What's new

Carbon Filter disposal?

G

First off let me say this isnt my first post on this fine site. Ive had a different name, until I deleted it. Anyways, Ive got a Can 100 carbon filter that just doesnt get the job done anymore.

Does anybody have any suggestions on the best environmentally sound way to dispose of one of these monsters? :chin:

G

No ideas huh? How does everybody else get rid of these filters? Maybe Ill just reuse it for something else

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
It can be recycled and re- activated.I've never actually re activated any myself but, it does require a very hot furnace or kiln.

argo 430

just reuse it

just reuse it

I saw replacement carbon at worms way. Take the top off (you might have to drill the screws off/out if the heads are missing) dump out old carbon , fill up new carbon shake unit top off carbon, put top back on and wa la your ready to rock and roll for another 8 mo.

Last edited:
J

James-Bong

I Was told that the Carbon was packed in too tighly to be replaced by hand...

G

I don't think it would be packed in too tightly. Otherwise, how would it work?

G

I guess I'll have to take it apart and find out...I thought I was going to have to buy another one for sure. Re-using them would save me a decent chunk of change. If I remeber right they were almost $300.

J

James-Bong

I was told by someone once... that the Carbon was Packed from the Factory
By a Machine.... and it was too hard to Repack it by hand..... like i said i don't know if this is true.... if it isn't true well.... then i guess i might try to repack my Can 50 in the future. http://www.canfilters.com/canfilters_50.html

mtnjohn

Veteran
the filters are filled using a vibration plate so that the factory fill is totally effective. you can refill them yourself and it will work, but you should find a way to vibrate the filter to make the most of its design, should'nt be that much of a problem. we are more crafty than we sometimes think.

valk

I have the can 66 and I need to refill mine ASAP, it's lost about 50% of it's effectivity in the last 2-3 months. :yoinks:

After examining it, I have to drill out the factory rivits, dump old carbon, then have my friend shake the hell out of it while I feed the carbon in with a funnel/hose. :dueling:

While the filter was awesome for the first 6 or months, I think in hindsight I would have rather built one and got a vaportek to cover me in times like this.

Last edited:
G

Thought I would update...I didnt have to drill out the factory screws, found some Bosch screwdriving bits with a square head at Lowe's.

The carbon was loose not packed, poured out easily. The one problem is that the carbon is to costly to replace. At worm's way its 75.00 for a 25lb container. Petco has carbon for something like 7oz for 12 bucks.

I think it would take quite a few of these to replace the carbon in my Can100. Has anyone ever ordered this carbon before? Im beginning to think it would be cheaper to just buy another filter.

G

Ebay has it the cheapest Ive seen even with the shipping...Anybody have a clue how much a Can100 holds? Im guessing around 75lbs

need to watch out some carbon on ebay has been used many times. get it from a good source, might be getting someone used carbon. smell it! a couple of extra dollars and get new.

G

I use Crystal Kitty litter as a replacement. Cheaper and has its own chemically smell. Noone ever guesses its anything except my cats! LOL

Latest posts

Latest posts