What's new

carbon filtr. best brands

LEDNewbie

Veteran
Alright, so if bigger is better then, I'm thinking of going with the Max Can 14" since its quieter than the 12" version and also uses less electricity. Also thinking of putting the Can-Trol Speed Controller on it and reducing the speed 40% when the temperature in the room doesn't need to be cooled down.

What about Carbon FIlter, don't think I have access to these Mountain Air Filters but do have access to Can FIlters. Wich is the best to get? The Can 150 Filter or the "Max Filter"? Max filter weighs less and seems to be smaller than the Can 150, but it costs about $50 more.

If I go with this setup, even with very stinky bud, would I be OK for smell on the exaust or will it still stink a little? Just trying to figure out if I can get away without having to install a dedicated air scrubber as well.

Thanks guys....

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
I don't know any "Max filters" do you mean MountainAir? I think Can had a Max version, said they were discontinued on their site. Those were for really big grows I guess. The Cans were recommended over the Can-lite and 38 Special models from them.

You shouldn't smell much of anything really, even at the exhaust.

the gnome

Veteran
What about Carbon FIlter, don't think I have access to these Mountain Air Filters but do have access to Can FIlters. Wich is the best to get? The Can 150 Filter or the "Max Filter"? Max filter weighs less and seems to be smaller than the Can 150, but it costs about $50 more.

If I go with this setup, even with very stinky bud, would I be OK for smell on the exaust or will it still stink a little? Just trying to figure out if I can get away without having to install a dedicated air scrubber as well.

Thanks guys....

on the carbon filter, i have a can 50 and a can 150
both have specs on the amount of charcoal and bed thickness so you can compare that against the mt air filter and see whats best from that perspective

as far as smell on the exhaust there are a lot of variables involved with that Q.
on my current grow I'm using a can 50
w/elicent 6" inline and its also hooked in with the 2 1KW lamps for cooling. standing where its dumped
when it 1st fires up you can smell *something*on the exhaust
impossible to pinpoint what it is
but it doesn't smell like cannabis... ;)

Stonefree69

Veteran
Alright, so if bigger is better then, I'm thinking of going with the Max Can 14" since its quieter than the 12" version and also uses less electricity. Also thinking of putting the Can-Trol Speed Controller on it and reducing the speed 40% when the temperature in the room doesn't need to be cooled down.
Those variac speed controllers from Can are expensive, over $200! I try to steer away from them and the fans that require them. My speed controllers (Active Air and HTG Supply) are about $20 and seem to avoid those humming issues. I use the Cap Valuline but there are other similar makes.

there goes edro

Veteran
Can filters are the best! Never skimp on ordor control. No smell, no tell, and no sell will have you rolling pounds of homegrown for years to come!!!

PeopleWish

seems like my filters give off a mildey smell after a few months of use;

how can you tell if its time to replace your can filter, other than the obvious.

eyes

Veteran
seems like my filters give off a mildey smell after a few months of use;

how can you tell if its time to replace your can filter, other than the obvious.

exactly. seems they work well for a few months then give off a musty smell thereafter.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I started a thread on it when I bought another Mountain Air a couple of weeks ago, but it's probably fallen off into the bit bucket by now. These guys have prices so low that I was concerned about it being legitimate but the filter showed up in about 3 days.

http://www.ehydroponics.com/

2buds

Go with the biggest one can fit and afford, if you can't smell it that's all that matters. Been using Can brand for years. I run mine 24/7. I built a pre-filter box around it with a pleated furnace filter catching all the heavy dust. AT $200+ a pop, I'm trying to get all the life I can out of my Can. I also run sealed lights that are set-up using external air with the fan attached to a thermostat so in the winter I can use the heat from those 1000w HPS.

Stonefree69

Veteran
I started a thread on it when I bought another Mountain Air a couple of weeks ago, but it's probably fallen off into the bit bucket by now. These guys have prices so low that I was concerned about it being legitimate but the filter showed up in about 3 days.

Thanks, I have a few other favorites like Greentrees Hydroponics, Horticulture Source and lately Hydro Galaxy among a few others. MountainAir is cheaper on ehydroponics. Looks like a real brick & mortar store in Scotts Valley, CA. Some sites criss-cross w/cheapest prices among makes/models.

eyes

Veteran

can u send these guys a m.o. without having to register? what filter did u get this round? how was the stealth?

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
I waited til the shop had a 20% off day and picked up the can150. Best decision I've made in awhile.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
can u send these guys a m.o. without having to register? what filter did u get this round? how was the stealth?

I have no idea how a money order would work, and don't know what you mean by register - I just called them and put it on my credit card. I bought the 8" x 40", and the packaging was very discreet. UPS had punched a hole in the box, luckily everything was undamaged. The sticker on the box and the bill of lading said "Delicate Instruments", and the return address was just "Shipping Department". Apparently they like to send the larger filters via truck freight, palletized with dark shrink wrap over the whole assembly.

Stonefree69

Veteran
UPS had punched a hole in the box, luckily everything was undamaged. The sticker on the box and the bill of lading said "Delicate Instruments", and the return address was just "Shipping Department". Apparently they like to send the larger filters via truck freight, palletized with dark shrink wrap over the whole assembly.
I guess the UPS people heard a "play soccer whistle" when they saw "Delicate Instruments". I know a lot of high end audio dealers who won't go NEAR UPS and pick Fedex or some other carrier. They simply can't afford the hassle w/the number of packages they ship even w/insurance. Hope they have another option besides UPS.