What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD vs THC dispensary cost

weedape

I noticed my local dispensary is now selling CBD isolate at $50 a gram while THC isolate goes for $100. Shouldn’t this be the other way around? Plants can produce twice as much THC as CBD, so assuming similar extraction costs, it would cost more than twice as much to produce a gram of CBD.

If CBD isolate can be sold at a profit for $50 a gram, then by my math, a gram of THC could likewise be profitably sold for $25. Are all the medical patients in the state of Maryland who use concentrates being ripped off or am I missing something here?

goingrey

I'm not sure you're correct about plants being able to produce twice as much THC as CBD. Probably the theoretical max is about the same for both.

So why don't they cost the same?

Well it comes down to supply and demand.

There is a huge demand for THC because it gets you high.

And a huge supply of CBD from all the hemp fields, where THC maxes out at 0.3% or whatever due to regulations.

weedape

Highest CBD strains are about 15% while THC levels reach over 30. Check around. I get that it’s supply and demand but my point stands. THC costs half as much to produce as CBD but costs twice as much in a system that is supposed to service medical patients. The fact that the state is not doing anything to help us get cheaper medicine makes me sick. I should be able to get a gram of concentrate for $25 and these greedy bastards would still make more money than I could ever dream. Supply is kept low by state licensed monopolies while demand keeps going up. That’s what allows them to set whatever price they want; lack of real competition in the marketplace.

goingrey

The 30% THC flowers are pretty rare and probably won't be used to make isolate. And are the result of years of breeding towards high THC content. Pretty sure it could be done for CBD as well. Probably not the highest yielders either and unlikely to be so potent if just grown on a field outdoors and so on. I'm still quite convinced the the theoretical cost to produce both THC and CBD is about the same.

It's true though, if there were no regulations on THC (supply kept low by licensed monopolies), prices would plummet.

weedape

I guess I won’t stop complaining until insurance pays for my medicine, I can’t be fired or denied a job, and I’m allowed to drive after reasonable medical use just like my neighbor who is prescribed pain killers. Having a medical need for a plant shouldn’t make people second class citizens. Oh, and I guess not being allowed to own a gun would bother me too if I had any cause to own one.
Until then I’ll just keep singing to the choir.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I'm pretty sure you can order CBD isolate from colorado companies for around $15/gram online.

The licensing in most states is significantly less paranoid taxed for hemp vs thc plants. You do not see seed to sale tracking and 24/7 state cameras for hemp. So yeah, hemp products are cheaper to produce by far which includes CBD..

Latest posts

Latest posts