What's new

Career possibilities in the world of legalized cannabis

Hash Man

Unfortunately, except for BC(I believe it's now allowed) concentrates are illegal in Canada. Also, someone can correct me if I'm incorrect but i believe it also carries a mandatory minimum of 18months in jail. Ridiculous

Nugz

Only colorado has embraced solvent concentrates so far:(
I just realized this is a Canadian thread. Im sure we will see similarities in the usa.

You've never worked in hospitality before, have you? Bartenders "get drunk on the job" all the time. It's part of the gig. You work for tips, and you do what it takes to get those tips out of people. That includes, much of the time, drinking shots that your customers buy for you. A good bartender knows how to "fake it." When I tended bar, I had developed a very stealthy, sleight-of-hand system where I was able to spit the shot into my bar towel right after putting it in my mouth. Most bartenders do not want to be shitfaced while working. But it is part of the job to have to imbibe alcohol, and has no bearing on "professionality" in the hospitality sector.

Sorry to go off topic. :tiphat:
I've worked in a commercial kitchen for a number of years. It all depends as to where you are working. A respectable establishment will have a "no drinking" policy for all of the staff members, bartenders included.
If you work in a lower grade establishment, then perhaps not drinking on the job would constitute as grounds for dismissal, lol.

C

CaliGabe

Just remember this: the people who got rich during California's gold rush back in the 1800s were the ones selling picks and shovels.

FWIW :tiphat:
I've been telling people that for years. Early growers, when outdoor was well over $4k/lb did great and those that invested their profits are retired. Pick and shovel companies have done well from the start and doesn't matter to them what the price per lb is. They're just going to do better in coming years.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Buddington, that must be what they told the kitchen staff so that they wouldn't think it was unfair, lol. I spent over ten years as a bartender, in corporate environments, upscale establishments, places that made me wear long sleeves so that my tattoos didn't show... And never did I encounter a place that said bartenders can't drink. Such a place wouldn't make any money. Now, I can see maybe family-oriented restaurants that have bars in them going down that route, but they are the exceptions to the rule.

At any rate, I do look forward to seeing the eventual cannabis equivalent of a bar. And I don't mean coffee shops, like Amsterdam style. I want to wash that dab down with an IPA.

Buddha1

Veteran
Some people are saying how $15-20 isn't a bad wage...I suppose it depends on where you are living etc, but @$20 that works out to be about $40k a year....Pretty piss poor incentive for most of us with day jobs...and if your cashcropping on the side....even worse...

Why would anyone take a pay-cut to make a handful of investors rich? One of the reasons some of us are successful basement growers is that we reap what we sow....so we bust our asses and in return we enjoy our AAA.

Now if I was growing for someone else...would I put as much passion in it knowing my wage won't change either way...m'eh probably not... It is just how the daily grind works...any employer knows how this story goes.

$20.00 is a good starting wage...Since there are no standards to go by at present. It would be perfect for the person on disability or medically retired with years of growing experience with the MMAR.

As far as those with day jobs, its also a good starting wage. They could work part time(evenings, weekends, etc.) and still remained employed at there regular job. Work the part time thing for a year or so, gathering documented experience that could be used on resume later. Take the first year to prove your worth to the LP and the organization your working for, then ask for a raise and a permanent position. If there's no interest, put your documented resume to work for you. Once you get another job that pays more and is permanent full time, you could approach your present LP and give them the chance to "Beat or Meet" your new offer. If things are not to your liking with the old...Jump ship to the new. With a couple "Documented" years of experience, you will be calling the shots not the employer.

As I see it...Documented experience is worth its weight in gold, far more then the $20.00/hr you are being paid at first. The first individuals that get on with a LP and takes advantage of the new opportunity's of this new industry will be making 6 figures in 5-10 years.

Its the job that's important...Right now!...Not the wage!!!

Documented experience will be the asset that will get you the cash in the future. It will be the people that can see the big picture and the future that picture paints, that will do well in the new Marijuana industry. Those that are of narrow sight and vision and can't see the big picture, will be the people that loose out on a great employment opportunity.

We all can't or don't want too or have the cash too, be LP's...No reason we can't work at something we love and get paid for doing it.

Its not work, if you love what you do...Just my 2 cents.

Peace...B

ortsa1

you guys are so funny

this business will work like any other business

owner/partners 90% of profits

8% consultants/builders

2% brown wage slaves and temporary workers

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Thats similar to a bartender getting drunk on the job. Personally I don't think that many medical patients want to go into a dispensary through a cloud of smoke to hear "Hey, dude, what bud do you want?"
Experience is essential, but so is professionalism.

I'd sooner buy buds from someone smoking them, then someone "professional". Your comparison of Alcohol and Cannabis is poor. Alcohol is debilitating, Cannabis would not interfere with many peoples work. I am also talking about a job in the future recreational market, not medicinal. In the future I see dutch style coffee shops selling herb(maybe something similar to a Cannabis "bar") . If the guy behind the counter sounds like a salesman, and isn't smoking herb, I think I would move onto another shop. The future does look good for Cannabis jobs anyway.

As with every market, there will be a variety of niches to fill.
By the way, I compared alcohol to cannabis as in two regulated substances used for recreational purposes, not their effects on the user.
Personally, I would prefer to get my medicine from a clean, "pharmacy-like" environment, preferably from an educated and intelligent sales associate.
To each their own...

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I, for one, want to be able to purchase a dab or two from the same establishment I'm buying pints of beer at. This better become an option in the legalized era!! Hops and buds go together like kool-aid and sugar.

diffusing

I, for one, want to be able to purchase a dab or two from the same establishment I'm buying pints of beer at. This better become an option in the legalized era!! Hops and buds go together like kool-aid and sugar.

ya i was disappointed my last trip to holland. they no longer allow alcohol sales in coffee shops. you gotta go next door. i miss the days of landing in AMS, hitting greenhouse effect for a fresh pint of heineken and whatever the greenhouse special of the day was, before hitting the hotel. ahh. the good old days. apparently the tourists from certain countries ruined it due to their 'disruptive' behavior. or so i'm told. it was good while it lasted.

Buddha1

Veteran
you guys are so funny

this business will work like any other business

owner/partners 90% of profits

8% consultants/builders

2% brown wage slaves and temporary workers

Your referring to businesses that have been established in our society for years.

Yes, there are plenty of people with experience that can work at them, making the employment with them very competitive and the edge given to the employer over the employee. In ten years the Marijuana Industry will be in the same boat, plenty of people experienced and competing for existing jobs and once again the edge will be with the employer, not the employee.

But for the next year or two there are very few people with the experience needed to succeed in this brand new market. The ball is in there court...BIG TIME!!!

People can sit back and make a fair to middling wages/money in the ever shrinking bootleg/black market of Cannabis, that will most certainly be very short lived. Or they can realize they are in demand and slide over to the only new industry to develop since the video game industry of over 20 years ago. I'm sure there were a lot of people saying the same thing when booze went legal again too("Don't worry!!...There will always be a black market, we'll be fine!"). But it was the people with the foresight about booze that went into the legal market that became successful and some even wealthy. Try and find a bootlegger today that can even come close to the legal Alcohol products that are offered today. If you can find one at all, they are usually just supporting a booze habit with there bootlegging business and certainly no one is getting rich anymore. Its sad to say...but what happened to booze, is the future of bootleg/black market pot as well. The world wants Marijuana legal, it will be legal...eventually there will be no room for a bootleg market either.

All I'm saying is don't be the person that follows a well beaten path...Be the person who makes the path others follow. And success will be yours almost ever time! Don't be one of the hundreds, if not thousands, of people in 20 years saying..."I could have gotten in on the ground floor of "Pot" 20 years ago and been set for life...But, I screwed up and there's no money in it anymore".

Peace...B

Buddha1

Veteran
Get real guys unless you were in with an lp on the ground floor your looking at 12.50 an hour, that's tilrays starting wage.

No matter where you live or what you do. There's always that one guy/girl that always shoots down everyone's plans to get ahead in the world.

If your going to be a gamer...Its a tough racket...Your wasting your time, why bother, waste of time.
If your going to be a teacher...Cost to much and takes to long...You'll never make it, waste of time.
If your going to be a Rock Star or Movie Star...To many people trying, its all luck anyways, not talent...You'll never make it, waste of time.

No matter what a guy dreams or aspires to become, that person, "Mr. or Mrs. Negativity", always puts it down. I think they are just too afraid to try themselves, because they themselves are terrified of failure. They don't want to be the only one's not trying, that are unhappy in there life, so they tromp on the dreams of others. There are Gamers, Teachers, Rock Stars, Movie Stars, all sorts of people doing what they love for a living and more coming every day and they all have one thing in common...They were all told the same thing..."Don't even try...You'll never make it, waste of time"...by that one guy/girl.

If you have talent and drive, you have a chance at doing what ever it is that you dream of doing. Don't listen to the "Mr. Nay-Sayers" of the world. You have as much chance as the people that make it and if you don't make it, you can at least say you gave it your best shot.

Not trying is the worst kind of failure...Because you didn't even try.

Peace...B

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
No matter where you live or what you do. There's always that one guy/girl that always shoots down everyone's plans to get ahead in the world.

If your going to be a gamer...Its a tough racket...Your wasting your time, why bother, waste of time.
If your going to be a teacher...Cost to much and takes to long...You'll never make it, waste of time.
If your going to be a Rock Star or Movie Star...To many people trying, its all luck anyways, not talent...You'll never make it, waste of time.

No matter what a guy dreams or aspires to become, that person, "Mr. or Mrs. Negativity", always puts it down. I think they are just too afraid to try themselves, because they themselves are terrified of failure. They don't want to be the only one's not trying, that are unhappy in there life, so they tromp on the dreams of others. There are Gamers, Teachers, Rock Stars, Movie Stars, all sorts of people doing what they love for a living and more coming every day and they all have one thing in common...They were all told the same thing..."Don't even try...You'll never make it, waste of time"...by that one guy/girl.

If you have talent and drive, you have a chance at doing what ever it is that you dream of doing. Don't listen to the "Mr. Nay-Sayers" of the world. You have as much chance as the people that make it and if you don't make it, you can at least say you gave it your best shot.

Not trying is the worst kind of failure...Because you didn't even try.

Peace...B

Nice post. His name is Dick Williams though. :tiphat:

SeedsOfFreedom

Veteran
Please. These MMPR companies hire people at minimum wage. Fuck them.

Some will pay minimum wage, some of them will pay better, and I would not be surprised if the companies with better paid employees have better products with less issues. Think of the security risk with a bunch of minimum wage people running about hundred of kilos of bud! Not to mention the general lack of motivation minimum wage creates. It could be more productive to just pay them reasonably. Then you get workers that care about making a good product. Paying workers 20-25 $ an hour to start isn't that big of cost, when compared to the hydro required for an MMPR grow. As things progress for recreational use, there will be many high paying jobs open up.
There is also the swing side of the picture, are you the consumer willing to pay the extra $ required to pay employees 25-30+$ an hour? All costs involved do have to come back to the consumer eventually. I myself would rather pay more for a good product made by fairly paid people, but sadly I think I am a minority in this respect.
I also think minimum wage is bullshit . It should be raised immediately to at least 15$ an hour. If business can't afford that they are fucked soon enough anyway. Not trying to argue tomjones , I like you and enjoy your posts. Just want to bring up some more thought about MMPR wages.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Think how easily a disgruntled minimum wage worker could wreak havoc on a large grow just by introducing broad mites or some of the un-named scourges that are affecting growers now. It would be so easy to destroy an entire grow just by introducing pathogens.

Latest posts

Latest posts