What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cars, Time for a new ride.

more info plz rouge

there was a bill passed that if you have a car that gets a certain amount of miles or gallon or worse they give you 4500 from the government and they melt it down. pretty much the whole point of doing this is to enocourage people to buy new cars and stimulate the economy. it also helps with getting gas guzzlers off the road hence people cant buy a beater car and have to buy a nicer car. if you find a private seller he can always change wut he sold it you for but it cant be a rediculous amount cheaper. say if it was 12k you could have him write it for 8500. and for transactions that go on over 10k they happen all the time...i have done it with my car which was 17k and im only 21 and no red flags were drawn. i have also bought all my other cars with cash and not one word. you can get a really decent car for under 10k.

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
u got a link for this info...? they really give you 4,500 dollars for your old car?!!!!!!! thats insane!!! sounds too good to be true. I know they give you 8 grand for buying a house, but i didnt know about cars. How do i go about doing this? I need a link with solid info plz.

u got a link for this info...? they really give you 4,500 dollars for your old car?!!!!!!! thats insane!!! sounds too good to be true. I know they give you 8 grand for buying a house, but i didnt know about cars. How do i go about doing this? I need a link with solid info plz.

ill look be back back with a link with an edit.

http://www.cars.gov/

read over it a little you have to have a car that gets a combined fuel average of less than 18 mpg and you have to ge a new car or lease a new car sorry it doesnt work for used cars but you can proboally get a nice hyundai elantra new for 14k maybe talk the dealer down and use the 4500 towards a down payment and you can proboally work out something maybe for under 10k but i dont know if that works for you...good luck with the search

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It's so hard to spend money there.. with the IRS that checks every deposit...

In my country if you have the money you can spend it without problem.. of course deposits over 10.000 EUR & equivalent are reported, but you can have no problems if you say a relative lend/gived the money to you. Nobody would check.
As far as going into a car dealarship... you can go with the equivalent of over 100 k and still have no problems. In fact most of the expensive cars around here I think are bought with cash. I hate banks and I only like my money to be cash... and never had a problem spending them. I have never been employed, but also I never sold drugs or stayed between people that do this.

Hope you'll get the car you dream without too much hassle. :wave:

Rouge

Sorry for the delay but bostondutchmaster got the link for ya at cars.gov two post above.
Anyways you don't hear about Germany bailing out Daimler Mercedes Benz, Volvo, or BMW because they have a similar, less stringent, and more generous rebate which have saved their car co's. Car sales over their are up 40%. U think GM and Chrysler would need billions in taxpayers $ if their sales were up 40%. I'd wait if I were you. This shit is going to get worse when the govt. lose more billions in running and then bailing out GM and associates and finally absorbing some lessons in capitalism from the Germans. THEN .............rebate heaven.
However, a bird in the hand.......................

Here's the article from the NYT:

June 27, 2009
Rules May Limit Cash for Clunkers Program
By NICK BUNKLEY and SARA PETERS

DETROIT — In Europe, hundreds of thousands of car owners have taken advantage of government subsidies to get rid of their old vehicles and trade up to new ones. Car sales in Germany are up about 40 percent from a year ago.

But a similar so-called cash-for-clunkers program that starts in July in the United States is not expected to have nearly the same impact. While the program, which President Obama signed into law this week, gives consumers a credit that is in line with the payments in Europe — up to $4,500 — what qualifies as a “clunker” in the United States is far more limited.

Further, the American program has $1 billion in financing, enough for about 250,000 consumers to use it, and ends Nov. 1, or sooner if the money runs out. Germany, on the other hand, originally expected to spend 1.5 billion euros to get 600,000 old cars off the road. But the program proved so popular, the government this spring raised the budget to 5 billion euros for two million cars and extended the deadline to the end of 2009.

Still, if the alternative is to simply wait for the market to recover on its own, dealers and carmakers in the United States say they will take what they can get.

“It’s better than nothing, that’s for sure,” said George Pipas, the Ford Motor Company’s chief sales analyst. “Anything to get consumers off the couch and give them a reason to go to the dealership.”

The program, formally known as the Car Allowance Rebate System, is aimed at reducing fuel consumption by removing older, gas-guzzling vehicles from the nation’s roads. The cars and trucks turned in will be scrapped and their owners given a credit of either $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new vehicle. The amount of the credit depends on the fuel-efficiency rating of the new vehicle. The official Web site for the program is cars.gov.

In Europe, where nearly a dozen European countries have clunker programs, the details vary. But generally, the programs require only that the vehicle being turned in is old. In Germany, eligible cars have to be at least nine years old, and the subsidy covers the purchase of any new car, regardless of its size or fuel efficiency.

The American program, by contrast, is far more complicated. To qualify, consumers must turn in a vehicle that is no more than 25 years old and has a combined city and highway fuel economy rating of no more than 18 miles per gallon, as calculated by the Environmental Protection Agency. The E.P.A. lists vehicles’ ratings at the Web site FuelEconomy.gov.

The old vehicle must be drivable, and it must have been insured by and registered to the same person for at least the last year, preventing shoppers from buying an old car and flipping it to get a discount on a new vehicle. The credit cannot be applied toward a used vehicle or toward new vehicles that cost more than $45,000.

To get the full $4,500 credit, consumers must buy either a new truck or sport utility vehicle that is rated at least five miles per gallon higher than the scrapped vehicle or a passenger car that is rated at least 10 miles per gallon higher than the scrapped vehicle. Because the old vehicle will be destroyed, the credit is given instead of the regular trade-in value — not in addition to it — though some dealers might compensate customers for the vehicle’s scrap value.

The rules mean that the owner of a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer, which qualifies because it gets about 16 miles per gallon, would get nearly $2,000 less under the program than by making a normal trade-in. Conversely, a 1992 Honda Civic, which is worth only a few hundred dollars, does not qualify because its gas mileage is too high.

“It has to be worth not very much and it also has to get very poor E.P.A. fuel economy,” said Jack R. Nerad, the executive editorial director and market analyst for Kelley Blue Book. “It’s a fairly narrow profile. You’re talking about people who are probably economically challenged to begin with and they have to be able to qualify for a new car purchase in the midst of a deep recession. Those are some difficult parameters.”

But Mr. Nerad said the program could have a broader impact just by encouraging consumers to look at new vehicles, something many have not done because of uncertainty about their jobs and finances during the recession.

“Some people will be moved to check out the program and start shopping for new cars,” he said. “Even if they discover the program won’t work for them, they’ll get the new car bug. Anything that improves dealer traffic generally results in sales increases.”

The day the program starts is still to be determined. The law states it will be whenever the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration finishes its rules for the program, which it must do within 30 days of the law’s being signed on June 24. (The cars.gov site says to “contact your dealer in mid-July.”)

The prospect of the program persuaded Jon Edwards, who owns a 1997 Saab 9000 that is rated at 18 miles per gallon, to visit a Toyota dealership near his home in Freeport, Me. Mr. Edwards, who said he usually buys used vehicles and drives them “into the ground,” decided to buy a 2010 Toyota Prius after finding out that the $4,500 credit he would receive is several thousand dollars more than his Saab is worth. The Prius, a newly redesigned hybrid sedan, gets 50 miles per gallon.

“I have had my eyes on a Prius for a long time. But the program really gave me incentive,” Mr. Edwards said. “It is safe to say that without the program, I would not buy a 2010 Prius.”

Mr. Edwards’s dealer, Adam Lee, who owns a chain of nine showrooms in Maine, said he was excited about the program but wished it required people to buy even more efficient vehicles.

“Most trade-ins will come in with cars worth between zero and $1,000 dollars,” Mr. Lee said. “Because of this, we are expecting to do really well with the program. When people are trading in cars like this, the cars are now worth $3,500 or $4,500.”

Mr. Nerad and other experts say most of the vehicles that will be turned in are likely to be trucks rather than cars, because trucks generally get worse mileage. Twenty-two of the 32 vehicles listed by Consumer Reports as the “best gas guzzlers to junk” for the program are trucks. Mileage requirements for new trucks are more lenient. For the $3,500 credit, new trucks have to get only two miles per gallon better than the old vehicle, while new cars must get at least four miles per gallon more.

In addition, the Detroit automakers, whose sales have suffered the most, could benefit less than import brands. Only eight of the 48 models that Consumer Reports recommends buying under the program are domestic: five from Ford, three from General Motors and none from Chrysler.

In Conroe, Tex., Chris McCollum, the sales manager at Buckalew Chevrolet, hopes the program brings in more shoppers but described it as “not that big of a deal.” A similar program that ran in Texas for about 18 months resulted in about two dozen sales for the dealership, about 40 miles north of Houston.

“People would not be driving a $200 car if they could finance a more expensive car,” Mr. McCollum said. “On the surface, this program looks good and has potential to help dealers. But this is not by any means a saving grace for car dealers.”

Nick Bunkley reported from Detroit and Sara Peters from New York.

Last edited:
H

hazedandinfused

2 words

private seller!!!

then get them to write on the bill of sale that you bought the car for like
$1000 that way your taxes at registration will be waaaay less

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
cruze the classifiedz......find A individual......oldperson......w/ goodolder perfect shape ride.......garagekept......primo.....private deal........7-8 k paid in cash.......
maybe even 2 diffent payment a month apart to just private individual..........
go down together and pay the taxes on the title transfer.......and boom done......
no questions asked simple private and lowkey.......under 10k no redflagz

Tonatiuh

its me Dave man open up the door...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would ask the person to make the selling price lower on the reciept and title,i would make it seem like it would be whats best for both of us as far as the taxes we are gonna have to pay would be....everyperson ive ever done this with has went for it...even once at a car lot when i thought i wouldnt be able to do it,the lot asked me if it was ok that they put a cheaper price so that the taxes would be cheaper for them lol i was like hell yea,i was afraid to ask you guys....we had a laugh and that was that.
....another thing you could do is IF you have a family member you trust,cousin sister aunt brother mother etc...that has a job and a way to say they got the money you could have it put in their name for like a yr and they "resell" it to you for cheap,ya get it?
or even have a fam member get a loan from the bank or credit union for the ride,give them the cash,then do the same thing in a yr....there are many ways to make a purchase if you have a few close fam/friends you can trust...
and really if you think about it all you doin is helpin the bring theyre credit up in the long run...it cant hurt them....also if they smoke,a little appreciation oz. will sweeten the deal.
thats my two cents and i hope it helps.
peace-T-

Latest posts

Latest posts