What's new

Caterpillars, the crop killers!

MedResearcher

Veteran
Certain cannabis terps/smells seem to attract them a LOT more than others.

Grape/Urkle, fruity stuff attracts them more for sure. Had 43 this year, all different phenos. Cats hit exactly and only 2 plants. Both were very loud sweet grape smells.

Have talked with other long term outdoor growers that have observed the same thing.

The one plant they hit, #4. Was my favorite, not the biggest, but early, frosty as hell, dense, reeking like over ripe grape throwup. Cloned it, would like to run a bunch next year.... but since it attracts the cats might not be a good idea/easy to run a bunch of it.

Grow gassy, fuel, flavors. Then just trade or buy some fruit so you can have both. Those cats are serious criminals.

I also do agree/have observed, they tend to hit the main branchs/colas. Although I strongly believe the smell draws them in.

Mr^^

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I posted the cat pics on the first page. That year we grew six strains and found cats on all of them. The year before was similar with different strains and all got wiped out. I'm not an entomologist, but I think there might be a few variables in play regarding which plants get hit.

I built a greenhouse after that. Way easier.

edit:

Thinking about this a bit more, it's possible that all of the strains I was growing were in the hierarchy of attractions for egg laying over other vegetation close by.

Last edited:

bigpeter

I may be wrong but that appears to be a weevil grub, weevils do have a habit of boring down into the stems of plants, also I see no evidence of caterpillar damage to leaves.

G

I dont think this has been mentioned but caterpillars are easier to catch at sunrise and sunset.
Where I live it is still very hot, and they bury themselves in the soil to avoid the extreme heat.

At sunset they come up and resume their bud-shitting activities.

I hate them so much lol.

G

I forgot to mention, a trick that works well sometimes is to wait until its dark, then carefully shaking the branches in the same way they usually shake almond trees and olive trees. You can then see them falling to the ground and running for their lives.

Latest posts

Latest posts