What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Casey Jones Grow Along

LouDog420

Thanks buddy, appreciate the head's up. Glad to hear all is still rocking... Few things I'll just type straight up if he is able to view...

MF, definitely a bit finicky. She'll toss some serious single nanners at the end, moreso with high heat. Not a bad blue specimen, but really having a hard time deciding to keep her or not... Expected more from the mental floss, in all honestly... Only dug through one pack, but that girl, no doubt, was the best the pack had to offer...

DSD, just quick and rock solid. Nothing too special about smell and aroma, but she is a frosty gal and can yield with the right space. Could use an easier trim, but she does the job...

Didn't see anything about the ghaze... [nycd x g13/haze] x agent orange... Sativa monster from catnip seeds... One of my favorite cuts and goes 75 minimum and have taken her to 90+, but just a pleasure (effect, smells, structure, yield, vigor, etc)... I think that girl had a hard time making it and needed to be recut, ship in a bottle style, so hoping she made it, cause she is no doubt the most prized of the 3...

ecsd x og/cd is something special... but have since found a straight og chem that is right up there with it, if not better than the ecsd og/cd cut I found, which those beans were based on...

Ya, stay tuned bud, we'll be doing something special with your beans too. Maybe have a dedicated section for those and all the bubble crosses from tony... Once I get to 50, I'll shoot you an email address and maybe we can resume this chat...

Good vibes to you two gentlemen ;)

DJXX

Veteran
hey Lou..good to see you kickin...isn't your CJ used in CSG crosses...cause i though i read it somewhere...i have CJ X SSSDH and was hoping your was in it...thanks and mucho respect...DJXX

LouDog420

Hey DJ, good to see ya buddy. I remember some pretty looking pics from you, and looks like you're still rocking!

I tested for ojd and put out some of my own casey crosses (cj x sb ix1, cj f3, cj bx1, cj x c-plus, and cj x arne's snowdog I think was all I ever released here), but anything by ojd, true, or csg uses true's casey cut.

They seemed very similar (mine and his), but I never had the pleasure. Aroma and taste profiles were described very similarly, but it always looked like true's cut was a better yielder if I had to guess ;)

sssdh x cj from them could be a scary yielder

Good vibes

M

mugenbao

Well, after watching carefully for a few days now, I'm 90% convinced that I've found another Beast pheno in my CJ x SB seeds! :woohoo:

This thing is absolutely massive compared to every other plant started from the same batch of seeds. The striped stem is immense, twice as thick as every other plant. Even the side branches are nearly as thick as other plant's main stems.

It started out growing straight up like a pole, while many of the others had small side branches without topping. It was topped once almost a week ago (it was growing too fast), and the main stem is hollow but very sturdy. Less than a week later the side branches are fairly long, nice and thick, and every one of them is already showing very distinct alternating nodes while the other plants are still throwing symmetrical nodes. Even after topping it's the second tallest plant in the tent right now, and it's a real close second.

I know there's a school of thought that plants which form such thick sturdy stems and branches are spending too much energy on growing lumber, but if it's anything like the original Beast pheno I had then it will still have an enormous amount of frost. That previous plant showed all of these same signs and still ended up being the frostiest plant I've grown to this day, so I'm not too worried about that trait :)

My eyesight is getting pretty bad these days, and I can't get in there close enough to see if it's showing sex yet, but honestly I don't care. I hope it's female, but I'll still be extremely pleased if it's a male and will use every grain of pollen if that's the case.

Probably going to top them all tomorrow and veg them for a couple more weeks, but hopefully I'll see what's what before too much longer :D

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, after watching carefully for a few days now, I'm 90% convinced that I've found another Beast pheno in my CJ x SB seeds! :woohoo:

This thing is absolutely massive compared to every other plant started from the same batch of seeds. The striped stem is immense, twice as thick as every other plant. Even the side branches are nearly as thick as other plant's main stems.

It started out growing straight up like a pole, while many of the others had small side branches without topping. It was topped once almost a week ago (it was growing too fast), and the main stem is hollow but very sturdy. Less than a week later the side branches are fairly long, nice and thick, and every one of them is already showing very distinct alternating nodes while the other plants are still throwing symmetrical nodes. Even after topping it's the second tallest plant in the tent right now, and it's a real close second.

I know there's a school of thought that plants which form such thick sturdy stems and branches are spending too much energy on growing lumber, but if it's anything like the original Beast pheno I had then it will still have an enormous amount of frost. That previous plant showed all of these same signs and still ended up being the frostiest plant I've grown to this day, so I'm not too worried about that trait :)

My eyesight is getting pretty bad these days, and I can't get in there close enough to see if it's showing sex yet, but honestly I don't care. I hope it's female, but I'll still be extremely pleased if it's a male and will use every grain of pollen if that's the case.

Probably going to top them all tomorrow and veg them for a couple more weeks, but hopefully I'll see what's what before too much longer :D

Dude I just had the same fucking thing, outgrew em all from sprout in cups, mine is very wide leaf like a sour bubble male, when i showed pics on the lab loudog spotted it right away just like me.

Can you throw pics? Ive bonzaied mine now but he still outgrows everything i have to keep cutting him back. Ive popped and vegged about 20 beans now, I got a female selected but im still lookin for a better match...

Fuck that noise frost is all about whats in the genes! That thick as stalk is from sour bubble bro, easy to spot this pheno I hope I find a girl to match my boy!

I bet yers is FAT leaf too,,, man i hope you got a girl! Can you show it off? Found mine lookin for the greasy sour pucker power bomb confusion pheno and sumbled across him, now im lookin for his twin lady and the original heno im tryiin to fins gain lol

Lou do you remember the pic of mine at the lab? The dang thread got deleted i think for some reason.... you spotted that giant sucker right away too!

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Oh man , you guys make me wanna pop my CJxSB and the f2s I got here :) Only if I had more space to play with!

Would love to see some of the pics from the beast!

M

mugenbao

Dude I just had the same fucking thing, outgrew em all from sprout in cups, mine is very wide leaf like a sour bubble male, when i showed pics on the lab loudog spotted it right away just like me.
Yeah, I sprout almost everything in Solo cups, and from the start this one was growing faster than the rest. I initially just thought it must be a male until all the other signs I remembered from before started showing up.

Can you throw pics? Ive bonzaied mine now but he still outgrows everything i have to keep cutting him back. Ive popped and vegged about 20 beans now, I got a female selected but im still lookin for a better match...
I'll see if I can find the damned camera. Little shy of pics since the plants haven't fully recovered and are still a bit ragged looking, but I'm still pretty excited about this plant. Like Jack and the freaking magic beanstalk, this mofo shoots up fast!

Fuck that noise frost is all about whats in the genes! That thick as stalk is from sour bubble bro, easy to spot this pheno I hope I find a girl to match my boy!
That's an SB trait, huh? Nice. I notice that some of the plants are already throwing eleven-fingered leaves while this one is still at seven (might be some nines, I'll check at lights on). Does that also sound like SB? I've never grown pure SB before, and thought I had read that it vegges slow. I guess that's not always the case? Nobody could call this slow, lol.

I bet yers is FAT leaf too,,, man i hope you got a girl! Can you show it off? Found mine lookin for the greasy sour pucker power bomb confusion pheno and sumbled across him, now im lookin for his twin lady and the original heno im tryiin to fins gain lol
Fairly fat, yeah. I don't know how fat they could have gotten though, because I've removed the largest fan leaves as they shade out damned near everything lower than them lol :D They probably would have gotten HUGE.

I'll see if I can get in there with a loupe today and spot some preflowers. I can't decide if I'd rather have it be a female or male, though. My primary interest in this one is for breeding purposes, and males are a bit more flexible for that, but females really show their potential so much better, in my opinion. At least with a female I don't have to guess how frosty it will be, etc.

Last edited:

LouDog420

If we remember our Mendelian genetics, that might tell you what's going on...

cjsb ix1 is a mix of crosses. An open pollination of cj x sb, sb x cj, sb f2s, and cj f2s... Meaning those cj x sb and sb x cj that had the pleasure to pollinate each other, and is in essence an f2 generation, giving the potential for some weird mixed up traits from each side of the parentals... Fast casey growth, with fat sour bub stems does not surprise me one bit, as that was the intention (partly)...

My selections were minimal, but leaned towards the fast growers, strong stems, high yields, and mold resistance, as selection and pollinations were all done outdoors between 40 and 42N...

Tony, ya I remember the beast... Too bad they nuked the thread... Honestly that place seemed more like a circle jerk than most I've been too, and the only reason I was there was for the cj grow along and to visit old buddies... No reason to go back now especially after they take it upon themselves to nuke a thread with people growing out a similar variety... The drama in the cannabis board world is just absurd, and it's hard to do anything other than laugh at those who take it to such a serious place :D

We're all here due to our love of cannabis, and to split us into factions based on an interpretation (delusion??) of power is just plain silly. All are always welcome here in the grow along (that's why it's called the 'grow along'), and there may be some sarcastic ribbing from time to time, but all is in good fun, because that's what it's about... Good fun and good cannabis... Nothing more, nothing less... Pop those beans, and cultivate that A grade my friends!

Good vibes and I'll throw my soapbox back in the closet now ;)

M

mugenbao

Damn! Wish I'd picked up more of those seed packs... but really glad to have one in my refrigerator. You go guys!
Nice fat packs sure to contain a few exceptional specimens :D

picture.php

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the fatter beans seem to be more sour b leaners but its all anectdotal to me, fourth one from the left on the right pack is my pick for winner ! :D

M

mugenbao

the fatter beans seem to be more sour b leaners but its all anectdotal to me, fourth one from the left on the right pack is my pick for winner ! :D
It's an old picture. For this run, I selected the twelve largest seeds out of both of those packs, so it's probably safe to say that the one you pointed out is growing in my tent right now :D

Biggest seeds I've ever seen were from a cross I did between Alien Double Dog x Live Fire, both from House of Love. The smallest were the Sam Skunkman Skunk/Haze seeds. So there may be something to that idea :thinking:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
for some reason out of my last gb seed run I got two GIANT seeds, least twice as big as the others, idk why but i havent popped em yet heh.

LouDog420

I've always found seed size to be related to the maternal variety, as they are the ones producing the seed and are limited by calyx size... More sativa it seems, the smaller the beans.

Of course exceptions to every rule, but seems to be pretty true for the most part, and in my experience has definitely held true with the cjsb ix1...

Nice to see ya stop by CR, hope all is well :D

Ya fat packs! They are essentially f2s, so you need enough to do some proper searching and find your own winner, ya know?!

Good vibes all... You got me itching to crack a bunch now, but really shouldn't this second... Ah...

LouDog420

for some reason out of my last gb seed run I got two GIANT seeds, least twice as big as the others, idk why but i havent popped em yet heh.

Just two?? I'd have to guess they were from the tip of a bud... I've gotten some extra large and weird shapes when the pollen hits that topmost apical growth tip...

Or just straight up freaks is always a possibility
peacock.gif

M

mugenbao

Whats the History of The Casey You have M8? ;) (or Have in the X)

:tiphat:
If you mean the Casey Jones x Sour Bubble, i got them back around 2012 I think. Here's LouDog's post about them.

Somewhere in this thread, LouDog goes into more detail about the Casey selections he used but if I remember right they all came from original Head seed packs or his own F2/F3 generations from those packs. I'm sure he can fill out missing info, I'm having trouble finding stuff at the moment (bit crosseyed, lol).

I've also run CSG White Jones (TrueCannabliss CJ cut x The White), but I've never had the pleasure of running straight Casey Jones.