooty

I've looked at it under the microscope and it's highly bacterial. They're not letting it finish because they're trying to compost so much food waste and material from local municipal food collections. I wouldn't use it for my plants, I think there's better stuff here in the NW. I certainly wouldn't say it's as good as the Marwest from what I've seen.

Can you grow in it? Yeah...it's probably better than any of the Miracle Grow mixes or something that's been sitting on the shelves for a long time, but I can think of a few better products you can find locally.

I'm glad someone can verify my feelings of them not letting it compost long enough. I was finding uncomposted material in their potting soil which contained their compost. Some bags were really good, and others were total crap, which is why I quit using it.

S

schwagg

McLendons Hardware is carrying this now. i'm curious to see what it looks like under the microscope.

picture.php

i just added a yard of the Cedar Grove to my veggie garden. super active with molds/fungi
all kinds of weird crap sproutin' up.

mad professor

I've looked at it under the microscope and it's highly bacterial. They're not letting it finish because they're trying to compost so much food waste and material from local municipal food collections. I wouldn't use it for my plants, I think there's better stuff here in the NW. I certainly wouldn't say it's as good as the Marwest from what I've seen.

Can you grow in it? Yeah...it's probably better than any of the Miracle Grow mixes or something that's been sitting on the shelves for a long time, but I can think of a few better products you can find locally.

I looked some of this over at the seattle garden show for my intro to microscopy and we had the same conclusion, nothing to special biologically, but if its cheap enough it'd be nice for some folk to get and then activate before use if they have the space and time to wait.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
McLendons Hardware is carrying this now. i'm curious to see what it looks like under the microscope.

picture.php

i just added a yard of the Cedar Grove to my veggie garden. super active with molds/fungi
all kinds of weird crap sproutin' up.

I'm liking the looks of this one. Since I'm in Belfair here and there I can swing by the place next time I'm up that way and check it out.
If there are no cigarette butts and bottle caps to be found it may be good stuff.

CC,
I've seen this one advertised by the manufacturer...And they're Oregon-based. This thing is a pig...It will eat over 125 lbs of inputs/day and kick out 50 lbs/day of castings. That's 18 tons per year for inputs and 9 tons of castings....Better have a hookup with a farm or grocer for discarded veggies and have a good supply of good/organic manure. I'd love to have one of those.

These guys also manufacture the Worm Wigwam - another high priced, high input/output flow through worm bin...

Von

Last week I went on a 'fact finding tour' of worm breeders as well as those running worm operations for the castings. Quite a different set-up and process as I learned.

I looked at one gentleman's worm bin that he bought to be able to use the African Nightcrawlers - here's a photo of the bin...........

model5-6.gif

Temperature controlled as well as monitoring the air/aeration in the bin. I was more than a little impressed - especially when he told me that he paid $7,500.00 for the unit (includes delivery). "You mean you spent that much money just to raise a type of worm? Man, I need to introduce my wife to your wife!"

Then it was on to worm breeders and their set-ups which was generally 4' x 8' x 8" fiberglass trays where the food items are placed in the bins and allowed to decompose for several days and turned and inoculated with worms or cocoons. Once the material has been digested the worms are harvested to fill orders.

The one constant in the 5 worm operations I visited was the use of manure - even bagged steer manure from nurseries. Same with the composted chicken and horse manures.

As was pointed out to me that while produce (or kitchen scraps) are definitely something you want to feed your worms it is difficult to produce large volumes of castings. Even nutrient dense vegetables like beets are 84% water and by the time you get to the lettuces you're up over 98% water.

It was an interesting look at how others are doing things.

CC

I also found some extraneous junk in my Cedar Grove compost. A a few pieces of metal and some plastic...I used it anyways and the plants are looking good! I plan on using a few bags for the next batch of soil that I make.

C

CC_2U

CC,
I've seen this one advertised by the manufacturer...And they're Oregon-based. This thing is a pig...It will eat over 125 lbs of inputs/day and kick out 50 lbs/day of castings. That's 18 tons per year for inputs and 9 tons of castings....Better have a hookup with a farm or grocer for discarded veggies and have a good supply of good/organic manure. I'd love to have one of those.

These guys also manufacture the Worm Wigwam - another high priced, high input/output flow through worm bin...

Mizzafishkilla

The thing is that the main feature is the temperature control system built into this box is easily duplicated.

Vermico.com (Dan Holcombe's company) sells the Worm Bin Heater Cables for $29.99 and are 12' in length. According to the vendor this cable only draws 42 watts,

It would seem (to me at least) that if one built a box out of 3/4" plywood that one could embed this cable into the walls of the bin in the top 10" of the bedding. Something like that.

That would give you 90% of what this system is providing at about 2% of the cost by DYI.

Just a thought.

Then again if you wanted to use African Nightcrawlers or Blue Worms then this vermicompost system might pay for itself in a couple of years at the current price of castings in the PNW - about $33.00 per c.f.

CC

mad librettist

Veteran
Von

Last week I went on a 'fact finding tour' of worm breeders as well as those running worm operations for the castings. Quite a different set-up and process as I learned.

I looked at one gentleman's worm bin that he bought to be able to use the African Nightcrawlers - here's a photo of the bin...........

model5-6.gif

Temperature controlled as well as monitoring the air/aeration in the bin. I was more than a little impressed - especially when he told me that he paid $7,500.00 for the unit (includes delivery). "You mean you spent that much money just to raise a type of worm? Man, I need to introduce my wife to your wife!"

Then it was on to worm breeders and their set-ups which was generally 4' x 8' x 8" fiberglass trays where the food items are placed in the bins and allowed to decompose for several days and turned and inoculated with worms or cocoons. Once the material has been digested the worms are harvested to fill orders.

The one constant in the 5 worm operations I visited was the use of manure - even bagged steer manure from nurseries. Same with the composted chicken and horse manures.

As was pointed out to me that while produce (or kitchen scraps) are definitely something you want to feed your worms it is difficult to produce large volumes of castings. Even nutrient dense vegetables like beets are 84% water and by the time you get to the lettuces you're up over 98% water.

It was an interesting look at how others are doing things.

CC

look carefully at the worm wigwam. See that little hand crank? You turn that and the music comes out. We've gone from organ grinder to decomposer.

C

CC_2U

Back to the Cedar Grove Compost product - since it's unfinished (as noted by GoneRooty & Schwagg) and it's high in bacteria count (CT_Guy) then wouldn't this be a perfect worm bin food?

Or amy I missing something?

CC

GoneRooty

Back to the Cedar Grove Compost product - since it's unfinished (as noted by GoneRooty & Schwagg) and it's high in bacteria count (CT_Guy) then wouldn't this be a perfect worm bin food?

Or amy I missing something?

CC

Hmmm good idea, and at like $4 for the compost or booster blend for a 1cf bag, it's not gonna too expensive. Maybe after the worms get done with it, it will be what cedar grove wanted it to be.

C

CC_2U

GR

Finishing thermal compost with worms is far more common than I realized before last week.

Makes all kinds of sense - to me at least.

CC

CC, be careful of feeding the worm bin anything that has wood in it (twigs/bark), etc. that are a component of a good compost. They are slow to break down. That is unless you actually want the lignin-based materials in your castings...I don't because I sift mine and the "big stuff" comes out anyways...

In a flow through worm bin that has 12-18" of material in it, you will harvest the castings of the "raw material" that you put in 4-6 weeks prior - not enough time for lignin to break down. IMHO, stick with manure + food scraps. Let me know, and I can deliver you however much alpaca manure you want.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
that worm bin looks fancy.

cc i want to see pics of your new monster bin!

hmm now i understand why i was getting great castings coming out of some old pots of soil...

C

CC_2U

Here are a couple of photos while it was being constructed. This was put together in a few hours so there's a certain lack of 'finish' - it's just a wood box with a grate in the bottom.

The red handle is a bar which has a handle on the other side. This bar slides along the length of the worm bin to 'shake loose' the finished castings. For lack of a better phrase.

That's it - no big deal. Just big! LOL

CC

5784114653_14f3d2f7c6.jpg

5784114587_a0b48f0793.jpg

C

CC_2U

I picked up 10 bags of the Cedar Grove Compost this afternoon - looks like it'll be worm castings at some point down the road.

The cocoons that I purchased are beginning to hatch - and there's a lot of them. In about 6 weeks or so they'll be mature enough to begin reproducing. A single worm can produce 900 cocoons per year and each cocoon will have between 3 - 6 worms each. Sometimes more if you have the conditions dialed in, i.e. temperature, food stocks, aeration, moisture, etc.

CC

GoneRooty

So I was eating at a restaurant in town tonight, and was looking at their compost bin (a lot of our restaurants compost food wastes) and noticed that it says that meats, dairy, bones, etc are ok. So I made me think, I bet the Seattle area collects compost the same way, meaning that Cedar Grove is probably trying to compost tons of meats and dairy products, which could be why it is so bacterial and unfinished? Maybe they need to start doing bokashi, then composting it.

C

CC_2U

GR

Vermicomposting on a commercial scale handle meat, fish, dairy with no problem.

The advice against using it in a home worm set-up is a good one. By commercial I'm referring to a worm operation processing several tons a week which it sounds like the Seattle program would provide. There are a couple of similar operations around Portland but their approach is that they first use a thermal compost process and then it is used as food for the worms.

The largest worm operation in the Western Hemisphere (according to CNN, MSNBC, et al.) is Worm Power in Upstate New York. They use dairy manure which is first composted (legitimate - not just piled somewhere for a few weeks) and then it is mixed with plant material in the form of silage and then it is fed to their worm bins - as of last October they had over 60 million worms in their set-up. They produce massive amounts of worm castings as well as vermicompost which is produced for distribution in the Northeast. Lots of good videos of their operation and worth checking out.

CC

C

CC_2U

And that photo was taken 6 years ago - look at the newer photos of the upgrade they completed last fall. 60 million worms!