What's new

Cash-crop legal plants?

ripman

Hey,

I've read a while ago that, if you have land, some plants will yield you more buck than others, as they are very sought out for making pills, creams, etc... I heard one of such cases is aloe vera.
By the way, does anybody know of other plants that might make a field really profitable? If the thing about aloe vera is true, how can the farmer sell it, who does he have to contact, is there a sort of "stock market"?

med_breeder

depending on what zone you live in, I would go with Saffron. Last time I checked it was about $1,300US per pound.

peace

B

buddymate

Best saffron in the world is grown in Kashmir,but trust me,you need a LOT of saffron to make a kilo in weight :laughing: I used to drink saffron lassi in srinagar,beautiful stuff,can it be grown at low altitude?

ripman

Yes I thought as well of saffron, but as far as I know, it yields very poorly :(
Would be nice to know if there's a way to grow Truffles, and how much time it takes to grow them... but as far as I know the pricy truffles grow only in certain regions under particular trees, so I doubt this as well.
Anybody knows more about aloe vera or other plants which sell well in the market?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We grow aloe vera in the bathroom,, propagates itself,, :D

Like most crops you'd need lots of space to make a edible return, let alone cash from it..

Some essential oils are expensive like bergamot, and from trees frankincense and myrrh.

Cashew nuts,, grapes,, raspberries,, cherries ,, and fresh asparagus fetch a good price at market.

So do mushrooms / fungi ,,, and these days fresh herbs like tarragon n tyme.

The ultimate natural resource ,, sourced from the flowers of the above has to bee (hehe) honey ,, which when locally produced and marketed to tourists makes bee-keepers a tidy profit.

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i know a couple guys that make a nice chunk of change off.....lettuce. no shit. i cannot claim to know the ins and outs of thier business, but might be worth checking into. by the way, they got thier start w herb, and then switched over full time.

Longskate

peppers

peppers

A tapas pepper called Pimientos de padron sell for $25 per kg.

Pimientos de Padrón are small green peppers roughly the size of your thumb. They’re fried in olive oil, salted, and served at many tapas bars in Spain. Besides being salty and sweet, most people eat Pimientos de Padrón for the fun of it. Eating them is considered a form of culinary Russian roulette. Some are sweet. Others are hot enough to keep you humble. Some people say one in every five peppers is a hot one, others say the larger ones are the hottest, but in my experience, there’s only one way to find out—pick one up by the stem and take a bite.

billy_big_bud!

Proud Cannadian Cannabist
Veteran
hey subrob, any chance you know what particular species of lettuce they grow? i could die happy being a lettuce farmer. plus i love salads.

guineapig

Veteran
Rare orchids.....these orchid people are just about as crazy as we are....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
no dude, I am too old for that stuff now, but I get kids in the head shop all the time buying it.

They are buying bongs at the same time, I could not imagine hittin that with a bong

M

masterKahn

Don't forget a large field of plants is a pain to take care of. Go for something easy and highly marketable. Corn is going up in price and very easy to grow. Things like grapes could take years to even fruit let alone the expertise needed to make them grow well.

Soybeans are also a huge cash crop used in so many things. The real money is not in the field but the greenhouse!!

Think about it you go to the store in the dead of winter and they have tomatoes and berries for double or triple the normal price. Alot of that is grown very far away where the climate is still suitable for those plants. The other place they are grown are in Hydroponic climate controlled green houses in the USA. Hydroponic lettuce farms can out produce dirt lettuce many times over. It grows faster and bigger allowing for more harvests of bigger heads of lettuce and all year long!! When the temps go down and your the only lettuce game in town you can name your price.

Lettuce travels much better then berries and tomatoes so it's not as big of a difference in winter. On top of all this you can pick your fruits when ripe and have them in the store in hours. In Mexico they pick green tomatoes and expose them to gas to make them look ripe and they end up being disgusting. I cut open a "Vine ripe" tomato and the inside was neon green and not tasty.

I have a 5' beef master tomato plant outside covered in green tomatoes. A small one ripened a few days ago and it was the best damn tomato I've ever eaten.

MMAJAY

Salvia Divinorum: North Carolina Latest State to Ban or Regulate Sally D

The Tarheel State is about to become the latest to ban salvia divinorum, the potent but fast-acting hallucinogen that has become increasingly popular among young drug experimenters in recent years. A bill that would do that, SB 138, now sits on the desk of Gov. Beverly Perdue, who is expected to sign it. Last week, the House approved the measure by a vote of 94-15. It earlier passed the Senate on a unanimous 45-0 vote.

salvialeaves.jpg

salvia leaves (photo courtesy Erowid.org)
The bill makes possession of salvia an infraction, a minor crime punishable by a maximum $25 fine. A third possession offense would be charged as a misdemeanor. The bill has no separate provisions for charging manufacturing or sales offenses.
The bill includes two exemptions. The first is for ornamental gardening; the second is for university-affiliated researchers.
North Carolina will join 14 other states and a handful of towns and cities that have banned or regulated salvia in recent years, the most recent being the resort town of Ocean City, Maryland, earlier this month. Salvia is not a prohibited controlled substance under federal law, although the DEA is evaluating whether it should be, a process that has gone on for more than five years now

MMAJAY

I tried salvia. Its not for me for sure. I was tripping bad from some 10x. It might still be legal per say but i don't want no part of it.

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
sure the extract sells for a lot but
#1: those people are assholes who dont have a soul and whore out anything for a buck
#2: salvia extracts are stupid
#3: salvia leaf is not easily produced en mass to make $ off (not only that, but once you harvest your leaf you'd have to go extract it)
#4: the salvia market is pretty well flooded with shit

BigForest

chester p for prez!!!!!!!!!!!!

chester p for prez!!!!!!!!!!!!

chester p is the truth

We grow aloe vera in the bathroom,, propagates itself,, :D

Like most crops you'd need lots of space to make a edible return, let alone cash from it..

Some essential oils are expensive like bergamot, and from trees frankincense and myrrh.

Cashew nuts,, grapes,, raspberries,, cherries ,, and fresh asparagus fetch a good price at market.

So do mushrooms / fungi ,,, and these days fresh herbs like tarragon n tyme.

The ultimate natural resource ,, sourced from the flowers of the above has to bee (hehe) honey ,, which when locally produced and marketed to tourists makes bee-keepers a tidy profit.