What's new

Carbon Filters, are the cheap ebay ones any good?

negative37dBA

Veteran
I use a Can Filter 50 for a room that is 142 cubic feet. Very oversized but I have used it for over a year and a half 24/7. It is mated with a Fantech 303 cfm inline on a speed control that is dialed down to about 60% of maximum. I check my exhaust regularly and I can put my face in the end of the ducting and no odor.
Go high quality and oversized. You can always run it a bit slower. Can Filter is my choice.
Also what Hammerhead said is correct. Less cost and MUCH less hassle to buy instead of replace. I changed out a 9000. Carbon is dirty. Now I buy. Brand new Can 50 for about $160 shipped.

Rabbi

I pulled the trigger on a couple phat filters 600cfm's and will be matching them up with a couple "Ostberg" 600cfm fans.

S

Scrappy-doo

I would recommend getting a slightly higher cfm filter than your fan has. For instance I have a 720 cfm fan and a 950 cfm phat filter.

It will be easier on the fan and the filter, and it's a little more security for you in the odor department. Why take chances? Filter will probably last a little longer that way too.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Beware, if you undersize the fan too much you won't utilize the full length of the carbon jacket.

To test, I usually smoke a joint and let it smolder close to the filter. You want to make sure the smoke is moving about the same velocity into the filter along its entire length.

Not 100% sure on this but doesn't every brand with the exeption of CAN come from China?

My money is on they all come from the same few factories. I purchased a 6" off of ebay 2 years ago and it works well. It's not in the same league as a CAN filter based on my observations but when compared to the other imports, it looks identical.

irobot sd

Interesting story, I went to my local hydro store earlier this week asking them if they can order a PHAT filter. They don't carry this brand but they did have them in their wholesale catalog. The 8x39" Phat was going to come out to around $160-180 out the door after they get it shipped. After chit chatin with the mgr after 15 seconds he said he'd let me take a 8x40" CAN Filter for $225. For about $50 more i got the name brand I wanted and the store got the sale & kept a primo custy.. word

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dont forget that all carbon is not created equal. You need to use carbon thats for voc's. The carbon you buy for water is not the same. It is a lower quality carbon.. The scrubbers we buy use the right type of carbon. This is the correct type of Carbon you would need to buy(Iodine No., mg/g: 1100) and then find a way to shake the can to refill it. When I use to do this I used a couple of hand sanders to vibrate the can while filling. I dont do it anymore the price for the right carbon is expensive. Just buy a new unit its much more cost effective now..

http://www.generalcarbon.com/vapor20.htm

Rabbi

Not 100% sure on this but doesn't every brand with the exeption of CAN come from China?

My money is on they all come from the same few factories. I purchased a 6" off of ebay 2 years ago and it works well. It's not in the same league as a CAN filter based on my observations but when compared to the other imports, it looks identical.

Does anyone know if this is true? I certainly hope not since I just ordered 2 Phat filters.

that's just an educated guess on my part, didn't say that's the way it is.. The distributor and retailer often earn their markup with service. If you don't get what you paid for, send it back. You often don't get the same warranty or service from an ebay vendor, although some of them are better than online stores as a result of ebays strict policies and the feedback system.

Rabbi

that's just an educated guess on my part, didn't say that's the way it is.. The distributor and retailer often earn their markup with service. If you don't get what you paid for, send it back. You often don't get the same warranty or service from an ebay vendor, although some of them are better than online stores as a result of ebays strict policies and the feedback system.

I didnt end up buyin from ebay I used the link irobotsd posted(big thx by the way) but still...

irobot sd

yeah i was looking at some online comparisons about a week ago. From what I gathered the PHAT seems like it may be a better choice over the PHRESH. Phresh had mixed reviews leaning towards the negative side. Phat seems pretty decent and the price is right so if you bought 2 that sounds legit 2 me. Please follow up with some feedback on the phat I'd like to know. I almost pulled the trigger & orded a phat a week ago till i went to my hydro store & they talked me out of it as mentioned in the last post. peace

eyes

Veteran
I use a Can Filter 50 for a room that is 142 cubic feet. Very oversized but I have used it for over a year and a half 24/7. It is mated with a Fantech 303 cfm inline on a speed control that is dialed down to about 60% of maximum. I check my exhaust regularly and I can put my face in the end of the ducting and no odor.
Go high quality and oversized. You can always run it a bit slower. Can Filter is my choice.
Also what Hammerhead said is correct. Less cost and MUCH less hassle to buy instead of replace. I changed out a 9000. Carbon is dirty. Now I buy. Brand new Can 50 for about $160 shipped.

i wouldnt mind knowing where i can get a can 50 for 160 shipped. there all over 200 my way. i only got 5 months or 1 run out of a mountain air. id be happy to get 1 yr out of a filter .never happens.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
:good: Nothing wrong at all with PHAT Filters Rabbi :D
Just make sure your fans are not too much under-powered for the size filter you got, as mentioned you want to take advantage of the whole sleeve of carbon having air sucked through it, not just near the fan when the fan is under-powered :D
:joint:

Rabbi

:good: Nothing wrong at all with PHAT Filters Rabbi :D
Just make sure your fans are not too much under-powered for the size filter you got, as mentioned you want to take advantage of the whole sleeve of carbon having air sucked through it, not just near the fan when the fan is under-powered :D
:joint:

Good to hear. And I also will be running a 600cfm fan with the 600cfm filter no worries.

PhenotypeX

Check Amazon.com, its wayy better than ebay. I used to use Ebay until i got tired of all the paypal bullshit plus they dont accept debit cards and its just really inconvenient trying to buy something from ebay. Amazon is super easy to buy from, cheaper prices, more selection, and they back things up like its way easier to get a refund from amazon if you need one, the customer service is superb. Ebay customer service is a joke, its the definition of bad customer service.

BIGGS

Veteran
when it comes to filters never buy cheap bro, always buy the best you can afford. makes it easier to sleep at night, for me anyway.

negative37dBA

Veteran
i wouldnt mind knowing where i can get a can 50 for 160 shipped. there all over 200 my way. i only got 5 months or 1 run out of a mountain air. id be happy to get 1 yr out of a filter .never happens.

Overstock.com.
They have several sizes and are a real bargin. Alows you to upsize without the cost penalty.
Always go big on the filter.

Link to my curent grow diary
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=235661