What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD from hemp = CBD from cannabis?

Old Piney

Cannabinoids such as CBD and THC can be produced by engineered yeast now, amongst other things.

The future of production isn't huge greenhouses that use lots of electric. Medical users will likely loose access to plant based Cannabinoids, when they can be made with so much less damage to the planet. CO2 targets need to be met, and when 3% of Cali's power generation is growing plants, it's an easy and effective target. One that really has no argument to continue.
Recreational use is a bit different, but we have seen smoking turn to vaping. Both for green and tobacco. So how will buying green look, beside much cheaper extracts. Then how will the tax man react, when he can say high green tax is to save the planet, and we can get stoned some other way.

Sorry.. I should of stopped at yeast.
Just creepy ,and we can grow a human ear on a mouse too. What about all the turps and minor cannabinoids? Why not just grow cannabis outside without a heated greenhouse or lights?,Like they do now for CBD production. If you want silly strong THC make hash. By far the best most economical an ecological way to grow just about any plant crop is outside in a suitable environment. Regardless yeast is also a plant that needs to be heated as well, It also needs sugar that must be extracted from farm grown crops . This is something I bet the Berkely Professor working at a federally funded lab failed to take into account. It's cool technology and I'm sure it has good applications with certain drug production , but why reinvent the wheel. Also the waste biomass from growing cannabis can also be used to produce fuel .Why reinvent the wheel? Yeast is good for bread , wine and beer .

Last edited:

Ca++

It's not just THC and CBD, but a whole host of cannabinoids that have already been done.

I would be happy enough to see indoor kept as a black market product, and the legal production done outside. Why should someone in the arctic expect to be a cannabis grower. Though if they have geothermal energy to harness, then that's a licensing issue. On the other hand, shouldn't the equatorial countries be producing equatorial products. There are a few mental hurdles in the way though. Some people think global warming isn't real, and that 2% stronger, is worth paying 20% more for.

Big business has no love for the plant, it's just product. The lighting bill is huge, and unlike brewing, heat recovery isn't on peoples minds, to make a carbon neutral product. It's more likely we will find AC being used to ditch heat. There is also a space issue. Space to grow plants isn't unlimited. People are moving plants onto roof tops, and food crops are being grown in tiered systems. Water use is seeing land turn to desert, as out food needs increase. There is a big picture that few people really have in focus. It might be horrifying for a grower to think all these acres of illuminated greenhouse investments have a limited lifetime. However the true med users that just need a pill, don't need to be adding so much pressure on the eco system. Though I'm not daft. The only reason it's happening, is because it's cheaper.

We will likely have bud all our lives, but perhaps not cigarettes, as our olds might of. The next gen might be vaping, and have little interest in solids (which can be faked) or bud, at comparatively high prices. Remember people are faking buds already. Anything is possible. Outdoor artificially pumped up to 50%, is not hard to imagine. Where would that leave 30% indoor. actually, I have some green that been soaked in oil, then rolled in shake. It's just a matter of when it's everywhere.

For now though, CBD from flowers seems a lot more integral to my lifestyle.

cannabisexpert

Hello Team, Great Discussion On CBD

CBD derived from hemp and cannabis share identical molecular structures, offering similar therapeutic benefits. Despite originating from different varieties of the Cannabis sativa plant, both contain CBD, but hemp has negligible THC, making it non-intoxicating. This makes CBD from hemp and cannabis equally safe and effective for various health concerns.